From: harroga...@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: POT: PVR problem - help?
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 18:51:27 +0100
 by: Woody - Wed, 27 Oct 2021 17:51 UTC

I have a Humax Fox-T2 PVR which I haven't used for a while although it
has had power on it throughout (the attached Samsung smart TV gets no
signal if there is no power on it.)

I've been having a bit of trouble with Com7 off Emley on the associated
TV - keeps reporting no signal and then a high signal whether the Hummy
is in circuit or not - and Samsung in their wisdom no longer provide a
facility to view signal strength or quality. A non-smart Samsung HD in
another room gets a solid signal all the time.

This afternoon I put the Hummy on to use its signal indicator which
always works as it does now, but it cannot find any channels, either
those that were programmed or if I do a new manual search either from
Emley or from mini-Bilsdale which I can also receive.

Anyone come across this problem or got any ideas? I have tried a power
down but that does nothing to help. I may try the other Samsung TV
(which being non-smart does have signal indications) tomorrow when it is
not in use by my son.

Re: POT: PVR problem - help?

<itu1a2F56v3U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28274&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#28274

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: POT: PVR problem - help?
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 23:14:27 +0100
 by: JNugent - Wed, 27 Oct 2021 22:14 UTC

On 27/10/2021 06:51 pm, Woody wrote:

> I have a Humax Fox-T2 PVR which I haven't used for a while although it
> has had power on it throughout (the attached Samsung smart TV gets no
> signal if there is no power on it.)
>
> I've been having a bit of trouble with Com7 off Emley on the associated
> TV - keeps reporting no signal and then a high signal whether the Hummy
> is in circuit or not - and Samsung in their wisdom no longer provide a
> facility to view signal strength or quality. A non-smart Samsung HD in
> another room gets a solid signal all the time.
>
> This afternoon I put the Hummy on to use its signal indicator which
> always works as it does now, but it cannot find any channels, either
> those that were programmed or if I do a new manual search either from
> Emley or from mini-Bilsdale which I can also receive.
>
> Anyone come across this problem or got any ideas? I have tried a power
> down but that does nothing to help. I may try the other Samsung TV
> (which being non-smart does have signal indications) tomorrow when it is
> not in use by my son.

Is everything running off one aerial? Could you possibly need an aerial
amplifier between the aerial and the PVR?

Or have you tried temporarily shifting the PVR to the room where the
aerial connection is delivering a good signal?

Re: POT: PVR problem - help?

<5982678458bob@sick-of-spam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28286&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#28286

From: bob...@sick-of-spam.invalid (Bob Latham)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 09:38:35 +0100
 by: Bob Latham - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 08:38 UTC

In article <slc3iv$b5f$1@dont-email.me>,
Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> I have a Humax Fox-T2 PVR which I haven't used for a while although
> it has had power on it throughout (the attached Samsung smart TV
> gets no signal if there is no power on it.)

I've had two of these Humax Fox-T2 devices but only one still works.

As you know there are two standby modes, one that uses less power and
does not pass the aerial signal and the high power setting which
should pass the signal in standby. Both of my Humax PVRs were in high
power mode and both failed to work correctly. After around 15 minutes
of standby the aerial signal would start to fade out from the highest
UHF channels first.

I learnt never to trust the UHF output on that design of PVR.
Instead, I split the signal before the PVR.

As regards can't find channels on the PVR, there are 3 possibilities.
Bad lead, inadequate aerial signal or knackered PVR. Without an
analyser/meter item substitution is your only path.

Bob.

Re: POT: PVR problem - help?

<r66q4i-ua78.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28288&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#28288

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 10:13:31 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 09:13 UTC

Bob Latham <bob@sick-of-spam.invalid> wrote:

> I learnt never to trust the UHF output on that design of PVR.
> Instead, I split the signal before the PVR.

Yes, I've found that to be the most reliable thing to do.

--
Chris Green
ยท

Re: POT: PVR problem - help?

<sldvo7$jie$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28291&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#28291

From: harroga...@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 11:58:14 +0100
 by: Woody - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 10:58 UTC

On Thu 28/10/2021 09:38, Bob Latham wrote:
> In article <slc3iv$b5f$1@dont-email.me>,
> Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>> I have a Humax Fox-T2 PVR which I haven't used for a while although
>> it has had power on it throughout (the attached Samsung smart TV
>> gets no signal if there is no power on it.)
>
> I've had two of these Humax Fox-T2 devices but only one still works.
>
> As you know there are two standby modes, one that uses less power and
> does not pass the aerial signal and the high power setting which
> should pass the signal in standby. Both of my Humax PVRs were in high
> power mode and both failed to work correctly. After around 15 minutes
> of standby the aerial signal would start to fade out from the highest
> UHF channels first.
>
> I learnt never to trust the UHF output on that design of PVR.
> Instead, I split the signal before the PVR.
>
> As regards can't find channels on the PVR, there are 3 possibilities.
> Bad lead, inadequate aerial signal or knackered PVR. Without an
> analyser/meter item substitution is your only path.

I wouldn't argue with any of that. I should note however that the PVR
pass-through works all of the time. The loss of Com7 (ch55) still occurs
whether the TV is connected directly to the feed or not with the PVR and
passive band splitter are out of circuit.

Per your last paragraph, the leads are all home made (as a retired TV
and radio broadcast engineer I <should> get that one right) so I know
they are good. We are 28 miles from Emley but almost line of sight and
get a good signal even without distribution (which gives +9dB per port)
so that only leaves the PVR in fail mode.

As I'm alone at the moment methinks I'll try the PVR on another aerial
port. Additionally I have three Fox-T2's one is You View and the other
two (one of which is the problem) are vanilla.

If I don't bottom it rest assured I'll be back!