Civilization is fun! Anyway, it keeps me busy!!

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: How does the modern railway view mainline steam?

SubjectAuthor
* How does the modern railway view mainline steam?Recliner
+* How does the modern railway view mainline steam?Tweed
> [...]
|||    `- How does the modern railway view mainline steam?Sam Wilson
||+- How does the modern railway view mainline steam?Roland Perry
||`* How does the modern railway view mainline steam?MB
|| +* How does the modern railway view mainline steam?Recliner
|| |+* How does the modern railway view mainline steam?Roland Perry
|| |`* How does the modern railway view mainline steam?Sam Wilson
|| | `* How does the modern railway view mainline steam?Recliner
|| |  `* How does the modern railway view mainline steam?Roland Perry
|| |   `* How does the modern railway view mainline steam?MB
|| |    +- How does the modern railway view mainline steam?Recliner
|| |    `- How does the modern railway view mainline steam?Anna Noyd-Dryver
|| `* How does the modern railway view mainline steam?Alan
||  `- How does the modern railway view mainline steam?Recliner
|`- How does the modern railway view mainline steam?Recliner
`* How does the modern railway view mainline steam?Roger Lynn
 `- How does the modern railway view mainline steam?Recliner

Pages:1234
How does the modern railway view mainline steam?

<t4kf8g$13q$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28864&group=uk.railway#28864

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: How does the modern railway view mainline steam?
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 23:03:44 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:odQBlG9jMLQbQwkWufpP1ITaFjU=
 by: Recliner - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 23:03 UTC

I've just returned from the Great Britain XIV, and wondered how the staff
in the modern railway view the 1930s museum pieces getting in the way of
the modern services? I get the impression thst the NR signallers and route
planners tolerate, but don't welcome, steam trains. They don't allow them
to get ahead of their very unambitious schedules, and platform staff
clearly don't like the photographers. We were also warned that drivers
report any instances they spot of cameras protruding out of charter train
windows.

Our vintage diesel and five museum piece steam locos worked very well,
with no problems.

Re: How does the modern railway view mainline steam?

<t4lbf0$cie$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28866&group=uk.railway#28866

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 07:05:04 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:SlD7dyFkmCDDv1vdsFi5iOSd8Iw=
 by: Tweed - Sun, 1 May 2022 07:05 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've just returned from the Great Britain XIV, and wondered how the staff
> in the modern railway view the 1930s museum pieces getting in the way of
> the modern services? I get the impression thst the NR signallers and route
> planners tolerate, but don't welcome, steam trains. They don't allow them
> to get ahead of their very unambitious schedules, and platform staff
> clearly don't like the photographers. We were also warned that drivers
> report any instances they spot of cameras protruding out of charter train
> windows.
>
> Our vintage diesel and five museum piece steam locos worked very well,
> with no problems.

Sounds to have been a lovely trip. Presumably you get a hotel room each
night?

Re: How does the modern railway view mainline steam?

<Z10zb7XvekbiFAbC@perry.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28870&group=uk.railway#28870

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 09:41:19 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Sun, 1 May 2022 08:41 UTC

In message <t4lbf0$cie$1@dont-email.me>, at 07:05:04 on Sun, 1 May 2022,
Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:
>Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've just returned from the Great Britain XIV, and wondered how the staff
>> in the modern railway view the 1930s museum pieces getting in the way of
>> the modern services? I get the impression thst the NR signallers and route
>> planners tolerate, but don't welcome, steam trains. They don't allow them
>> to get ahead of their very unambitious schedules, and platform staff
>> clearly don't like the photographers. We were also warned that drivers
>> report any instances they spot of cameras protruding out of charter train
>> windows.
>>
>> Our vintage diesel and five museum piece steam locos worked very well,
>> with no problems.
>
>Sounds to have been a lovely trip. Presumably you get a hotel room each
>night?

One hopes so, but a three (or was it four) day tour I looked at a couple
of years ago said guests had to make their own arrangements.

How many vacant B&B are there in Kyle of Lochalsh, for example?

The trip above mentions Bowness-on-Windermere (half an hour, and
numerous hotels) as the overnight accommodation for the stop at
Grange-over-Sands.
--
Roland Perry

Re: How does the modern railway view mainline steam?

