Have the courage to take your own thoughts seriously, for they will shape you. -- Albert Einstein

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter Portugal

SubjectAuthor
* OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter PortugalTweed
+- OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter PortugalTweed
+- OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter PortugalSam Wilson
+- OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter PortugalAnna Noyd-Dryver
+* OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter PortugalRoland Perry
|`- OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter PortugalTweed
+* OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter PortugalGraeme Wall
|+* OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter PortugalRoland Perry
||`* OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter PortugalTweed
|| `* OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter PortugalRoland Perry
||  +* OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter PortugalTweed
||  |+* OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter PortugalRecliner
||  ||+- OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter PortugalTweed
||  ||`* OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter PortugalGraeme Wall
||  || `* OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter PortugalRecliner
||  ||  `* OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter PortugalGraeme Wall
||  ||   +* OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter PortugalTweed
||  ||   |`- OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter PortugalRecliner
||  ||   `* OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter PortugalRecliner
||  ||    `* OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter PortugalRoland Perry
||  ||     `* OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter PortugalSam Wilson
||  ||      `* OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter PortugalRoland Perry
||  ||       `* OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter PortugalSam Wilson
||  ||        `* OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter PortugalMark Goodge
||  ||         +- OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter PortugalTweed
||  ||         +* OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter PortugalSam Wilson
||  ||         |`- OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter PortugalRoland Perry
||  ||         `- OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter PortugalSam Wilson
||  |`- OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter PortugalRoland Perry
||  `* OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter PortugalRoland Perry
||   `* OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter PortugalGraeme Wall
||    `* OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter PortugalSam Wilson
||     `- OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter PortugalRoland Perry
|`* OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter PortugalRecliner
| `* OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter PortugalTweed
|  `- OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter PortugalRecliner
`* OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter PortugalRecliner
 `* OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter PortugalRoland Perry
  +- OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter PortugalRecliner
  `* OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter PortugalTweed
   `* OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter PortugalMarland
    +* OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter PortugalTweed
    |`- OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter Portugalhounslow3@yahoo.co.uk
    `* OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter PortugalGraeme Wall
     `- OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter PortugalMarland

Pages:12
Re: OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter Portugal

<kIms0PbsuqZiFAva@perry.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28689&group=uk.railway#28689

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter Portugal
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 15:09:48 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 14:09 UTC

In message <t469o7$98o$1@dont-email.me>, at 14:03:51 on Mon, 25 Apr
2022, Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> remarked:
>Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>> In message <t44108$cqn$1@dont-email.me>, at 17:22:16 on Sun, 24 Apr
>> 2022, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:

>> The government says they are blue. By which I can only assume they mean
>> "Navy Blue". It's curiously difficult to find the Pantone number, but it
>> might be "Bristol Black".
>
>When I was a child “French Navy” was darker than “Navy Blue”,
>but I don’t suppose that would be an acceptable description.

When you were a child, did they have Pantone numbers?
--
Roland Perry

Re: OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter Portugal

<t46bhg$nv8$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28690&group=uk.railway#28690

From: ukr...@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 14:34:24 -0000 (UTC)
<t44108$cqn$1@dont-email.me>
<m6MMYRYHboZiFAt1@perry.uk>
<t469o7$98o$1@dont-email.me>
<kIms0PbsuqZiFAva@perry.uk>
sha1:ASz8Ot/w/cQitgUclpNEZ+/ojtA=
 by: Sam Wilson - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 14:34 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <t469o7$98o$1@dont-email.me>, at 14:03:51 on Mon, 25 Apr
> 2022, Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> remarked:
>> Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <t44108$cqn$1@dont-email.me>, at 17:22:16 on Sun, 24 Apr
>>> 2022, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> The government says they are blue. By which I can only assume they mean
>>> "Navy Blue". It's curiously difficult to find the Pantone number, but it
>>> might be "Bristol Black".
>>
>> When I was a child “French Navy” was darker than “Navy Blue”,
>> but I don’t suppose that would be an acceptable description.
>
> When you were a child, did they have Pantone numbers?

