When it comes to helping you, some people stop at nothing.

aus+uk / uk.comp.homebuilt / Re: P

SubjectAuthor
* PMike Halmarack
+* Surface Pro 2 not reading external drive properlyMike Halmarack
|`* Re: Surface Pro 2 not reading external drive properlyT i m
| `* Re: Surface Pro 2 not reading external drive properlyMike Halmarack
|  `* Re: Surface Pro 2 not reading external drive properlyT i m
|   `- Re: Surface Pro 2 not reading external drive properlyMike Halmarack
`* Re: PRobin
 `* Re: PMike Halmarack
  +* Re: PJeff Gaines
  |+- Re: PMike Halmarack
  |`* Re: PMike Halmarack
  | +* Re: PJeff Gaines
  | |`- Re: PMike Halmarack
  | `* Re: PJaimie Vandenbergh
  |  `- Re: PMike Halmarack
  `* Re: PRobin
   `* Re: PMike Halmarack
    `* Re: PRobin
     +- Re: PMike Halmarack
     `- Re: PMike Halmarack

<e8hgphhf102dmq87vttqqsu3498hblfa78@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2826&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2826

From: mikehalm...@gmail.com (Mike Halmarack)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: P
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 09:39:28 +0000
 by: Mike Halmarack - Tue, 13 Dec 2022 09:39 UTC

I bought a WD 8TB external drive for archiving.
3 GPT partitions to take data from 3 PCs.
Several folders and numerous subfolders on each partition.

While my Dell laptop reads the drive, its partitions and folders
accurately, my Surface pro 2 only sees one folder and a couple of
files on each partition.
Both PCs have up to date Windows 10 Pro running.

Ive being trying to run all external drives from the Surface Pro on
the basis that it consumes less energy than the dell laptop. The other
PC, a desktop, is rarely live.
Any ideas about where the problem lies would be most appreciated.
--

Mike

Surface Pro 2 not reading external drive properly

<f8igph9fbsfukkueiieb2l4khekvkrsl1g@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2827&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2827

From: mikehalm...@gmail.com (Mike Halmarack)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Surface Pro 2 not reading external drive properly
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 09:43:48 +0000
 by: Mike Halmarack - Tue, 13 Dec 2022 09:43 UTC

On Tue, 13 Dec 2022 09:39:28 +0000, Mike Halmarack
<mikehalmarack@gmail.com> wrote:

>I bought a WD 8TB external drive for archiving.
>3 GPT partitions to take data from 3 PCs.
>Several folders and numerous subfolders on each partition.
>
>While my Dell laptop reads the drive, its partitions and folders
>accurately, my Surface pro 2 only sees one folder and a couple of
>files on each partition.
>Both PCs have up to date Windows 10 Pro running.
>
>Ive being trying to run all external drives from the Surface Pro on
>the basis that it consumes less energy than the dell laptop. The other
>PC, a desktop, is rarely live.
>Any ideas about where the problem lies would be most appreciated.

Re: Surface Pro 2 not reading external drive properly

<jvr10jFe02aU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2828&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2828

From: individ...@spaced.me.uk (T i m)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 10:04:03 +0000
 by: T i m - Tue, 13 Dec 2022 10:04 UTC

On 13/12/2022 09:43, Mike Halmarack wrote:
<snip>
>> Ive being trying to run all external drives from the Surface Pro on
>> the basis that it consumes less energy than the dell laptop. The other
>> PC, a desktop, is rarely live.
>> Any ideas about where the problem lies would be most appreciated.

I can't offer help re the problem but just a thought re the energy.

The law of conservation of energy states that 'energy can neither be
created nor destroyed' so if you are currently heating the room this kit
is in, any energy not used in making the kit function is likely to be
released as heat (tech kit gets warm etc) and so simply means you won't
need to add so much energy to heat to that space (likely by an
immeasurably small amount). ;-)

If it's unheated or the summer then it's more of an issue of course,
unless you have solar panels. ;-)

FWIW, I've been considering the running cost of stuff for years now (and
much of it logged via my Home Automation system) and why my Windows Home
Server was based on a quad care Atom desktop board with passive cooling
and 3 x 500GB laptop drives. It idled at about 20W which was quite good
for those days (and about the same as my Mac Mini desktop PC).

I've just picked up a s/h Shuttle Slimline PC and even with a 3GHz+ i5
CPU it idles just under 10W. A lower spec Shuttle running as a DTV
server is around 12W.

