I might have gone to West Point, but I was too proud to speak to a congressman. -- Will Rogers

aus+uk / uk.sport.cricket / Bristol ODI

SubjectAuthor
* Bristol ODImike
`* Re: Bristol ODIHVS
 `* Re: Bristol ODImax.it
  `* Re: Bristol ODIJohn Hall
   +* Re: Bristol ODIAndy Walker
   |`- Re: Bristol ODIJohn Hall
   `* Re: Bristol ODImike
    +- Re: Bristol ODIJohn Hall
    `- Re: Bristol ODIMister Johnson

1
Bristol ODI

<a08e6297-7d7d-4c05-8695-69eb1d974ba7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28315&group=uk.sport.cricket#28315

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 08:55:20 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Bristol ODI
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 15:55 UTC

Surely premature to abandon b4 2.30pm?

We got the same downpour a bit later and the sun was
out soon after and the roads dry again. surely they have
1 of the big suckeruppers at the ground that grab all the
standing water down the drains? i would have thought there
was time to change it to a 31 over match etc, have ireland
straight in on the restart.

mike

Re: Bristol ODI

<XnsB08BB7370574Bwhhvans@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28316&group=uk.sport.cricket#28316

From: off...@REMOVETHISwhhvs.co.uk (HVS)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: Re: Bristol ODI
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 18:00:38 +0100
 by: HVS - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 17:00 UTC

On 26 Sep 2023, mike wrote

> Surely premature to abandon b4 2.30pm?
>
> We got the same downpour a bit later and the sun was
> out soon after and the roads dry again. surely they have
> 1 of the big suckeruppers at the ground that grab all the
> standing water down the drains? i would have thought there
> was time to change it to a 31 over match etc, have ireland
> straight in on the restart.

That was my reaction, too, but although I may be readng too much into
it, I took the CricBuzz commentary as suggesting that the Bristol
ground might not have the sort of up-to-date drainage systems we've
got used to these days:

(quote)

15:27 Local, 14:27 GMT, 19:57 IST: Uh-oh! Didn't see this coming.
Match abandoned. The umpires had a quick glance and were not pleased
with the number of puddles formed on the outfield (more prominently
around the bowlers' run-up area). To make matters worse, there's
plenty of water under the covers and It's still drizzling as well.
Don't think the groundstaff will have enough time and favourable
conditions for the next few hours to get the ground game-ready.

(/quote)

--
Cheers, Harvey

Re: Bristol ODI

<9ua6hipklodlj5pj5svs7f2bkvlfqg4iba@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28317&group=uk.sport.cricket#28317

From: max...@tea.time (max.it)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 20:08:02 +0100
 by: max.it - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 19:08 UTC

On Tue, 26 Sep 2023 18:00:38 +0100, HVS <office@REMOVETHISwhhvs.co.uk>
wrote:

>On 26 Sep 2023, mike wrote
>
>> Surely premature to abandon b4 2.30pm?
>>
>> We got the same downpour a bit later and the sun was
>> out soon after and the roads dry again. surely they have
>> 1 of the big suckeruppers at the ground that grab all the
>> standing water down the drains? i would have thought there
>> was time to change it to a 31 over match etc, have ireland
>> straight in on the restart.

Would that have made for a huge DLS target?

max.it

>That was my reaction, too, but although I may be readng too much into
>it, I took the CricBuzz commentary as suggesting that the Bristol
>ground might not have the sort of up-to-date drainage systems we've
>got used to these days:
>
>(quote)
>
>15:27 Local, 14:27 GMT, 19:57 IST: Uh-oh! Didn't see this coming.
>Match abandoned. The umpires had a quick glance and were not pleased
>with the number of puddles formed on the outfield (more prominently
>around the bowlers' run-up area). To make matters worse, there's
>plenty of water under the covers and It's still drizzling as well.
>Don't think the groundstaff will have enough time and favourable
>conditions for the next few hours to get the ground game-ready.
>
>(/quote)

Re: Bristol ODI

<1QaSRhAh2+ElFwpb@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28318&group=uk.sport.cricket#28318

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 09:53:53 +0100
 by: John Hall - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 08:53 UTC

In message <9ua6hipklodlj5pj5svs7f2bkvlfqg4iba@4ax.com>, max. it
<max@tea.time> writes
>On Tue, 26 Sep 2023 18:00:38 +0100, HVS <office@REMOVETHISwhhvs.co.uk>
>wrote:
>
>>On 26 Sep 2023, mike wrote
>>
>>> Surely premature to abandon b4 2.30pm?

