Chemistry is applied theology. -- Augustus Stanley Owsley III

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Sheffield shines on glorious evening of Grand Prix bike racing on traffic-free roads

SubjectAuthor
* Sheffield shines on glorious evening of Grand Prix bike racing onswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Sheffield shines on glorious evening of Grand Prix chav-bikeJNugent
+* Re: Sheffield shines on glorious evening of Grand Prix bike racing onswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Sheffield shines on glorious evening of Grand Prix bike racing onswldx...@gmail.com
`- Re: Sheffield shines on glorious evening of Grand Prix bikeSpike

1
Sheffield shines on glorious evening of Grand Prix bike racing on traffic-free roads

<3439ab30-c24d-4c8a-9fa4-b165c58a2b93n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28677&group=uk.rec.cycling#28677

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2023 10:52:34 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Sheffield shines on glorious evening of Grand Prix bike racing on
traffic-free roads
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 23 Jul 2023 17:52 UTC

Scores of cyclists enjoyed traffic-free roads on a glorious summer evening of racing in Sheffield.

Youngsters, adults and pros came from all over the country to compete in the Sheffield Grand Prix on a half-mile course which featured tight bends and cobbles around the Town Hall.

But it wasn’t just about the racing - a ‘rock up and ride’ session saw people on mountain, city and cargo bikes sample the course, led by Ed Clancy, three-time Olympic cycling champion and now South Yorkshire’s Active Travel Commissioner.

The prestigious event also saw thousands of spectators and supporters pack the city centre to watch bike racing at its best. They were served by an array of food and drink vendors, while sponsors showed off their wares including McLaren - which has a factory in Rotherham - with a £200,000 supercar.

Some First Buses on Charter Row had to back up after being caught out by the road closures. Online, some complained about the inconvenience.

But Ed Clancy said active travel was “all about enabling freedom and trying to give people an alternative.”

He told The Star: “My ambition is not to make life difficult for everyone. Big picture, I think everyone agrees on the benefits of active travel in terms of health, mental health, life expectancy and reducing the burden on the NHS.”

Ed, who is from Barnsley, said leading the ‘community ride’ in his home city of Sheffield was “very special.”

The half-mile course featured tight bends and cobbles and took competitors past the Town Hall, down Surrey and Norfolk streets on to Arundel Gate before turning up Furnival Gate and back to the start on Union Street.

The Grand Prix is now in its ninth year and is part of the British Cycling National Circuit Race Series.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/politics/council/sheffield-shines-on-glorious-evening-of-city-centre-bike-racing-on-traffic-free-roads-4225233

Re: Sheffield shines on glorious evening of Grand Prix chav-bike racing on traffic-free roads

<ki5clhFnj9tU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28678&group=uk.rec.cycling#28678

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Sheffield shines on glorious evening of Grand Prix chav-bike
racing on traffic-free roads
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2023 20:17:06 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sun, 23 Jul 2023 19:17 UTC

> Scores of chavs on bikes enjoyed traffic-free roads on a glorious summer evening of racing in Sheffield.
> Youngsters, adults and pros came from all over the country to compete in the Sheffield Grand Prix on a half-mile course which featured tight bends and cobbles around the Town Hall.
> But it wasn’t just about the racing - a ‘rock up and ride’ session saw people on mountain, city and cargo chav-bikes sample the course, led by Ed Clancy, three-time Olympic chav-cycling champion and now South Yorkshire’s Active Travel Commissioner.
> The prestigious event also saw thousands of spectators and supporters pack the city centre to watch fairy-bike racing at its "best" [sic]. They were served by an array of food and drink vendors, while sponsors showed off their wares including McLaren - which has a factory in Rotherham - with a £200,000 supercar.
> Some First Buses on Charter Row had to back up after being caught out by the road closures. Online, some complained about the inconvenience.
> But Ed Clancy said active travel was “all about enabling freedom and trying to give people an alternative.”

"Giving people an alternative" is effected by taking away their choices,
is it?

Is he as thick as you?

He certainly sounds it, doesn't he?

> He told The Star: “My ambition is not to make life difficult for everyone.

So why do it? It couldn't be because he's lying, could it?

> Big picture, I think everyone agrees on the benefits of active travel in terms of health, mental health, life expectancy and reducing the burden on the NHS.”
> Ed, who is from Barnsley, said leading the ‘community ride’ in his home city of Sheffield was “very special.”
> The half-mile course featured tight bends and cobbles and took competitors past the Town Hall, down Surrey and Norfolk streets on to Arundel Gate before turning up Furnival Gate and back to the start on Union Street.
> The Grand Prix is now in its ninth year and is part of the British Cycling National Circuit Race Series.
>
> https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/politics/council/sheffield-shines-on-glorious-evening-of-city-centre-bike-racing-on-traffic-free-roads-4225233

Re: Sheffield shines on glorious evening of Grand Prix bike racing on traffic-free roads

<b05e26c0-9e07-4d24-a5a2-454512ea2ac6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28680&group=uk.rec.cycling#28680

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2023 12:43:17 -0700 (PDT)
traffic-free roads
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 23 Jul 2023 19:43 UTC

QUOTE: Some First Buses on Charter Row had to back up after being caught out by the road closures. Online, some complained about the inconvenience. ENDS

"Caught out by the road closures"?
Wasn't a year's notice long enough for these morons?
Don't go to London on marathon day or you'll be "imprisoned" with all the other thick NIMBYs.

Re: Sheffield shines on glorious evening of Grand Prix bike racing on traffic-free roads

<ki5igoFog51U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28683&group=uk.rec.cycling#28683

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Sheffield shines on glorious evening of Grand Prix bike
racing on traffic-free roads
Date: 23 Jul 2023 20:56:56 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 23 Jul 2023 20:56 UTC

> But Ed Clancy said active travel was “all about enabling freedom and
> trying to give people an alternative.”

> He told The Star: “My ambition is not to make life difficult for
> everyone. Big picture, I think everyone agrees on the benefits of active
> travel in terms of health, mental health, life expectancy and reducing
> the burden on the NHS.”

An interesting list of the claimed health benefits of cycling, but where is
the data to back it up?

Dutch death rates from the major diseases are the same as the UK.

It’s the same as the claimed benefits of London’s ULEZ, no-one is quoting
the before and after numbers, for some strange reason, yet we are told what
a roaring success it’s been.

--
Spike

Re: Sheffield shines on glorious evening of Grand Prix bike racing on traffic-free roads

<996c28de-a9b4-41ed-aa05-67acb5ffa1bcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28685&group=uk.rec.cycling#28685

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2023 14:04:59 -0700 (PDT)
traffic-free roads
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 23 Jul 2023 21:04 UTC

On Sunday, July 23, 2023 at 8:43:19 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> QUOTE: Some First Buses on Charter Row had to back up after being caught out by the road closures. Online, some complained about the inconvenience. ENDS
>
> "Caught out by the road closures"?
> Wasn't a year's notice long enough for these morons?
> Don't go to London on marathon day or you'll be "imprisoned" with all the other thick NIMBYs.

WARNING WARNING WARNING

TCS London Marathon coordinators have advised residents who normally park their car on affected roads to move it the evening before marathon day. Remaining cars will be removed by event contractors from 6am on the day of the race.