You are in the hall of the mountain king.

aus+uk / uk.sport.cricket / Re: Anybody know the RULE if two teams are TIED in group stages WC2023

SubjectAuthor
* Anybody know the RULE if two teams are TIED in group stages WC2023FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
`* Re: Anybody know the RULE if two teams are TIED in group stages WC2023John Hall
 +* Re: Anybody know the RULE if two teams are TIED in group stagesDavid North
 |+* Re: Anybody know the RULE if two teams are TIED in group stagesFBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
 ||`* Re: Anybody know the RULE if two teams are TIED in group stagesDavid North
 || +* Re: Anybody know the RULE if two teams are TIED in group stagesFBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
 || |`* Re: Anybody know the RULE if two teams are TIED in group stagesDavid North
 || | `* Re: Anybody know the RULE if two teams are TIED in group stagesFBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
 || |  `* Re: Anybody know the RULE if two teams are TIED in group stagesDavid North
 || |   `* Re: Anybody know the RULE if two teams are TIED in group stages WC2023max.it
 || |    `- Re: Anybody know the RULE if two teams are TIED in group stagesFBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
 || `* Re: Anybody know the RULE if two teams are TIED in group stagesFBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
 ||  `* Re: Anybody know the RULE if two teams are TIED in group stagesDavid North
 ||   `* Re: Anybody know the RULE if two teams are TIED in group stagesFBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
 ||    `- Re: Anybody know the RULE if two teams are TIED in group stagesDavid North
 |`* Re: Anybody know the RULE if two teams are TIED in group stages WC2023John Hall
 | `- Re: Anybody know the RULE if two teams are TIED in group stagesDavid North
 `- Re: Anybody know the RULE if two teams are TIED in group stagesFBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer

1
Anybody know the RULE if two teams are TIED in group stages WC2023

<uhtmbn$1l41a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28658&group=uk.sport.cricket#28658

From: FBInCIAn...@america.com (FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: Anybody know the RULE if two teams are TIED in group stages WC2023
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2023 07:12:06 -0700
 by: FBInCIAnNSATerrorist - Wed, 1 Nov 2023 14:12 UTC

Anybody know the RULE if two teams are TIED in group stages WC2023?

Let's say New Zealand and Pakis TIED with 5-4 records.

Does it depend on NRR or who won the heads up match to ADVANCE to the semis?

Re: Anybody know the RULE if two teams are TIED in group stages WC2023

<A$qQDLBU3nQlFw8w@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28659&group=uk.sport.cricket#28659

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2023 16:33:24 +0000
 by: John Hall - Wed, 1 Nov 2023 16:33 UTC

In message <uhtmbn$1l41a$1@dont-email.me>, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
<FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com> writes

>Anybody know the RULE if two teams are TIED in group stages WC2023?
>

>Let's say New Zealand and Pakis TIED with 5-4 records.
>
>Does it depend on NRR or who won the heads up match to ADVANCE to the semis?

I would imagine it must depend on NRR. Otherwise there doesn't seem any
point in keeping track of that statistic.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people

Re: Anybody know the RULE if two teams are TIED in group stages WC2023

<kqgp1oF8qpbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28660&group=uk.sport.cricket#28660

From: nos...@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: Re: Anybody know the RULE if two teams are TIED in group stages
WC2023
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2023 05:05:59 +0000
 by: David North - Thu, 2 Nov 2023 05:05 UTC

On 01/11/2023 16:33, John Hall wrote:
> In message <uhtmbn$1l41a$1@dont-email.me>, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
> <FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com> writes
>>

>> Anybody know the RULE if two teams are TIED in group stages WC2023?
>>

>> Let's say New Zealand and Pakis TIED with 5-4 records.

You told us last Friday that Pakistan was out. ;)

NZ v Pak on Saturday is clearly now a key match.

>> Does it depend on NRR or who won the heads up match to ADVANCE to the
>> semis?
>>

> I would imagine it must depend on NRR. Otherwise there doesn't seem any
> point in keeping track of that statistic.

"16.10.2 League Matches [...]

"In the event of teams finishing on equal points in the league stage,
the ordering of teams will be decided in the following order of priority:

" – The team with the greatest number of wins in the league matches
will be placed in the higher position.