Since neither the company website nor Wikipedia says when the PMS numbers
were introduced, I don’t know the answer to that question. The Pantone
company certainly seems to have existed during my childhood.

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter Portugal

<rbdd6hhlmmtil4n073o0tobjchtn1mt5bl@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28691&group=uk.railway#28691

From: use...@listmail.good-stuff.co.uk (Mark Goodge)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 16:02:12 +0100
References: <t412f2$9ud$1@dont-email.me> <t43e13$mjp$1@dont-email.me> <PARmGODzFUZiFAr7@perry.uk> <t43k2n$5hc$1@dont-email.me> <igOt+dKN8WZiFAsX@perry.uk> <t43rsj$2iu$1@dont-email.me> <t43sa3$68d$1@dont-email.me> <t43tao$dpc$2@dont-email.me> <t43tlm$h12$1@dont-email.me> <t43uv7$qsa$1@dont-email.me> <t44108$cqn$1@dont-email.me> <m6MMYRYHboZiFAt1@perry.uk> <t469o7$98o$1@dont-email.me> <kIms0PbsuqZiFAva@perry.uk> <t46bhg$nv8$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Mark Goodge - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 15:02 UTC

On Mon, 25 Apr 2022 14:34:24 -0000 (UTC), Sam Wilson
<ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:

>Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>> In message <t469o7$98o$1@dont-email.me>, at 14:03:51 on Mon, 25 Apr
>> 2022, Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> remarked:

>>> When I was a child “French Navy” was darker than “Navy Blue”,
>>> but I don’t suppose that would be an acceptable description.
>>
>> When you were a child, did they have Pantone numbers?
>
>Since neither the company website nor Wikipedia says when the PMS numbers
>were introduced, I don’t know the answer to that question. The Pantone
>company certainly seems to have existed during my childhood.

The first PMS guide was produced in 1963, with ten colours, according to
this article:

https://www.fastcompany.com/3050240/how-pantone-became-the-definitive-language-of-color

Pantone's website also mentions 1963, but the infographic (not the text)
mentions 500 colours:

https://www.pantone.com/about-pantone

I don't think those two numbers are contradictory, I suspect that it was
500 different shades of 10 basic colours.

Mark

Re: OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter Portugal

<t46kel$9bt$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28693&group=uk.railway#28693

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 17:06:29 -0000 (UTC)
<t44108$cqn$1@dont-email.me>
<m6MMYRYHboZiFAt1@perry.uk>
<t469o7$98o$1@dont-email.me>
<kIms0PbsuqZiFAva@perry.uk>
<t46bhg$nv8$1@dont-email.me>
<rbdd6hhlmmtil4n073o0tobjchtn1mt5bl@4ax.com>
sha1:B9m5PhFDcWoIkrfF6D8+g4msQPg=
 by: Tweed - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 17:06 UTC

Mark Goodge <usenet@listmail.good-stuff.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Apr 2022 14:34:24 -0000 (UTC), Sam Wilson
> <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <t469o7$98o$1@dont-email.me>, at 14:03:51 on Mon, 25 Apr
>>> 2022, Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> remarked:

>>> When you were a child, did they have Pantone numbers?
>>
>> Since neither the company website nor Wikipedia says when the PMS numbers
>> were introduced, I don’t know the answer to that question. The Pantone
>> company certainly seems to have existed during my childhood.
>
> The first PMS guide was produced in 1963, with ten colours, according to
> this article:
>
> https://www.fastcompany.com/3050240/how-pantone-became-the-definitive-language-of-color
>
> Pantone's website also mentions 1963, but the infographic (not the text)
> mentions 500 colours:
>
> https://www.pantone.com/about-pantone
>
> I don't think those two numbers are contradictory, I suspect that it was
> 500 different shades of 10 basic colours.
>
> Mark

Someone made an FOI request in 2018. Judging from the response I wonder how
the blue colour was specified, and perhaps the lack of specification is why
we are where we are.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/454794/response/1102325/attach/2/FOICR%2046745%20Alex%20Bowers%20final%20response.pdf

Thank you for your email of 3 January, in which you ask for information on
the colour of the UK passport.

