How many chunks could checkchunk check if checkchunk could check chunks? -- Alan Cox

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / I'm seeing some very odd spam

SubjectAuthor
* I'm seeing some very odd spamJohn Williamson
+- Re: I'm seeing some very odd spamSn!pe
+- Re: I'm seeing some very odd spamAhem A Rivet's Shot
+* Re: I'm seeing some very odd spamhubops
|`* Re: I'm seeing some very odd spamSn!pe
| `* Re: I'm seeing some very odd spamhubops
|  `* Re: I'm seeing some very odd spamSn!pe
|   `- Re: I'm seeing some very odd spamhubops
`* Re: I'm seeing some very odd spamBrian Gaff
 +- Re: I'm seeing some very odd spamTease'n'Seize
 `- Re: I'm seeing some very odd spamJohn Williamson

1
I'm seeing some very odd spam

<l0sn1tFg5dhU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28754&group=uk.rec.sheds#28754

From: johnwill...@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: I'm seeing some very odd spam
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 13:23:09 +0000
 by: John Williamson - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 13:23 UTC

In some usenet groups, I am seeing a lot of what seem to be text files
and links nicked off the web. One this morning was part of a Doctor Who
script, posted as unformatted text showing the formatting codes as plain
ASCII.

Why on earth would anyone go to the trouble of finding something like
that, downloading it, and then uploading it to a group about UK
waterways, even if they do use Gurgle Gropes?

Another group keeps showing subject lines in Thai? characters.

Luckily, someone has worked out how to mark most such posts as expired
very effectively and quickly.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: I'm seeing some very odd spam

<1qnj7wi.6vuuf41hbl65iN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28756&group=uk.rec.sheds#28756

From: snipec...@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: I'm seeing some very odd spam
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 13:57:23 +0000
 by: Sn!pe - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 13:57 UTC

John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:

> In some usenet groups, I am seeing a lot of what seem to be text files
> and links nicked off the web. One this morning was part of a Doctor Who
> script, posted as unformatted text showing the formatting codes as plain
> ASCII.
>
> Why on earth would anyone go to the trouble of finding something like
> that, downloading it, and then uploading it to a group about UK
> waterways, even if they do use Gurgle Gropes?
>
> Another group keeps showing subject lines in Thai? characters.
>
> Luckily, someone has worked out how to mark most such posts as expired
> very effectively and quickly.

It's part of the Googlespam Tsunami that's giving the News Admins a lot
to do keeping their NoCeM antispam measures up to date. It should end
when Google finally pulls the plug on their Google Groups to Usenet
gateway in late Feb. (not before time).

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator

My pet rock Gordon just is.

Re: I'm seeing some very odd spam

<20240118144652.6ae4942c7615d720858cd888@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28757&group=uk.rec.sheds#28757

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 14:46:52 +0000
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 14:46 UTC

On Thu, 18 Jan 2024 13:23:09 +0000
John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:

> In some usenet groups, I am seeing a lot of what seem to be text files
> and links nicked off the web. One this morning was part of a Doctor Who
> script, posted as unformatted text showing the formatting codes as plain
> ASCII.

If it's in HTML a common trick is to put junk like that inside tags
that prevent it from being visible in an HTML viewer while the scam text is
visible. The quoted junk is to mess up spam detection software by drowning
the dodgy stuff with stuff that won't raise alarms.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: I'm seeing some very odd spam

<ggfiqi5ghnmmdj15at211e27jp1lnb734g@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28758&group=uk.rec.sheds#28758

From: hub...@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 10:09:53 -0500
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.com - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 15:09 UTC

On Thu, 18 Jan 2024 13:23:09 +0000, John Williamson
<johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:

>In some usenet groups, I am seeing a lot of what seem to be text files
>and links nicked off the web. One this morning was part of a Doctor Who
>script, posted as unformatted text showing the formatting codes as plain
>ASCII.
>
>Why on earth would anyone go to the trouble of finding something like
>that, downloading it, and then uploading it to a group about UK
>waterways, even if they do use Gurgle Gropes?
>
>Another group keeps showing subject lines in Thai? characters.
>
>Luckily, someone has worked out how to mark most such posts as expired
>very effectively and quickly.