" – If there are teams with equal points and equal wins in the league
matches, then in such case the teams will be ordered according to their
net run rate (NRR) in the league matches (refer to 16.10.5 below for the
calculation of NRR).

" – If two or more teams are still equal, they will be ordered
according to the result of the head-to-head match played between them
(points, then if still equal, NRR in those matches).

" – If the above does not resolve the league ordering, or if all
matches within the league stage produce no results, the teams will be
ordered as per their league seedings."

https://resources.pulse.icc-cricket.com/ICC/document/2023/09/28/d43b480d-033b-4111-bf9c-45f9de69ef9b/ICC-Men-s-CWC23-Playing-Conditions-single-pages.pdf

--
David North

Re: Anybody know the RULE if two teams are TIED in group stages WC2023

<2b923d44-f8a6-47f8-aa05-5e10c5a64eb7@america.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28661&group=uk.sport.cricket#28661

From: FBInCIAn...@america.com (FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
WC2023
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2023 22:36:37 -0700
 by: FBInCIAnNSATerrorist - Thu, 2 Nov 2023 05:36 UTC

On 11/1/2023 9:33 AM, John Hall wrote:
> In message <uhtmbn$1l41a$1@dont-email.me>, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
> <FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com> writes
>>

>> Anybody know the RULE if two teams are TIED in group stages WC2023?
>>

>> Let's say New Zealand and Pakis TIED with 5-4 records.
>>
>> Does it depend on NRR or who won the heads up match to ADVANCE to the
>> semis?
>>

> I would imagine it must depend on NRR. Otherwise there doesn't seem any
> point in keeping track of that statistic.

Yes, it's the NET RUN RATE which counts as per cricinfo.

Heads up winner is irrelevant.

Re: Anybody know the RULE if two teams are TIED in group stages WC2023

<8ff818cf-bc67-4a70-af1a-0ecd16054a63@america.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28662&group=uk.sport.cricket#28662

From: FBInCIAn...@america.com (FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
WC2023
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2023 22:51:14 -0700
 by: FBInCIAnNSATerrorist - Thu, 2 Nov 2023 05:51 UTC

On 11/1/2023 10:05 PM, David North wrote:
> On 01/11/2023 16:33, John Hall wrote:
>> In message <uhtmbn$1l41a$1@dont-email.me>, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
>> <FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com> writes
>>>

>>> Anybody know the RULE if two teams are TIED in group stages WC2023?
>>>

>>> Let's say New Zealand and Pakis TIED with 5-4 records.
>
> You told us last Friday that Pakistan was out. ;)

Yes.

On that day, Pakis odds of making semi finals was EXTREMELY LOW.

Unfortunately NZ lost three games in a row which was very UNLIKELY at
that time.

NZ is riddled with injuries to Lockie, Kane, Henry and now Neesham.

Even now NZ can still make beat the pakis to semis EVEN IF they LOSE to
Pakis in heads up and WIN against Netherlands and MAINTAIN NRR better
than Pakis.

NZ coach and captain should have told their batsmen yesterday in the
first one hour of the CHASE that they already LOST the game to SA, so
lets survive, score runs at a fair clip and KEEP our NRR unassailable
for the Pakis.

BEFORE yesterday's match NZ NRR was +1.20 something and Pakis was -0.024

AFTER the NZ vs SA match, NZ NRR was down to 0.484

So, they SHOULD have PLAYED for the NRR instead of WINNING the match
once they were down to 56/3 at 10.1 overs.

I DON'T think NZ captain and coach KNEW "HOW IMPORTANT" it was yesterday
to MAINTAIN a GOOD NRR to keep the PAKIS away from catching up with them
for the Semis.