I think my lowest power consumption NAS is a Raspberry Pi2B running OMV
with a 3TB external Laptop drive and that's about 5W. (15W less than my
single drive Synology NAS and about 40W less than my Terrastation). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Re: Surface Pro 2 not reading external drive properly

<ipjgphtsloi5sv8uqcsh5rhdjjd6fn5c7m@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2829&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2829

From: mikehalm...@gmail.com (Mike Halmarack)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 10:13:39 +0000
 by: Mike Halmarack - Tue, 13 Dec 2022 10:13 UTC

On Tue, 13 Dec 2022 10:04:03 +0000, T i m <individual@spaced.me.uk>
wrote:

>On 13/12/2022 09:43, Mike Halmarack wrote:
><snip>
>>> Ive being trying to run all external drives from the Surface Pro on
>>> the basis that it consumes less energy than the dell laptop. The other
>>> PC, a desktop, is rarely live.
>>> Any ideas about where the problem lies would be most appreciated.
>
>I can't offer help re the problem but just a thought re the energy.
>
>The law of conservation of energy states that 'energy can neither be
>created nor destroyed' so if you are currently heating the room this kit
>is in, any energy not used in making the kit function is likely to be
>released as heat (tech kit gets warm etc) and so simply means you won't
>need to add so much energy to heat to that space (likely by an
>immeasurably small amount). ;-)
>
>If it's unheated or the summer then it's more of an issue of course,
>unless you have solar panels. ;-)
>
>FWIW, I've been considering the running cost of stuff for years now (and
>much of it logged via my Home Automation system) and why my Windows Home
>Server was based on a quad care Atom desktop board with passive cooling
>and 3 x 500GB laptop drives. It idled at about 20W which was quite good
>for those days (and about the same as my Mac Mini desktop PC).
>
>I've just picked up a s/h Shuttle Slimline PC and even with a 3GHz+ i5
>CPU it idles just under 10W. A lower spec Shuttle running as a DTV
>server is around 12W.
>
>I think my lowest power consumption NAS is a Raspberry Pi2B running OMV
>with a 3TB external Laptop drive and that's about 5W. (15W less than my
>single drive Synology NAS and about 40W less than my Terrastation). ;-)
>
>Cheers, T i m

Thanks for that info it comes over as very thorough and detailed.
My current problem is that I want to keep as much as possible of my
computing in one heated room. The one with the Surface Pro 2 and the
big TV, which covers yet more domestic (in)activities.
--

Mike

Re: P

<40254a73-359a-1f97-b6fa-253ca577e7bc@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2830&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2830

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: P
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 10:33:06 +0000
 by: Robin - Tue, 13 Dec 2022 10:33 UTC

On 13/12/2022 09:39, Mike Halmarack wrote:
> I bought a WD 8TB external drive for archiving.
> 3 GPT partitions to take data from 3 PCs.
> Several folders and numerous subfolders on each partition.
>
> While my Dell laptop reads the drive, its partitions and folders
> accurately, my Surface pro 2 only sees one folder and a couple of
> files on each partition.
> Both PCs have up to date Windows 10 Pro running.

Does the Surface Pro show the correct properties (Used Space and Free
Space) of the partitions?

--
Robin

Re: P

<pslgph1nk5051ftq4b9c1mq8839ceh140b@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2831&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2831

From: mikehalm...@gmail.com (Mike Halmarack)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 10:51:37 +0000
 by: Mike Halmarack - Tue, 13 Dec 2022 10:51 UTC

On Tue, 13 Dec 2022 10:33:06 +0000, Robin <rbw@outlook.com> wrote:

>On 13/12/2022 09:39, Mike Halmarack wrote:
>> I bought a WD 8TB external drive for archiving.
>> 3 GPT partitions to take data from 3 PCs.
>> Several folders and numerous subfolders on each partition.
>>
>> While my Dell laptop reads the drive, its partitions and folders
>> accurately, my Surface pro 2 only sees one folder and a couple of
>> files on each partition.
>> Both PCs have up to date Windows 10 Pro running.
>>

>Does the Surface Pro show the correct properties (Used Space and Free
>Space) of the partitions?

