A conclusion is simply the place where someone got tired of thinking.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Extend green man crossing times to make cities friendlier for older people

SubjectAuthor
* Extend green man crossing times to make cities friendlier for older peopleswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: Extend green man crossing times to make cities friendlier forJNugent
|+- Re: Extend green man crossing times to make citiesSpike
|`* Re: Extend green man crossing times to make cities friendlier forPeter Keller
| +- Re: Extend green man crossing times to make cities friendlier forJNugent
| `* Re: Extend green man crossing times to make cities friendlier forswldx...@gmail.com
|  +* Re: Extend green man crossing times to make cities friendlier forPeter Keller
|  |`- Re: Extend green man crossing times to make cities friendlier forJNugent
|  `- Re: Extend green man crossing times to make cities friendlier forJNugent
+* Re: Extend green man crossing times to make cities friendlier forswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Extend green man crossing times to make cities friendlier for older peopleswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: Extend green man crossing times to make cities friendlier forswldx...@gmail.com
|+- Re: Extend green man crossing times to make cities friendlier forJNugent
|`* Re: Extend green man crossing times to make cities friendlier forswldx...@gmail.com
| +- Re: Extend green man crossing times to make cities friendlier forJNugent
| `* Re: Extend green man crossing times to make cities friendlier forswldx...@gmail.com
|  `- Re: Extend green man crossing times to make citiesSpike
`- Re: Extend green man crossing times to make cities friendlier for older peopleswldx...@gmail.com

1
Extend green man crossing times to make cities friendlier for older people

<e37e1067-6e9c-4d2b-bfce-38d16fc4ba54n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28710&group=uk.rec.cycling#28710

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 09:21:49 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Extend green man crossing times to make cities friendlier for older people
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 24 Jul 2023 16:21 UTC

Whether it is crossing the road before the green man disappears, finding a spot to pause for breath, or identifying a landmark by which to navigate, getting out and about can be a challenge – particularly for older people or those with health problems.

Now experts say a slew of measures could help to make towns and cities more friendly for the modern population, whose lives have become longer and waistlines larger.

Among the proposed changes is an increase in the time given to people to cross the road.

An Active Travel England (ATE) spokesperson said: “We want to enable millions more people to travel by walking, wheeling and cycling for short trips. A big part of that is being able to make sure crossing times are inclusive so that they give enough time for everyone to cross the road.”

According to 2019 guidance from the Department for Transport (DfT), the assumed speed at which people cross a road can be decreased from 1.2 metres a second to 1 metre a second – a change of almost 20% – where there is a large number of slower pedestrians, for example. Few councils, however, have adopted the change.

The shift is expected to be incorporated into guidance from ATE and linked to council funding.

While ATE said the guidance was still being finalised, it said changes to crossing times could be particularly beneficial for older people.

A study published in 2012 by researchers at University College London found that among people aged 65 or older, 76% of men and 85% of women had a walking speed below the 1.2 metres per second needed to use a pedestrian crossing.

“Crossing times can be a challenge, particularly for elderly and disabled people, and a bad experience is enough to put someone off doing it,” the ATE spokesperson said.

Stephen Edwards, the chief executive of the charity Living Streets, said the shift to a lower assumed walking speed would be welcome, noting the current value was calculated in the 1950s and had not changed since.

“People walking and wheeling shouldn’t have to race to get to safety. These updated guidelines are a step in the right direction,” he said.

The charity, which runs a number of campaigns to improve accessibility, is also calling for pedestrian crossings to stop the traffic more quickly, noting people were more likely to take risks when crossing roads if the delay was more than 30 seconds.

Better walkways also matter, it notes, with the charity’s research showing 31% of over 65s are prevented from walking on their local streets because of cracked pavements. Meanwhile, clutter-free pavements – cleared of badly parked scooters, wheelie bins and poorly placed signage – would improve safety by removing obstacles.