Your request has been handled as a request for information under the
Freedom of Information Act 2000.

I would like to request the official Pantone (or other method of
identifying colour, Eg. RGB, HSL) colour for:
1) The current Red / Burgundy passport cover
2) The upcoming Blue passport cover
3) The previous Blue passport cover.

The design and manufacture of UK passports is outsourced to a third-party
supplier to meet the requirements set by Her Majesty’s Passport Office.
These requirements do not stipulate a Pantone colour reference, or any
other colour model value, and therefore the information requested is not
held in relation to any previous, current, or future passport cover.

Re: OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter Portugal

<t4744c$avu$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28699&group=uk.railway#28699

From: ukr...@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 21:34:04 -0000 (UTC)
<t44108$cqn$1@dont-email.me>
<m6MMYRYHboZiFAt1@perry.uk>
<t469o7$98o$1@dont-email.me>
<kIms0PbsuqZiFAva@perry.uk>
<t46bhg$nv8$1@dont-email.me>
<rbdd6hhlmmtil4n073o0tobjchtn1mt5bl@4ax.com>
sha1:qTwkx476xkG5agdGJQyiaBf19DQ=
 by: Sam Wilson - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 21:34 UTC

Mark Goodge <usenet@listmail.good-stuff.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Apr 2022 14:34:24 -0000 (UTC), Sam Wilson
> <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <t469o7$98o$1@dont-email.me>, at 14:03:51 on Mon, 25 Apr
>>> 2022, Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> remarked:

>>> When you were a child, did they have Pantone numbers?
>>
>> Since neither the company website nor Wikipedia says when the PMS numbers
>> were introduced, I don’t know the answer to that question. The Pantone
>> company certainly seems to have existed during my childhood.
>
> The first PMS guide was produced in 1963, with ten colours, according to
> this article:
>
> https://www.fastcompany.com/3050240/how-pantone-became-the-definitive-language-of-color
>
> Pantone's website also mentions 1963, but the infographic (not the text)
> mentions 500 colours:
>
> https://www.pantone.com/about-pantone
>
> I don't think those two numbers are contradictory, I suspect that it was
> 500 different shades of 10 basic colours.

Thank you for that. So, Roland, yes, when I was a child they[1] did have[2]
Pantone numbers.

[1] FSVO “they”
[2] FSVO “have”

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter Portugal

<t474d3$cou$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28700&group=uk.railway#28700

From: ukr...@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 21:38:43 -0000 (UTC)
<t44108$cqn$1@dont-email.me>
<m6MMYRYHboZiFAt1@perry.uk>
<t469o7$98o$1@dont-email.me>
<kIms0PbsuqZiFAva@perry.uk>
<t46bhg$nv8$1@dont-email.me>
<rbdd6hhlmmtil4n073o0tobjchtn1mt5bl@4ax.com>
sha1:dsFWxc1Bo9wWL5AKCD5roYRBf0g=
 by: Sam Wilson - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 21:38 UTC

Mark Goodge <usenet@listmail.good-stuff.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Apr 2022 14:34:24 -0000 (UTC), Sam Wilson
> <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <t469o7$98o$1@dont-email.me>, at 14:03:51 on Mon, 25 Apr
>>> 2022, Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> remarked:

>>> When you were a child, did they have Pantone numbers?
>>
>> Since neither the company website nor Wikipedia says when the PMS numbers
>> were introduced, I don’t know the answer to that question. The Pantone
>> company certainly seems to have existed during my childhood.
>
> The first PMS guide was produced in 1963, with ten colours, according to
> this article:
>
> https://www.fastcompany.com/3050240/how-pantone-became-the-definitive-language-of-color
>
> Pantone's website also mentions 1963, but the infographic (not the text)
> mentions 500 colours:
>
> https://www.pantone.com/about-pantone
>
> I don't think those two numbers are contradictory, I suspect that it was
> 500 different shades of 10 basic colours.

Ah, right. My search of the Pantone web site was way too cursory. Thank
you.

