From: max...@tea.time (max.it)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: Bye Bye Johnny
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 12:34:03 +0100
 by: max.it - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 11:34 UTC

This could be a tricky start.

max.it

Re: Bye Bye Johnny

<R9MouvAfPhAlFwfe@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28176&group=uk.sport.cricket#28176

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: Re: Bye Bye Johnny
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 20:56:15 +0100
 by: John Hall - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 19:56 UTC

In message <rf73gip89qoublh2d15mkpa14vpqosgu9n@4ax.com>, max. it
<max@tea.time> writes

>This could be a tricky start.
>
>max.it

It was, but only for about ten minutes. :)
--
John Hall "[It was] so steep that at intervals the street broke into steps,
like a person breaking into giggles or hiccups, and then resumed

Re: Bye Bye Johnny

<b674gi1a9qr05sdjdc6qv7shqj1j1o9m6g@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28177&group=uk.sport.cricket#28177

From: max...@tea.time (max.it)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 21:35:25 +0100
 by: max.it - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 20:35 UTC

On Wed, 13 Sep 2023 20:56:15 +0100, John Hall
<john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> wrote:

>In message <rf73gip89qoublh2d15mkpa14vpqosgu9n@4ax.com>, max. it
><max@tea.time> writes
>>
>>This could be a tricky start.
>>
>>max.it
>
>It was, but only for about ten minutes. :)

A bit of a false dawn for NZ.

max.it

Re: Bye Bye Johnny

<b4130bc0-4bfc-4ded-96b1-8b6344ae89b9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28186&group=uk.sport.cricket#28186

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 15:42:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 22:42 UTC

On Wednesday, September 13, 2023 at 8:57:40 PM UTC+1, John Hall wrote:
> In message <rf73gip89qoublh2d...@4ax.com>, max. it
> <m...@tea.time> writes
> >
> >This could be a tricky start.
> >
> >max.it
> It was, but only for about ten minutes. :)
> --

series hasnt been great for root so far; 6,0,4

dont think buttlers captaincy is as good as morgan. often he looks
rather lost when the other team are on top. if were inconsistant
on home pitches, i think we might struggle in india.

elswhere RSA finally managed to beat oz after 5 consecutive defeats
[t20 & odi], even though marsh is captain.

mike

Re: Bye Bye Johnny

<Phfne0Al3BBlFwVM@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28188&group=uk.sport.cricket#28188

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 10:03:33 +0100
 by: John Hall - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 09:03 UTC

In message <b4130bc0-4bfc-4ded-96b1-8b6344ae89b9n@googlegroups.com>,
mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>series hasnt been great for root so far; 6,0,4

Indeed. There's been all this discussion about who might miss out if
Brooke is added to the WC squad and in the best XI, but Root's name is
never mentioned. Not that I'm saying he should definitely be the one
omitted, but it's odd that his inclusion should be taken for granted.

>dont think buttlers captaincy is as good as morgan. often he looks
>rather lost when the other team are on top.

You can be not as good a captain as Morgan but still pretty good,
though. I think Buttler has been handicapped by the absence of Wood and
with Rashid - even when fit - seeming a bit out of form. And of course
NZ are a very good side.

> if were inconsistant on home pitches, i think we might struggle in
>india.

Apparently Indian pitches are likely to offer more for the quicks in
October than they would earlier in the year. But a lot is going to
depend on Rashid being fit and on song. One advantage England is that,
if the pitch looks likely to turn, they can play all of Moeen,
Livingstone and Root in addition to Rashid without weakening the
batting.

>elswhere RSA finally managed to beat oz after 5 consecutive defeats
>[t20 & odi], even though marsh is captain.

Yes, well done them. It must have come as a relief.

Also elsewhere, I see that Nat Sciver-Brunt and Maia Bouchier put on a
very decent imitation of Stokes and Malan in yesterday's ODI against SL.
--
John Hall "[It was] so steep that at intervals the street broke into steps,
like a person breaking into giggles or hiccups, and then resumed
its sober climb, until it had another fit of steps."
Ursula K Le Guin "The Beginning Place"

Re: Bye Bye Johnny

<9947f728-ac18-47fe-86aa-65bc016b8d3bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28194&group=uk.sport.cricket#28194

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 15:55:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Sat, 16 Sep 2023 22:55 UTC

On Friday, September 15, 2023 at 10:07:56 AM UTC+1, John Hall wrote:
> In message <b4130bc0-4bfc-4ded...@googlegroups.com>,
> mike <dmik...@yahoo.co.uk> writes
> >series hasnt been great for root so far; 6,0,4
> Indeed. There's been all this discussion about who might miss out if
> Brooke is added to the WC squad and in the best XI, but Root's name is
> never mentioned. Not that I'm saying he should definitely be the one
> omitted, but it's odd that his inclusion should be taken for granted.