Sounds like you are on GMT! The shower didn't start till about 2:40 BST
and the abandonment was at about 3:20 BST.

>>> We got the same downpour a bit later and the sun was
>>> out soon after and the roads dry again. surely they have
>>> 1 of the big suckeruppers at the ground that grab all the
>>> standing water down the drains? i would have thought there
>>> was time to change it to a 31 over match etc, have ireland
>>> straight in on the restart.

Apparently there had been a lot of rain the previous night as well,
which didn't help. Apparently the covers were still very wet from that,
which made them heavy and hard to manoeuvre on to the square, made worse
by the wind being very gusty. Even so, it did seem a rather precipitate
decision to abandon the match so quickly.

>Would that have made for a huge DLS target?

I imagine so. England scored at 9 an over, thinking they had 50 overs to
bat, so you'd think that the DLS target would be in the region of 11 an
over. I imagine the DLS database is rather lacking in close analogues to
this extreme situation, though!

>>That was my reaction, too, but although I may be readng too much into
>>it, I took the CricBuzz commentary as suggesting that the Bristol
>>ground might not have the sort of up-to-date drainage systems we've
>>got used to these days:
>>
>>(quote)
>>
>>15:27 Local, 14:27 GMT, 19:57 IST: Uh-oh! Didn't see this coming.
>>Match abandoned. The umpires had a quick glance and were not pleased
>>with the number of puddles formed on the outfield (more prominently
>>around the bowlers' run-up area). To make matters worse, there's
>>plenty of water under the covers and It's still drizzling as well.
>>Don't think the groundstaff will have enough time and favourable
>>conditions for the next few hours to get the ground game-ready.
>>
>>(/quote)

Apparently the last four ODIs at Bristol have all either been abandoned
without a ball balled or prematurely terminated by rain, which rather
suggests that the drainage and coverage systems aren't state-of-the-art.

Re: Bristol ODI

<uf137m$324bv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28319&group=uk.sport.cricket#28319

From: anw...@cuboid.co.uk (Andy Walker)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 12:21:26 +0100
 by: Andy Walker - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 11:21 UTC

On 27/09/2023 09:53, John Hall wrote:
> Apparently there had been a lot of rain the previous night as well,
> which didn't help. Apparently the covers were still very wet from
> that, which made them heavy and hard to manoeuvre on to the square,
> made worse by the wind being very gusty.

The BBC weather forecast showed the ground staff trying to get the
covers arranged, and they were just ballooning up like tents and blowing
all over the place. [The covers, not the staff!]

> Even so, it did seem a
> rather precipitate decision to abandon the match so quickly.
^^^^^^^^^^^
Ha! Mike would have enjoyed twisting that into a clue.

I imagine the decision was not taken lightly, and would have
taken account of reports from the ground staff and other officials.
Spectators too might prefer being told ASAP that the match is off to
sitting around for hours just in case. Not that anyone normally takes
spectators [and concession holders] into account.

[Notts were offering free guest tickets to members for today,
so we were contemplating a family expedition, but in the light of the
weather forecast we decided against. They're currently playing, but
it's not looking great, with thundery showers around, so not ideal
for sitting around in the open. I expect Bristol yesterday was much
the same. July seems a long time ago!]

--
Andy Walker, Nottingham.
Andy's music pages: www.cuboid.me.uk/andy/Music

Re: Bristol ODI

<068bffbb-648d-4308-89d1-b7ba146d4363n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28320&group=uk.sport.cricket#28320

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 08:32:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 15:32 UTC

On Wednesday, September 27, 2023 at 10:00:38 AM UTC+1, John Hall wrote:
> In message <9ua6hipklodlj5pj5...@4ax.com>, max. it
> <m...@tea.time> writes
> >On Tue, 26 Sep 2023 18:00:38 +0100, HVS <off...@REMOVETHISwhhvs.co.uk>
> >wrote:
> >
> >>On 26 Sep 2023, mike wrote

> Sounds like you are on GMT! The shower didn't start till about 2:40 BST
> and the abandonment was at about 3:20 BST.

thats odd. i went to the bbc website to check the score
and was surprised to see it abandoned when i'd heard they were
playing an hour earlier. the bbc said it was abandoned at 14.22pm.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/cricket/66728787

perhaps the BBC website is on GMT not BST, although it seems a
bit strange if so!