<t4lhip$m2q$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28871&group=uk.railway#28871

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 08:49:29 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:+De+T8KM/NW8X6LN8A4YIcxv3cQ=
 by: Recliner - Sun, 1 May 2022 08:49 UTC

Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've just returned from the Great Britain XIV, and wondered how the staff
>> in the modern railway view the 1930s museum pieces getting in the way of
>> the modern services? I get the impression thst the NR signallers and route
>> planners tolerate, but don't welcome, steam trains. They don't allow them
>> to get ahead of their very unambitious schedules, and platform staff
>> clearly don't like the photographers. We were also warned that drivers
>> report any instances they spot of cameras protruding out of charter train
>> windows.
>>
>> Our vintage diesel and five museum piece steam locos worked very well,
>> with no problems.
>>

> Sounds to have been a lovely trip. Presumably you get a hotel room each
> night?

Yup, eight nights in six hotels (in Edinburgh, Inverness, Stirling,
Bowness-on-Windermere, Cardiff and Penzance/St Ives), with luggage
transferred behind the scenes, so it's waiting in your next hotel room when
you arrive. The hotels were generally close to the station, but coach
transfers were always available unless the hotel was within a few metres of
the station. Hotel check-ins and check-outs were very quick and efficient.
I believe they used around 25 hotels in all, for the two classes of
passenger and train staff.

Five kettles were used in all, plus a 47 that usually ran separately,
unless NR insisted that it be coupled on the back. Pairs of large water
tankers were used, leap-frogging each other so as to be ready and waiting
at the next water stop.

There were photographers/videographers all the way, and numerous videos are
now on-line:

https://youtu.be/NJW3US94owI

https://youtu.be/MJR8j37N-u8

https://youtu.be/YoxxJDwulGM

https://youtu.be/LGbirT1tSnU

https://youtu.be/o0aytEsRf5I

https://youtu.be/LADvJGLPMw0

Re: How does the modern railway view mainline steam?

<t4lhvq$p1t$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28872&group=uk.railway#28872

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 08:56:26 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:nHmopiiWZKg5vGgx69AipzO+vJw=
 by: Recliner - Sun, 1 May 2022 08:56 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <t4lbf0$cie$1@dont-email.me>, at 07:05:04 on Sun, 1 May 2022,
> Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:
>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I've just returned from the Great Britain XIV, and wondered how the staff
>>> in the modern railway view the 1930s museum pieces getting in the way of
>>> the modern services? I get the impression thst the NR signallers and route
>>> planners tolerate, but don't welcome, steam trains. They don't allow them
>>> to get ahead of their very unambitious schedules, and platform staff
>>> clearly don't like the photographers. We were also warned that drivers
>>> report any instances they spot of cameras protruding out of charter train
>>> windows.
>>>
>>> Our vintage diesel and five museum piece steam locos worked very well,
>>> with no problems.
>>
>> Sounds to have been a lovely trip. Presumably you get a hotel room each
>> night?
>
> One hopes so, but a three (or was it four) day tour I looked at a couple
> of years ago said guests had to make their own arrangements.

This is a much more luxurious tour.

> How many vacant B&B are there in Kyle of Lochalsh, for example?

You wouldn't have a night stop there. GB tours that go through there have
their night stops in Fort Bill and Inverness, both of whuch have ample
hotel accommodation.

> The trip above mentions Bowness-on-Windermere (half an hour, and
> numerous hotels) as the overnight accommodation for the stop at
> Grange-over-Sands.

Yes, that's right. Mine was in the MacDonald Old England Hotel & Spa, right
on the lake.

Re: How does the modern railway view mainline steam?

<amOD$tYGokbiFAbW@perry.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28873&group=uk.railway#28873

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 09:51:18 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Sun, 1 May 2022 08:51 UTC