I think Brook has missed his chance to muscle in, so I expect it will
be the usual batters, although if Roy ever becomes fit, who will
they leave out? I read that hes just signed a 300k deal to play in
the new USA league, perhaps brook has too, since he had the
label on his bat during the ashes.

> > if were inconsistant on home pitches, i think we might struggle in
> >india.
> Apparently Indian pitches are likely to offer more for the quicks in
> October than they would earlier in the year. But a lot is going to
> depend on Rashid being fit and on song. One advantage England is that,
> if the pitch looks likely to turn, they can play all of Moeen,
> Livingstone and Root in addition to Rashid without weakening the
> batting.

at least ali and the doc had a good bowlout in these matches, although
LL was saying during the 100 he was still troubled by the ankle injury.
Malan got the MVP award deservedly but hes not the greatest vs spin,
especially leftys, so the fact that neither root bairstow or roy have much
form going into a WC is a worry. But they still have the matches vs Ireland
to embarass themselves.

there was a shot of stokes and archer together, BS was holding his knee,
and jofra was rubbing his elbow sleeve, so perhaps both have been bowling ;)
and wood was lying down.

For NZ, ravinder looks a great prospect for the WC in india.

> >elswhere RSA finally managed to beat oz after 5 consecutive defeats
> >[t20 & odi], even though marsh is captain.
> Yes, well done them. It must have come as a relief.

and now theyre on a roll, oz total thrashing. Klaasen 57 ball 100. saw some
hilites seemed he only hit 6s! oz 2nd xi mainly.

> Also elsewhere, I see that Nat Sciver-Brunt and Maia Bouchier put on a
> very decent imitation of Stokes and Malan in yesterday's ODI against SL.

i admit i dont watch this much but without NSB and eccles the women
often seem to struggle.

mike
> --

Re: Bye Bye Johnny

<KYTRUsAluqBlFwGa@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28197&group=uk.sport.cricket#28197

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 08:32:53 +0100
 by: John Hall - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 07:32 UTC

In message <9947f728-ac18-47fe-86aa-65bc016b8d3bn@googlegroups.com>,
mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>On Friday, September 15, 2023 at 10:07:560 >> In message <b4130bc0-4bfc-4ded...@googlegroups.com>,
>> mike <dmik...@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>> >series hasnt been great for root so far; 6,0,4
>> Indeed. There's been all this discussion about who might miss out if
>> Brooke is added to the WC squad and in the best XI, but Root's name is
>> never mentioned. Not that I'm saying he should definitely be the one
>> omitted, but it's odd that his inclusion should be taken for granted.
>> >

>I think Brook has missed his chance to muscle in,

Yep.

> so I expect it will
>be the usual batters, although if Roy ever becomes fit, who will
>they leave out?

I imagine they'll draft him into the squad to play Ireland in the hope
that he can show that he's fit. Even assuming that he does, I think
he'll start as the "spare" batsman in India and will have to wait for
his chance.

> I read that hes just signed a 300k deal to play in
>the new USA league, perhaps brook has too, since he had the
>label on his bat during the ashes.
>
>> > if were inconsistant on home pitches, i think we might struggle in
>> >india.
>> Apparently Indian pitches are likely to offer more for the quicks in
>> October than they would earlier in the year. But a lot is going to
>> depend on Rashid being fit and on song. One advantage England is that,
>> if the pitch looks likely to turn, they can play all of Moeen,
>> Livingstone and Root in addition to Rashid without weakening the
>> batting.
>
>at least ali and the doc had a good bowlout in these matches, although
>LL was saying during the 100 he was still troubled by the ankle injury.
>Malan got the MVP award deservedly but hes not the greatest vs spin,
>especially leftys,

He can't be THAT bad, considering he's averaging over 50 in the format
with a strike rate of about 95.

> so the fact that neither root bairstow or roy have much
>form going into a WC is a worry. But they still have the matches vs Ireland
>to embarass themselves.

