QOTD: "Just how much can I get away with and still go to heaven?"

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / Absailing spider time

SubjectAuthor
* Absailing spider timeBrian Gaff
+* Re: Absailing spider timemaus
|+* Re: Absailing spider timeBrian Gaff
||`- Re: Absailing spider timemaus
|`* Re: Absailing spider timeJim Jackson
| `- Re: Absailing spider timeHymermut
`* Re: Absailing spider timeTease'n'Seize
 `* Re: Absailing spider timeSam Plusnet
  +- Re: Absailing spider timeBrian Gaff
  +* Re: Absailing spider timePeter
  |`* Re: Absailing spider timeAbandoned Trolley
  | `- Re: Absailing spider timeNicholas D. Richards
  `- Re: Absailing spider timeMike Fleming

1
Absailing spider time

<uogbpu$3lgfk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28811&group=uk.rec.sheds#28811

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Absailing spider time
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 11:46:03 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 11:46 UTC

It seems to be the time of the year when those tiny spiders that live in
cracks in the ceilings hatch out and drop loads of threads and abseil into
the rooms. What are they and what do they eat this time of year?
I know they are annoying as by keep on getting the thread on your face and
arms as you walk about.
Obviously they are so tiny, I cannot absolutely prove their spider looks,
but as no other animal can produce this silk, I guess it must be them.
Question is, how does a spider that small produce a thread that long?
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Re: Absailing spider time

<slrnuqnldq.ees.maus@deb2.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28822&group=uk.rec.sheds#28822

From: mau...@deb2.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: Absailing spider time
Date: 20 Jan 2024 14:16:26 GMT
 by: maus - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 14:16 UTC

On 2024-01-20, Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems to be the time of the year when those tiny spiders that live in
> cracks in the ceilings hatch out and drop loads of threads and abseil into
> the rooms. What are they and what do they eat this time of year?
> I know they are annoying as by keep on getting the thread on your face and
> arms as you walk about.
> Obviously they are so tiny, I cannot absolutely prove their spider looks,
> but as no other animal can produce this silk, I guess it must be them.
> Question is, how does a spider that small produce a thread that long?
> Brian

One of the texts I had to read at school was "The Natural History Of
Selbourne", written a long time ago. Just checked;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Natural_History_and_Antiquities_of_Selborne

Everyone should read it. A comparision with the currend quotes from
Mad Greta, `Scientists' and experts. Every autumn, I look over the
fields when the frost is showing the spiderwebs, and praise the works of
the Lord. The world be overrun by other insects if those billlions of
spiders were absent.

--
greymausg@mail.com
Is There not even an .Influencer to impale?

Re: Absailing spider time

<uoivi2$5lhu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28840&group=uk.rec.sheds#28840

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 11:35:29 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 11:35 UTC

Yes but I wondered if they have ben fooled into hatching early by the warmth
of the house, in which case they might not find much to eat.
Brian

--

--:
"maus" <maus@deb2.org> wrote in message news:slrnuqnldq.ees.maus@deb2.org...
> On 2024-01-20, Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>> It seems to be the time of the year when those tiny spiders that live in
>> cracks in the ceilings hatch out and drop loads of threads and abseil
>> into
>> the rooms. What are they and what do they eat this time of year?
>> I know they are annoying as by keep on getting the thread on your face
>> and
>> arms as you walk about.
>> Obviously they are so tiny, I cannot absolutely prove their spider
>> looks,
>> but as no other animal can produce this silk, I guess it must be them.
>> Question is, how does a spider that small produce a thread that long?
>> Brian
>>

> One of the texts I had to read at school was "The Natural History Of
> Selbourne", written a long time ago. Just checked;
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Natural_History_and_Antiquities_of_Selborne
>
> Everyone should read it. A comparision with the currend quotes from
> Mad Greta, `Scientists' and experts. Every autumn, I look over the
> fields when the frost is showing the spiderwebs, and praise the works of
> the Lord. The world be overrun by other insects if those billlions of
> spiders were absent.
>

> --
> greymausg@mail.com
> Is There not even an .Influencer to impale?
> Charles I, beheaded, Charles II, killed by doctors, What is happen to
> Chuck III?