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter Portugal

<dUyizSd8w3ZiFA5i@perry.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28702&group=uk.railway#28702

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 05:59:40 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 04:59 UTC

In message <t4744c$avu$1@dont-email.me>, at 21:34:04 on Mon, 25 Apr
2022, Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> remarked:
>Mark Goodge <usenet@listmail.good-stuff.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Mon, 25 Apr 2022 14:34:24 -0000 (UTC), Sam Wilson
>> <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Since neither the company website nor Wikipedia says when the PMS numbers
>>> were introduced, I don’t know the answer to that question. The Pantone
>>> company certainly seems to have existed during my childhood.
>>
>> The first PMS guide was produced in 1963, with ten colours, according to
>> this article:
>>

>>https://www.fastcompany.com/3050240/how-pantone-became-the-definitive-l
>>anguage-of-color
>>
>> Pantone's website also mentions 1963, but the infographic (not the text)
>> mentions 500 colours:
>>
>> https://www.pantone.com/about-pantone
>>
>> I don't think those two numbers are contradictory, I suspect that it was
>> 500 different shades of 10 basic colours.
>
>Thank you for that. So, Roland, yes, when I was a child they[1] did have[2]
>Pantone numbers.
>
>[1] FSVO “they”
>[2] FSVO “have”

But apparently not for passports (especially the old ones), which I find
surprising in this day and age. I think I was first aware of them in the
mid-80's when a 'proper' graphic artist wanted to know what to specify
for some brochures. Before that the closest I'd got was the colours that
printers ink came in (often in toothpaste tubes, like paintbrush artists
use).

There's another aspect to this, which is that if there wasn't a specific
tone specified, maybe some people did have black-looking passports, and
other people navy-blue looking ones, depending on the batch?

Meanwhile, I read that some form of' government spokesman' has
reportedly said the new passport is close to Pantone 5395C. Which is RGB
colour #091f2c: 3.53% red, 12.16% green and 17.25% blue
--
Roland Perry

Re: OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter Portugal

<DRf1itoIx$ZiFAba@perry.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28708&group=uk.railway#28708

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 15:06:00 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 14:06 UTC

In message <igOt+dKN8WZiFAsX@perry.uk>, at 16:38:53 on Sun, 24 Apr 2022,
Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> remarked:

>>Well there’s three lots of stupidity by various authorities here:
>>1) UK for issuing passports valid for 10 and a bit years, against all
>>international standards.
>
>I'm sure they did that to smooth out the peaks of demand, where they'd
>otherwise be overwhelmed in Late spring by people renewing their
>summer-sun passports at the last minute, to avoid having to miss out
>on part of the previous one's 10yr validity.

And I don't believe in co-incidences wen it comes to issues in the
press. It's all part of a campaign. So today we have:

<https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/passport-delay-renewal-
summer-holidays-b2065433.html>

UK travellers could lose out on holidays this summer because of
an "unprecedented" surge in passport applications.

Those hoping to travel abroad have been warned to renew their
passports "as soon as possible" by Home Office minister Kevin
Foster, who said a million passport applications were received
in the last month alone.

"To put that into context, we usually deal with seven million in
a whole year," he told MPs.

"We would advise people this is a very [missing word here -ed:
'very virtually unprecedented' doesn't parse], virtually
unprecedented surge in demand, and if people are planning to
travel this summer we would advise them to get their application
in as soon as possible."

And maybe stock up on toilet rolls, cooking oil and diesel, while you
are at it.

"Conservative MP Simon Hoare described the passport backlog as
'unprecedented, true, but foreseeable, absolutely', and said
some constituents had described their experience as being an
'absolute shambles'.

Interesting part:

"Demand for passports has been needlessly increased by the
government and some airlines misrepresenting the post-Brexit
passport rules.

The two requirements for a British passport to be valid for
travel to the European Union are:

o On the day of arrival in the EU, was it issued less than 10
years ago?

o On the intended day of departure from the EU, will it have at
least three months remaining?

These two conditions are independent of each other - so a
British traveller to Europe with a passport issued on 2 May 2012
that expires on 2 November 2022 can enter any time up to 1 May
2022."

But not enter after 2 November, minus three months = 2nd August. Nor
stay more than 3 months after 2 May = 2 August.

