From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: An impressive derailment
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 15:23:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 15:23 UTC

In the USA but nonetheless, quite interesting. I guess this could be used as
an argument against pushing lightly loaded trains around corners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFLJvpwm52Q

Re: An impressive derailment

<jcdfpbFadi6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28516&group=uk.railway#28516

From: gemeha...@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: An impressive derailment
Date: 21 Apr 2022 16:41:16 GMT
 by: Marland - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 16:41 UTC

<Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
> In the USA but nonetheless, quite interesting. I guess this could be used as
> an argument against pushing lightly loaded trains around corners.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFLJvpwm52Q

I like the way the operator of the snow sweeper just gets on with his job
and doesn’t stop to film it Social media .Perhaps that is because that that
junction seems to have quite a few incidents . Only a few weeks ago the
same camera picked up a car whose truck(bogie) had become detached from the
pivot and was running loose further back under the car.

GH

Re: An impressive derailment

<vid36h5rq898n0td68f9q6qvnmp8u27oos@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28531&group=uk.railway#28531

From: c.l...@fairpoint.net (Christopher A. Lee)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 15:45:32 -0500
 by: Christopher A. Lee - Thu, 21 Apr 2022 20:45 UTC

On 21 Apr 2022 16:41:16 GMT, Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk>
wrote:

><Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>> In the USA but nonetheless, quite interesting. I guess this could be used as
>> an argument against pushing lightly loaded trains around corners.
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFLJvpwm52Q
>>

>I like the way the operator of the snow sweeper just gets on with his job
>and doesn’t stop to film it Social media .Perhaps that is because that that
>junction seems to have quite a few incidents . Only a few weeks ago the
>same camera picked up a car whose truck(bogie) had become detached from the
>pivot and was running loose further back under the car.
>
>GH

It's an extremely tight reverse curve as part of a complex more than
4-way junction next to the Kansas River, in Kansas City. KS. The
bridge continues over the river as the upper deck of a double decker
bridge,

They're always having trouble on this curve. The bowstring effect of
80' cars doesn't help.

It's a great place to watch trains, and there's always someone with a
camerta as well as the fixed cameras.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_City_Terminal_Railway

Re: An impressive derailment

<t3tv89$itk$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28553&group=uk.railway#28553

From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 10:15:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 10:15 UTC

On 21 Apr 2022 16:41:16 GMT
Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
><Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>> In the USA but nonetheless, quite interesting. I guess this could be used as
>> an argument against pushing lightly loaded trains around corners.
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFLJvpwm52Q
>>

>I like the way the operator of the snow sweeper just gets on with his job
>and doesn’t stop to film it Social media .Perhaps that is because that that
>junction seems to have quite a few incidents . Only a few weeks ago the
>same camera picked up a car whose truck(bogie) had become detached from the
>pivot and was running loose further back under the car.

I find it odd how US railway vehicles don't have their bogies (or even it
seems the axles) attached in any meaningful way other than via gravity meaning
during a derailment they fly off all over the place which aside from meaning
more work during clearup but the potential for killing someone nearby.

Re: An impressive derailment

<t3u6l9$j6l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28559&group=uk.railway#28559

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 12:22:01 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:thGmSX6r9Q9TQUQv+L+CUQ86dZ4=
 by: Recliner - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 12:22 UTC

<Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
> On 21 Apr 2022 16:41:16 GMT
> Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
>> <Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>>> In the USA but nonetheless, quite interesting. I guess this could be used as
>>> an argument against pushing lightly loaded trains around corners.
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFLJvpwm52Q
>>>

>> I like the way the operator of the snow sweeper just gets on with his job
>> and doesn’t stop to film it Social media .Perhaps that is because that that
>> junction seems to have quite a few incidents . Only a few weeks ago the
>> same camera picked up a car whose truck(bogie) had become detached from the
>> pivot and was running loose further back under the car.
>
> I find it odd how US railway vehicles don't have their bogies (or even it
> seems the axles) attached in any meaningful way other than via gravity meaning
> during a derailment they fly off all over the place which aside from meaning
> more work during clearup but the potential for killing someone nearby.

Not just the US. See
<https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1059412/R022022_220310_Carmont.pdf>

The coaches were not fitted with any form of bogie retention in the
vertical direction, and this allowed the vehicle bodies to lift off their
bogies during the derailment. As a consequence of losing their bogies,
three of the coaches were free to slide and roll in an uncontrolled manner
(attached bogies tend
to resist sliding because they dig into the ballast). The detached bogies
also became obstacles in the path of the vehicle bodies, and the second
coach probably suffered penetration damage as a result of striking detached
bogies.

Re: An impressive derailment

<t3ukk9$tqm$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28567&group=uk.railway#28567

From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 16:20:25 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Fri, 22 Apr 2022 16:20 UTC

On Fri, 22 Apr 2022 12:22:01 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
><Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>> On 21 Apr 2022 16:41:16 GMT
>> Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
>as

>>> I like the way the operator of the snow sweeper just gets on with his job
>>> and doesn’t stop to film it Social media .Perhaps that is because that
>that
>>> junction seems to have quite a few incidents . Only a few weeks ago the
>>> same camera picked up a car whose truck(bogie) had become detached from the
>>> pivot and was running loose further back under the car.
>>
>> I find it odd how US railway vehicles don't have their bogies (or even it
>> seems the axles) attached in any meaningful way other than via gravity
>meaning
>> during a derailment they fly off all over the place which aside from meaning
>> more work during clearup but the potential for killing someone nearby.
>
>Not just the US. See
><https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/att
>achment_data/file/1059412/R022022_220310_Carmont.pdf>
>
>The coaches were not fitted with any form of bogie retention in the
>vertical direction, and this allowed the vehicle bodies to lift off their
>bogies during the derailment. As a consequence of losing their bogies,
>three of the coaches were free to slide and roll in an uncontrolled manner
>(attached bogies tend
>to resist sliding because they dig into the ballast). The detached bogies
>also became obstacles in the path of the vehicle bodies, and the second
>coach probably suffered penetration damage as a result of striking detached
>bogies.

Ouch. One has to wonder at the thought processes behind the engineer who
decided against a bogie retention system. Hopefully its not the case with
modern UK stock.