> NZ v Pak on Saturday is clearly now a key match.
>
>>> Does it depend on NRR or who won the heads up match to ADVANCE to the
>>> semis?
>>>

>> I would imagine it must depend on NRR. Otherwise there doesn't seem
>> any point in keeping track of that statistic.
>
> "16.10.2 League Matches [...]
>
> "In the event of teams finishing on equal points in the league stage,
> the ordering of teams will be decided in the following order of priority:
>
> "  –  The team with the greatest number of wins in the league matches
> will be placed in the higher position.
>
> "  –  If there are teams with equal points and equal wins in the league
> matches, then in such case the teams will be ordered according to their
> net run rate (NRR) in the league matches (refer to 16.10.5 below for the
> calculation of NRR).
>
> "  –  If two or more teams are still equal, they will be ordered
> according to the result of the head-to-head match played between them
> (points, then if still equal, NRR in those matches).
>
> "  –  If the above does not resolve the league ordering, or if all
> matches within the league stage produce no results, the teams will be
> ordered as per their league seedings."
>
> https://resources.pulse.icc-cricket.com/ICC/document/2023/09/28/d43b480d-033b-4111-bf9c-45f9de69ef9b/ICC-Men-s-CWC23-Playing-Conditions-single-pages.pdf

Re: Anybody know the RULE if two teams are TIED in group stages WC2023

<sfmbLgAnB3QlFw7C@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28664&group=uk.sport.cricket#28664

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2023 09:48:23 +0000
 by: John Hall - Thu, 2 Nov 2023 09:48 UTC

In message <kqgp1oF8qpbU1@mid.individual.net>, David North
<nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk> writes
<snip>
>" – If the above does not resolve the league ordering, or if all
>matches within the league stage produce no results, the teams will be
>ordered as per their league seedings."

Wow! That's really planning for all eventualities.

Thanks, David.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
from coughing."
Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)

Re: Anybody know the RULE if two teams are TIED in group stages WC2023

<kqji90FtepfU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28669&group=uk.sport.cricket#28669

From: nos...@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
WC2023
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2023 06:28:47 +0000
 by: David North - Fri, 3 Nov 2023 06:28 UTC

On 02/11/2023 05:51, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer wrote:
> On 11/1/2023 10:05 PM, David North wrote:
>> On 01/11/2023 16:33, John Hall wrote:
>>> In message <uhtmbn$1l41a$1@dont-email.me>, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
>>> <FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com> writes

>> You told us last Friday that Pakistan was out. ;)
>
> Yes.
>
> On that day, Pakis odds of making semi finals was EXTREMELY LOW.

My main point was that you presented a prediction as a fact. They are
not out until their chances of reaching the semi-finals are zero. At the
time you posted, I think it was mathematically possible for anyone to
qualify.

> Unfortunately NZ lost three games in a row which was very UNLIKELY at
> that time.

other two defeats were to Australia and South Africa. I wasn't surprised
that they lost both of those. Were you? They had lost their previous 5
ODIs against Australia, while their recent record against SA was fairly
even, so I would have put their chances of losing both at around 30%.

--
David North

Re: Anybody know the RULE if two teams are TIED in group stages WC2023

<kqjintFtepiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28670&group=uk.sport.cricket#28670

From: nos...@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
WC2023
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2023 06:36:44 +0000
 by: David North - Fri, 3 Nov 2023 06:36 UTC

On 02/11/2023 09:48, John Hall wrote:
> In message <kqgp1oF8qpbU1@mid.individual.net>, David North
> <nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk> writes
> <snip>
>> "  –  If the above does not resolve the league ordering, or if all
>> matches within the league stage produce no results, the teams will be
>> ordered as per their league seedings."
>
> Wow! That's really planning for all eventualities.

That's what I thought. I dug up the playing conditions for the 2019
World Cup, and it was virtually the same then, so it wasn't prompted by
Covid.

--
David North

Re: Anybody know the RULE if two teams are TIED in group stages WC2023

<a1af3ced-e004-4128-b375-3f64f924346d@america.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28672&group=uk.sport.cricket#28672

From: FBInCIAn...@america.com (FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
WC2023
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2023 02:41:08 -0700
 by: FBInCIAnNSATerrorist - Fri, 3 Nov 2023 09:41 UTC

On 11/2/2023 11:28 PM, David North wrote:
> On 02/11/2023 05:51, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer wrote:

>>> You told us last Friday that Pakistan was out. ;)
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> On that day, Pakis odds of making semi finals was EXTREMELY LOW.
>
> My main point was that you presented a prediction as a fact. They are
> not out until their chances of reaching the semi-finals are zero. At the
> time you posted, I think it was mathematically possible for anyone to
> qualify.