Edwards said more public toilets and places to pause when walking would be another positive outcome.

“Places to rest are incredibly important for people who can’t walk long distances, including older people, those with chronic conditions or families with young children,” he said.

“We want people to walk more of their everyday journeys to improve health and reduce congestion, however, if people don’t have places to stop and rest or access to public bathrooms, they simply won’t make the journey or will be forced into using less sustainable and less active ways to get around.”

Caroline Abrahams, charity director at Age UK, also stressed the importance of such features for older people, adding good local amenities and public spaces also mattered. “Living a long fulfilling life is something we pretty much all aspire to, but one of the most important factors in helping us to live well for longer is our local environment,” she said.

With the number of people with dementia in the UK expected to rise from almost 900,000 in 2021 to 1.6 million in 2040, experts have also flagged adaptations that could help those with such conditions. These include legible streets signs, streets laid out in an irregular grid pattern, uncomplicated junctions, and distinctive features placed at decision points such as junctions.

But experts say it is not only elderly people, or those with dementia, who should be kept in mind.

Dr Rachel Colls at Durham University noted that there were also actions that could be taken to make urban spaces size-inclusive, such as making seating larger, that would also be beneficial for public transport. In this context having seats with movable arms, expandable seat belts and the capacity to book two seats if required would make these spaces more accessible, she said.

But, Colls added, it was not just the built environment that needed to change, but also the social one.

“Being a fat person in public space is difficult because attitudes towards fat people are so hostile,” she said. “That is what makes urban public spaces inaccessible: the fear of being judged, called names and being discriminated against.”

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/jul/24/extend-green-man-crossing-times-cities-older-people

Re: Extend green man crossing times to make cities friendlier for older people

<ki7oc5F4kq7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28711&group=uk.rec.cycling#28711

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Extend green man crossing times to make cities friendlier for
older people
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 17:49:10 +0100
 by: JNugent - Mon, 24 Jul 2023 16:49 UTC

> [...]
>
> But experts say it is not only elderly people, or those with dementia, who should be kept in mind.
>
> Dr Rachel Colls at Durham University noted that there were also actions that could be taken to make urban spaces size-inclusive, such as making seating larger, that would also be beneficial for public transport. In this context having seats with movable arms, expandable seat belts and the capacity to book two seats if required would make these spaces more accessible, she said.
>
> But, Colls added, it was not just the built environment that needed to change, but also the social one.
>
> “Being a fat person in public space is difficult because attitudes towards fat people are so hostile,” she said. “That is what makes urban public spaces inaccessible: the fear of being judged, called names and being discriminated against.”

The above is a load of trash.

Motor-vehicle drivers don't race off on green and amber and mow down
pedestrians on crossings.

It's only chav-cyclists on their fairy-cycles who do that (to the rather
limited extent that any of them stop at all, that is, at any sort of
pedestrian crossing).

Re: Extend green man crossing times to make cities friendlier for older people

<0e192f9b-3078-484c-91ba-8810c9b55e84n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28712&group=uk.rec.cycling#28712

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 10:03:36 -0700 (PDT)
older people
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 24 Jul 2023 17:03 UTC

QUOTE: An Active Travel England (ATE) spokesperson said: “We want to enable millions more people to travel by walking, wheeling and cycling for short trips. A big part of that is being able to make sure crossing times are inclusive so that they give enough time for everyone to cross the road..” ENDS

Good to see that they are applying this scheme to Toucan crossings as well.
Should annoy the impatient Mr Toads.

