A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart that looks at her watch. -- James Beard

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / Re: Discarded

SubjectAuthor
* DiscardedHymermut
+- Discardedhubops
+* DiscardedTease'n'Seize
|+* Discardedmaus
||+- DiscardedKerr-Mudd, John
||`* DiscardedDennis
|| +* DiscardedNicholas D. Richards
|| |`- Discardedmaus
|| `- Discardedmaus
|`* DiscardedNicholas D. Richards
| `- Discardedsoup
+- DiscardedPeter
+* DiscardedAhem A Rivet's Shot
|`* DiscardedRichard Robinson
| +- Discardedmaus
| `* DiscardedTease'n'Seize
|  `- DiscardedRichard Robinson
+- DiscardedChris Elvidge
+* DiscardedSn!pe
|`- Discardedmaus
+* DiscardedSam Plusnet
|`* DiscardedJim the Geordie
| `* DiscardedRichard Robinson
|  `- DiscardedHymermut
`- Re: DiscardedBrian Gaff

1
Discarded

<ulo7gd$367qi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27963&group=uk.rec.sheds#27963

From: ton...@email.com (Hymermut)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Discarded
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 01:33:00 +0000
 by: Hymermut - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 01:33 UTC

Do other Sheddi eschew this Christmas Card habit? Or am I just a Scrooge?

Where I dwell in sheltered accommodation there are 65 of us.

Some residents buy cards for all 65, although they would never even
speak to them during the rest of the year. That isn't a cheap deal, even
without the postage.

Apart from those, I have received two cards, and they are from my
siblings. I have sent out none at all, to anyone. But I do state that
instead of sending out Christmas cards I have donated the money to the
Salvation Army Christmas appeal.

I don't agree totally with their beliefs but I do agree with what they
do for those in need. And there are no heavy admin overheads or highly
paid CEOs, like the WWF or RSPCA for example.

The Quakers also get a donation for similar reasons. They do a lot for
those in need, but they keep quiet about it.

Tone

Re: Discarded

<35avnid2jpqf7fug94461mgtqj216n1s7t@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27964&group=uk.rec.sheds#27964

From: hub...@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: Discarded
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2023 21:23:26 -0500
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.com - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 02:23 UTC

On Mon, 18 Dec 2023 01:33:00 +0000, Hymermut <tone@email.com> wrote:

>Do other Sheddi eschew this Christmas Card habit? Or am I just a Scrooge?
>Where I dwell in sheltered accommodation there are 65 of us.
>Some residents buy cards for all 65, although they would never even
>speak to them during the rest of the year. That isn't a cheap deal, even
>without the postage.
>Apart from those, I have received two cards, and they are from my
>siblings. I have sent out none at all, to anyone. But I do state that
>instead of sending out Christmas cards I have donated the money to the
>Salvation Army Christmas appeal.
>I don't agree totally with their beliefs but I do agree with what they
>do for those in need. And there are no heavy admin overheads or highly
>paid CEOs, like the WWF or RSPCA for example.
>The Quakers also get a donation for similar reasons. They do a lot for
>those in need, but they keep quiet about it.
>Tone

A charitable donation in lieu of a gift - I've heard of -
... but in lieu of a card ? .. seriously ?
I try to check-out charities before donating - here in Canada
a tax department web site provides data that helps to reveal
the various financial " priorities " of the charity.
.. overall budget, salaries, admin, fundraising ,
Some so-called charities are just money holes.
John T.

Re: Discarded

<a2adndJ2F4VUXeL4nZ2dnZfqn_WdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27965&group=uk.rec.sheds#27965

Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 03:47:22 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: tease-an...@invalid (Tease'n'Seize)
 by: Tease'n'Se - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 03:47 UTC

Hymermut wrote:

> Do other Sheddi eschew this Christmas Card habit? Or am I just a Scrooge?

I've pretty much given up nowadays, just a couple of aged aunts/uncles
who I send to ...