Nobody is misrepresenting anything, other than whoever the unattributed
source of that quote is.

It's shame (or is this another non-coincidence) they chose a date in
August which is when many people take their holidays??

Bottom line, if you have one of those 2nd May 2012 issued passports (or
a month or two either side) and want to be in the EU on 3rd August (or
equivalent), you are stuffed.

And going back to my original theme, if people had renewed "early",
they'd be throwing some of their money away because the ten years starts
ticking long before they were planning on travelling.

Another Priti mess we've gotten into.

ps The solution is to issue new passports with a start date nominated by
the holder, eg when they expect to travel, not the random earlier
date that the Home Office finally gets around to issuing it.

That scheme works for Visas, which can have a start date which is
disjoint from the issue date. For example one of my old passports has
a Russian business visa, issued on the 4th of a month, which was
valid from the 10th of that month for 31 days. I actually arrived on
the 17th and departed on the 20th (conference in Moscow).
--
Roland Perry

Re: OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter Portugal

<t492pj$rh3$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28712&group=uk.railway#28712

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 16:23:31 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 15:23 UTC

And now, blame it on the civil service:
<https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61233206>

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter Portugal

<t499gd$ol9$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28713&group=uk.railway#28713

From: ukr...@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 17:18:05 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:3Ua0qoWqBhPhtoadZ3LeTCNoVho=
 by: Sam Wilson - Tue, 26 Apr 2022 17:18 UTC

Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> [...]
>> a month or two either side) and want to be in the EU on 3rd August (or
>> equivalent), you are stuffed.
>>
>> And going back to my original theme, if people had renewed "early",
>> they'd be throwing some of their money away because the ten years starts
>> ticking long before they were planning on travelling.
>>
>> Another Priti mess we've gotten into.
>>
>> ps The solution is to issue new passports with a start date nominated by
>> the holder, eg when they expect to travel, not the random earlier
>> date that the Home Office finally gets around to issuing it.
>>
>> That scheme works for Visas, which can have a start date which is
>> disjoint from the issue date. For example one of my old passports has
>> a Russian business visa, issued on the 4th of a month, which was
>> valid from the 10th of that month for 31 days. I actually arrived on
>> the 17th and departed on the 20th (conference in Moscow).

If it’s in trouble, privatise it! After all it’s worked so well for all
other public services and utilities, especially the railways.

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter Portugal

<oTpfC8vfuMaiFAXk@perry.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28720&group=uk.railway#28720

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 05:50:39 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 04:50 UTC

In message <t499gd$ol9$1@dont-email.me>, at 17:18:05 on Tue, 26 Apr
2022, Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> remarked:

>>> UK travellers could lose out on holidays this summer because of
>>> an "unprecedented" surge in passport applications.
>>>The solution is to issue new passports with a start date nominated by
>>> the holder, eg when they expect to travel, not the random earlier
>>> date that the Home Office finally gets around to issuing it.
>>>
>>> That scheme works for Visas, which can have a start date which is
>>> disjoint from the issue date. For example one of my old passports has
>>> a Russian business visa, issued on the 4th of a month, which was
>>> valid from the 10th of that month for 31 days. I actually arrived on
>>> the 17th and departed on the 20th (conference in Moscow).
>>
>> And now, blame it on the civil service:
>> <https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61233206>
>
>If it’s in trouble, privatise it! After all it’s worked so well for all
>other public services and utilities, especially the railways.

I did work quite well for the railways (at least to begin with),
especially in the areas of communicating with the public, and
introducing innovations.

The only way the Passport Office is trying to deal with the backlog is
by (belatedly) promoting its scheme for fast-tracking. As the
complainants point out, this current issue was predictable, especially
(to use the over-worn phrase) the perfect storm of Covid and Brexit.

ps. The reason that the gloss went off rail privatisation was the
Treasury getting greedy, and that's the government's fault, not the
operators. You'd think that by the time they'd killed a couple of
golden geese on the ECML they'd have smelt the coffee. With a side
order of the RMT constantly moaning about profits and overseas
ownership, neither of which seem to bother anyone in other sectors.
--
Roland Perry

Re: OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter Portugal

<t5e3l2$fr5$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29290&group=uk.railway#29290