In message <Z10zb7XvekbiFAbC@perry.uk>, at 09:41:19 on Sun, 1 May 2022,
Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> remarked:
>In message <t4lbf0$cie$1@dont-email.me>, at 07:05:04 on Sun, 1 May
>2022, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:
>>Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I've just returned from the Great Britain XIV, and wondered how the staff
>>> in the modern railway view the 1930s museum pieces getting in the way of
>>> the modern services? I get the impression thst the NR signallers and route
>>> planners tolerate, but don't welcome, steam trains. They don't allow them
>>> to get ahead of their very unambitious schedules, and platform staff
>>> clearly don't like the photographers. We were also warned that drivers
>>> report any instances they spot of cameras protruding out of charter train
>>> windows.
>>>
>>> Our vintage diesel and five museum piece steam locos worked very well,
>>> with no problems.
>>
>>Sounds to have been a lovely trip. Presumably you get a hotel room each
>>night?
>
>One hopes so, but a three (or was it four) day tour I looked at a
>couple of years ago said guests had to make their own arrangements.
>
>How many vacant B&B are there in Kyle of Lochalsh, for example?
>
>The trip above mentions Bowness-on-Windermere (half an hour, and
>numerous hotels) as the overnight accommodation for the stop at
>Grange-over-Sands.

Some more from the brochure:

First Class Price includes
Eight nights accommodation and breakfast in 3-star hotels.
Morning and afternoon tea service.
A daily light meal served at your seat.

For an extra £800, Premier: Eight nights accommodation and breakfast
(when not served on the train) in 3 and 4-star hotels.
6 breakfasts, 3 lunches and 6 dinners silver served at your seat
--
Roland Perry

Re: How does the modern railway view mainline steam?

<eWACTiZ9$kbiFA4o@perry.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28874&group=uk.railway#28874

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 10:16:45 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Sun, 1 May 2022 09:16 UTC

In message <t4lhvq$p1t$1@dont-email.me>, at 08:56:26 on Sun, 1 May 2022,
Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:

>> The trip above mentions Bowness-on-Windermere (half an hour, and
>> numerous hotels) as the overnight accommodation for the stop at
>> Grange-over-Sands.
>
>Yes, that's right. Mine was in the MacDonald Old England Hotel & Spa, right
>on the lake.

I stayed in one of those near Loch Lomond one Xmas. It was brilliant.

It was also the first place I became suspicious of "All local produce"
(see also NXEC etc) being used, because about half the stuff I would
only expect to find in a local cash-and-carry, not a farm.
--
Roland Perry

Re: How does the modern railway view mainline steam?

<t4lohq$97d$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28878&group=uk.railway#28878

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 11:48:25 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Sun, 1 May 2022 10:48 UTC

On 01/05/2022 10:16, Roland Perry wrote:
> In message <t4lhvq$p1t$1@dont-email.me>, at 08:56:26 on Sun, 1 May 2022,
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> The trip above mentions Bowness-on-Windermere (half an hour, and
>>> numerous hotels) as the overnight accommodation for the stop at
>>> Grange-over-Sands.
>>
>> Yes, that's right. Mine was in the MacDonald Old England Hotel & Spa,
>> right
>> on the lake.
>
> I stayed in one of those near Loch Lomond one Xmas. It was brilliant.
>
> It was also the first place I became suspicious of "All local produce"
> (see also NXEC etc) being used, because about half the stuff I would
> only expect to find in a local cash-and-carry, not a farm.

An "Old England" hotel in Scotland?

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: How does the modern railway view mainline steam?

<umct6hl5frd1d9po2a9hflk6fuuuetur47@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28891&group=uk.railway#28891

From: charlese...@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 01 May 2022 17:20:45 +0100
 by: Charles Ellson - Sun, 1 May 2022 16:20 UTC

On Sun, 1 May 2022 11:48:25 +0100, Graeme Wall
<rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>On 01/05/2022 10:16, Roland Perry wrote:
>> In message <t4lhvq$p1t$1@dont-email.me>, at 08:56:26 on Sun, 1 May 2022,
>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> Yes, that's right. Mine was in the MacDonald Old England Hotel & Spa,
>>> right
>>> on the lake.
>>
>> I stayed in one of those near Loch Lomond one Xmas. It was brilliant.
>>
>> It was also the first place I became suspicious of "All local produce"
>> (see also NXEC etc) being used, because about half the stuff I would
>> only expect to find in a local cash-and-carry, not a farm.
>
>An "Old England" hotel in Scotland?

Skye?

Re: How does the modern railway view mainline steam?

<t4mcal$4tc$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28892&group=uk.railway#28892

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 17:25:57 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Sun, 1 May 2022 16:25 UTC

?
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: How does the modern railway view mainline steam?

