From: individ...@spaced.me.uk (T i m)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Toshiba Satellite L75? BIOS update?
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 10:48:22 +0000
 by: T i m - Mon, 19 Dec 2022 10:48 UTC

I've asked on a laptop forum but I don't know how active it is and I
know there are some experience people here so ... ;-)

I have been given an old (but nice) Tosh laptop to play with and along
with adding some RAM and swapping the spinning drive for a SSD (and
fresh install of W10H) I generally like to update the BIOS but whenever
I've tried to find the right one (and cautious to not want to brick it),
I can't seem to find the right combo?

So I know it's a Toshiba Satellite and I think it's a L-750 -2* but the
info sticker is very worn and so I can't really make out the info. So in
some likely sites, if you type in L-750 or 5 it then doesn't link with
the next bit that looks like PSK6ME? In case it helps tie things up, the
start of the serial looks like 1C055206W.

Speccy tells me the current BIOS is V2.30 23/03/2011 (INSYDE)? and it's
running an i3 -380M CPU.

Cheers, T i m

Re: Toshiba Satellite L75? BIOS update?

<MPG.3e0a6bb33bce713e989a2f@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2893&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2893

From: PhillipH...@SlashDevNull.invalid (Philip Herlihy)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Toshiba Satellite L75? BIOS update?
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 12:38:43 -0000
 by: Philip Herlihy - Mon, 19 Dec 2022 12:38 UTC

In article <k0atroFt6hqU2@mid.individual.net>, T i m wrote...

> I've asked on a laptop forum but I don't know how active it is and I
> know there are some experience people here so ... ;-)
>
> I have been given an old (but nice) Tosh laptop to play with and along
> with adding some RAM and swapping the spinning drive for a SSD (and
> fresh install of W10H) I generally like to update the BIOS but whenever
> I've tried to find the right one (and cautious to not want to brick it),
> I can't seem to find the right combo?
>
> So I know it's a Toshiba Satellite and I think it's a L-750 -2* but the
> info sticker is very worn and so I can't really make out the info. So in
> some likely sites, if you type in L-750 or 5 it then doesn't link with
> the next bit that looks like PSK6ME? In case it helps tie things up, the
> start of the serial looks like 1C055206W.
>
> Speccy tells me the current BIOS is V2.30 23/03/2011 (INSYDE)? and it's
> running an i3 -380M CPU.
>
> Cheers, T i m

Maybe Windows can tell you? Look for "About" in Settings.
Or maybe Toshiba have an online diagnostic which can detect the model and
direct you to the right BIOS?
But if it ain't broke, why fix it?

--

Phil, London

Re: Toshiba Satellite L75? BIOS update?

<k0bc25FpuoU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2898&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2898

From: individ...@spaced.me.uk (T i m)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 14:50:43 +0000
 by: T i m - Mon, 19 Dec 2022 14:50 UTC

On 19/12/2022 12:38, Philip Herlihy wrote:
<snip>
> Maybe Windows can tell you? Look for "About" in Settings.

Noting of interest in there I'm afraid. ;-(

> Or maybe Toshiba have an online diagnostic which can detect the model and
> direct you to the right BIOS?

If it isn't clear and obvious exactly what I have in front of me, that's
my GoTo (and it's only caught me out when bricking a Thinkpad Mobo). ;-(

It's just that either there isn't such a ting for these Toshiba laptops
(especially since Toshiba pulled out of laptop manufacture) or I've not
found it yet.

> But if it ain't broke, why fix it?

Er=m, because I'm guessing they wouldn't have brought out later BIOS's
if it wasn't broke? ;-)

I get what you mean though, if it's working with what you have, why
change anything but that's already happened when the PO upgraded it to
W10 from the W7 it came with and often after updating the BIOS you find
new hardware appear, stuff that actually works better or you can use
later processors etc (as a browse though the overview for each BIOS
version will confirm). eg:

https://support.dynabook.com/support/viewContentDetail?contentId=3483311

So even though the latest firmware release might be as old as the
laptop, I generally try to bring them up to that because it seems
logical at least, even if it doesn't make an obvious difference. How
many of those 'funnies' could be down to a bug that was fixed 10 years
ago for example? <shrug>

That and the first thing any support person might ask is 'are you
running the latest f/w version'? ;-)

Cheers, T i m