"Indecision is the basis of flexibility" -- button at a Science Fiction convention.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Driver ordered to pay over £1,000 and gets 6 penalty points after overtaking cyclist

SubjectAuthor
* Driver ordered to pay over £1,000 and gets 6 penaltswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Driver ordered to pay over £1,000 and gets 6JNugent
`* Re: Driver ordered to pay over £1,000 and gets 6 peswldx...@gmail.com
 +- Re: Driver ordered to pay overSpike
 `- Re: Driver ordered to pay over £1,000 and gets 6 peswldx...@gmail.com

1
Driver ordered to pay over £1,000 and gets 6 penalty points after overtaking cyclist

<f3e1141d-0ef9-4abf-85f9-11e7386df0acn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28531&group=uk.rec.cycling#28531

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 08:09:10 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Driver_ordered_to_pay_over_£1,000_and_gets_6_penalt
y_points_after_overtaking_cyclist
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 15:09 UTC

The driver of a Mitsubishi Warrior truck has been hit with six penalty points and ordered to pay more than £1,000 after overtaking a cyclist on a country lane. Police released stills of the incident today and said the driver had appeared before Magistrates.

The frightening pass took place just as a red car was approaching in the opposite direction, but rather than wait the motorist behind the wheel of the large Mitsubishi decided to carry out the manoeuvre anyway. Following the incident, the registered vehicle keeper has been fined £660 and must pay costs and a victim surcharge after being found guilty at Taunton Magistrates Court earlier this month.

Avon and Somerset Police’s Roads Policing Unit tweeted: “This driver was reported for Without Due Care but the registered keeper (RK) failed to respond & was reported for Failing to Supply Driver Details.

“RK [registered keeper] then entered a Not Guilty Plea but found guilty at Trial 5/7/2023 Taunton Magistrates. £660 Fine, 6 points, £620 Costs, £66 VS [victim surcharge].”

Changes to the Highway Code intended to create a safer travel experience for all road-users were brought in last year. This has been done by creating a new ‘road hierarchy’, placing pedestrians at the top, followed by cyclists and then by cars, who can cause the most damage in collision situations.

Under the new code, drivers are allowed to overtake cyclists but need to give them plenty of space while doing so, and can now be fined for passing too close. Rule 139 of the Highway Code states “give cyclists at least as much room as you would a car when overtaking”. Rule 163 states “As a guide, leave at least 1.5 metres when overtaking cyclists at speeds of up to 30mph, and give them more space when overtaking at higher speeds.”

If motorists don’t obey this rule, they are guilty of ‘careless driving’ and will be liable for 6 penalty points and a fine of £100 under section 3 of the Road Traffic Act 1988. If taken to court, drivers can receive up to 9 penalty points of between 15 and 50% of their weekly income, or even a discretionary disqualification from driving.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/driver-ordered-pay-over-1000-27347037

Re: Driver ordered to pay over £1,000 and gets 6 penalty points after overtaking chav on a bike

<khpu57FshpbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28564&group=uk.rec.cycling#28564

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re:_Driver_ordered_to_pay_over_£1,000_and_gets_6
_penalty_points_after_overtaking_chav_on_a_bike
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2023 12:01:58 +0100
 by: JNugent - Wed, 19 Jul 2023 11:01 UTC

> The driver of a Mitsubishi Warrior truck has been hit with six penalty points and ordered to pay more than £1,000 after overtaking a cyclist on a country lane.

That is a LIE. See below for why.

> Police released stills of the incident today and said the driver had appeared before Magistrates.

That is a LIE. See below for why.