I remove the only visible folder in one of the partitons, leaving it
"empty". Then I go to the MiniTools Parition Wizard and it shows that
the partiton is pretty full of data. So it seems that the files and
folders are still there but just not showing up by the normal access
and viewing methods.
--

Mike

Re: P

<xn0nqk1bq2ob8f5001@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2832&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2832

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 13 Dec 2022 11:13:45 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Tue, 13 Dec 2022 11:13 UTC

On 13/12/2022 in message <pslgph1nk5051ftq4b9c1mq8839ceh140b@4ax.com> Mike
Halmarack wrote:

>>Does the Surface Pro show the correct properties (Used Space and Free
>>Space) of the partitions?
>
>I remove the only visible folder in one of the partitons, leaving it
>"empty". Then I go to the MiniTools Parition Wizard and it shows that
>the partiton is pretty full of data. So it seems that the files and
>folders are still there but just not showing up by the normal access
>and viewing methods.

Clutching a bit at straws but every time I reinstall the OS I have to take
ownership of shared files again or Windows whines about needing
administrative approval, might it be linked to that?

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists

Re: P

<grngphp47tt5inn1m43hfobmbm2ohlna1g@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2833&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2833

From: mikehalm...@gmail.com (Mike Halmarack)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 11:19:42 +0000
 by: Mike Halmarack - Tue, 13 Dec 2022 11:19 UTC

On 13 Dec 2022 11:13:45 GMT, "Jeff Gaines" <jgnewsid@outlook.com>
wrote:

>On 13/12/2022 in message <pslgph1nk5051ftq4b9c1mq8839ceh140b@4ax.com> Mike
>Halmarack wrote:
>
>>>Does the Surface Pro show the correct properties (Used Space and Free
>>>Space) of the partitions?
>>
>>I remove the only visible folder in one of the partitons, leaving it
>>"empty". Then I go to the MiniTools Parition Wizard and it shows that
>>the partiton is pretty full of data. So it seems that the files and
>>folders are still there but just not showing up by the normal access
>>and viewing methods.
>
>Clutching a bit at straws but every time I reinstall the OS I have to take
>ownership of shared files again or Windows whines about needing
>administrative approval, might it be linked to that?

I'll run through that process and see If it does the trick. Thanks
--

Mike

Re: P

<6e5bcea6-8cb8-ab64-fea2-e12ff35c317c@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2835&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2835

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 11:30:49 +0000
 by: Robin - Tue, 13 Dec 2022 11:30 UTC

On 13/12/2022 10:51, Mike Halmarack wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Dec 2022 10:33:06 +0000, Robin <rbw@outlook.com> wrote:
>
>> On 13/12/2022 09:39, Mike Halmarack wrote:
>>> I bought a WD 8TB external drive for archiving.
>>> 3 GPT partitions to take data from 3 PCs.
>>> Several folders and numerous subfolders on each partition.
>>>
>>> While my Dell laptop reads the drive, its partitions and folders
>>> accurately, my Surface pro 2 only sees one folder and a couple of
>>> files on each partition.
>>> Both PCs have up to date Windows 10 Pro running.
>>>

>> Does the Surface Pro show the correct properties (Used Space and Free
>> Space) of the partitions?
>
> I remove the only visible folder in one of the partitons, leaving it
> "empty". Then I go to the MiniTools Parition Wizard and it shows that
> the partiton is pretty full of data. So it seems that the files and
> folders are still there but just not showing up by the normal access
> and viewing methods.

I meant the properties in File Explorer.

--
Robin

Re: Surface Pro 2 not reading external drive properly

<jvrcbgFfd91U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2836&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2836

From: individ...@spaced.me.uk (T i m)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 13:17:35 +0000
 by: T i m - Tue, 13 Dec 2022 13:17 UTC

On 13/12/2022 10:13, Mike Halmarack wrote:
<snip>

> Thanks for that info it comes over as very thorough and detailed.

Thank you. It's often not particularly scientific, more finger in the
air based on 'you can manage what you can measure'. ;-)

> My current problem is that I want to keep as much as possible of my
> computing in one heated room. The one with the Surface Pro 2 and the
> big TV, which covers yet more domestic (in)activities.

Erm, sorry, I'm not sure I quite follow the situation there Mike.

Are you saying the issue is when you *aren't* using the room and any
wasted heat from the tech stuff is then really going to waste?

If that's the case then whilst you are right, the waste heat isn't
completely going to waste if you keep the room closed when not in use as
it might still lift the base temperature (slightly) meaning your
intentional heating has slightly less work to do when you turn it on
(winter only etc).

I think the science should support that that very low level of heat will
only raise the temperature slightly (if at all ITRW <g>) meaning the
temperature differential will stay very small and so it won't lose much
of that heat as fast as it will when the heating is up and the
temperature is higher.

