From: timdowni...@yahoo.co.youkay (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Tuckered out…
Date: 23 Dec 2023 18:58:33 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 18:58 UTC

The Bow’n’arra people isn’t really my cup of char but sad news.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67812307

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Tuckered out.

<unr6u9$3ef7f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28524&group=uk.rec.sheds#28524

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: Tuckered out.
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 11:14:14 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 11:14 UTC

I have not listened to the Archers for years. My one recollection was when I
was a child we went and stayed in bed and breakfast places on holiday, and
one in Cornwall had a radio in the breakfast room, always tuned to the Home
service. It was valve and sounded very boxy and crackly as its aerial was a
bit or wire shoved in the cardboard back socket that draped over some
picture hooks on a wall.
I remember the old Walter Gabriel and his very unlikely voice basically
giving a lot of stuff that was discussed by the cast, obviously planted
there by the min of ag and fish about better farming methods etc. It was
basically propaganda.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Tim+" <timdownieuk@yahoo.co.youkay> wrote in message
> The Bow'n'arra people isn't really my cup of char but sad news.
>
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67812307
>
> Tim
>

> --
> Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Tuckered out.

<l0d17cF8rlnU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28561&group=uk.rec.sheds#28561

From: chri...@privacy.net (chrisnd@privacy.net)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 14:38:36 +0000
 by: chrisnd@privacy.net - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 14:38 UTC

On 12/01/2024 11:14, Brian Gaff wrote:
> I have not listened to the Archers for years. My one recollection was when I
> was a child we went and stayed in bed and breakfast places on holiday, and
> one in Cornwall had a radio in the breakfast room, always tuned to the Home
> service. It was valve and sounded very boxy and crackly as its aerial was a
> bit or wire shoved in the cardboard back socket that draped over some
> picture hooks on a wall.
> I remember the old Walter Gabriel and his very unlikely voice basically
> giving a lot of stuff that was discussed by the cast, obviously planted
> there by the min of ag and fish about better farming methods etc. It was
> basically propaganda.

And much valued by the farming community!
Yes, really!

You mean they don't do that anymore?
I thought that was the whole reason soaps existed?

Chris

Re: Tuckered out.

<unrqgi$3hc7h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28567&group=uk.rec.sheds#28567

From: ton...@email.com (Hymermut)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 16:48:18 +0000
 by: Hymermut - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 16:48 UTC

On 12/01/2024 14:38, chrisnd@privacy.net wrote:
> On 12/01/2024 11:14, Brian Gaff wrote:
>> I have not listened to the Archers for years. My one recollection was
>> when I
>> was a child we went and stayed in bed and breakfast places on holiday,
>> and
>> one in Cornwall had a radio in the breakfast room, always tuned to the
>> service. It was valve and sounded very boxy and crackly as its aerial
>> was a
>> bit or wire shoved in the cardboard back socket that draped over some
>> picture hooks on a wall.
>>   I remember the old Walter Gabriel and his very unlikely voice basically
>> giving a lot of stuff that was discussed by the cast, obviously planted
>> there by the min of ag and fish about better farming methods etc. It was
>> basically propaganda.
>
> And much valued by the farming community!
> Yes, really!
>
> You mean they don't do that anymore?
> I thought that was the whole reason soaps existed?
>
> Chris

When I was in one of our bands we used to practise at a member's house
in a small Hertfordshire village. The Sunday practice session would be
proceeded by a session in the village pub.

I sat overhearing the village gossip. I remarked that the village seemed
rife with adultery, scandal and controversy.

"You plonker!" I was told. "They're discussing the omnibus edition of
the Archers!"

Tone

Re: Tuckered out.

