"How to make a million dollars: First, get a million dollars." -- Steve Martin

aus+uk / uk.sport.cricket / Finally a nail-biter

SubjectAuthor
* Finally a nail-biterJohn Hall
+* Re: Finally a nail-biterFBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
|`* Re: Finally a nail-biterDavid North
| `- Re: Finally a nail-biterFBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
`- Re: Finally a nail-bitermike

1
Finally a nail-biter

<jUTetrBm9+OlFwby@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28611&group=uk.sport.cricket#28611

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: Finally a nail-biter
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 18:12:06 +0100
 by: John Hall - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 17:12 UTC

SA beat Pakistan by 1 wicket. Sadly I didn't watch what must have been a
very exciting climax, as it had looked as though SA were sure to win and
so I opted for "Pointless" instead.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people

Re: Finally a nail-biter

<uhh09r$2df9v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28612&group=uk.sport.cricket#28612

From: FBInCIAn...@america.com (FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: Re: Finally a nail-biter
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 11:42:03 -0700
 by: FBInCIAnNSATerrorist - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 18:42 UTC

On 10/27/2023 10:12 AM, John Hall wrote:
> SA beat Pakistan by 1 wicket. Sadly I didn't watch what must have been a
> very exciting climax, as it had looked as though SA were sure to win and
> so I opted for "Pointless" instead.

Yeah, SA was in great shape until Markram went for a heroic SIX instead
of just getting singles and twos and finish the game with 21 required of
60 balls.

Pakistan is out of World Cup after losing the game.

If the umpire gave this LBW out, Pakis would have won and still been in
contention for the Semis. Thankfully the umpire gave it NOT OUT which
turned out to be UMPIRES CALL.

Pak already got a trifle lucky with Van Der Dussen's barely touching
stump LBW umpires call.

45.6 Haris Rauf to Shamsi, no run

Huge appeal for an lbw and the umpire doesn't raise the dreaded finger!
Babar Azam agrees to send it upstairs which is no surprise. All-right so
it pitched on a length and rapped him on the front foot, big gap between
bat and pad. Ball tracking coming up, impact in line, pitching outside
off and just brushing leg stump so the on-field decision stands and
Haris Rauf cannot believe it but boy, you got to applaud that effort!
That missed by the barest of the margins really! Drama continues!

Re: Finally a nail-biter

<kq489cFed29U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28621&group=uk.sport.cricket#28621

From: nos...@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 12:06:20 +0100
 by: David North - Sat, 28 Oct 2023 11:06 UTC

On 27/10/2023 19:42, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer wrote:
> On 10/27/2023 10:12 AM, John Hall wrote:
>> SA beat Pakistan by 1 wicket. Sadly I didn't watch what must have been
>> a very exciting climax,

Yes, I caught the last few overs on TMS. It was a bit like the end of a
close Test, with overs not really coming into it, although the bowling
restrictions did.

>> as it had looked as though SA were sure to win
>> and so I opted for "Pointless" instead.
>

> Yeah, SA was in great shape until Markram went for a heroic SIX instead
> of just getting singles and twos and finish the game with 21 required of
> 60 balls.
>
> Pakistan is out of World Cup after losing the game.
>
> If the umpire gave this LBW out, Pakis would have won and still been in
> contention for the Semis. Thankfully the umpire gave it NOT OUT which
> turned out to be UMPIRES CALL.
>
> Pak already got a trifle lucky with Van Der Dussen's barely touching
> stump LBW umpires call.
>

> 45.6 Haris Rauf to Shamsi, no run
>
> Huge appeal for an lbw and the umpire doesn't raise the dreaded finger!
> Babar Azam agrees to send it upstairs which is no surprise. All-right so
> it pitched on a length and rapped him on the front foot, big gap between
> bat and pad. Ball tracking coming up, impact in line, pitching outside
> off and just brushing leg stump so the on-field decision stands and
> Haris Rauf cannot believe it but boy, you got to applaud that effort!
> That missed by the barest of the margins really! Drama continues!

So it missed by the barest of the margins even though it was just
brushing leg stump? Actually it was rather more than just brushing.
Presumably the commentator meant that it missed being out.

--
David North

Re: Finally a nail-biter

<3a3bfc71-1aeb-4cbc-95e1-db78692c3260@america.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28622&group=uk.sport.cricket#28622

From: FBInCIAn...@america.com (FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 04:19:37 -0700
 by: FBInCIAnNSATerrorist - Sat, 28 Oct 2023 11:19 UTC

On 10/28/2023 4:06 AM, David North wrote:
> On 27/10/2023 19:42, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer wrote:
>> On 10/27/2023 10:12 AM, John Hall wrote:
>>> SA beat Pakistan by 1 wicket. Sadly I didn't watch what must have
>>> been a very exciting climax,
>
> Yes, I caught the last few overs on TMS. It was a bit like the end of a
> close Test, with overs not really coming into it, although the bowling
> restrictions did.
>
>>> as it had looked as though SA were sure to win and so I opted for
>>> "Pointless" instead.
>>

>> Yeah, SA was in great shape until Markram went for a heroic SIX
>> instead of just getting singles and twos and finish the game with 21
>> required of 60 balls.
>>
>> Pakistan is out of World Cup after losing the game.
>>
>> If the umpire gave this LBW out, Pakis would have won and still been
>> in contention for the Semis. Thankfully the umpire gave it NOT OUT
>> which turned out to be UMPIRES CALL.
>>
>> Pak already got a trifle lucky with Van Der Dussen's barely touching
>> stump LBW umpires call.
>>

>> 45.6 Haris Rauf to Shamsi, no run
>>
>> Huge appeal for an lbw and the umpire doesn't raise the dreaded
>> finger! Babar Azam agrees to send it upstairs which is no surprise.
>> All-right so it pitched on a length and rapped him on the front foot,
>> big gap between bat and pad. Ball tracking coming up, impact in line,
>> pitching outside off and just brushing leg stump so the on-field
>> decision stands and Haris Rauf cannot believe it but boy, you got to
>> applaud that effort! That missed by the barest of the margins really!
>> Drama continues!
>
> So it missed by the barest of the margins even though it was just
> brushing leg stump? Actually it was rather more than just brushing.
> Presumably the commentator meant that it missed being out.

Yep, that's what the commentator meant.

Missed being out by the barest of margins.

If the Umpired declared it out LBW like it happens sometimes, SA would
have obviously reviewed it but it would have stayed out on UMPIRES CALL
and Pakis would have still been in contention for a semifinal spot.

Re: Finally a nail-biter

<2da54698-6a08-4b1d-be09-05f8e32ae041n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28624&group=uk.sport.cricket#28624

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 06:58:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Sat, 28 Oct 2023 13:58 UTC

On Friday, October 27, 2023 at 6:20:28 PM UTC+1, John Hall wrote:
> SA beat Pakistan by 1 wicket. Sadly I didn't watch what must have been a
> very exciting climax, as it had looked as though SA were sure to win and
> so I opted for "Pointless" instead.
> --

And another 1. Oz really upping their game now, and Head back with a bang!

My prediction of Oz vs India final looking more likely now.

mike