Though none of them are in the squad against Ireland, which is very much
an "England A" selection. I expect they'll draft in Roy, if fit, to give
him some game time, but it seems unlikely that they'll bring in Root or
Bairstow.

>there was a shot of stokes and archer together, BS was holding his knee,
>and jofra was rubbing his elbow sleeve, so perhaps both have been bowling ;)
>and wood was lying down.

Archer is supposed to be pretty close to full fitness now.

>For NZ, ravinder looks a great prospect for the WC in india.

He does. Hopefully they can find a space for him in their XI.

>> >elswhere RSA finally managed to beat oz after 5 consecutive defeats
>> >[t20 & odi], even though marsh is captain.
>> Yes, well done them. It must have come as a relief.
>
>and now theyre on a roll, oz total thrashing. Klaasen 57 ball 100. saw some
>hilites seemed he only hit 6s! oz 2nd xi mainly.

A number of people are saying he's now the best white ball batsman
around.

>> Also elsewhere, I see that Nat Sciver-Brunt and Maia Bouchier put on a
>> very decent imitation of Stokes and Malan in yesterday's ODI against SL.
>
>i admit i dont watch this much but without NSB and eccles the women
>often seem to struggle.

I suppose it's like the men being without Stokes are Rashid (though
Ecclestone bowls orthodox slow left-arm, of course - even though she's
built to be a fast bowler).
--
John Hall "[It was] so steep that at intervals the street broke into steps,
like a person breaking into giggles or hiccups, and then resumed
its sober climb, until it had another fit of steps."
Ursula K Le Guin "The Beginning Place"

Re: Bye Bye Johnny

<e39517a8-969d-46a9-b41c-7a384458cd9dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28213&group=uk.sport.cricket#28213

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 07:47:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 14:47 UTC

On Sunday, September 17, 2023 at 8:39:13 AM UTC+1, John Hall wrote:
> In message <9947f728-ac18-47fe...@googlegroups.com>,
> mike <dmik...@yahoo.co.uk> writes
> >On Friday, September 15, 2023 at 10:07:560 >> In message <b4130bc0-4bfc-4ded...@googlegroups.com>,
> >> mike <dmik...@yahoo.co.uk> writes
> >
> >I think Brook has missed his chance to muscle in,
> Yep.
> > so I expect it will
> >be the usual batters, although if Roy ever becomes fit, who will
> >they leave out?
> I imagine they'll draft him into the squad to play Ireland in the hope
> that he can show that he's fit. Even assuming that he does, I think
> he'll start as the "spare" batsman in India and will have to wait for
> his chance.

well it must be more serious than just back pain as Brook has been
chosen for the WC and Roy left out. I've never really warmed to JR,
but they will miss his experience, plus hes an excellent fielder -
the runout that won the last WC - although so is Brook.

> > so the fact that neither root bairstow or roy have much
> >form going into a WC is a worry. But they still have the matches vs Ireland
> >to embarass themselves.
> Though none of them are in the squad against Ireland, which is very much
> an "England A" selection. I expect they'll draft in Roy, if fit, to give
> him some game time, but it seems unlikely that they'll bring in Root or
> Bairstow.

oh dear, they not taking ireland seriously. expect a major embarrasment.

Zak is captain having only ever played 3 odis before. Dont think durham
be too happy losing both Potts and Carse, although they are almost promoted
back to div1. George Scrimshaw must have impressed someone ,
presumably taylor or whittaker. Would have prefered to see joverton rather
than coverton, but poss hes injured again. Although itll be interesting to see
how hain and smith do, i think it would have been better to give Root
and bairstow some more batting time before the WC.

mike

Re: Bye Bye Johnny

<4v5egih1hp2iad2rkcpbl3getibl7kkidi@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28215&group=uk.sport.cricket#28215

From: max...@tea.time (max.it)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 16:17:53 +0100
 by: max.it - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 15:17 UTC

On Sun, 17 Sep 2023 07:47:34 -0700 (PDT), mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

