From: FBInCIAn...@america.com (FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: What a SHAME there is NO video of this 1983 World Cup India vs
Zimbabwe match in England
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 02:02:49 -0700
 by: FBInCIAnNSATerrorist - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 09:02 UTC

What a SHAME there is NO video of this 1983 World Cup India vs Zimbabwe
match in England.

Three months on, in a pivotal game against Zimbabwe at the World Cup,
Kapil walked into the rubble of 9 for 4, soon to be 17 for 5, and
concocted 175 not out. An estimated 10,000 were present, and thanks to
some of them, and a handful of reporters, we have details of what on
earth transpired that day. No video exists from this game; the BBC chose
to cover Australia vs West Indies at Lord's instead.

https://www.thecricketmonthly.com/story/1371241/greatest-odis-no--13---kapil-dev-s-175-vs-zimbabwe-at-tunbridge-wells-in-1983

This Kapil innings will never be forgotten. The lack of footage has only
enhanced its aura - for the sight of Kapil blasting errant Zimbabwe
bowling to various parts of a small ground might ruin a perfect fantasy.
Every team-mate has a story about this innings - where they sat, what
they were doing, how K Srikkanth was barred from getting up to relieve
his bladder, how team-mates, fearing Kapil's wrath, emptied the dressing
room at the break, when India were 106 for 7. Spectators have recalled
sixes raining on the hospitality marquees, and one that cleared the
clubhouse to land in the garden of a nearby house. The chief cricket
correspondent of the Times of India, KN Prabhu, chose to stay in London
for the West Indies game. He conveyed his shock to his readers with an
opening that compared Kapil's innings to seeing the Light Brigade in
action during the Crimean War in Balaclava.

Kapil's innings ran on three gears: watchful against seam, a flurry in
the middle, and a rampage to finish. Roger Binny says Kapil didn't hit a
single boundary in their 60-run stand for the seventh wicket, instead
nudging singles and twos to the long boundary. Kapil's half-century came
off in 72 balls. After the lunch break, he raised the tempo, racing to
his hundred off an even 100 balls. Eyewitnesses remember the ball
thudding into the hoardings and some aerial hits scattering spectators
in the marquees. "Even the fuddy-duddies in the stands became as raucous
as teenagers on a night out," wrote veteran journalist Ayaz Memon in a
piece recalling the game.

His final 38 balls raised 75. This was after Kapil had swapped his
Slazenger V12 for the Slazenger WG: a shoulderless bat that some big
hitters brandished in the early 1980s. Lance Cairns used one to ransack
a 21-ball fifty against Australia at the MCG four months earlier in an
innings that, like Kapil's, was dotted with six towering sixes. When
Kapil passed 171, umpire Barry Meyer told him it was the highest score
made in a one-dayer. No other batter crossed 25 in India's total of 266
for 8. It would be 27 years before a ninth-wicket stand added more than
126, as Kapil did with Syed Kirmani; 16 years before an Indian made more
than 175.

India's bowlers and fielders resisted Zimbabwe's spirited chase. Madan
Lal hit the stumps from the square boundary, Kapil grabbed a one-hander
at gully to dismiss Duncan Fletcher, and despite Kevin Curran's 73,
India prevailed by 31 runs. Two days later they trounced Australia, then
outplayed the hosts England in the semi-final, and, after crumbling for
183 against the great West Indies at Lord's, against odds of 100-1 at
the innings break, they won the World Cup. Many considered it cricket's
greatest upset. Forty years on, we await a worthy challenger.

Re: What a SHAME there is NO video of this 1983 World Cup India vs Zimbabwe match in England

<5d988f63-cb2a-4de6-87ed-8b42a324b3f7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28189&group=uk.sport.cricket#28189

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 06:01:28 -0700 (PDT)
Zimbabwe match in England
From: nos...@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
 by: David North - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 13:01 UTC

On Friday, 15 September 2023 at 10:02:52 UTC+1, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer wrote:
> What a SHAME there is NO video of this 1983 World Cup India vs Zimbabwe
> match in England.
>

> Three months on, in a pivotal game against Zimbabwe at the World Cup,
> Kapil walked into the rubble of 9 for 4, soon to be 17 for 5, and
> concocted 175 not out. An estimated 10,000 were present, and thanks to
> some of them, and a handful of reporters, we have details of what on
> earth transpired that day. No video exists from this game; the BBC chose
> to cover Australia vs West Indies at Lord's instead.

Different times. In 5 of the 6 rounds of group matches, 4 games were played simultaneously, as were the 2 semi-finals, so a lot of matches were not televised. On that day, it appears that Grandstand on BBC1 covered England v Pakistan as well as Australia v West Indies, and some rugby union, racing and tennis, with the cricket switching to BBC2 at 4:40.

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/service_bbc_one_london/1983-06-18
https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/service_bbc_two_england/1983-06-18