The other thing I try to do is match the solution to the actual need as
closely as possible, even if that means it's a compromise.

So say I have a video server that is on 24/7 that needs to transcode
then it may need to be more powerful (and so likely have a higher power
consumption) than one that can't and you have to rely on the client
device to do more of the work, but that might only be on when you are
there watching TV?

Or if you look at a File Server that like my RPi, isn't the fastest in
the world so means that I might need to copy an HD video file locally to
be able to play it smoothly, that 'effort' could be considered worth it
for the few times you might have to do it every year? Or only bothering
with SD over HD because you still get the spirit of a film, even without
every fine detail?

All of this is a function of the usage. eg, Work where 'time is money'
or pleasure where as long as it works, a bit of extra delay (in the
overall picture) might be acceptable?

Given that most home file servers are probably 1% utilised ... ?

I invested a reasonable sum in the Odroid N2+ home automation host
because I planned having it a long time, it needed to be on 24/7 (and it
can't sleep) and so I wanted to use something that was both fully
supported and used the least power. I think it runs at about 3W idle
(and it is most of the time) and less than 7W running a test on all 4 cores.

https://carlosedp.medium.com/hardkernel-odroid-n2-review-and-benchmarks-b6996b002582

If you compare that (.003 kW x 24 h x 365 d = 27kWh/pa) with say the
Atom powered shuttles I have several of that idle at 10W (88 kWh/pa),
that's a saving of ~60 kWh/pa or about £20 at the current prices (if my
maths is right). ;-)

Now, given I paid around £140 for the complete Odroid solution (board,
case, PSU, pre programmed eMMC and delivery etc) that means compared
with the (free) shuttles it will take 7 years to break even. However,
what it also means is it can only get better if the energy prices
increase and keeping the base load down means it would all be easier to
support though power cuts via a UPS and doing my bit for the grid.

Talking of that, it's interesting to see how close we get to the UK
power demand wire:

https://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/
(top left gauge).

Cheers, T i m

Re: P

<nb0hphdg1h0486ibjim9k1bm7268iqe1f8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2837&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2837

From: mikehalm...@gmail.com (Mike Halmarack)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 13:48:43 +0000
 by: Mike Halmarack - Tue, 13 Dec 2022 13:48 UTC

On Tue, 13 Dec 2022 11:30:49 +0000, Robin <rbw@outlook.com> wrote:

>On 13/12/2022 10:51, Mike Halmarack wrote:

>>> Does the Surface Pro show the correct properties (Used Space and Free
>>> Space) of the partitions?
>>
>> I remove the only visible folder in one of the partitons, leaving it
>> "empty". Then I go to the MiniTools Parition Wizard and it shows that
>> the partiton is pretty full of data. So it seems that the files and
>> folders are still there but just not showing up by the normal access
>> and viewing methods.
>
>I meant the properties in File Explorer.

Same result, they both show a partition that contains a lot of data.
But no sign of any folders or files when viewed in the File Manager.
--

Mike

Re: Surface Pro 2 not reading external drive properly

<4s0hphllne6uc392hao1ht7f8pl739hdg9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2838&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2838

From: mikehalm...@gmail.com (Mike Halmarack)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 14:08:26 +0000
 by: Mike Halmarack - Tue, 13 Dec 2022 14:08 UTC

On Tue, 13 Dec 2022 13:17:35 +0000, T i m <individual@spaced.me.uk>
wrote:

>On 13/12/2022 10:13, Mike Halmarack wrote:
><snip>
>>
>> Thanks for that info it comes over as very thorough and detailed.
>
>Thank you. It's often not particularly scientific, more finger in the
>air based on 'you can manage what you can measure'. ;-)
>
>> My current problem is that I want to keep as much as possible of my
>> computing in one heated room. The one with the Surface Pro 2 and the
>> big TV, which covers yet more domestic (in)activities.
>
>Erm, sorry, I'm not sure I quite follow the situation there Mike.
>
>Are you saying the issue is when you *aren't* using the room and any
>wasted heat from the tech stuff is then really going to waste?

In my simple way I'm not so much thinking of the heat and energy going
to waste so much as the energy being used at all, or more to the
point, not being used. this on the crude basis that the less
electricity I use, the smaller the energy bill will be. A small
gesture with a similarly sized effect.