<n1et6hde8chl6cm7hs7jrc9908a8np3e9k@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28896&group=uk.railway#28896

From: charlese...@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 01 May 2022 17:41:45 +0100
 by: Charles Ellson - Sun, 1 May 2022 16:41 UTC

On Sun, 1 May 2022 17:25:57 +0100, Graeme Wall
<rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>On 01/05/2022 17:20, Charles Ellson wrote:
>> On Sun, 1 May 2022 11:48:25 +0100, Graeme Wall
>> <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>> An "Old England" hotel in Scotland?
>>>
>> Skye?
>
>?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/the-little-england-over-the-water-white-settlers-make-up-15-of-skye-s-population-1450967.html

Re: How does the modern railway view mainline steam?

<t44uYQffgrbiFAta@perry.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28898&group=uk.railway#28898

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 17:41:03 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Sun, 1 May 2022 16:41 UTC

In message <t4lohq$97d$1@dont-email.me>, at 11:48:25 on Sun, 1 May 2022,
Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> remarked:
>On 01/05/2022 10:16, Roland Perry wrote:
>> In message <t4lhvq$p1t$1@dont-email.me>, at 08:56:26 on Sun, 1 May
>>2022, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> Yes, that's right. Mine was in the MacDonald Old England Hotel &
>>>Spa, right on the lake.

>> I stayed in one of those near Loch Lomond one Xmas. It was
>>brilliant.

>> It was also the first place I became suspicious of "All local
>>produce" (see also NXEC etc) being used, because about half the stuff
>>I would only expect to find in a local cash-and-carry, not a farm.
>
>An "Old England" hotel in Scotland?

Macdonald being a famous Old English brand, presumably?

It's a chain of hotel/resorts, and the fairly consistent experience
comes from the parent company.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to discover that it was formerly known as
"The Old England Hotel", just like their one on the Thames was formerly
called "The Compleat Angler" (now the Macdonald Compleat Angler).
--
Roland Perry

Re: How does the modern railway view mainline steam?

<t4mekk$nl8$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28901&group=uk.railway#28901

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 18:05:24 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Sun, 1 May 2022 17:05 UTC

On 01/05/2022 17:41, Roland Perry wrote:
> In message <t4lohq$97d$1@dont-email.me>, at 11:48:25 on Sun, 1 May 2022,
> Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> remarked:
>> On 01/05/2022 10:16, Roland Perry wrote:
>>> In message <t4lhvq$p1t$1@dont-email.me>, at 08:56:26 on Sun, 1 May
>>> 2022,  Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:

>>>  I stayed in one of those near Loch Lomond one Xmas. It was brilliant.
>
>>>  It was also the first place I became suspicious of "All local
>>> produce"  (see also NXEC etc) being used, because about half the
>>> stuff I would  only expect to find in a local cash-and-carry, not a
>>> farm.
>>
>> An "Old England" hotel in Scotland?
>
> Macdonald being a famous Old English brand, presumably?
>
> It's a chain of hotel/resorts, and the fairly consistent experience
> comes from the parent company.
>
> I wouldn't be at all surprised to discover that it was formerly known as
> "The Old England Hotel", just like their one on the Thames was formerly
> called "The Compleat Angler" (now the Macdonald Compleat Angler).

Just struck me as an odd name for a hotel in Scotland.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: How does the modern railway view mainline steam?

<09ft6hd4urevik4a2ujqdrive7nofvj9ca@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28902&group=uk.railway#28902

From: charlese...@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 01 May 2022 18:07:59 +0100
 by: Charles Ellson - Sun, 1 May 2022 17:07 UTC

On Sun, 1 May 2022 17:41:03 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk>
wrote:

>In message <t4lohq$97d$1@dont-email.me>, at 11:48:25 on Sun, 1 May 2022,
>Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> remarked:
>>On 01/05/2022 10:16, Roland Perry wrote:
>>> In message <t4lhvq$p1t$1@dont-email.me>, at 08:56:26 on Sun, 1 May
>>>2022, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> I stayed in one of those near Loch Lomond one Xmas. It was
>>>brilliant.
>
>>> It was also the first place I became suspicious of "All local
>>>produce" (see also NXEC etc) being used, because about half the stuff
>>>I would only expect to find in a local cash-and-carry, not a farm.
>>
>>An "Old England" hotel in Scotland?
>
>Macdonald being a famous Old English brand, presumably?
>
>It's a chain of hotel/resorts, and the fairly consistent experience
>comes from the parent company.
>
>I wouldn't be at all surprised to discover that it was formerly known as
>"The Old England Hotel", just like their one on the Thames was formerly
>called "The Compleat Angler" (now the Macdonald Compleat Angler).