Re: Discarded

<slrnuo01rg.71h.maus@deb2.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27966&group=uk.rec.sheds#27966

From: mau...@deb2.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 18 Dec 2023 08:48:48 GMT
 by: maus - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 08:48 UTC

On 2023-12-18, Tease'n'Seize <tease-and-seize@invalid> wrote:
> Hymermut wrote:
>
>> Do other Sheddi eschew this Christmas Card habit? Or am I just a Scrooge?
>
> I've pretty much given up nowadays, just a couple of aged aunts/uncles
> who I send to ...

I got a card this year from someone who I havn't heard of for 20+ years.

--
greymausg@mail.com
T'was christmaus night in the Workhouse.

Re: Discarded

<20231218093009.0bed1da807d9a880b09a2a70@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27967&group=uk.rec.sheds#27967

From: adm...@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 09:30:09 +0000
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 09:30 UTC

On 18 Dec 2023 08:48:48 GMT
maus <maus@deb2.org> wrote:

> On 2023-12-18, Tease'n'Seize <tease-and-seize@invalid> wrote:
> > Hymermut wrote:
> >
> >> Do other Sheddi eschew this Christmas Card habit? Or am I just a Scrooge?
> >
> > I've pretty much given up nowadays, just a couple of aged aunts/uncles
> > who I send to ...
> >

> I got a card this year from someone who I havn't heard of for 20+ years.

And how did that make you feel? </Psychologist bot>

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: Discarded

<XnsB0DE6997B9D7FFactura3476@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27968&group=uk.rec.sheds#27968

From: mys...@prune.org.uk (Peter)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 10:22:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Peter - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 10:22 UTC

Hymermut <tone@email.com> wrote in news:ulo7gd$367qi$1@dont-email.me:

> Do other Sheddi eschew this Christmas Card habit?

No

> Or am I just a Scrooge?

Yes

But seriously, I've just sent out 40, mainly inland but also including from
Canada, Spain and Finland. I hate doing it so I've automated as much as
possible, but it's a big thing in our rather large fambly & fiend network.
Failure to send would result in queries of genuine concern about our
welbeing.

--
Peter
-----

Re: Discarded

<69VfN.401229$xECb.88901@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27969&group=uk.rec.sheds#27969

From: den...@stormingwaming.blot (Dennis)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 10:28:18 GMT
 by: Dennis - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 10:28 UTC

On Mon, 18 Dec 2023 08:48:48 +0000, maus wrote:

> On 2023-12-18, Tease'n'Seize <tease-and-seize@invalid> wrote:
>> Hymermut wrote:
>>
>>> Do other Sheddi eschew this Christmas Card habit? Or am I just a
>>> Scrooge?
>>
>> I've pretty much given up nowadays, just a couple of aged aunts/uncles
>> who I send to ...
>>

> I got a card this year from someone who I havn't heard of for 20+ years.

Michael Barrymore?

Re: Discarded

<20231218105923.38910c1226e6e26d04ec2b91@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27970&group=uk.rec.sheds#27970

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 10:59:23 +0000
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 10:59 UTC

On Mon, 18 Dec 2023 01:33:00 +0000
Hymermut <tone@email.com> wrote:

> Do other Sheddi eschew this Christmas Card habit?

Yes, since long before I kicked the Christmas habit, I came to view
them as a parasitic rip off (consider the mark up over a ream of card).

> Or am I just a Scrooge?

Dunno - maybe. I probably am, I don't do chrimble for good and
sufficient reason that those for whom I might do chrimble know and
appreciate.

As for donations, the ones I make are monthly.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: Discarded

<ulpbig$3fs8m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27971&group=uk.rec.sheds#27971

From: chr...@mshome.net (Chris Elvidge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 11:48:30 +0000
 by: Chris Elvidge - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 11:48 UTC

On 18/12/2023 01:33, Hymermut wrote:
> Do other Sheddi eschew this Christmas Card habit? Or am I just a Scrooge?
>
> Where I dwell in sheltered accommodation there are 65 of us.
>
> Some residents buy cards for all 65, although they would never even
> speak to them during the rest of the year. That isn't a cheap deal, even
> without the postage.
>
> Apart from those, I have received two cards, and they are from my
> siblings. I have sent out none at all, to anyone. But I do state that
> instead of sending out Christmas cards I have donated the money to the
> Salvation Army Christmas appeal.
>
> I don't agree totally with their beliefs but I do agree with what they
> do for those in need. And there are no heavy admin overheads or highly
> paid CEOs, like the WWF or RSPCA for example.
>
> The Quakers also get a donation for similar reasons. They do a lot for
> those in need, but they keep quiet about it.
>
> Tone

Donations in lieu of cards - I started doing this a couple of years ago.
I explained it in emails to all and sundry.
I still send emails to relevant persons, though.