> The frightening pass took place just as a red car was approaching in the opposite direction, but rather than wait the motorist behind the wheel of the large Mitsubishi decided to carry out the manoeuvre anyway. Following the incident, the registered vehicle keeper has been fined £660 and must pay costs and a victim surcharge after being found guilty at Taunton Magistrates Court earlier this month.
> Avon and Somerset Police’s Roads Policing Unit tweeted: “This driver was reported for Without Due Care but the registered keeper (RK) failed to respond & was reported for Failing to Supply Driver Details.
> “RK [registered keeper] then entered a Not Guilty Plea but found guilty at Trial 5/7/2023 Taunton Magistrates. £660 Fine, 6 points, £620 Costs, £66 VS [victim surcharge].”
> Changes to the Highway Code intended to create a safer travel experience for all road-users were brought in last year. This has been done by creating a new ‘road hierarchy’, placing pedestrians at the top, followed by cyclists and then by cars, who can cause the most damage in collision situations.
> Under the new code, drivers are allowed to overtake cyclists but need to give them plenty of space while doing so, and can now be fined for passing too close. Rule 139 of the Highway Code states “give cyclists at least as much room as you would a car when overtaking”. Rule 163 states “As a guide, leave at least 1.5 metres when overtaking cyclists at speeds of up to 30mph, and give them more space when overtaking at higher speeds.”
> If motorists don’t obey this rule, they are guilty of ‘careless driving’ and will be liable for 6 penalty points and a fine of £100 under section 3 of the Road Traffic Act 1988. If taken to court, drivers can receive up to 9 penalty points of between 15 and 50% of their weekly income, or even a discretionary disqualification from driving.

It was the registered keeper who was the victim here. The authorities
don't know who the driver was. The RK was victimised for not feeling
able to grass up a friend or relative.

And May Sun is even more clueless than the authorities are in this matter.

> https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/driver-ordered-pay-over-1000-27347037

Why are goings-on in Somerset of interest to ghouls in Wales?

Re: Driver ordered to pay over £1,000 and gets 6 penalty points after overtaking cyclist

<e6296e52-6f03-4e23-bff3-b197a5052d74n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28566&group=uk.rec.cycling#28566

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2023 05:35:01 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re:_Driver_ordered_to_pay_over_£1,000_and_gets_6_pe
nalty_points_after_overtaking_cyclist
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 19 Jul 2023 12:35 UTC

This driver was reported for Without Due Care but the registered keeper (RK) failed to respond & was reported for Failing to Supply Driver Details.
RK then entered a Not Guilty Plea but found guilty at Trial 5/7/2023 Taunton Magistrates

£660 Fine
6 points
£620 Costs
£66 VS

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F1TtmY1XgAA6ZsE?format=jpg&name=900x900

Re: Driver ordered to pay over £1,000 and gets 6 pe nalty points after overtaking cyclist

<khq989Fu951U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28570&group=uk.rec.cycling#28570

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Driver ordered to pay over
Date: 19 Jul 2023 14:11:21 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 19 Jul 2023 14:11 UTC

> This driver was reported for Without Due Care but the registered keeper
> (RK) failed to respond & was reported for Failing to Supply Driver Details.
> RK then entered a Not Guilty Plea but found guilty at Trial 5/7/2023 Taunton Magistrates
>
> £660 Fine
> 6 points
> £620 Costs
> £66 VS
>
> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F1TtmY1XgAA6ZsE?format=jpg&name=900x900

What’s that got to do with the RK?

--
Spike

Re: Driver ordered to pay over £1,000 and gets 6 penalty points after overtaking cyclist

<eaa9ba3a-baa6-484f-b16f-57e538748f97n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28572&group=uk.rec.cycling#28572

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2023 08:27:43 -0700 (PDT)
nalty_points_after_overtaking_cyclist
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 19 Jul 2023 15:27 UTC

On Wednesday, July 19, 2023 at 1:35:03 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> This driver was reported for Without Due Care but the registered keeper (RK) failed to respond & was reported for Failing to Supply Driver Details.
> RK then entered a Not Guilty Plea but found guilty at Trial 5/7/2023 Taunton Magistrates
>
> £660 Fine
> 6 points
> £620 Costs
> £66 VS
>
> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F1TtmY1XgAA6ZsE?format=jpg&name=900x900

Gary1966
@50046Gary
·
Jul 18
I love these entitled pricks who think they'll get away with it by not naming the driver!🤣
Excellent result.