Re: Absailing spider time

<slrnuqq593.2mo.jj@iridium.wf32df>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28841&group=uk.rec.sheds#28841

From: jj...@franjam.org.uk (Jim Jackson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 12:59:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jim Jackson - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 12:59 UTC

> .... I look over the
> fields when the frost is showing the spiderwebs, and praise the works of
> the Lord. The world be overrun by other insects if those billlions of
> spiders were absent.

I think pesticide use is robbing spiders of their job.

Re: Absailing spider time

<uoj6t0$6np1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28843&group=uk.rec.sheds#28843

From: ton...@email.com (Hymermut)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 13:40:48 +0000
 by: Hymermut - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 13:40 UTC

On 21/01/2024 12:59, Jim Jackson wrote:
>> .... I look over the
>> fields when the frost is showing the spiderwebs, and praise the works of
>> the Lord. The world be overrun by other insects if those billlions of
>> spiders were absent.
>
> I think pesticide use is robbing spiders of their job.

It snot spiderers here, tiz boodly Harlequin ladybrids.

Got infested with swarms of them every October. They think my flat is a
cliff or cave or summat.

All the windows were changed here late last year. I thought great,
that'll keep 'em out. But no. The new windows have closable vents, but
closures are hinged plastic covers, and the little bleeders seem to be
able to squeeze through the gaps when closed.

Then they just die.

Also, they kept coming this time, all through Nov. until now. Only in
twos or threes though. They are a lot smallerer and blackerer than last
year's lot.

They end up dead or alive, in the vacuum cleaner.

Tone

Re: Absailing spider time

<tHWdnUveUun2gjD4nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28844&group=uk.rec.sheds#28844

Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 13:43:07 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: tease-an...@invalid (Tease'n'Seize)
 by: Tease'n'Se - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 13:43 UTC

Brian Gaff wrote:

> It seems to be the time of the year when those tiny spiders that live in
> cracks in the ceilings hatch out and drop loads of threads and abseil into
> the rooms.

Never get those, not had the flying ants for a few years, and this year
I don't think many daddy long legses doing the face-bombing at night

Re: Absailing spider time

<slrnuqqcfg.h7r.maus@deb2.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28845&group=uk.rec.sheds#28845

From: mau...@deb2.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 21 Jan 2024 15:02:08 GMT
 by: maus - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 15:02 UTC

On 2024-01-21, Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes but I wondered if they have ben fooled into hatching early by the warmth
> of the house, in which case they might not find much to eat.
> Brian

They have, right in front of them. You. Yes, weather is odd this year,
like most years in the West European Islands, I turned on the light the
other night, and a fly started buzzing. I could almost hear it say "Oh
****, early again"

--
greymausg@mail.com
Is There not even an .Influencer to impale?
Charles I, beheaded, Charles II, killed by doctors, What is happen to Chuck III?

Re: Absailing spider time

<UUdrN.240109$c3Ea.211682@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28847&group=uk.rec.sheds#28847

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 19:04:20 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 19:04 UTC

On 21-Jan-24 13:43, Tease'n'Seize wrote:
> Brian Gaff wrote:
>
>> It seems to be the time of the year when those tiny spiders that live in
>> cracks in the ceilings hatch out and drop loads of threads and abseil
>> into
>> the rooms.
>
> Never get those, not had the flying ants for a few years, and this year
> I don't think many daddy long legses doing the face-bombing at night

Good point.
We always had flying ants who had nests in the same spots in the 'lawn'
for decades. I haven't seen them swarm for a couple of years & don't
remember seeing the nests.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Absailing spider time

<uolf6q$mcp1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28860&group=uk.rec.sheds#28860

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 10:14:49 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Mon, 22 Jan 2024 10:14 UTC

We still see the ants, sadly, but daddy long legs do not really worry me in
autumn. A few years ago we had Carpet Beetle invasion, with hundreds dead
all over the window sills in the house. I never did find where the grubs had
been munching.
Brian