<ctgoN.243108$p%Mb.90998@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28576&group=uk.rec.sheds#28576

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 19:32:24 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 19:32 UTC

On 12-Jan-24 14:38, chrisnd@privacy.net wrote:
> On 12/01/2024 11:14, Brian Gaff wrote:
>> I have not listened to the Archers for years. My one recollection was
>> when I
>> was a child we went and stayed in bed and breakfast places on holiday,
>> and
>> one in Cornwall had a radio in the breakfast room, always tuned to the
>> service. It was valve and sounded very boxy and crackly as its aerial
>> was a
>> bit or wire shoved in the cardboard back socket that draped over some
>> picture hooks on a wall.
>>   I remember the old Walter Gabriel and his very unlikely voice basically
>> giving a lot of stuff that was discussed by the cast, obviously planted
>> there by the min of ag and fish about better farming methods etc. It was
>> basically propaganda.
>
> And much valued by the farming community!
> Yes, really!
>
> You mean they don't do that anymore?
> I thought that was the whole reason soaps existed?

I think they still have an agricultural advisor on call - but I don't
think they call him very often.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Tuckered out.

<slrnuq3db0.1hao.maus@deb2.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28585&group=uk.rec.sheds#28585

From: mau...@deb2.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 12 Jan 2024 21:55:44 GMT
 by: maus - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 21:55 UTC

On 2024-01-12, Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have not listened to the Archers for years. My one recollection was when I
> was a child we went and stayed in bed and breakfast places on holiday, and
> one in Cornwall had a radio in the breakfast room, always tuned to the Home
> service. It was valve and sounded very boxy and crackly as its aerial was a
> bit or wire shoved in the cardboard back socket that draped over some
> picture hooks on a wall.
> I remember the old Walter Gabriel and his very unlikely voice basically
> giving a lot of stuff that was discussed by the cast,

I remember that being satirised on "Round The Horne", a voice like his
would say, in a very country accent, "The Answer is in the soil. Good
old English Muck."

--
greymausg@mail.com
Is There not even an .Influencer to impale?

Re: Tuckered out.

<1qn8sdj.1wbgi931lwubpyN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28586&group=uk.rec.sheds#28586

From: snipec...@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 22:43:08 +0000
iZ4vFDG
 by: Sn!pe - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 22:43 UTC

maus <maus@deb2.org> wrote:

> On 2024-01-12, Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have not listened to the Archers for years. My one recollection was when I
> > was a child we went and stayed in bed and breakfast places on holiday, and
> > one in Cornwall had a radio in the breakfast room, always tuned to the Home
> > service. It was valve and sounded very boxy and crackly as its aerial was a
> > bit or wire shoved in the cardboard back socket that draped over some
> > picture hooks on a wall.
> > I remember the old Walter Gabriel and his very unlikely voice basically
> > giving a lot of stuff that was discussed by the cast,
>

> I remember that being satirised on "Round The Horne", a voice like his
> would say, in a very country accent, "The Answer is in the soil. Good
> old English Muck."

[...]

Rambling Syd Rumpo aka Kenneth Williams.

"Oi make no bones about it, I'm looking for love."

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator

My pet rock Gordon just is.

Re: Tuckered out.

<l0fjekFnk6cU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28610&group=uk.rec.sheds#28610

From: chri...@privacy.net (chrisnd@privacy.net)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 14:01:56 +0000
 by: chrisnd@privacy.net - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 14:01 UTC

On 12/01/2024 22:43, Sn!pe wrote:
> maus <maus@deb2.org> wrote:
>
>> On 2024-01-12, Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I have not listened to the Archers for years. My one recollection was when I
>>> was a child we went and stayed in bed and breakfast places on holiday, and
>>> one in Cornwall had a radio in the breakfast room, always tuned to the Home
>>> service. It was valve and sounded very boxy and crackly as its aerial was a
>>> bit or wire shoved in the cardboard back socket that draped over some
>>> picture hooks on a wall.
>>> I remember the old Walter Gabriel and his very unlikely voice basically
>>> giving a lot of stuff that was discussed by the cast,
>>

>> I remember that being satirised on "Round The Horne", a voice like his
>> would say, in a very country accent, "The Answer is in the soil. Good
>> old English Muck."
>
> [...]
>
> Rambling Syd Rumpo aka Kenneth Williams.
>
> "Oi make no bones about it, I'm looking for love."

Ah Yes, Happy memories :-)

Chris