If a 'train station' is where a train stops, what's a 'workstation'?

aus+uk / uk.rec.waterways / Insurance for boat over 100 years old

SubjectAuthor
* Insurance for boat over 100 years oldChris Green
+* Re: Insurance for boat over 100 years oldChrisND @UKRW
|+* Re: Insurance for boat over 100 years oldChris Green
||+- Re: Insurance for boat over 100 years oldChrisND @UKRW
||`- Re: Insurance for boat over 100 years oldMartin Nicholas
|`* Re: Insurance for boat over 100 years oldSir Tim
| +* Re: Insurance for boat over 100 years oldChris Green
| |+- Re: Insurance for boat over 100 years oldSir Tim
| |`- Re: Insurance for boat over 100 years oldJulian Macassey
| `- Re: Insurance for boat over 100 years oldChrisND @UKRW
`- Re: Insurance for boat over 100 years oldMartin Nicholas

1
Insurance for boat over 100 years old

<6s71ph-7p29.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=285&group=uk.rec.waterways#285

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.waterways
Subject: Insurance for boat over 100 years old
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2021 11:09:42 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Mon, 7 Jun 2021 10:09 UTC

My daughter is looking into buying a (just over) 100 years old
converted barge, it's a liveaboard and she won't be moving it
anywhere, just living on it.

Who will insure something like this? Any ideas?

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Insurance for boat over 100 years old

<ii6d27F5v37U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=286&group=uk.rec.waterways#286

From: chri...@privacy.net (ChrisND @UKRW)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.waterways
Subject: Re: Insurance for boat over 100 years old
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2021 12:08:54 +0100
 by: ChrisND @UKRW - Mon, 7 Jun 2021 11:08 UTC

On 07/06/2021 11:09, Chris Green wrote:
> My daughter is looking into buying a (just over) 100 years old
> converted barge, it's a liveaboard and she won't be moving it
> anywhere, just living on it.
>
> Who will insure something like this? Any ideas?

Hmm, interesting one. I think the answer depends on exactly what needs
to be insured - and where and on whose waters.
The 'what' means, is it the boat itself? (against what potential losses
- eg fire, theft, sinking?), the contents? third party insurance?
The 'where' will be affected by the navigation authority concerned who
will have their own version of what is needed - so that might be the
best starting place?
One final thought, you say barge? If it is actually a narrow boat then
insurance may well be different. There is also a huge difference
between a boat that is not capable of movement and one that is capable
but does not move.
HTH, Chris

--
http://www.Deuchars.co.uk
Author & Publisher: "A Boaters Guide to BOATING"

Re: Insurance for boat over 100 years old

<kmc1ph-h5c9.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=287&group=uk.rec.waterways#287

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.waterways
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2021 12:32:04 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Mon, 7 Jun 2021 11:32 UTC

ChrisND @UKRW <chrisnd@privacy.net> wrote:
> On 07/06/2021 11:09, Chris Green wrote:
> > My daughter is looking into buying a (just over) 100 years old
> > converted barge, it's a liveaboard and she won't be moving it
> > anywhere, just living on it.
> >
> > Who will insure something like this? Any ideas?
> >
> Hmm, interesting one. I think the answer depends on exactly what needs
> to be insured - and where and on whose waters.
> The 'what' means, is it the boat itself? (against what potential losses
> - eg fire, theft, sinking?), the contents? third party insurance?

Yes, it's contents and the structure of the boat she wants to insure
as it would be expensive if there was a fire for example.

> The 'where' will be affected by the navigation authority concerned who
> will have their own version of what is needed - so that might be the
> best starting place?

It's at a private marina on a tributary of the tidal Deben, other
boats at the same marina have no insurance so there is no requirement
for insurance.

> One final thought, you say barge? If it is actually a narrow boat then
> insurance may well be different. There is also a huge difference
> between a boat that is not capable of movement and one that is capable
> but does not move.

It's a converted Grimsby barge, it's now 65ft long and 20ft beam so
definitely not a narrow boat! It was sailed down from Grimsby under
its own power in 2013 but it isn't immediately 'drivable' now though
not much needs to be done to make it so again.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Insurance for boat over 100 years old

<ii6jvvF7a49U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=288&group=uk.rec.waterways#288

From: chri...@privacy.net (ChrisND @UKRW)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.waterways
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2021 14:07:10 +0100
 by: ChrisND @UKRW - Mon, 7 Jun 2021 13:07 UTC

On 07/06/2021 12:32, Chris Green wrote:
> ChrisND @UKRW <chrisnd@privacy.net> wrote:
>> On 07/06/2021 11:09, Chris Green wrote:
>>> My daughter is looking into buying a (just over) 100 years old
>>> converted barge, it's a liveaboard and she won't be moving it
>>> anywhere, just living on it.
>>>
>>> Who will insure something like this? Any ideas?
>>>
>> Hmm, interesting one. I think the answer depends on exactly what needs
>> to be insured - and where and on whose waters.
>> The 'what' means, is it the boat itself? (against what potential losses
>> - eg fire, theft, sinking?), the contents? third party insurance?
>
> Yes, it's contents and the structure of the boat she wants to insure
> as it would be expensive if there was a fire for example.
>

>> The 'where' will be affected by the navigation authority concerned who
>> will have their own version of what is needed - so that might be the
>> best starting place?
>
> It's at a private marina on a tributary of the tidal Deben, other
> boats at the same marina have no insurance so there is no requirement
> for insurance.
>

>> One final thought, you say barge? If it is actually a narrow boat then
>> insurance may well be different. There is also a huge difference
>> between a boat that is not capable of movement and one that is capable
>> but does not move.
>
> It's a converted Grimsby barge, it's now 65ft long and 20ft beam so
> definitely not a narrow boat! It was sailed down from Grimsby under
> its own power in 2013 but it isn't immediately 'drivable' now though
> not much needs to be done to make it so again.

I am mainly a narrow boat person in these respects, so I can't really
help on barge insurance, but I would strongly suggest to contact one of
the specific barge ownership groups eg https://barges.org and also seek
out specific barge forums of different types to see what options they
recommend for historic craft.

Incidentally, I run a website at www.hiwb.org.uk for historic inland
working boats of all uk types. You might find some of the links on the
commercial services page worth a try. Also, if you could send me a few
photos of yours and a bit of history, I will add it to my site and/or
archive.

Cheers, Chris

--
http://www.Deuchars.co.uk
Author & Publisher: "A Boaters Guide to BOATING"
Mixing old and new waterway techniques. ISBN 9780953151202
Details: http://www.deuchars.co.uk/publication/

Re: Insurance for boat over 100 years old

<20210607142546.4b5d6340@dsklinux.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=289&group=uk.rec.waterways#289

From: reply-2...@mgn.org.uk (Martin Nicholas)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.waterways
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2021 14:25:46 +0100
 by: Martin Nicholas - Mon, 7 Jun 2021 13:25 UTC

On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 12:32:04 +0100
Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:

> It's a converted Grimsby barge, it's now 65ft long and 20ft beam so
> definitely not a narrow boat! It was sailed down from Grimsby under
> its own power in 2013 but it isn't immediately 'drivable' now though
> not much needs to be done to make it so again.

The insurance phrase for that is "laid up afloat".

You might consider whipping the engine out, selling it possibly. This
could be beneficial for insurance purposes.

--
Regards,

Martin Nicholas.

E-mail: reply-202106@mgn.org.uk (Address will be valid throughout
June).

Posted with Claws Mail, a free & open source e-email client
(https://www.claws-mail.org/).

Re: Insurance for boat over 100 years old

<ik6hkfFhm50U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=311&group=uk.rec.waterways#311

From: no_em...@invalid.invalid (Sir Tim)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.waterways
Date: 1 Jul 2021 18:59:27 GMT
 by: Sir Tim - Thu, 1 Jul 2021 18:59 UTC

ChrisND @UKRW <chrisnd@privacy.net> wrote:
> On 07/06/2021 11:09, Chris Green wrote:
>> My daughter is looking into buying a (just over) 100 years old
>> converted barge, it's a liveaboard and she won't be moving it
>> anywhere, just living on it.
>>
>> Who will insure something like this? Any ideas?
>>
> Hmm, interesting one. I think the answer depends on exactly what needs
> to be insured - and where and on whose waters.
> The 'what' means, is it the boat itself? (against what potential losses
> - eg fire, theft, sinking?), the contents? third party insurance?
> The 'where' will be affected by the navigation authority concerned who
> will have their own version of what is needed - so that might be the
> best starting place?
> One final thought, you say barge? If it is actually a narrow boat then
> insurance may well be different. There is also a huge difference
> between a boat that is not capable of movement and one that is capable
> but does not move.
> HTH, Chris

Good to see you are still about, Chris. I still have a copy of your
excellent book. Seem to remember that you had trouble with bicycle thieves
at one time.

--
Sir Tim

Re: Insurance for boat over 100 years old

<lhg1rh-tbqs.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=312&group=uk.rec.waterways#312

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.waterways
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2021 20:10:13 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Thu, 1 Jul 2021 19:10 UTC

Sir Tim <no_email@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> ChrisND @UKRW <chrisnd@privacy.net> wrote:
> > On 07/06/2021 11:09, Chris Green wrote:
> >> My daughter is looking into buying a (just over) 100 years old
> >> converted barge, it's a liveaboard and she won't be moving it
> >> anywhere, just living on it.
> >>
> >> Who will insure something like this? Any ideas?
> >>
> > Hmm, interesting one. I think the answer depends on exactly what needs
> > to be insured - and where and on whose waters.
> > The 'what' means, is it the boat itself? (against what potential losses
> > - eg fire, theft, sinking?), the contents? third party insurance?
> > The 'where' will be affected by the navigation authority concerned who
> > will have their own version of what is needed - so that might be the
> > best starting place?
> > One final thought, you say barge? If it is actually a narrow boat then
> > insurance may well be different. There is also a huge difference
> > between a boat that is not capable of movement and one that is capable
> > but does not move.
> > HTH, Chris
> >

> Good to see you are still about, Chris. I still have a copy of your
> excellent book. Seem to remember that you had trouble with bicycle thieves
> at one time.

Isn't "bicycle thieves" a famous French film of the 1940s/1950s?

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Insurance for boat over 100 years old

<ik6ivsFhv0nU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=313&group=uk.rec.waterways#313

From: no_em...@invalid.invalid (Sir Tim)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.waterways
Date: 1 Jul 2021 19:22:36 GMT
 by: Sir Tim - Thu, 1 Jul 2021 19:22 UTC

Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> Sir Tim <no_email@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> ChrisND @UKRW <chrisnd@privacy.net> wrote:

>>> Hmm, interesting one. I think the answer depends on exactly what needs
>>> to be insured - and where and on whose waters.
>>> The 'what' means, is it the boat itself? (against what potential losses
>>> - eg fire, theft, sinking?), the contents? third party insurance?
>>> The 'where' will be affected by the navigation authority concerned who
>>> will have their own version of what is needed - so that might be the
>>> best starting place?
>>> One final thought, you say barge? If it is actually a narrow boat then
>>> insurance may well be different. There is also a huge difference
>>> between a boat that is not capable of movement and one that is capable
>>> but does not move.
>>> HTH, Chris
>>>

>> Good to see you are still about, Chris. I still have a copy of your
>> excellent book. Seem to remember that you had trouble with bicycle thieves
>> at one time.
>>
> Isn't "bicycle thieves" a famous French film of the 1940s/1950s?

Indeed. De Sica 1948.

--
Sir Tim

Re: Insurance for boat over 100 years old

<slrnsduj6o.3b1fa.julian@tele.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=316&group=uk.rec.waterways#316

From: jul...@tele.com (Julian Macassey)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.waterways
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2021 17:28:56 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Julian Macassey - Fri, 2 Jul 2021 17:28 UTC

On Thu, 1 Jul 2021 20:10:13 +0100, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> Sir Tim <no_email@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> Good to see you are still about, Chris. I still have a copy of your
>> excellent book. Seem to remember that you had trouble with bicycle thieves
>> at one time.
>>
> Isn't "bicycle thieves" a famous French film of the 1940s/1950s?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040522/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_1

Italian film 1948

--
Insert snappy quote here

Re: Insurance for boat over 100 years old

<20210706182217.5316baa1@dsklinux.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=325&group=uk.rec.waterways#325

From: reply-2...@mgn.org.uk (Martin Nicholas)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.waterways
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2021 18:22:17 +0100
 by: Martin Nicholas - Tue, 6 Jul 2021 17:22 UTC

On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 11:09:42 +0100
Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:

> My daughter is looking into buying a (just over) 100 years old
> converted barge, it's a liveaboard and she won't be moving it
> anywhere, just living on it.
>
> Who will insure something like this? Any ideas?

This just popped on RSS:
https://www.boatingbusiness.com/news101/finance-and-insurance/historic-vessel-insurance

--
Regards,

Martin Nicholas.

E-mail: reply-202107@mgn.org.uk (Address will be valid throughout
July).

The Usenet: Proof that social media didn't just begin with FB.

Re: Insurance for boat over 100 years old

<ikbg8sFg6phU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=495&group=uk.rec.waterways#495

From: chri...@privacy.net (ChrisND @UKRW)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.waterways
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2021 17:06:52 +0100
 by: ChrisND @UKRW - Sat, 3 Jul 2021 16:06 UTC

On 01/07/2021 19:59, Sir Tim wrote:
> ChrisND @UKRW <chrisnd@privacy.net> wrote:
>> On 07/06/2021 11:09, Chris Green wrote:
>>> My daughter is looking into buying a (just over) 100 years old
>>> converted barge, it's a liveaboard and she won't be moving it
>>> anywhere, just living on it.
>>>
>>> Who will insure something like this? Any ideas?
>>>
>> Hmm, interesting one. I think the answer depends on exactly what needs
>> to be insured - and where and on whose waters.
>> The 'what' means, is it the boat itself? (against what potential losses
>> - eg fire, theft, sinking?), the contents? third party insurance?
>> The 'where' will be affected by the navigation authority concerned who
>> will have their own version of what is needed - so that might be the
>> best starting place?
>> One final thought, you say barge? If it is actually a narrow boat then
>> insurance may well be different. There is also a huge difference
>> between a boat that is not capable of movement and one that is capable
>> but does not move.
>> HTH, Chris
>>

> Good to see you are still about, Chris. I still have a copy of your
> excellent book. Seem to remember that you had trouble with bicycle thieves
> at one time.

Thanks, yes still about - just haven't been around here for much - until
lockdown :-)

Chris D