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 16:25:06 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:rJSg6uFS6Hcs4wbgpYgQmqtC6fQ=
 by: Recliner - Tue, 10 May 2022 16:25 UTC

Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> treating British holidaymakers the same as EU citizens at its borders.
>
> The Portuguese government has opened its e-gates to British travellers,
> enabling them to be fast-tracked seamlessly without having to queue for
> hours for manual checks, as previously required under Brexit.
>
> Britons will no longer be treated as “third country” visitors as demanded
> under Brexit, but will have a special e-gate channel for the three million
> UK holidaymakers who visit Portugal every year.
>
> The move to establish frictionless travel as if the UK was in the EU’s
> borderless Schengen Area will be seen as an attempt by Portugal to lure
> Britons away from other southern European summer hotspots popular with UK
> holidaymakers.
>
> The UK is Portugal’s biggest overseas tourist market with nearly 484,000
> “room nights” clocked up by Britons in January and February alone, the
> highest of any country.
>
> Its new border policy could force countries such as Spain, France, Greece
> and Italy to follow suit. British tourists account for a substantial slice
> of all four EU states’ tourist revenues.
>
> Although Brexit means Britain is treated as a “third” country by the EU,
> individual EU states are free to set their own travel rules.
>
> Passenger locator forms scrapped
>
> From Saturday, travellers to mainland Portugal are no longer required to
> complete a passenger locator form and masks are mandatory only on public
> transport, including taxis and aircraft, and when entering hospitals, care
> homes and similar services.
>
> Luis Araujo, the president of Turismo de Portugal, told The Telegraph that
> opening the e-gates would “provide increased accessibility for our valued
> British travellers, as we head into the busy summer period”.
>
> He added: “We’re delighted to have made travel to Portugal even more
> seamless for those able to make the most of the new e-gates.”
>
> Paul Charles, the chief executive of the PC Agency, a travel consultancy,
> said: “Portugal is clearly leading the way in recognising that they have to
> process vast numbers of British visitors as seamlessly as possible
> otherwise there would be long queues this summer.
>
> “So it’s a clever way of differentiating themselves from other countries
> who are not processing in the same way. I think you will see other EU
> countries follow this approach otherwise British travellers will face long
> delays going into France, Spain, Greece, Italy and other countries.”
>

> Spanish airlines are already demanding faster passport checks for UK
> arrivals after 3,000 people missed flights from queues in Madrid at Easter.
> UK travellers have swelled the ranks of non-Schengen passengers post-Brexit
> with the necessary physical passport checks causing chaos.
>
> Portugal by contrast will now allow British travellers with e-passports to
> use e-gates in the special channels at Lisbon, Faro, Porto and Funchal in
> Madeira. They can also be used by people from Australia, New Zealand,

I arrived in Rome yesterday, and Immigration was a huge improvement on six
months ago. Although not yet indicated on the signs, Brits can now use the
existing no-visa 'second country' e-gates, along with US, Aussie, NZ,
Taiwanese, Singapore, etc passport holders. There was no queue, and a
helpful chap was on hand to help people position their passports correctly
on the scanner. Then you just walked to the kiosk to get the passport
stamped. The Immigration official there did just that, and no more, so it
only took a few seconds. No questions, no queue. No-one even asked about
Covid vaccinations or tests, and the dreaded PLF is no more. Checking in at
Heathrow also didn't involve showing any vaccination or test certificate.

So, it's almost back to pre-Brexit, pre-Covid days. The airports were busy,
with plenty of staff manning security, and the A321 completely full. The BA
Club lounge was packed, too.

Re: OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter Portugal

<iPPdl9+V00eiFA2T@perry.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29293&group=uk.railway#29293

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 06:43:49 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Wed, 11 May 2022 05:43 UTC

In message <t5e3l2$fr5$1@dont-email.me>, at 16:25:06 on Tue, 10 May
2022, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:

>So, it's almost back to pre-Brexit, pre-Covid days. The airports were busy,
>with plenty of staff manning security, and the A321 completely full. The BA
>Club lounge was packed, too.