--
Chris Elvidge, England
I WILL NOT YELL "SHE'S DEAD" DURING ROLL CALL

Re: Discarded

<jMLH7KAIkEglFAa9@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27972&group=uk.rec.sheds#27972

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 13:28:40 +0000
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 13:28 UTC

In article <a2adndJ2F4VUXeL4nZ2dnZfqn_WdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>,
Tease'n'Seize <tease-and-seize@invalid.?> on Mon, 18 Dec 2023 at
03:47:22 awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>Hymermut wrote:
>
>> Do other Sheddi eschew this Christmas Card habit? Or am I just a Scrooge?
>
>I've pretty much given up nowadays, just a couple of aged aunts/uncles
>who I send to ...

As opposed to a chore, it gives me a chance to keep up to date with that
diminishing band of contemporary friends and relatives. I buy a box of
blank charidy cards (I seem to remember it cost me about £8) and over
the month of November I write a brief resume of the year. Each message
is individual and written by hand (hope they can read my writing). The
mailing list grows smaller by the year as people drop off their perches.
It is quite a few years sinse a name has been added to the list,
alasssss.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: Discarded

<mseGjXAemEglFAYu@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27973&group=uk.rec.sheds#27973

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 13:31:10 +0000
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 13:31 UTC

In article <69VfN.401229$xECb.88901@usenetxs.com>, Dennis
<dennis@stormingwaming.blot> on Mon, 18 Dec 2023 at 10:28:18 awoke
Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>On Mon, 18 Dec 2023 08:48:48 +0000, maus wrote:

>>> I've pretty much given up nowadays, just a couple of aged aunts/uncles
>>> who I send to ...
>>>

>> I got a card this year from someone who I havn't heard of for 20+ years.
>
>Michael Barrymore?

As my sister said to my brother, 'Is he still alive?'
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: Discarded

<ulplas$3hfnt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27974&group=uk.rec.sheds#27974

From: inva...@invalid.com (soup)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 14:35:09 +0000
 by: soup - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 14:35 UTC

On 18/12/2023 13:28, Nicholas D. Richards wrote:

> As opposed to a chore, it gives me a chance to keep up to date with that
> diminishing band of contemporary friends and relatives.

Was that not one of Facebook's most touted reasons for existence?

Re: Discarded

<ulpq82$3ijv0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27976&group=uk.rec.sheds#27976

From: rich...@qualmograph.org.uk (Richard Robinson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 15:58:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Richard Robinson - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 15:58 UTC

Ahem A Rivet's Shot said:
> On Mon, 18 Dec 2023 01:33:00 +0000
> Hymermut <tone@email.com> wrote:
>
>> Do other Sheddi eschew this Christmas Card habit?
>
> Yes, since long before I kicked the Christmas habit, I came to view
> them as a parasitic rip off (consider the mark up over a ream of card).

Around here, there are people who sell cards of their own drawings, of
local scenes.

https://www.finelinesart.co.uk/morecambe-heysham?lightbox=dataItem-kgs24aam

So I ohl a few of of them to keep in touch with the few people that send
me cards.

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: Discarded

<1qlxzgm.l11l6z2f3hklN%snipeco.2@Use.Reply-To.Address.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27977&group=uk.rec.sheds#27977

From: snipec...@Use.Reply-To.Address.invalid (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 16:15:11 +0000
 by: Sn!pe - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 16:15 UTC

Hymermut <tone@email.com> wrote:

[Xmyth cards]

> Apart from those, I have received two cards, and they are from my
> siblings. I have sent out none at all, to anyone. But I do state that
> instead of sending out Christmas cards I have donated the money to the
> Salvation Army Christmas appeal.