Re: Extend green man crossing times to make cities friendlier for older people

<ki7v22F5n2vU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28716&group=uk.rec.cycling#28716

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Extend green man crossing times to make cities
friendlier for older people
Date: 24 Jul 2023 18:43:14 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 24 Jul 2023 18:43 UTC

JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> points such as junctions.
>>
>> But experts say it is not only elderly people, or those with dementia,
>> who should be kept in mind.
>>
>> Dr Rachel Colls at Durham University noted that there were also actions
>> that could be taken to make urban spaces size-inclusive, such as making
>> seating larger, that would also be beneficial for public transport. In
>> this context having seats with movable arms, expandable seat belts and
>> the capacity to book two seats if required would make these spaces more
>> accessible, she said.
>>
>> But, Colls added, it was not just the built environment that needed to
>> change, but also the social one.
>>
>> “Being a fat person in public space is difficult because attitudes
>> towards fat people are so hostile,” she said. “That is what makes urban
>> public spaces inaccessible: the fear of being judged, called names and

Well, it’s The Guardian, after all…

--
Spike

Re: Extend green man crossing times to make cities friendlier for older people

<5b8b5568-93de-4d28-bc29-ab82b1d0b00dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28718&group=uk.rec.cycling#28718

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 12:14:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 24 Jul 2023 19:14 UTC

On Monday, July 24, 2023 at 6:03:39 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> QUOTE: An Active Travel England (ATE) spokesperson said: “We want to enable millions more people to travel by walking, wheeling and cycling for short trips. A big part of that is being able to make sure crossing times are inclusive so that they give enough time for everyone to cross the road.” ENDS
>
> Good to see that they are applying this scheme to Toucan crossings as well.
> Should annoy the impatient Mr Toads.

A toucan crossing is the British term for a type of pedestrian crossing that also allows bicycles to be ridden across. Since “two can” cross together (both pedestrians and cyclists) the name “toucan” was chosen. In the United Kingdom toucan crossings are normally four metres (13 feet) wide, instead of the 2.8 metre (9 feet) width of any pelican crossing or puffin crossing.

There are two types of toucan crossing: on more recently installed ones, a “green bicycle” is displayed next to the “green man” when cyclists and pedestrians are permitted to cross. A red bicycle and red man are shown at other times; older crossings do not have a red bicycle – bicycles are permitted to cross at any time (if it is safe to do so).

Unlike the pelican crossing, before the lights for vehicles go back to green, a steady red and amber are displayed instead of the flashing amber. The pedestrian/cyclist signal lights may be on the near side of the crossing (like a puffin crossing), or on the opposite side of the road (like a pelican crossing). A related crossing type is the pegasus crossing for horse riders.

Re: Extend green man crossing times to make cities friendlier for older people

<u9mlhn$pbpf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28719&group=uk.rec.cycling#28719

From: muzhm...@centrum.sk (Peter Keller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
older people
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 22:05:11 +0200
 by: Peter Keller - Mon, 24 Jul 2023 20:05 UTC

On 24. 7. 2023 18:49, JNugent wrote:
> [...]
>> seat belts and the capacity to book two seats if required would make
>> these spaces more accessible, she said.
>>
>> But, Colls added, it was not just the built environment that needed to
>> change, but also the social one.
>>
>> “Being a fat person in public space is difficult because attitudes
>> towards fat people are so hostile,” she said. “That is what makes
>> urban public spaces inaccessible: the fear of being judged, called
>> names and being discriminated against.”
>>
>> https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/jul/24/extend-green-man-crossing-times-cities-older-people
>
> The above is a load of trash.
>
> Motor-vehicle drivers don't race off on green and amber and mow down
> pedestrians on crossings.
>
> It's only chav-cyclists on their fairy-cycles who do that (to the rather
> limited extent that any of them stop at all, that is, at any sort of

This chav-bicyclist on his fairy-bicycle stops at pedestrian crossings.
He loves observing the delicious mini-skirted floosies in their flimsy
low-cut cop-tops wandering across the crossing.

