You have been selected for a secret mission.

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Re: Satellite reception in the past week

SubjectAuthor
* Satellite reception in the past weekNY
+* Re: Satellite reception in the past weekalan_m
|`* Re: Satellite reception in the past weekBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
| `* Re: Satellite reception in the past weekTweed
|  +- Re: Satellite reception in the past weekWoody
|  `- Re: Satellite reception in the past weekMB
+* Re: Satellite reception in the past weekSH
|`- Re: Satellite reception in the past weekBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
`* Re: Satellite reception in the past weekMartin
 `- Re: Satellite reception in the past weekAndy Burns

1
Satellite reception in the past week

<smc2tc$b41$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28708&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#28708

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Satellite reception in the past week
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 20:55:38 -0000
 by: NY - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 20:55 UTC

I know there's been a solar storm recently and that its effect reached the
earth a couple of days ago, and that this would cause satellite TV reception
problems. I've certainly seen a lot more errors on satellite and have
temporarily switched to watching/recording terrestrial instead.

But I thought that was past now and satellite reception was back to normal
again. So why would my satellite reception still be worse than normal:
probably about 50 continuity errors per hour? There hasn't been torrential
rain - or (on some days) any rain at all.

As a matter of interest, are all the multiplexes on Astra 28.2 roughly the
same power or are there some which are lower power and therefore may be
subject to more errors (for the same dish, LNB, cable, tuner)?

The stats that my USB satellite tuner reports (PCTV 491e) are about the same
as always: -25 dBm strength and 15 dB SNR.

Re: Satellite reception in the past week

<iuu0mnF967jU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28713&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#28713

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: Satellite reception in the past week
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 01:20:23 +0000
 by: alan_m - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 01:20 UTC

On 08/11/2021 20:55, NY wrote:
> I know there's been a solar storm recently and that its effect reached
> the earth a couple of days ago, and that this would cause satellite TV
> reception problems. I've certainly seen a lot more errors on satellite
> and have temporarily switched to watching/recording terrestrial instead.

I've not seen any problem in the past week or so. Zone 2 mini-dish in a
zone 1 reception area

> But I thought that was past now and satellite reception was back to
> normal again. So why would my satellite reception still be worse than
> normal: probably about 50 continuity errors per hour? There hasn't been
> torrential rain - or (on some days) any rain at all.

Dish has moved??
Water in the cable??

> As a matter of interest, are all the multiplexes on Astra 28.2 roughly
> the same power or are there some which are lower power and therefore may
> be subject to more errors (for the same dish, LNB, cable, tuner)?

It's a cluster of satellites so if you dish is slightly off the
reception from one satellite may be slightly worse than from another

Sites such as
https://en.satexpat.com/sat/east/28.2/
show from which of the Astra satellites at 28.2E the signal originates

Re: Satellite reception in the past week

<smdbes$iqu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28717&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#28717

From: i.l...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 08:28:11 +0000
 by: SH - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 08:28 UTC

> As a matter of interest, are all the multiplexes on Astra 28.2 roughly
> the same power or are there some which are lower power and therefore may
> be subject to more errors (for the same dish, LNB, cable, tuner)?

They are transmitted with the same ERP from the satellite itself but
atmospheric attenuation varies over frequency and it is after all
something like 22,000 miles away.

What is more important is the signal to noise. The required minimum
signal to noise ratio actually depends on the modulation scheme used,
i.e. qpsk or 8psk along with symbol rate and FEC (Forward error correction).

The symbol rate, FEC and modulation scheme does vary across the
satellite's transponders.

So some transponders have a higher signal to noise requirement than
others and it is these that will degrade more before the others.

Re: Satellite reception in the past week

<smdfbo$cfo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28720&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#28720

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 09:34:46 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 09:34 UTC

I get the impression at the moment that those actually controlling and
replacing these sats are thinking in the long term to do away with them for
the average user, and use internet delivery instead. I personally think it
dangerous to rely on systems not directly under your control, I have to say.

I've not heard of anyone round here suffering errors, so maybe its been
there since the last big wind or torrential rain.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"alan_m" <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote in message
> On 08/11/2021 20:55, NY wrote:
>> I know there's been a solar storm recently and that its effect reached
>> the earth a couple of days ago, and that this would cause satellite TV
>> reception problems. I've certainly seen a lot more errors on satellite
>> and have temporarily switched to watching/recording terrestrial instead.
>
> I've not seen any problem in the past week or so. Zone 2 mini-dish in a
> zone 1 reception area
>

>> But I thought that was past now and satellite reception was back to
>> normal again. So why would my satellite reception still be worse than
>> normal: probably about 50 continuity errors per hour? There hasn't been
>> torrential rain - or (on some days) any rain at all.
>
> Dish has moved??
> Water in the cable??
>