> [...]
>
>https://carlosedp.medium.com/hardkernel-odroid-n2-review-and-benchmarks-b6996b002582
>
>If you compare that (.003 kW x 24 h x 365 d = 27kWh/pa) with say the
>Atom powered shuttles I have several of that idle at 10W (88 kWh/pa),
>that's a saving of ~60 kWh/pa or about £20 at the current prices (if my
>maths is right). ;-)
>
>Now, given I paid around £140 for the complete Odroid solution (board,
>case, PSU, pre programmed eMMC and delivery etc) that means compared
>with the (free) shuttles it will take 7 years to break even. However,
>what it also means is it can only get better if the energy prices
>increase and keeping the base load down means it would all be easier to
>support though power cuts via a UPS and doing my bit for the grid.
>
>Talking of that, it's interesting to see how close we get to the UK

This subject, as you describe it, is so interesting and relevant, that
once I get my archive drive fixed, I'll give it a lot more
consideration than I did before you explained it so well.

--

Mike

Re: P

<8ac37d25-5dee-7e95-0d8a-183c0a16eb14@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2839&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2839

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 14:10:55 +0000
 by: Robin - Tue, 13 Dec 2022 14:10 UTC

On 13/12/2022 13:48, Mike Halmarack wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Dec 2022 11:30:49 +0000, Robin <rbw@outlook.com> wrote:

>>> I remove the only visible folder in one of the partitons, leaving it
>>> "empty". Then I go to the MiniTools Parition Wizard and it shows that
>>> the partiton is pretty full of data. So it seems that the files and
>>> folders are still there but just not showing up by the normal access
>>> and viewing methods.
>>
>> I meant the properties in File Explorer.
>
> Same result, they both show a partition that contains a lot of data.
> But no sign of any folders or files when viewed in the File Manager.

Then FWIW I'd start by checking the settings for your User in the
Security tab in Properties, followed by File Explorer's View Options for
View.
--
Robin

Re: P

<0u1hph5ibkokcio8ospe5mrukhbq81ht7v@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2840&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2840

From: mikehalm...@gmail.com (Mike Halmarack)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 14:27:56 +0000
 by: Mike Halmarack - Tue, 13 Dec 2022 14:27 UTC

wrote:

>On 13/12/2022 in message <pslgph1nk5051ftq4b9c1mq8839ceh140b@4ax.com> Mike
>Halmarack wrote:
>
>>>Does the Surface Pro show the correct properties (Used Space and Free
>>>Space) of the partitions?
>>
>>I remove the only visible folder in one of the partitons, leaving it
>>"empty". Then I go to the MiniTools Parition Wizard and it shows that
>>the partiton is pretty full of data. So it seems that the files and
>>folders are still there but just not showing up by the normal access
>>and viewing methods.
>
>Clutching a bit at straws but every time I reinstall the OS I have to take
>ownership of shared files again or Windows whines about needing
>administrative approval, might it be linked to that?

Thanks for the help Jeff.

It's only this one of 3 partitions that has this particular problem.
I went to Properties>Security and gave full permissions to "Everyone",
reassured to see that process giving the files and folders lots of
welly.
All the same, the end result left me just where I was beforehand.
I did then notice that the partition, despite showing no folders or
files now, was dangerously full (showing a red bar). So this might be
having an adverse effect.

I'm thinking of making my Desktop PC the home of a new internal
archive drive, only to be accessed for occasional data backup
purposes instead of running all the time.
For reliability of such a disc, and it looks like it's going to have
to be a lot bigger than 8TB, can you recommend an ideal brand and
model?
--

Mike

Re: P

<ik5hphd36a8bjp053bfh1nipckivnbc3j8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2841&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2841

From: mikehalm...@gmail.com (Mike Halmarack)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 15:18:03 +0000
 by: Mike Halmarack - Tue, 13 Dec 2022 15:18 UTC

On Tue, 13 Dec 2022 14:10:55 +0000, Robin <rbw@outlook.com> wrote:

>On 13/12/2022 13:48, Mike Halmarack wrote:

>>> I meant the properties in File Explorer.
>>
>> Same result, they both show a partition that contains a lot of data.
>> But no sign of any folders or files when viewed in the File Manager.
>
>Then FWIW I'd start by checking the settings for your User in the
>Security tab in Properties, followed by File Explorer's View Options for
>View.
Thanks Robin, running through the view options in windows explorer
did the trick. Amazing! How I managed to mess up those option in the
first place, not having been in there for a long, long time I just
don't know.