--

--:
"Sam Plusnet" <not@home.com> wrote in message
> On 21-Jan-24 13:43, Tease'n'Seize wrote:
>> Brian Gaff wrote:
>>
>>> It seems to be the time of the year when those tiny spiders that live in
>>> cracks in the ceilings hatch out and drop loads of threads and abseil
>>> into
>>> the rooms.
>>
>> Never get those, not had the flying ants for a few years, and this year I
>> don't think many daddy long legses doing the face-bombing at night
>>
> Good point.
> We always had flying ants who had nests in the same spots in the 'lawn'
> for decades. I haven't seen them swarm for a couple of years & don't
> remember seeing the nests.
>
> --
> Sam Plusnet

Re: Absailing spider time

<XnsB1016CEB58527Factura3476@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28865&group=uk.rec.sheds#28865

From: mys...@prune.org.uk (Peter)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 10:42:16 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Peter - Mon, 22 Jan 2024 10:42 UTC

Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote in

> On 21-Jan-24 13:43, Tease'n'Seize wrote:
>> Brian Gaff wrote:
>>
>>> It seems to be the time of the year when those tiny spiders that
>>> live in cracks in the ceilings hatch out and drop loads of threads
>>> and abseil into
>>> the rooms.
>>
>> Never get those, not had the flying ants for a few years, and this
>> year I don't think many daddy long legses doing the face-bombing at
>> night
>>
> Good point.
> We always had flying ants who had nests in the same spots in the
> 'lawn' for decades. I haven't seen them swarm for a couple of years &
> don't remember seeing the nests.

We still get flying ant days, once or twice a year. They nest beneath the
patio and crawl out through the cracks. Normally a damp, perhaps thundery,
day in July following a hot period.

--
Peter
-----

Re: Absailing spider time

<uolipm$mv9r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28868&group=uk.rec.sheds#28868

From: fre...@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 11:16:06 +0000
 by: Abandoned Trolley - Mon, 22 Jan 2024 11:16 UTC

> We still get flying ant days, once or twice a year. They nest beneath the
> patio and crawl out through the cracks. Normally a damp, perhaps thundery,
> day in July following a hot period.

I get that too - but I have never seen any of them fly anywhere

Re: Absailing spider time

<SuXrzJAUVmrlFAG8@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28870&group=uk.rec.sheds#28870

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 12:53:40 +0000
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Mon, 22 Jan 2024 12:53 UTC

In article <uolipm$mv9r$1@dont-email.me>, Abandoned Trolley <fred@fred-
smith.co.uk> on Mon, 22 Jan 2024 at 11:16:06 awoke Nicholas from his
slumbers and wrote

>> We still get flying ant days, once or twice a year. They nest beneath the
>> patio and crawl out through the cracks. Normally a damp, perhaps thundery,
>> day in July following a hot period.
>>

>I get that too - but I have never seen any of them fly anywhere

They are very small, so difficult for us puny humans to see them
individually while they are in the air; on a good summer though, they
can be so numerous as to darken the sky. Mostly what you see around the
cracks are the workers who are seeing off the potential queens for next
year's colonies and the males, both of which are winged at this point.

What you will then see, spread around the countryside, are the dying
males, their raison d'être complete and the hopefully mated queens. The
queens tear off their wings and look for a suitable place to create a
new ants nest, for next year.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: Absailing spider time

<l1dn5cFn4alU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28994&group=uk.rec.sheds#28994

From: mik...@tauzero.co.uk (Mike Fleming)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 00:09:11 +0000
 by: Mike Fleming - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 00:09 UTC

On 21/01/2024 19:04, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 21-Jan-24 13:43, Tease'n'Seize wrote:
>> Brian Gaff wrote:
>>
>>> It seems to be the time of the year when those tiny spiders that live in
>>> cracks in the ceilings hatch out and drop loads of threads and abseil
>>> into
>>> the rooms.
>>
>> Never get those, not had the flying ants for a few years, and this
>> year I don't think many daddy long legses doing the face-bombing at night
>>
> Good point.
> We always had flying ants who had nests in the same spots in the 'lawn'
> for decades.  I haven't seen them swarm for a couple of years & don't
> remember seeing the nests.

We had flying ants last year but either the number of daddy-long-legs
has diminished or the cats are doing an excellent job of disposal.