Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2021 09:08:00 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Near Miss of the Day 633: Motorist impatient with cyclist waiting at
red light decides to go through it himself
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 7 Sep 2021 16:08 UTC

Obvious fake - never happens.

Everyone knows that all cyclists jump red lights – or at least, you could be forgiven for reaching that conclusion if your experience was limited to reading replies to Jeremy Vine’s social media threads, or the comments beneath local newspaper stories about people on bikes.

So here’s hoping (most likely in vain) that the latest video in our Near Miss of the Day series comes to the attention of people who post such generalised claptrap online.

We’ll let road.cc reader Andrew, who sent us the video, take up the story: “Not quite a near miss, but whilst out for a morning ride in Wells, Somerset, I stopped at a red light,” he said.

“This van came up behind me and the driver hooted at me because I didn't go through the obviously red traffic light.

“I turned and pointed out the obvious. He then decided to overtake me, going through an adjacent red traffic light settling once and for all the age-old debate over who really goes through red traffic lights.”

https://road.cc/content/news/nmotd-633-driver-impatient-cyclist-red-light-286171

Re: Near Miss of the Day 633: Motorist impatient with cyclist waiting at red light decides to go through it himself

<4f510d5f-753f-445a-9cf0-62dc48819b6an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2883&group=uk.rec.cycling#2883

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2021 09:45:29 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Near Miss of the Day 633: Motorist impatient with cyclist waiting
at red light decides to go through it himself
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 7 Sep 2021 16:45 UTC

On Tuesday, September 7, 2021 at 5:08:01 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
Awavey | 1952 posts | 25 min ago
0 likes

Guessing the sensor in the road doesnt pick up cyclists properly, or they stopped slightly too far forward of it but not far enough for the van to then trigger it.

Technically if you believe the light is flummoxed by you and you cant see its phasing on the other lights and it's safe to do so of course, you can ride through it.

Worst case if you still dont want to ride through it, just hop off walk around it,hop back on

> https://road.cc/content/news/nmotd-633-driver-impatient-cyclist-red-light-286171

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Near Miss of the Day 633: Motorist impatient with cyclist waiting at red light decides to go through it himself