Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 08:25:12 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Lanarkshire re-cycle scheme gives new lease of life to scrapped bikes
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 24 Jul 2023 15:25 UTC

Children across North Lanarkshire are getting on their bikes thanks to an innovative recycling scheme.

Any cycles left at the council’s six recycling centres are now being retrieved and passed to Recycled Bikes Scotland – who are restoring them for local groups to distribute.

The new initiative was launched this week at St Augustine’s Church in Coatbridge, which runs a busy outreach project including a foodbank, clothing distribution and annual toy appeal.

Restored bicycles made available through the scheme will be sent to local good causes who will in turn pass them on to children and families across North Lanarkshire.

The council already teams up with Recycled Bikes Scotland on projects including working with schools and the social work department to provide bikes for youngsters working on cycling proficiency schemes and as Christmas gifts..

Environment convener Helen Loughran and tackling poverty convener Geraldine Woods visited the Coatbridge venue to launch the recycling project, saying it will “benefit people in our communities”.

Councillor Loughran said: “This launch is just the start – we have other plans such as working with local nurseries and primary schools to ensure as many children receive a bike as possible.

“It’s also about reducing waste and recycling to deliver bikes for our residents; and we’re also working to support cycling across North Lanarkshire, helping people reduce their carbon footprint, enjoy the outdoors and have fun.”

Coatbridge South representative Councillor Woods said: “In addition to the recycling and climate benefits of this project, we’re also working to support local families who may not have resources to purchase bikes.

“We want our young people to learn life skills, such as safe cycling, to improve their health and wellbeing, and I look forward to seeing many more restored bikes being provided for our communities.

“It’s important that affordability barriers are removed and everyone, young and old, enjoys the same opportunities.”

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/in-your-area/lanarkshire/lanarkshire-re-cycle-scheme-gives-30494144