>> As a matter of interest, are all the multiplexes on Astra 28.2 roughly
>> the same power or are there some which are lower power and therefore may
>> be subject to more errors (for the same dish, LNB, cable, tuner)?
>
> It's a cluster of satellites so if you dish is slightly off the reception
> from one satellite may be slightly worse than from another
>
> Sites such as
> https://en.satexpat.com/sat/east/28.2/
> show from which of the Astra satellites at 28.2E the signal originates
>

> --
> mailto : news {at} admac {dot} myzen {dot} co {dot} uk

Re: Satellite reception in the past week

<smdfhn$dih$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28722&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#28722

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 09:37:57 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 09:37 UTC

That was always the case with even UHF tv, as I recall the high channels
were much more absorbed than the lower ones.
Also and few consider this. The more north or south of the equator you are
the more atmosphere is going to be in the way.
So it can be affected by goings on far from where you are at different
heights.

"SH" <i.love@spam.com> wrote in message news:smdbes$iqu$1@dont-email.me...
>> As a matter of interest, are all the multiplexes on Astra 28.2 roughly
>> the same power or are there some which are lower power and therefore may
>> be subject to more errors (for the same dish, LNB, cable, tuner)?
>
> They are transmitted with the same ERP from the satellite itself but
> atmospheric attenuation varies over frequency and it is after all
> something like 22,000 miles away.
>
> What is more important is the signal to noise. The required minimum signal
> to noise ratio actually depends on the modulation scheme used, i.e. qpsk
> or 8psk along with symbol rate and FEC (Forward error correction).
>
> The symbol rate, FEC and modulation scheme does vary across the
> satellite's transponders.
>
> So some transponders have a higher signal to noise requirement than others
> and it is these that will degrade more before the others.

Re: Satellite reception in the past week

<smdhs2$tr9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28727&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#28727

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 10:17:39 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:oTOmmT7Phun2qujxPYpNweASBhw=
 by: Tweed - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 10:17 UTC

Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> I get the impression at the moment that those actually controlling and
> replacing these sats are thinking in the long term to do away with them for
> the average user, and use internet delivery instead. I personally think it
> dangerous to rely on systems not directly under your control, I have to say.

How are DBS satellites under the broadcasters’ direct control? They rent
space from a firm based in Luxembourg.

Re: Satellite reception in the past week

<smdjk9$a6s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28729&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#28729

From: harroga...@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 10:47:36 +0000
 by: Woody - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 10:47 UTC

On Tue 09/11/2021 10:17, Tweed wrote:
> Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>> I get the impression at the moment that those actually controlling and
>> replacing these sats are thinking in the long term to do away with them for
>> the average user, and use internet delivery instead. I personally think it
>> dangerous to rely on systems not directly under your control, I have to say.
>>
> How are DBS satellites under the broadcasters’ direct control? They rent
> space from a firm based in Luxembourg.

The up-linking is done by Arqiva (formerly by BT) from several UK sites.
Since that is likely part of the broadcast contract it could be said to
be under the broadcasters control?

Re: Satellite reception in the past week

<smdlmv$pbc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28733&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#28733

From: MB...@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 11:23:10 +0000
 by: MB - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 11:23 UTC

On 09/11/2021 10:17, Tweed wrote:
> How are DBS satellites under the broadcasters’ direct control? They rent
> space from a firm based in Luxembourg.

And the Internet itself can hardly be considered to be under their
control. Some kid in his bedroom can wipe out with a DoS attack.

Re: Satellite reception in the past week

<l39nogphjhi443u06s6fvusqhth3k9hgmk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28792&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#28792

From: me...@address.invalid (Martin)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 11:53:28 +0100
 by: Martin - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 10:53 UTC

On Mon, 8 Nov 2021 20:55:38 -0000, "NY" <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:

>I know there's been a solar storm recently and that its effect reached the
>earth a couple of days ago, and that this would cause satellite TV reception
>problems. I've certainly seen a lot more errors on satellite and have
>temporarily switched to watching/recording terrestrial instead.
>
>But I thought that was past now and satellite reception was back to normal
>again. So why would my satellite reception still be worse than normal:
>probably about 50 continuity errors per hour? There hasn't been torrential
>rain - or (on some days) any rain at all.
>
>As a matter of interest, are all the multiplexes on Astra 28.2 roughly the
>same power or are there some which are lower power and therefore may be
>subject to more errors (for the same dish, LNB, cable, tuner)?
>
>The stats that my USB satellite tuner reports (PCTV 491e) are about the same
>as always: -25 dBm strength and 15 dB SNR.

We have not had any problems using FREESAT.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Re: Satellite reception in the past week

<iv1mqaFud3bU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28793&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#28793

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 10:55:58 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 10:55 UTC

Martin wrote:

> "NY" wrote:
>
>> why would my satellite reception still be worse than normal:
>
> We have not had any problems using FREESAT.

Nor me, but I don't claim to have watched many channels, or for very long ...