I'm still seeing 1000 + per day in the woodworking group -
- I've stopped checking for legit posts and simply purge it all -
.. 2 mouse clicks.
The other groups that I follow are not infected, thankfully.
John T.

Re: I'm seeing some very odd spam

<1qnjc0v.kzvxljz0zfa5N%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28764&group=uk.rec.sheds#28764

From: snipec...@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 15:23:58 +0000
 by: Sn!pe - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 15:23 UTC

<hubops@ccanoemail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Jan 2024 13:23:09 +0000, John Williamson
> <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
> >In some usenet groups, I am seeing a lot of what seem to be text files
> >and links nicked off the web. One this morning was part of a Doctor Who
> >script, posted as unformatted text showing the formatting codes as plain
> >ASCII.
> >
> >Why on earth would anyone go to the trouble of finding something like
> >that, downloading it, and then uploading it to a group about UK
> >waterways, even if they do use Gurgle Gropes?
> >
> >Another group keeps showing subject lines in Thai? characters.
> >
> >Luckily, someone has worked out how to mark most such posts as expired
> >very effectively and quickly.
> >

> I'm still seeing 1000 + per day in the woodworking group -
> - I've stopped checking for legit posts and simply purge it all -
> .. 2 mouse clicks.
> The other groups that I follow are not infected, thankfully.
> John T.

I don't think binary NSPs are doing NoCeM, try one that's participating,
like Eternal September.

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator

My pet rock Gordon just is.

Re: I'm seeing some very odd spam

<nehiqipg8gcn7gievccnblcvanpie2647h@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28768&group=uk.rec.sheds#28768

From: hub...@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 10:39:33 -0500
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.com - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 15:39 UTC

On Thu, 18 Jan 2024 15:23:58 +0000, snipeco.2@gmail.com (Sn!pe) wrote:

><hubops@ccanoemail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 18 Jan 2024 13:23:09 +0000, John Williamson
>> <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:
>>
>> >In some usenet groups, I am seeing a lot of what seem to be text files
>> >and links nicked off the web. One this morning was part of a Doctor Who
>> >script, posted as unformatted text showing the formatting codes as plain
>> >ASCII.
>> >
>> >Why on earth would anyone go to the trouble of finding something like
>> >that, downloading it, and then uploading it to a group about UK
>> >waterways, even if they do use Gurgle Gropes?
>> >
>> >Another group keeps showing subject lines in Thai? characters.
>> >
>> >Luckily, someone has worked out how to mark most such posts as expired
>> >very effectively and quickly.
>> >

>> I'm still seeing 1000 + per day in the woodworking group -
>> - I've stopped checking for legit posts and simply purge it all -
>> .. 2 mouse clicks.
>> The other groups that I follow are not infected, thankfully.
>> John T.
>
>I don't think binary NSPs are doing NoCeM, try one that's participating,
>like Eternal September.

To what end .. ?
I'm simply hoping that the google groups demise will end it
and that the few regulars return after that ..
John T.

Re: I'm seeing some very odd spam

<1qnjh8y.1n524q515qqpe4N%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28771&group=uk.rec.sheds#28771

From: snipec...@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 17:19:15 +0000
iZ4vFDG
 by: Sn!pe - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 17:19 UTC

<hubops@ccanoemail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Jan 2024 15:23:58 +0000, snipeco.2@gmail.com (Sn!pe) wrote:
>
> ><hubops@ccanoemail.com> wrote:

> >> I'm still seeing 1000 + per day in the woodworking group -
> >> - I've stopped checking for legit posts and simply purge it all -
> >> .. 2 mouse clicks.
> >> The other groups that I follow are not infected, thankfully.
> >> John T.
> >
> >I don't think binary NSPs are doing NoCeM, try one that's participating,
> >like Eternal September.
> >

> To what end .. ?
> I'm simply hoping that the google groups demise will end it
> and that the few regulars return after that ..
> John T.