>On Sunday, September 17, 2023 at 8:39:13?AM UTC+1, John Hall wrote:
>> In message <9947f728-ac18-47fe...@googlegroups.com>,
>> mike <dmik...@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>> >On Friday, September 15, 2023 at 10:07:560 >> In message <b4130bc0-4bfc-4ded...@googlegroups.com>,
>> >
>> >I think Brook has missed his chance to muscle in,
>> Yep.
>> > so I expect it will
>> >be the usual batters, although if Roy ever becomes fit, who will
>> >they leave out?
>> I imagine they'll draft him into the squad to play Ireland in the hope
>> that he can show that he's fit. Even assuming that he does, I think
>> he'll start as the "spare" batsman in India and will have to wait for
>> his chance.
>
>well it must be more serious than just back pain as Brook has been
>chosen for the WC and Roy left out. I've never really warmed to JR,
>but they will miss his experience, plus hes an excellent fielder -
>the runout that won the last WC - although so is Brook.
>
>> > so the fact that neither root bairstow or roy have much
>> >form going into a WC is a worry. But they still have the matches vs Ireland
>> >to embarass themselves.
>> Though none of them are in the squad against Ireland, which is very much
>> an "England A" selection. I expect they'll draft in Roy, if fit, to give
>> him some game time, but it seems unlikely that they'll bring in Root or
>> Bairstow.
>
>oh dear, they not taking ireland seriously. expect a major embarrasment.
>
>Zak is captain having only ever played 3 odis before. Dont think durham
>be too happy losing both Potts and Carse, although they are almost promoted
>back to div1. George Scrimshaw must have impressed someone ,
>presumably taylor or whittaker. Would have prefered to see joverton rather
>than coverton, but poss hes injured again. Although itll be interesting to see
>how hain and smith do, i think it would have been better to give Root
>and bairstow some more batting time before the WC.
>
>mike

Ireland have been in rapid decline since happy clappy Heinrich Malan
became coach. Great if you like plenty of motivational sound bytes but
shite for results.

max.it

Re: Bye Bye Johnny

<IUWNufAaRzBlFw2A@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28219&group=uk.sport.cricket#28219

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 18:16:10 +0100
 by: John Hall - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 17:16 UTC

In message <e39517a8-969d-46a9-b41c-7a384458cd9dn@googlegroups.com>,
mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>On Sunday, September 17, 2023 at 8:39:130 >> In message <9947f728-ac18-47fe...@googlegroups.com>,
>> mike <dmik...@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>> >On Friday, September 15, 2023 at 10:07:560 >> In message
>> ><b4130bc0-4bfc-4ded...@googlegroups.com>,
>> >
>> >I think Brook has missed his chance to muscle in,
>> Yep.
>> > so I expect it will
>> >be the usual batters, although if Roy ever becomes fit, who will
>> >they leave out?
>> I imagine they'll draft him into the squad to play Ireland in the hope
>> that he can show that he's fit. Even assuming that he does, I think
>> he'll start as the "spare" batsman in India and will have to wait for
>> his chance.
>
>well it must be more serious than just back pain as Brook has been
>chosen for the WC and Roy left out. I've never really warmed to JR,
>but they will miss his experience, plus hes an excellent fielder -
>the runout that won the last WC - although so is Brook.

I understand that England are allowed to bring three travelling
reserves, who can be drafted in if a player is injured. Who they will be
is yet to be announced, but Roy could well be one of those.

>> > so the fact that neither root bairstow or roy have much
>> >form going into a WC is a worry. But they still have the matches vs Ireland
>> >to embarass themselves.
>> Though none of them are in the squad against Ireland, which is very much
>> an "England A" selection. I expect they'll draft in Roy, if fit, to give
>> him some game time, but it seems unlikely that they'll bring in Root or
>> Bairstow.
>
>oh dear, they not taking ireland seriously. expect a major embarrasment.
>
>Zak is captain having only ever played 3 odis before.

Which is remarkable, considering what an attacking batsman he is. (The
same applies to Duckett's relative lack of games.)

> Dont think durham
>be too happy losing both Potts and Carse, although they are almost promoted
>back to div1.

I thought I'd read that they clinched promotion last week.

> George Scrimshaw must have impressed someone ,
>presumably taylor or whittaker. Would have prefered to see joverton rather
>than coverton, but poss hes injured again.

I think his bowling workload is still having to be carefully managed, so
there may be doubts about his bility to bowl ten overs in two or three
games in fairly close succession.

> Although itll be interesting to see
>how hain and smith do, i think it would have been better to give Root
>and bairstow some more batting time before the WC.
>
>mike

Root in particular, especially as he didn't play in the T20s so should
be reasonably fresh.