When it comes to Mithrastide
It's boodly bloomin' cold outside

AFAIAC that's as good a reason to give to worthy causes as any.

My dear old Dad (self interested, as always) reckoned that the only
charities worth supporting were the Sally Ann and the Lifeboats, on
the grounds that you never know when you might need 'em.

He liked a tipple or two (or three), did my Dad. He was not notably
nautical, thobut. Too risky...

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator
<snipeco.1@gmail.com>

Google to close Usenet gateway; my pet rock Gordon cheered.

Re: Discarded

<slrnuo0tuq.qdd.maus@deb2.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27978&group=uk.rec.sheds#27978

From: mau...@deb2.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 18 Dec 2023 16:48:26 GMT
 by: maus - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 16:48 UTC

On 2023-12-18, Dennis <dennis@stormingwaming.blot> wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Dec 2023 08:48:48 +0000, maus wrote:

>>> I've pretty much given up nowadays, just a couple of aged aunts/uncles
>>> who I send to ...
>>>

>> I got a card this year from someone who I havn't heard of for 20+ years.
>
> Michael Barrymore?

The thin hand, icy skin, and long fingernails appeared, and handed over
the christmas cards. I cringed, but could not resist.

--
greymausg@mail.com
T'was christmaus night in the Workhouse.
It had improved immesurably since they discover that green Herb in the old Store.

Re: Discarded

<slrnuo0u10.qdd.maus@deb2.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27979&group=uk.rec.sheds#27979

From: mau...@deb2.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 18 Dec 2023 16:49:36 GMT
 by: maus - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 16:49 UTC

On 2023-12-18, Nicholas D. Richards <nicholas@salmiron.com> wrote:
> In article <69VfN.401229$xECb.88901@usenetxs.com>, Dennis
><dennis@stormingwaming.blot> on Mon, 18 Dec 2023 at 10:28:18 awoke
> Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote

>>> I got a card this year from someone who I havn't heard of for 20+ years.
>>
>>Michael Barrymore?
>
> As my sister said to my brother, 'Is he still alive?'

It's life, Jim, but not as we know it.

--
greymausg@mail.com
T'was christmaus night in the Workhouse.
It had improved immesurably since they discover that green Herb in the old Store.

Re: Discarded

<slrnuo0u7v.qdd.maus@deb2.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27980&group=uk.rec.sheds#27980

From: mau...@deb2.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 18 Dec 2023 16:53:19 GMT
 by: maus - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 16:53 UTC

On 2023-12-18, Richard Robinson <richard@qualmograph.org.uk> wrote:
> Ahem A Rivet's Shot said:
>> On Mon, 18 Dec 2023 01:33:00 +0000
>> Hymermut <tone@email.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Do other Sheddi eschew this Christmas Card habit?
>>
>> Yes, since long before I kicked the Christmas habit, I came to view
>> them as a parasitic rip off (consider the mark up over a ream of card).
>
> Around here, there are people who sell cards of their own drawings, of
> local scenes.
>
> https://www.finelinesart.co.uk/morecambe-heysham?lightbox=dataItem-kgs24aam
>
> So I ohl a few of of them to keep in touch with the few people that send
> me cards.

Some of them are very good.

--
greymausg@mail.com
T'was christmaus night in the Workhouse.
It had improved immesurably since they discover that green Herb in the old Store.

Re: Discarded

<slrnuo0uj8.qdd.maus@deb2.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27981&group=uk.rec.sheds#27981

From: mau...@deb2.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 18 Dec 2023 16:59:20 GMT
 by: maus - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 16:59 UTC

On 2023-12-18, Sn!pe <snipeco.2@Use.Reply-To.Address.invalid> wrote:
> Hymermut <tone@email.com> wrote:
>
> [Xmyth cards]
> AFAIAC that's as good a reason to give to worthy causes as any.
>
> My dear old Dad (self interested, as always) reckoned that the only
> charities worth supporting were the Sally Ann and the Lifeboats, on
> the grounds that you never know when you might need 'em.
>
> He liked a tipple or two (or three), did my Dad. He was not notably
> nautical, thobut. Too risky...