When the GG battle is won the spammers will move on to another
open server and the war will continue. It is in the nature of things.
Be thankful that there are people who care fighting the war for you.

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator

My pet rock Gordon just is.

Re: I'm seeing some very odd spam

<variqil4abfvv0fu81kv8a2ehjvjlg5em9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28772&group=uk.rec.sheds#28772

From: hub...@ccanoemail.com
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 13:48:15 -0500
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.com - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 18:48 UTC

On Thu, 18 Jan 2024 17:19:15 +0000, snipeco.2@gmail.com (Sn!pe) wrote:

><hubops@ccanoemail.com> wrote:

>> >I don't think binary NSPs are doing NoCeM, try one that's participating,
>> >like Eternal September.
>> >

>> To what end .. ?
>> I'm simply hoping that the google groups demise will end it
>> and that the few regulars return after that ..
>> John T.
>>

>When the GG battle is won the spammers will move on to another
>open server and the war will continue. It is in the nature of things.
>Be thankful that there are people who care fighting the war for you.

Bless their hearts
Those stout and stalwart
Defenders of the realm
Where would we be
With dear old usenet
Without them at the helm

Hear them roar
Forever more
In righteous indignation
As to the throes
Olde usenet goes
Along with google nation

John T.

Re: I'm seeing some very odd spam

<uodkv2$33q85$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28784&group=uk.rec.sheds#28784

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 11:03:59 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Fri, 19 Jan 2024 11:03 UTC

I thought Google no longer ran a gateway to Usenet?
Some of the crud you get is there to try to fool filters so the short
message of the spammer gets through.
The ones I see are mainly from scammers or illegal services. In fact none
of them may be actually real and just designed to get your money or details.
So far its ripped off valid cards, drugs, a guy who is recruiting women for
his Mexican torture farm, some kind of glorified pyramid enterprise, and
messages that say almost anything after assuring you it is not a scam.
No I don't want a load of adult toys thanks very much, if they actually
exist which is debatable. We are also seeing a new wave of ladies
advertising their phone sex lines, with video if you pay more.
Luckily, you can kill them with a kill file, as they are not very
imaginative with their spam avoidance.
It kind of makes me wonder if people are still falling for this crap, if
not why bother?
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"John Williamson" <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> In some usenet groups, I am seeing a lot of what seem to be text files and
> links nicked off the web. One this morning was part of a Doctor Who
> script, posted as unformatted text showing the formatting codes as plain
> ASCII.
>
> Why on earth would anyone go to the trouble of finding something like
> that, downloading it, and then uploading it to a group about UK waterways,
> even if they do use Gurgle Gropes?
>
> Another group keeps showing subject lines in Thai? characters.
>
> Luckily, someone has worked out how to mark most such posts as expired
> very effectively and quickly.
> --
> Tciao for Now!
>
> John.

Re: I'm seeing some very odd spam

<nkWdnY0WTK2jxzf4nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28787&group=uk.rec.sheds#28787

Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 11:17:18 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: tease-an...@invalid (Tease'n'Seize)
 by: Tease'n'Se - Fri, 19 Jan 2024 11:17 UTC

Brian Gaff wrote:

> I thought Google no longer ran a gateway to Usenet?

About a month left ...

Re: I'm seeing some very odd spam

<l0v6cnFdepU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28790&group=uk.rec.sheds#28790

From: johnwill...@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 11:57:10 +0000
 by: John Williamson - Fri, 19 Jan 2024 11:57 UTC

On 19/01/2024 11:03, Brian Gaff wrote:
> I thought Google no longer ran a gateway to Usenet?

It is still there, but will be de-peered from their end on the 22nd of
February.

Their own private Google Groups will still work, but posts made there
will not propagate to usenet. Old posts will still be visible and
searchable.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.