Re: P

<xn0nqk9y8302npe003@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2842&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2842

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 13 Dec 2022 16:43:00 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Tue, 13 Dec 2022 16:43 UTC

On 13/12/2022 in message <0u1hph5ibkokcio8ospe5mrukhbq81ht7v@4ax.com> Mike
Halmarack wrote:

>I'm thinking of making my Desktop PC the home of a new internal
>archive drive, only to be accessed for occasional data backup
>purposes instead of running all the time.
>For reliability of such a disc, and it looks like it's going to have
>to be a lot bigger than 8TB, can you recommend an ideal brand and
>model?

Blimey mussus, that's a big un :-)

Others in here will have a much better idea than me. I have just bought a
second NAS for backup and filled it with 2 TB WD Blues.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
I take full responsibility for what happened - that is why the person that

Re: P

<jvsi7rFlhilU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2843&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2843

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 14 Dec 2022 00:04:11 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Wed, 14 Dec 2022 00:04 UTC

On 13 Dec 2022 at 14:27:56 GMT, "Mike Halmarack"
<mikehalmarack@gmail.com> wrote:

> For reliability of such a disc, and it looks like it's going to have
> to be a lot bigger than 8TB, can you recommend an ideal brand and
> model?

I've been using 14tb WD Elements disks, stripped out of their USB
shells, in my NAS with no issues after 3 years.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Politicians are not born, they are excreted
- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC

Re: P

<lk1jphlpht12ca7s4blchghkl5t7fpiqs0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2844&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2844

From: mikehalm...@gmail.com (Mike Halmarack)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 08:26:31 +0000
 by: Mike Halmarack - Wed, 14 Dec 2022 08:26 UTC

On 13 Dec 2022 16:43:00 GMT, "Jeff Gaines" <jgnewsid@outlook.com>
wrote:

>On 13/12/2022 in message <0u1hph5ibkokcio8ospe5mrukhbq81ht7v@4ax.com> Mike
>Halmarack wrote:
>
>>I'm thinking of making my Desktop PC the home of a new internal
>>archive drive, only to be accessed for occasional data backup
>>purposes instead of running all the time.
>>For reliability of such a disc, and it looks like it's going to have
>>to be a lot bigger than 8TB, can you recommend an ideal brand and
>>model?
>
>Blimey mussus, that's a big un :-)

32+ years of files on 10TB of drives. Probably only 1TB worth keeping.
Sorting the WAV from the GIF would be a heck of a job though. Easier
just to bung it all on extra drive space.

>Others in here will have a much better idea than me. I have just bought a
>second NAS for backup and filled it with 2 TB WD Blues.

I'm sure you're doing great things Jeff. Until the day I catch up with
your well described projects, I'll need to keep it a little simpler.
--

Mike

Re: P

<f62jphdml6v7ohqb5i0kvqg0fvkq1pq7u3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2845&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2845

From: mikehalm...@gmail.com (Mike Halmarack)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 08:28:02 +0000
 by: Mike Halmarack - Wed, 14 Dec 2022 08:28 UTC

On 14 Dec 2022 00:04:11 GMT, Jaimie Vandenbergh
<jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:

>On 13 Dec 2022 at 14:27:56 GMT, "Mike Halmarack"
><mikehalmarack@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> For reliability of such a disc, and it looks like it's going to have
>> to be a lot bigger than 8TB, can you recommend an ideal brand and
>> model?
>
>I've been using 14tb WD Elements disks, stripped out of their USB
>shells, in my NAS with no issues after 3 years.
>
> Cheers - Jaimie

That sounds very much like the way to go for me. Thanks

Re: P

<e5cjph16hf6tp5urpb4npt8mouf0tve51a@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2848&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2848

From: mikehalm...@gmail.com (Mike Halmarack)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 11:28:45 +0000
 by: Mike Halmarack - Wed, 14 Dec 2022 11:28 UTC

On Tue, 13 Dec 2022 14:10:55 +0000, Robin <rbw@outlook.com> wrote:

>Then FWIW I'd start by checking the settings for your User in the
>Security tab in Properties, followed by File Explorer's View Options for
>View.

Slighty strange that I only got to view the folders by checking "Show
hidden files, folders and drives" in the Option list.
So, the folders did then show up but with a transparent icon which
indicated that these are hidden folders, which I never previously
chose as an option anywhere.

I did overcome this after finding advice on the CMD input:

attrib -h -r -s /s /d X:\*.*
Where X is the drive or Partion affected.

Windows 10 does seem to like to keep me busy.
--

Mike