On Monday Tui announced its in-flight catering programme had imploded,
and queues at Manchester and Birmingham airports were long enough to
have made the main news bulletins.

Although to be fair, the complaints were only that the check-in and
security queues took two hours, and I've routinely had experiences like
that at Gatwick in the past, and a couple of times at Birmingham too.
--
Roland Perry

Re: OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter Portugal

<t5fjp3$jkf$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29294&group=uk.railway#29294

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 06:06:27 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:xeQTJqXL5R0wGfBWq9L5Vqk5cpg=
 by: Recliner - Wed, 11 May 2022 06:06 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <t5e3l2$fr5$1@dont-email.me>, at 16:25:06 on Tue, 10 May
> 2022, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>
>> So, it's almost back to pre-Brexit, pre-Covid days. The airports were busy,
>> with plenty of staff manning security, and the A321 completely full. The BA
>> Club lounge was packed, too.
>
> On Monday Tui announced its in-flight catering programme had imploded,
> and queues at Manchester and Birmingham airports were long enough to
> have made the main news bulletins.
>
> Although to be fair, the complaints were only that the check-in and
> security queues took two hours, and I've routinely had experiences like
> that at Gatwick in the past, and a couple of times at Birmingham too.

Heathrow was running very smoothly on Monday morning. Most people were
checking in quickly at the machines, and despite large numbers of
travellers, there were no delays at security.

Re: OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter Portugal

<t5gt96$i56$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29322&group=uk.railway#29322

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 17:54:46 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:ldd6ZJWRfjxNociaSOirJ46OGTs=
 by: Tweed - Wed, 11 May 2022 17:54 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <t5e3l2$fr5$1@dont-email.me>, at 16:25:06 on Tue, 10 May
> 2022, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>
>> So, it's almost back to pre-Brexit, pre-Covid days. The airports were busy,
>> with plenty of staff manning security, and the A321 completely full. The BA
>> Club lounge was packed, too.
>
> On Monday Tui announced its in-flight catering programme had imploded,
> and queues at Manchester and Birmingham airports were long enough to
> have made the main news bulletins.
>
> Although to be fair, the complaints were only that the check-in and
> security queues took two hours, and I've routinely had experiences like
> that at Gatwick in the past, and a couple of times at Birmingham too.

I was at Birmingham around 10 days ago, but in the evening. It was clear
that they had security staff in training as all the screens had pairs of
operators and everything was going through the scanners very slowly. My
toothpaste got rejected twice for reasons that nobody could explain. Then
it got put into some other sort of analysis machine before I got it back. I
think things will pick up as staff come out of training. Apparently
Schiphol has had similar problems of late.

Re: OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter Portugal

<je2slcFhkjgU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29324&group=uk.railway#29324

From: gemeha...@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 11 May 2022 22:46:04 GMT
 by: Marland - Wed, 11 May 2022 22:46 UTC

Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
> Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>> In message <t5e3l2$fr5$1@dont-email.me>, at 16:25:06 on Tue, 10 May
>> 2022, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>>
>>> So, it's almost back to pre-Brexit, pre-Covid days. The airports were busy,
>>> with plenty of staff manning security, and the A321 completely full. The BA
>>> Club lounge was packed, too.
>>
>> On Monday Tui announced its in-flight catering programme had imploded,
>> and queues at Manchester and Birmingham airports were long enough to
>> have made the main news bulletins.
>>
>> Although to be fair, the complaints were only that the check-in and
>> security queues took two hours, and I've routinely had experiences like
>> that at Gatwick in the past, and a couple of times at Birmingham too.
>
> I was at Birmingham around 10 days ago, but in the evening. It was clear
> that they had security staff in training as all the screens had pairs of
> operators and everything was going through the scanners very slowly. My
> toothpaste got rejected twice for reasons that nobody could explain. Then
> it got put into some other sort of analysis machine before I got it back. I
> think things will pick up as staff come out of training. Apparently
> Schiphol has had similar problems of late.

I wasn’t looking foward to returning from Chicago O’Hara , took about an
hour to get airside due to a shortage of scanner operators.

Entering via Heathrow T5 this morning was a breeze, no delays by border
force,luggage handlers or customs , plane to coach stop time set by how
fast we could wee and walk ( not at the same time by the way).