Those two, I agree with, specially when I hear of helichopters being
launched, etc, etc, but the people are actually saved by the lifeboat.

My faith in other charities was shaken when I heard that the local
charity, here VOIP, is managed by the man who owns the local
moneylenders.

--
greymausg@mail.com
T'was christmaus night in the Workhouse.
It had improved immesurably since they discover that green Herb in the old Store.

Re: Discarded

<JoOdneTkCIuODB34nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27982&group=uk.rec.sheds#27982

Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 18:36:03 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: tease-an...@invalid (Tease'n'Seize)
 by: Tease'n'Se - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 18:36 UTC

Richard Robinson wrote:

> Around here, there are people who sell cards of their own drawings, of
> local scenes.
>
> https://www.finelinesart.co.uk/morecambe-heysham?lightbox=dataItem-kgs24aam

The Brucciani's looks v.similar to one of the same name round here, but
it shut up shop a few years back.

Re: Discarded

<Gq0gN.3421$aRSd.2749@fx02.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27983&group=uk.rec.sheds#27983

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 18:44:55 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 18:44 UTC

On 18-Dec-23 1:33, Hymermut wrote:
> Do other Sheddi eschew this Christmas Card habit? Or am I just a Scrooge?

Not an option in this household.

SWMBO loves getting cards. Each envelope must be examined in forensic
detail since one has guess who each card is from - before opening the
envelope.
I am required to join in this joyful game (if she likes it so much, then
it _must_ be fun, right?).

Once opened, and the guess verified (or reasons for incorrect guess
identified "It certainly didn't look like her handwriting.") the picture
on the front of the card has to be appreciated in full before reading
the salutations & messages inside.

Most of her friends from school or college days include a detailed
(printed) letter giving the family's CV for the past year.

We still send off cards to distant (in both senses) people who were in
uncertain health a decade back, and may either be no longer extant or
have moved away from the address we have for them. Not getting cards
from them is no excuse for dropping them from our list.

And a Merry Christmas to all (any?) of my readers!

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Discarded

<MPG.3feaad741cd30e889896d2@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27984&group=uk.rec.sheds#27984

From: jim...@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim the Geordie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 19:27:21 -0000
 by: Jim the Geordie - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 19:27 UTC

In article <Gq0gN.3421$aRSd.2749@fx02.ams1>, not@home.com says...

> On 18-Dec-23 1:33, Hymermut wrote:
> > Do other Sheddi eschew this Christmas Card habit? Or am I just a Scrooge?
>
> Not an option in this household.
>
> SWMBO loves getting cards. Each envelope must be examined in forensic
> detail since one has guess who each card is from - before opening the
> envelope.
> I am required to join in this joyful game (if she likes it so much, then
> it _must_ be fun, right?).
>
> Once opened, and the guess verified (or reasons for incorrect guess
> identified "It certainly didn't look like her handwriting.") the picture
> on the front of the card has to be appreciated in full before reading
> the salutations & messages inside.
>
> Most of her friends from school or college days include a detailed
> (printed) letter giving the family's CV for the past year.
>
> We still send off cards to distant (in both senses) people who were in
> uncertain health a decade back, and may either be no longer extant or
> have moved away from the address we have for them. Not getting cards
> from them is no excuse for dropping them from our list.
>
> And a Merry Christmas to all (any?) of my readers!

Something similar going on here. The card, in many cases, is the only
point of contact with collegues from many years ago and whose email
address/Facebook we have never had. The only script in several is "Hope
you are both well" (Meaning "not dead").
Of course not receiving a card may mean that they claim have become born
again charity contributers or they are dead and haven't told us.
The last person who sent one of those letters telling us how wonderfully
well their children are doing seems to have come to their senses at
last.
In the greater scheme of excess Christmas spending, a few or even lots
of cards to tell the world you are still alive seems fine, especially
when you get a card from someone you crossed off your list as they
didn't send one last year and have to rapidly send one before the last
post, which is better than sending one to them claiming that you were
late catching the last post. Pretending to be dead seems a better
answer.