Re: Extend green man crossing times to make cities friendlier for older people

<ki8d2dF7qr1U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28724&group=uk.rec.cycling#28724

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
older people
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 23:42:22 +0100
 by: JNugent - Mon, 24 Jul 2023 22:42 UTC

On 24/07/2023 09:05 pm, Peter Keller wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> “Being a fat person in public space is difficult because attitudes
>>> towards fat people are so hostile,” she said. “That is what makes
>>> urban public spaces inaccessible: the fear of being judged, called
>>> names and being discriminated against.”
>>>
>>> https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/jul/24/extend-green-man-crossing-times-cities-older-people
>>>

>> The above is a load of trash.
>>
>> Motor-vehicle drivers don't race off on green and amber and mow down
>> pedestrians on crossings.
>>
>> It's only chav-cyclists on their fairy-cycles who do that (to the
>> rather limited extent that any of them stop at all, that is, at any
>> sort of pedestrian crossing).
>
> This chav-bicyclist on his fairy-bicycle stops at pedestrian crossings.
> He loves observing the delicious mini-skirted floosies in their flimsy
> low-cut cop-tops wandering across the crossing.

I know! :-)

Re: Extend green man crossing times to make cities friendlier for older people

<a240d2f9-9aac-402e-a585-61e126dce9ccn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28738&group=uk.rec.cycling#28738

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 01:20:19 -0700 (PDT)
older people
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 08:20 UTC

On Monday, July 24, 2023 at 9:05:14 PM UTC+1, Peter Keller wrote:

> He loves observing the delicious mini-skirted floosies in their flimsy
> low-cut cop-tops wandering across the crossing.

At your age, I'd be very careful about admitting such things!

Re: Extend green man crossing times to make cities friendlier for older people

<u9o2b3$12por$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28739&group=uk.rec.cycling#28739

From: muzhm...@centrum.sk (Peter Keller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
older people
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 10:49:39 +0200
 by: Peter Keller - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 08:49 UTC

On 25. 7. 2023 10:20, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, July 24, 2023 at 9:05:14 PM UTC+1, Peter Keller wrote:
>
>> He loves observing the delicious mini-skirted floosies in their flimsy
>> low-cut cop-tops wandering across the crossing.
>
> At your age, I'd be very careful about admitting such things!

Why?
I know what I like and don't care who else knows.

Re: Extend green man crossing times to make cities friendlier for older people

<7c3b0dd8-d827-439d-b1c6-0cfe0d659e43n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28740&group=uk.rec.cycling#28740

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 02:09:57 -0700 (PDT)
older people
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 09:09 UTC

QUOTE: According to 2019 guidance from the Department for Transport (DfT), the assumed speed at which people cross a road can be decreased from 1.2 metres a second to 1 metre a second – a change of almost 20% – where there is a large number of slower pedestrians, for example. ENDS

Don't forget the time it takes for a cyclist to dismount, walk across and then remount at the road on the other side.

Re: Extend green man crossing times to make cities friendlier for older people

<ki9nujFea23U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28744&group=uk.rec.cycling#28744

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
older people
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 11:54:10 +0100
 by: JNugent - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 10:54 UTC

On 25/07/2023 10:09 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> QUOTE: According to 2019 guidance from the Department for Transport (DfT), the assumed speed at which people cross a road can be decreased from 1.2 metres a second to 1 metre a second – a change of almost 20% – where there is a large number of slower pedestrians, for example. ENDS
>
> Don't forget the time it takes for a chav-cyclist to dismount, walk across and then remount at the road on the other side.

Why would a chav on a fairy-bike do that?

Re: Extend green man crossing times to make cities friendlier for older people

<ki9o08Fea23U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28745&group=uk.rec.cycling#28745

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
older people
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 11:55:04 +0100
 by: JNugent - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 10:55 UTC

On 25/07/2023 09:20 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> On Monday, July 24, 2023 at 9:05:14 PM UTC+1, Peter Keller wrote:

>> He loves observing the delicious mini-skirted floosies in their flimsy
>> low-cut cop-tops wandering across the crossing.

> At your age, I'd be very careful about admitting such things!

Why?

There's nothing illegal or even untoward about it.

Re: Extend green man crossing times to make cities friendlier for older people

<ki9o0mFea23U4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28746&group=uk.rec.cycling#28746

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
older people
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 11:55:18 +0100

On 25/07/2023 09:49 am, Peter Keller wrote:
> On 25. 7. 2023 10:20, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Monday, July 24, 2023 at 9:05:14 PM UTC+1, Peter Keller wrote:
>>
>>> He loves observing the delicious mini-skirted floosies in their flimsy
>>> low-cut cop-tops wandering across the crossing.
>>
>> At your age, I'd be very careful about admitting such things!
>
> Why?
> I know what I like and don't care who else knows.

Well said.

Re: Extend green man crossing times to make cities friendlier for older people

<0b218629-0efd-4f0d-9789-a30a8c595bfan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28749&group=uk.rec.cycling#28749

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 05:27:48 -0700 (PDT)
older people
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 12:27 UTC

On Tuesday, July 25, 2023 at 10:09:59 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> QUOTE: According to 2019 guidance from the Department for Transport (DfT), the assumed speed at which people cross a road can be decreased from 1.2 metres a second to 1 metre a second – a change of almost 20% – where there is a large number of slower pedestrians, for example. ENDS
>
> Don't forget the time it takes for a cyclist to dismount, walk across and then remount at the road on the other side.

I used to carry my bike across as "luggage" just to stay within the law 100%.

Re: Extend green man crossing times to make cities friendlier for older people

<kia0abFfk46U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28750&group=uk.rec.cycling#28750

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
older people
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 14:16:59 +0100
 by: JNugent - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 13:16 UTC

[pretending to answer himself, said:]

> On Tuesday, July 25, 2023 at 10:09:59 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>> QUOTE: According to 2019 guidance from the Department for Transport (DfT), the assumed speed at which people cross a road can be decreased from 1.2 metres a second to 1 metre a second – a change of almost 20% – where there is a large number of slower pedestrians, for example. ENDS
>
>> Don't forget the time it takes for a cyclist to dismount, walk across and then remount at the road on the other side.
>
> I used to carry my bike across as "luggage" just to stay within the law 100%.

Since when did you "stay within the law 100%"?

You have posted links to video of yourself riding your chav-bike on
footways and between "No Entry" signs.

You have boasted of driving across halfway a continent in an unsafe
vehicle (because you were too tight to get it fixed).

Peculiar ways to stay within the law.

Re: Extend green man crossing times to make cities friendlier for older people

<7e77a866-0e26-4af7-a347-48341e19e53en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28755&group=uk.rec.cycling#28755

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 08:25:08 -0700 (PDT)
older people
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 15:25 UTC

QUOTE: “People walking and wheeling shouldn’t have to race to get to safety. ENDS

Agreed - too many elderly people are harassed by impatient drivers revving their engines and sounding their horns in a futile attempt to get them to hurry up. Longer red light times would be great.

Re: Extend green man crossing times to make cities friendlier for older people

<kia8t0Fh0f0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28762&group=uk.rec.cycling#28762

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
friendlier for older people
Date: 25 Jul 2023 15:43:28 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 15:43 UTC

> QUOTE: “People walking and wheeling shouldn’t have to race to get to safety. ENDS
>
> Agreed - too many elderly people are harassed by impatient drivers
> revving their engines and sounding their horns in a futile attempt to get
> them to hurry up. Longer red light times would be great.

Longer red light times wouldn’t make any difference to cyclists, would
they?

--
Spike

Re: Extend green man crossing times to make cities friendlier for older people

<e7f346ff-67ac-46ea-9cf5-68fdb8755fe2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28763&group=uk.rec.cycling#28763

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 08:48:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 25 Jul 2023 15:48 UTC

QUOTE: Meanwhile, clutter-free pavements – cleared of badly parked scooters, wheelie bins and poorly placed signage – would improve safety by removing obstacles. ENDS

You mean scenes like this?

https://www.livingstreets.org.uk/media/1111/pavementparking.png