GH

Re: OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter Portugal

<t5i9gi$tg9$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29338&group=uk.railway#29338

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 06:29:38 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:LoL+VJA4ROVt7B4noa8lHo+z/GQ=
 by: Tweed - Thu, 12 May 2022 06:29 UTC

Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
> Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <t5e3l2$fr5$1@dont-email.me>, at 16:25:06 on Tue, 10 May
>>> 2022, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> On Monday Tui announced its in-flight catering programme had imploded,
>>> and queues at Manchester and Birmingham airports were long enough to
>>> have made the main news bulletins.
>>>
>>> Although to be fair, the complaints were only that the check-in and
>>> security queues took two hours, and I've routinely had experiences like
>>> that at Gatwick in the past, and a couple of times at Birmingham too.
>>
>> I was at Birmingham around 10 days ago, but in the evening. It was clear
>> that they had security staff in training as all the screens had pairs of
>> operators and everything was going through the scanners very slowly. My
>> toothpaste got rejected twice for reasons that nobody could explain. Then
>> it got put into some other sort of analysis machine before I got it back. I
>> think things will pick up as staff come out of training. Apparently
>> Schiphol has had similar problems of late.
>>

> I wasn’t looking foward to returning from Chicago O’Hara , took about an
> hour to get airside due to a shortage of scanner operators.
>
> Entering via Heathrow T5 this morning was a breeze, no delays by border
> force,luggage handlers or customs , plane to coach stop time set by how
> fast we could wee and walk ( not at the same time by the way).
>

> GH

Border Force seem to have got their act together with respect to electronic
passport gates. Lots of them in operation and a much expanded range of
countries accepted. When I landed at Gatwick from Madeira it was straight
to the egate without any queue.

Re: OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter Portugal

<t5ia1t$uik$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29340&group=uk.railway#29340

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 07:38:53 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Thu, 12 May 2022 06:38 UTC

On 11/05/2022 23:46, Marland wrote:
> I wasn’t looking foward to returning from Chicago O’Hara , took about an
> hour to get airside due to a shortage of scanner operators.

Now you are Scarlett faced with embarrassment?

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter Portugal

<je3vl6Fnp1iU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29342&group=uk.railway#29342

From: gemeha...@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 12 May 2022 08:43:18 GMT
 by: Marland - Thu, 12 May 2022 08:43 UTC

Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On 11/05/2022 23:46, Marland wrote:
>> I wasn’t looking foward to returning from Chicago O’Hara , took about an
>> hour to get airside due to a shortage of scanner operators.
>
> Now you are Scarlett faced with embarrassment?

Blame lack of sleep, rested now.
What a difference a d(a)y makes.

GH

Re: OT: You may use the ePassport gates to enter Portugal

<t5j3k3$mkv$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29363&group=uk.railway#29363

From: hounsl...@yahoo.co.uk (hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 14:55:14 +0100
 by: hounslow3@yahoo.co.u - Thu, 12 May 2022 13:55 UTC

On 12/05/2022 07:29, Tweed wrote:
> Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
>> Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I was at Birmingham around 10 days ago, but in the evening. It was clear
>>> that they had security staff in training as all the screens had pairs of
>>> operators and everything was going through the scanners very slowly. My
>>> toothpaste got rejected twice for reasons that nobody could explain. Then
>>> it got put into some other sort of analysis machine before I got it back. I
>>> think things will pick up as staff come out of training. Apparently
>>> Schiphol has had similar problems of late.
>>>

>> I wasn’t looking foward to returning from Chicago O’Hara , took about an
>> hour to get airside due to a shortage of scanner operators.
>>
>> Entering via Heathrow T5 this morning was a breeze, no delays by border
>> force,luggage handlers or customs , plane to coach stop time set by how
>> fast we could wee and walk ( not at the same time by the way).
>>

>> GH
>>

> Border Force seem to have got their act together with respect to electronic
> passport gates. Lots of them in operation and a much expanded range of
> countries accepted. When I landed at Gatwick from Madeira it was straight
> to the egate without any queue.

They have them also at Copenhagen.