--
Jim the Geordie

Re: Discarded

<ulq6js$3l057$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27985&group=uk.rec.sheds#27985

From: rich...@qualmograph.org.uk (Richard Robinson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 19:30:04 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Richard Robinson - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 19:30 UTC

Jim the Geordie said:
> In article <Gq0gN.3421$aRSd.2749@fx02.ams1>, not@home.com says...
>>
>> On 18-Dec-23 1:33, Hymermut wrote:
>> > Do other Sheddi eschew this Christmas Card habit? Or am I just a Scrooge?
>>
>> Not an option in this household.
>>
>> SWMBO loves getting cards. Each envelope must be examined in forensic
>> detail since one has guess who each card is from - before opening the
>> envelope.
>> I am required to join in this joyful game (if she likes it so much, then
>> it _must_ be fun, right?).
>>
>> Once opened, and the guess verified (or reasons for incorrect guess
>> identified "It certainly didn't look like her handwriting.") the picture
>> on the front of the card has to be appreciated in full before reading
>> the salutations & messages inside.
>>
>> Most of her friends from school or college days include a detailed
>> (printed) letter giving the family's CV for the past year.
>>
>> We still send off cards to distant (in both senses) people who were in
>> uncertain health a decade back, and may either be no longer extant or
>> have moved away from the address we have for them. Not getting cards
>> from them is no excuse for dropping them from our list.
>>
>> And a Merry Christmas to all (any?) of my readers!
>
> Something similar going on here. The card, in many cases, is the only
> point of contact with collegues from many years ago and whose email
> address/Facebook we have never had. The only script in several is "Hope
> you are both well" (Meaning "not dead").
> Of course not receiving a card may mean that they claim have become born
> again charity contributers or they are dead and haven't told us.
> The last person who sent one of those letters telling us how wonderfully
> well their children are doing seems to have come to their senses at
> last.
> In the greater scheme of excess Christmas spending, a few or even lots
> of cards to tell the world you are still alive seems fine, especially
> when you get a card from someone you crossed off your list as they
> didn't send one last year and have to rapidly send one before the last
> post, which is better than sending one to them claiming that you were
> late catching the last post. Pretending to be dead seems a better
> answer.

If you can find a blank card, write Happy New Year and send it when
christmas is finished.

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: Discarded

<ulqkq4$3nema$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27986&group=uk.rec.sheds#27986

From: ton...@email.com (Hymermut)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 23:32:19 +0000
 by: Hymermut - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 23:32 UTC

On 18/12/2023 19:30, Richard Robinson wrote:
> If you can find a blank card, write Happy New Year and send it when
> christmas is finished.

Many megafortnight ago my brother and I exchanged the same card for
about four years. It had Christmas - crossed out - birthday - birthday -
crossed out - Christmas - crossed out - birthday - birthday - crossed
out - etc. etc. until it became so dog-eared that somebody, probably his
wife who has no sense of humour, threw it away.

Tone

Re: Discarded

<ulvgqh$mipm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28009&group=uk.rec.sheds#28009

From: rich...@qualmograph.org.uk (Richard Robinson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2023 19:54:57 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Richard Robinson - Wed, 20 Dec 2023 19:54 UTC

Tease'n'Seize said:
> Richard Robinson wrote:
>
>> Around here, there are people who sell cards of their own drawings, of
>> local scenes.
>>
>> https://www.finelinesart.co.uk/morecambe-heysham?lightbox=dataItem-kgs24aam
>
> The Brucciani's looks v.similar to one of the same name round here, but
> it shut up shop a few years back.

Art Deco ice cream ?

It looks like a chain-or-something.

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: Discarded

<unr55f$3e73l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28514&group=uk.rec.sheds#28514

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 10:43:57 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 10:43 UTC

No what is the point of cards? Somebody somewhere thought it a good money
making scheme. Its similar with decorations. Being blind these days both are
just a hassle too far. I do donate to charities, but I'd be interested to
know quite how they run without some kind of CEO and fund raiser who needs
to be paid. Even the small ones cannot exist on nothing as room rentals for
meetings and the like are going up almost weekly, indeed the local Quakers
centre which used to be cheap charges the going rate these days as they need
to make enough money to pay for rates and services and one supposes is still
paying back on the new build.
Brian

--

--: