From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: First phone the boss
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 00:44:26 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:Umzw6LjYRBhTEcUTvNRURXLrN9A=
 by: Recliner - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 00:44 UTC

First lines up its next chief after seven-month search

<https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/15e58862-c0b6-11ec-8413-422ef6319ad0?shareToken=74ec1128371533e4f61cb7318a9beee6>

Re: First phone the boss

<Vj7QuomcGOYiFAjh@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28462&group=uk.railway#28462

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: First phone the boss
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 05:46:20 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 04:46 UTC

In message <t3q9da$qbh$1@dont-email.me>, at 00:44:26 on Thu, 21 Apr
2022, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>First lines up its next chief after seven-month search
>
><https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/15e58862-c0b6-11ec-8413-422ef6319ad0
>?shareToken=74ec1128371533e4f61cb7318a9beee6>

Oh dear, they admit there's loads of profit to be made for private
shareholders (even foreign ones) running London's buses. Don't tell the
RMT.
--
Roland Perry

Re: First phone the boss

<vpi26hhemikrhl3rcqmlqa4rm0u5ep3jr1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28491&group=uk.railway#28491

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 13:17:25 +0100
 by: Recliner - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 12:17 UTC

On Thu, 21 Apr 2022 05:46:20 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:

>In message <t3q9da$qbh$1@dont-email.me>, at 00:44:26 on Thu, 21 Apr
>2022, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>>First lines up its next chief after seven-month search
>>
>><https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/15e58862-c0b6-11ec-8413-422ef6319ad0
>>?shareToken=74ec1128371533e4f61cb7318a9beee6>
>
>Oh dear, they admit there's loads of profit to be made for private
>shareholders (even foreign ones) running London's buses. Don't tell the
>RMT.

Do the RMT represent bus drivers? I don't think so.

Re: First phone the boss

<de1CBf+mDVYiFAxr@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28495&group=uk.railway#28495

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 13:41:10 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 12:41 UTC

In message <vpi26hhemikrhl3rcqmlqa4rm0u5ep3jr1@4ax.com>, at 13:17:25 on
Thu, 21 Apr 2022, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>On Thu, 21 Apr 2022 05:46:20 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>In message <t3q9da$qbh$1@dont-email.me>, at 00:44:26 on Thu, 21 Apr
>>2022, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>>>First lines up its next chief after seven-month search
>>>
>>><https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/15e58862-c0b6-11ec-8413-422ef6319ad0
>>>?shareToken=74ec1128371533e4f61cb7318a9beee6>
>>
>>Oh dear, they admit there's loads of profit to be made for private
>>shareholders (even foreign ones) running London's buses. Don't tell the
>>RMT.
>
>Do the RMT represent bus drivers? I don't think so.

Nobody claimed they did.
--
Roland Perry

Re: First phone the boss

<t3rka4$sfa$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28497&group=uk.railway#28497

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 12:56:36 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:TxKcdslrPR7kTsNMtRjOw52TFqk=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 12:56 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Apr 2022 05:46:20 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> In message <t3q9da$qbh$1@dont-email.me>, at 00:44:26 on Thu, 21 Apr
>> 2022, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>>> First lines up its next chief after seven-month search
>>>
>>> <https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/15e58862-c0b6-11ec-8413-422ef6319ad0
>>> ?shareToken=74ec1128371533e4f61cb7318a9beee6>
>>
>> Oh dear, they admit there's loads of profit to be made for private
>> shareholders (even foreign ones) running London's buses. Don't tell the
>> RMT.
>
> Do the RMT represent bus drivers? I don't think so.

Yes, they do <https://www.rmt.org.uk/site-search/?keywords=Bus>

Presumably that's part of the 'Transport' which isn't 'Rail' or 'Maritime'?

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: First phone the boss

<QQihyOE6qVYiFAQb@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28502&group=uk.railway#28502

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 14:23:06 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 13:23 UTC

In message <t3rka4$sfa$1@dont-email.me>, at 12:56:36 on Thu, 21 Apr
2022, Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> remarked:
>Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 21 Apr 2022 05:46:20 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> In message <t3q9da$qbh$1@dont-email.me>, at 00:44:26 on Thu, 21 Apr
>>> 2022, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> Oh dear, they admit there's loads of profit to be made for private
>>> shareholders (even foreign ones) running London's buses. Don't tell the
>>> RMT.
>>
>> Do the RMT represent bus drivers? I don't think so.
>
>Yes, they do <https://www.rmt.org.uk/site-search/?keywords=Bus>

Oh, well played that man!

>Presumably that's part of the 'Transport' which isn't 'Rail' or 'Maritime'?

Maritime: "relating to navigation or commerce on the sea", I wonder what
union the people working things like the TfL River services, and the
Woolwich Ferry, belong to?

Also, some taxi drivers belong to the RMT:

<https://www.rmt.org.uk/news/rmt-taxi-drivers-to-protest-at-luton-town-
hall/>

There's even four hits on "hovercraft" (full of eels, or otherwise) on
the RMT website.

They also have quite a bit about offshore helicopters (to oil platforms
etc) but maybe those are 'maritime'? Ditto those RMT members who are
divers.
--
Roland Perry

Re: First phone the boss

<jcda3sF9areU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28509&group=uk.railway#28509

From: gemeha...@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 21 Apr 2022 15:04:28 GMT
 by: Marland - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 15:04 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Apr 2022 05:46:20 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> In message <t3q9da$qbh$1@dont-email.me>, at 00:44:26 on Thu, 21 Apr
>> 2022, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>>> First lines up its next chief after seven-month search
>>>
>>> <https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/15e58862-c0b6-11ec-8413-422ef6319ad0
>>> ?shareToken=74ec1128371533e4f61cb7318a9beee6>
>>
>> Oh dear, they admit there's loads of profit to be made for private
>> shareholders (even foreign ones) running London's buses. Don't tell the
>> RMT.
>
> Do the RMT represent bus drivers? I don't think so.

I don’t know about arrangements in London but one of the constituents of
the RMT the NUR certainly did, especially amongst those operators who had
once been part owned by Railways such as Southern and Western National.
One of the obstacles to the West Somerset Railway running through to
Taunton when the Minehead
branch reopening was being proposed was the concerns of Western National
management and also Bus drivers who were NUR members that there was not
enough business to support a bus service and a private railway who would be
getting a subsidy to run a commuter rail service.
Western National dropped their objection but the NUR enlisted local support
from railway NUR members who in support of their bus driving brethren
said they would not cooperate with running any private service over BR
metals. Hence the WSR has had to terminate normal services at Bishops
Lydeard since it reopened.

My first trip on the reopened line was on a DMU acquired for a “normal”
train service and was in a WSR livery which was sort of half way between
GWR chocolate and cream and early BR blood and custard.
The WSR soon found it could not succeed where BR had failed in providing an
everyday rail service
and soon became just a heritage railway operation.
Would they have succeeded if through running had been allowed?
Personally I don’t think so .

GH

Re: First phone the boss

<t3rs9u$rj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28510&group=uk.railway#28510

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 15:13:02 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:IEA9mRM5qTbAOG3WtsOl8m8tiZ0=
 by: Recliner - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 15:13 UTC

Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 21 Apr 2022 05:46:20 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> In message <t3q9da$qbh$1@dont-email.me>, at 00:44:26 on Thu, 21 Apr
>>> 2022, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> Oh dear, they admit there's loads of profit to be made for private
>>> shareholders (even foreign ones) running London's buses. Don't tell the
>>> RMT.
>>
>> Do the RMT represent bus drivers? I don't think so.
>>

> I don’t know about arrangements in London but one of the constituents of
> the RMT the NUR certainly did, especially amongst those operators who had
> once been part owned by Railways such as Southern and Western National.

Yes, that makes sense. I think Unite represents most/all London bus
drivers.

> One of the obstacles to the West Somerset Railway running through to
> Taunton when the Minehead
> branch reopening was being proposed was the concerns of Western National
> management and also Bus drivers who were NUR members that there was not
> enough business to support a bus service and a private railway who would be
> getting a subsidy to run a commuter rail service.
> Western National dropped their objection but the NUR enlisted local support
> from railway NUR members who in support of their bus driving brethren
> said they would not cooperate with running any private service over BR
> metals. Hence the WSR has had to terminate normal services at Bishops
> Lydeard since it reopened.
>
> My first trip on the reopened line was on a DMU acquired for a “normal”
> train service and was in a WSR livery which was sort of half way between
> GWR chocolate and cream and early BR blood and custard.
> The WSR soon found it could not succeed where BR had failed in providing an
> everyday rail service
> and soon became just a heritage railway operation.
> Would they have succeeded if through running had been allowed?
> Personally I don’t think so .

Yes, I think you're right.