> Apparently the last four ODIs at Bristol have all either been abandoned
> without a ball balled or prematurely terminated by rain, which rather
> suggests that the drainage and coverage systems aren't state-of-the-art.

i suspect gloucs and bristol are probably 1 of those CCs perenially short
of money, but you'd think the ECB would make sure that the ground
especially drainage in that part of the world was upto 'international
standard' ie the best possible, before allocating a ODI.

mike

Re: Bristol ODI

<VDnyTvAG3EFlFwl6@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28321&group=uk.sport.cricket#28321

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 16:44:06 +0100
 by: John Hall - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 15:44 UTC

In message <uf137m$324bv$1@dont-email.me>, Andy Walker
<anw@cuboid.co.uk> writes
>On 27/09/2023 09:53, John Hall wrote:
>> Apparently there had been a lot of rain the previous night as well,
>> which didn't help. Apparently the covers were still very wet from
>> that, which made them heavy and hard to manoeuvre on to the square,
>> made worse by the wind being very gusty.
>
> The BBC weather forecast showed the ground staff trying to get the
>covers arranged, and they were just ballooning up like tents and blowing
>all over the place. [The covers, not the staff!]
>
>> Even so, it did seem a
>> rather precipitate decision to abandon the match so quickly.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^
> Ha! Mike would have enjoyed twisting that into a clue.
<snip>

Yes, he would. As I was typing it I suddenly realised the
appropriateness of the adjective.
--
John Hall "[It was] so steep that at intervals the street broke into steps,
like a person breaking into giggles or hiccups, and then resumed

Re: Bristol ODI

<DzJ3$MB95EFlFwl4@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28322&group=uk.sport.cricket#28322

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 16:47:09 +0100
 by: John Hall - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 15:47 UTC

In message <068bffbb-648d-4308-89d1-b7ba146d4363n@googlegroups.com>,
mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>On Wednesday, September 27, 2023 at 10:00:380 >> In message <9ua6hipklodlj5pj5...@4ax.com>, max. it
>> <m...@tea.time> writes

>> Sounds like you are on GMT! The shower didn't start till about 2:40 BST
>> and the abandonment was at about 3:20 BST.
>
>thats odd. i went to the bbc website to check the score
>and was surprised to see it abandoned when i'd heard they were
>playing an hour earlier. the bbc said it was abandoned at 14.22pm.
>
>https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/cricket/66728787
>
>perhaps the BBC website is on GMT not BST, although it seems a
>bit strange if so!
<snip>

Going to that page, it now says 15:22:

"15:22 26 Sep
Match Abandoned
And that is that."

So they've either changed it or you somehow misread it.
--
John Hall "[It was] so steep that at intervals the street broke into steps,
like a person breaking into giggles or hiccups, and then resumed
its sober climb, until it had another fit of steps."
Ursula K Le Guin "The Beginning Place"

Re: Bristol ODI

<SgYQM.456626$4l28.330973@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28324&group=uk.sport.cricket#28324

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
From: roo...@example.net (Mister Johnson)
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 15:56:34 GMT
 by: Mister Johnson - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 15:56 UTC

On 2023-09-27, mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 27, 2023 at 10:00:38 AM UTC+1, John Hall wrote:
>> In message <9ua6hipklodlj5pj5...@4ax.com>, max. it
>> <m...@tea.time> writes

>> Sounds like you are on GMT! The shower didn't start till about 2:40 BST
>> and the abandonment was at about 3:20 BST.
>
> thats odd. i went to the bbc website to check the score
> and was surprised to see it abandoned when i'd heard they were
> playing an hour earlier. the bbc said it was abandoned at 14.22pm.

The BBC haven't got the hang of the 24-hour clock yet