When the odds are EXTREMELY LOW, we can usually write off because for
Pakis to make the semis, so many things had to happen SIMULTANEOUSLY.

Did you HONESTLY EXPECT England to be 1-5 and be at the BOTTOM OF THE
TABLE, worse than even Bangladesh, Netherlands, Sri Lanka and Afghanistan?

NOT EVEN a single cricket fan did.

IF England WON the games they are SUPPOSED to win OR NZ won ONE game out
of their last three games, then Pakis would have been out of Semis like
I wrote them off.

Sometimes in cricket, the UNTHINKABLE and UNEXPECTED happens and teams
go on a downswing because of various factors like injuries, bad
decisions after winning the toss and loss of form or opponent players
coming into form etc.

When I wrote pakis off, they really had EXTREMELY LOW ODDS, wasn't zero
but EXTREMELY LOW ODDS.

>> Unfortunately NZ lost three games in a row which was very UNLIKELY at
>> that time.

> other two defeats were to Australia and South Africa. I wasn't surprised
> that they lost both of those. Were you? They had lost their previous 5
> ODIs against Australia, while their recent record against SA was fairly
> even, so I would have put their chances of losing both at around 30%.

NZ had a good record against India in World Cups.

They were in good form and ALMOST beat Australia. That game was down to
the last ball. Could have gone either way.

So, IF NZ beat Australia in that game, Pakis would have been OUT of the
semis for good.

Pakis are VERY LUCKY.

If you RECALL, Pakis made semis in the last T20 world cup because of
PURE fucking LUCK of Netherlands beating SA.

Re: Anybody know the RULE if two teams are TIED in group stages WC2023

<08c99835-90cb-4521-acde-348520c4f15b@america.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28675&group=uk.sport.cricket#28675

From: FBInCIAn...@america.com (FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
WC2023
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2023 04:23:28 -0700
 by: FBInCIAnNSATerrorist - Fri, 3 Nov 2023 11:23 UTC

On 11/2/2023 11:28 PM, David North wrote:
> On 02/11/2023 05:51, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer wrote:

>>> You told us last Friday that Pakistan was out. ;)
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> On that day, Pakis odds of making semi finals was EXTREMELY LOW.
>
> My main point was that you presented a prediction as a fact. They are
> not out until their chances of reaching the semi-finals are zero. At the
> time you posted, I think it was mathematically possible for anyone to
> qualify.

Pakistan still WON"T make the Semis IF they LOSE to EITHER New Zealand
OR LOSE to England and be behind NZ NRR.

Hopefully England will beat Pakis out of desperation and ELIMINATE them
out of Semis.

>> Unfortunately NZ lost three games in a row which was very UNLIKELY at
>> that time.

> other two defeats were to Australia and South Africa. I wasn't surprised
> that they lost both of those. Were you? They had lost their previous 5
> ODIs against Australia, while their recent record against SA was fairly
> even, so I would have put their chances of losing both at around 30%.

Re: Anybody know the RULE if two teams are TIED in group stages WC2023

<kqm4bsFc75kU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28677&group=uk.sport.cricket#28677

From: nos...@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
WC2023
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2023 05:49:48 +0000
 by: David North - Sat, 4 Nov 2023 05:49 UTC

On 03/11/2023 09:41, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer wrote:
> On 11/2/2023 11:28 PM, David North wrote:

>>> Yes.
>>>
>>> On that day, Pakis odds of making semi finals was EXTREMELY LOW.
>>
>> My main point was that you presented a prediction as a fact. They are
>> not out until their chances of reaching the semi-finals are zero. At
>> the time you posted, I think it was mathematically possible for anyone
>> to qualify.
>

> When the odds are EXTREMELY LOW, we can usually write off because for
> Pakis to make the semis, so many things had to happen SIMULTANEOUSLY.
>

> Did you HONESTLY EXPECT England to be 1-5 and be at the BOTTOM OF THE
> TABLE, worse than even Bangladesh, Netherlands, Sri Lanka and Afghanistan?
>

> NOT EVEN a single cricket fan did.
>
> IF England WON the games they are SUPPOSED to win OR NZ won ONE game out
> of their last three games, then Pakis would have been out of Semis like
> I wrote them off.
>
> Sometimes in cricket, the UNTHINKABLE and UNEXPECTED happens and teams
> go on a downswing because of various factors like injuries, bad
> decisions after winning the toss and loss of form or opponent players
> coming into form etc.
>
> When I wrote pakis off, they really had EXTREMELY LOW ODDS, wasn't zero
> but EXTREMELY LOW ODDS.
>

>>> Unfortunately NZ lost three games in a row which was very UNLIKELY at
>>> that time.

>> other two defeats were to Australia and South Africa. I wasn't
>> surprised that they lost both of those. Were you? They had lost their
>> previous 5 ODIs against Australia, while their recent record against
>> SA was fairly even, so I would have put their chances of losing both
>> at around 30%.
>>

> NZ had a good record against India in World Cups.

So what? As I have already pointed out, that match had already happened
when you made your prediction.

> They were in good form and ALMOST beat Australia. That game was down to
> the last ball. Could have gone either way.

Sure.

> So, IF NZ beat Australia in that game, Pakis would have been OUT of the
> semis for good.

No they wouldn't, because they would now be level on points with
Australia. So if Pakistan then won their last two matches, and Australia
lost any of their last three or NZ lost to SL, Pakistan would have
finished level on 10 points with one of Australia and NZ at worst. OK,
they might well still have gone out on NRR, but they might not.

--
David North

Re: Anybody know the RULE if two teams are TIED in group stages WC2023

<kqm4qeFc75iU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28678&group=uk.sport.cricket#28678

From: nos...@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
WC2023
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2023 05:57:34 +0000
 by: David North - Sat, 4 Nov 2023 05:57 UTC

On 03/11/2023 11:23, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer wrote:
> On 11/2/2023 11:28 PM, David North wrote:

>>> Yes.
>>>
>>> On that day, Pakis odds of making semi finals was EXTREMELY LOW.
>>
>> My main point was that you presented a prediction as a fact. They are
>> not out until their chances of reaching the semi-finals are zero. At
>> the time you posted, I think it was mathematically possible for anyone
>> to qualify.
>>

> Pakistan still WON"T make the Semis IF they LOSE to EITHER New Zealand
> OR LOSE to England and be behind NZ NRR.

Correct.

> Hopefully England will beat Pakis out of desperation and ELIMINATE them
> out of Semis.

So you are hoping that Pakistan beat NZ? ;)

--
David North

Re: Anybody know the RULE if two teams are TIED in group stages WC2023

<779315a5-3a92-4922-9c8a-eee1d7657f45@america.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28680&group=uk.sport.cricket#28680

From: FBInCIAn...@america.com (FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
WC2023
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2023 01:48:42 -0700
 by: FBInCIAnNSATerrorist - Sat, 4 Nov 2023 08:48 UTC

On 11/3/2023 10:49 PM, David North wrote:
> On 03/11/2023 09:41, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer wrote:

>>> My main point was that you presented a prediction as a fact. They are
>>> not out until their chances of reaching the semi-finals are zero. At
>>> the time you posted, I think it was mathematically possible for
>>> anyone to qualify.
>>

>> When the odds are EXTREMELY LOW, we can usually write off because for
>> Pakis to make the semis, so many things had to happen SIMULTANEOUSLY.
>>

>> Did you HONESTLY EXPECT England to be 1-5 and be at the BOTTOM OF THE
>> TABLE, worse than even Bangladesh, Netherlands, Sri Lanka and
>> Afghanistan?
>>

>> NOT EVEN a single cricket fan did.
>>
>> IF England WON the games they are SUPPOSED to win OR NZ won ONE game
>> out of their last three games, then Pakis would have been out of Semis
>> like I wrote them off.
>>
>> Sometimes in cricket, the UNTHINKABLE and UNEXPECTED happens and teams
>> go on a downswing because of various factors like injuries, bad
>> decisions after winning the toss and loss of form or opponent players
>> coming into form etc.
>>
>> When I wrote pakis off, they really had EXTREMELY LOW ODDS, wasn't
>> zero but EXTREMELY LOW ODDS.

>>> other two defeats were to Australia and South Africa. I wasn't
>>> surprised that they lost both of those. Were you? They had lost their
>>> previous 5 ODIs against Australia, while their recent record against
>>> SA was fairly even, so I would have put their chances of losing both
>>> at around 30%.
>>>

>> NZ had a good record against India in World Cups.
>
> So what? As I have already pointed out, that match had already happened
> when you made your prediction.
>
>> They were in good form and ALMOST beat Australia. That game was down
>> to the last ball. Could have gone either way.
>
> Sure.
>
>> So, IF NZ beat Australia in that game, Pakis would have been OUT of
>> the semis for good.
>
> No they wouldn't, because they would now be level on points with
> Australia. So if Pakistan then won their last two matches, and Australia
> lost any of their last three or NZ lost to SL, Pakistan would have
> finished level on 10 points with one of Australia and NZ at worst. OK,
> they might well still have gone out on NRR, but they might not.

Yes Pakis would have been out because Australia AIN'T gonna lose to
Bangladesh and Afghanistan.

Australia's NRR would have been VERY HIGH for Pakis to catch up too.

NZ WON'T lose to SL either.

I will bet money and give 1 to 100 to anyone that Pakis WON'T make semis
if NZ win today which it appears they will after posting 370+.

Re: Anybody know the RULE if two teams are TIED in group stages WC2023

<63cff0d2-c1f8-401b-b54a-4dc589dc8ad5@america.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28681&group=uk.sport.cricket#28681

From: FBInCIAn...@america.com (FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
WC2023
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2023 01:53:35 -0700
 by: FBInCIAnNSATerrorist - Sat, 4 Nov 2023 08:53 UTC

On 11/3/2023 10:57 PM, David North wrote:
> On 03/11/2023 11:23, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer wrote:

>>> My main point was that you presented a prediction as a fact. They are
>>> not out until their chances of reaching the semi-finals are zero. At
>>> the time you posted, I think it was mathematically possible for
>>> anyone to qualify.
>>>

>> Pakistan still WON"T make the Semis IF they LOSE to EITHER New Zealand
>> OR LOSE to England and be behind NZ NRR.
>
> Correct.
>
>> Hopefully England will beat Pakis out of desperation and ELIMINATE
>> them out of Semis.
>
> So you are hoping that Pakistan beat NZ? ;)

Not even in my dreams :-))

All Indian fans except MUSLIMS at the ground are supporting NZ against
Pakis as I type this.

Re: Anybody know the RULE if two teams are TIED in group stages WC2023

<kqmjv9Fc75kU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28682&group=uk.sport.cricket#28682

From: nos...@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
WC2023
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2023 10:16:09 +0000
 by: David North - Sat, 4 Nov 2023 10:16 UTC

On 04/11/2023 08:48, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer wrote:
> On 11/3/2023 10:49 PM, David North wrote:

>>> When the odds are EXTREMELY LOW, we can usually write off because for
>>> Pakis to make the semis, so many things had to happen SIMULTANEOUSLY.
>>>

>>> Did you HONESTLY EXPECT England to be 1-5 and be at the BOTTOM OF THE
>>> TABLE, worse than even Bangladesh, Netherlands, Sri Lanka and
>>> Afghanistan?
>>>

>>> NOT EVEN a single cricket fan did.
>>>
>>> IF England WON the games they are SUPPOSED to win OR NZ won ONE game
>>> out of their last three games, then Pakis would have been out of
>>> Semis like I wrote them off.
>>>
>>> Sometimes in cricket, the UNTHINKABLE and UNEXPECTED happens and
>>> teams go on a downswing because of various factors like injuries, bad
>>> decisions after winning the toss and loss of form or opponent players
>>> coming into form etc.
>>>
>>> When I wrote pakis off, they really had EXTREMELY LOW ODDS, wasn't
>>> zero but EXTREMELY LOW ODDS.

>>> NZ had a good record against India in World Cups.
>>
>> So what? As I have already pointed out, that match had already
>> happened when you made your prediction.
>>
>>> They were in good form and ALMOST beat Australia. That game was down
>>> to the last ball. Could have gone either way.
>>
>> Sure.
>>
>>> So, IF NZ beat Australia in that game, Pakis would have been OUT of
>>> the semis for good.
>>
>> No they wouldn't, because they would now be level on points with
>> Australia. So if Pakistan then won their last two matches, and
>> Australia lost any of their last three or NZ lost to SL, Pakistan
>> would have finished level on 10 points with one of Australia and NZ at
>> worst. OK, they might well still have gone out on NRR, but they might
>> not.
>>

> Yes Pakis would have been out because Australia AIN'T gonna lose to
> Bangladesh and Afghanistan.

They certainly wouldn't have needed to lose to both of them.

> Australia's NRR would have been VERY HIGH for Pakis to catch up too.

Yes, if Aus had only lost one of their last three, it's unlikely that
Pak would have overhauled their NRR.

> NZ WON'T lose to SL either.

It doesn't seem very likely, but we'll see.

> I will bet money and give 1 to 100 to anyone that Pakis WON'T make semis
> if NZ win today which it appears they will after posting 370+.
ROFL. How generous. If NZ win today, it will be mathematically
impossible for Pakistan to qualify (and England, Sri Lanka and
Netherlands). Good luck getting anyone to take your bet.

--
David North

Re: Anybody know the RULE if two teams are TIED in group stages WC2023

<kqmk5oFc75iU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28683&group=uk.sport.cricket#28683

From: nos...@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
WC2023
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2023 10:19:35 +0000
 by: David North - Sat, 4 Nov 2023 10:19 UTC

On 04/11/2023 08:53, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer wrote:
> On 11/3/2023 10:57 PM, David North wrote:

>>> Pakistan still WON"T make the Semis IF they LOSE to EITHER New
>>> Zealand OR LOSE to England and be behind NZ NRR.
>>
>> Correct.
>>
>>> Hopefully England will beat Pakis out of desperation and ELIMINATE
>>> them out of Semis.
>>
>> So you are hoping that Pakistan beat NZ? ;)
>
> Not even in my dreams :-))

Well England can't eliminate Pakistan if NZ have already done it.

--
David North

Re: Anybody know the RULE if two teams are TIED in group stages WC2023

<b7fckidg9k834olq81v0kce3p3j70aqdf8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28684&group=uk.sport.cricket#28684

From: max...@tea.time (max.it)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2023 12:46:51 +0000
 by: max.it - Sat, 4 Nov 2023 12:46 UTC

On Sat, 4 Nov 2023 10:16:09 +0000, David North
<nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

>> I will bet money and give 1 to 100 to anyone that Pakis WON'T make semis
>> if NZ win today which it appears they will after posting 370+.

>ROFL. How generous. If NZ win today, it will be mathematically
>impossible for Pakistan to qualify (and England, Sri Lanka and
>Netherlands). Good luck getting anyone to take your bet.

On radio they said NZ can knock out 4 other teams if they win.

max.it

Re: Anybody know the RULE if two teams are TIED in group stages WC2023

<a9329cbd-13ed-4c12-b211-853bca509645@america.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28685&group=uk.sport.cricket#28685

From: FBInCIAn...@america.com (FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
WC2023
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2023 06:14:17 -0700
 by: FBInCIAnNSATerrorist - Sat, 4 Nov 2023 13:14 UTC

On 11/4/2023 5:46 AM, max.it wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Nov 2023 10:16:09 +0000, David North
> <nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>> I will bet money and give 1 to 100 to anyone that Pakis WON'T make semis
>>> if NZ win today which it appears they will after posting 370+.
>

>> ROFL. How generous. If NZ win today, it will be mathematically
>> impossible for Pakistan to qualify (and England, Sri Lanka and
>> Netherlands). Good luck getting anyone to take your bet.
>

> On radio they said NZ can knock out 4 other teams if they win.
>
> max.it

That's correct.

A NZ win in this game will set the semifinalists because Afg cannot win
BOTH of their next two games and the other teams will be out of running
today.