Correct.
https://imagelinkglobal.com/products/ILEA000635734/
[Bowness-on-Windermere, Boat Station and Old England Hotel 1893]
Like many other things, "Old" as in Victorian?

Re: How does the modern railway view mainline steam?

<6lft6h1rhg5499qmrvrlne5cen3sr11r4h@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28903&group=uk.railway#28903

From: charlese...@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 01 May 2022 18:09:24 +0100
 by: Charles Ellson - Sun, 1 May 2022 17:09 UTC

On Sun, 1 May 2022 18:05:24 +0100, Graeme Wall
<rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>On 01/05/2022 17:41, Roland Perry wrote:
>> In message <t4lohq$97d$1@dont-email.me>, at 11:48:25 on Sun, 1 May 2022,
>> Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> remarked:

>>> An "Old England" hotel in Scotland?
>>
>> Macdonald being a famous Old English brand, presumably?
>>
>> It's a chain of hotel/resorts, and the fairly consistent experience
>> comes from the parent company.
>>
>> I wouldn't be at all surprised to discover that it was formerly known as
>> "The Old England Hotel", just like their one on the Thames was formerly
>> called "The Compleat Angler" (now the Macdonald Compleat Angler).
>
>Just struck me as an odd name for a hotel in Scotland.

Bowness not Bo'ness. ;-)

Re: How does the modern railway view mainline steam?

<o0u2ki-mqb.ln1@castle.rilynn.me.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28907&group=uk.railway#28907

From: use...@rilynn.me.uk (Roger Lynn)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 18:52:56 +0100
 by: Roger Lynn - Sun, 1 May 2022 17:52 UTC

On 01/05/2022 00:03, Recliner wrote:
> I've just returned from the Great Britain XIV, and wondered how the staff
> in the modern railway view the 1930s museum pieces getting in the way of
> the modern services? I get the impression thst the NR signallers and route
> planners tolerate, but don't welcome, steam trains. They don't allow them
> to get ahead of their very unambitious schedules, and platform staff
> clearly don't like the photographers. We were also warned that drivers
> report any instances they spot of cameras protruding out of charter train
> windows.
>
> Our vintage diesel and five museum piece steam locos worked very well,
> with no problems.

Do you know why it was diverted away from the Berks & Hants yesterday? We
were lucky* to spot it in Wiltshire, and that wasn't the only diverted train
we noticed.

* Lucky because it wasn't supposed to be anywhere near us, and I happened to
notice the unusual workings on Realtime Trains, and we were going to be near
the railway at the appropriate time. We don't get many steam tours coming
this way.

Re: How does the modern railway view mainline steam?

<fhcyeZjOQtbiFAL+@perry.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28908&group=uk.railway#28908

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 19:40:14 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Sun, 1 May 2022 18:40 UTC

In message <09ft6hd4urevik4a2ujqdrive7nofvj9ca@4ax.com>, at 18:07:59 on
Sun, 1 May 2022, Charles Ellson <charlesellson@btinternet.com> remarked:
>On Sun, 1 May 2022 17:41:03 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk>
>wrote:
>
>>In message <t4lohq$97d$1@dont-email.me>, at 11:48:25 on Sun, 1 May 2022,
>>Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> remarked:

>>>An "Old England" hotel in Scotland?
>>
>>Macdonald being a famous Old English brand, presumably?
>>
>>It's a chain of hotel/resorts, and the fairly consistent experience
>>comes from the parent company.
>>
>>I wouldn't be at all surprised to discover that it was formerly known as
>>"The Old England Hotel", just like their one on the Thames was formerly
>>called "The Compleat Angler" (now the Macdonald Compleat Angler).
>>
>Correct.
>https://imagelinkglobal.com/products/ILEA000635734/
>[Bowness-on-Windermere, Boat Station and Old England Hotel 1893]
>Like many other things, "Old" as in Victorian?

"The Old England started life as a Georgian residence until the
first inn keeper, Thomas Ullock, opened the hotel in 1745. Since
then, the hotel has served as a stellar location for beautiful
weddings and professional business events."
--
Roland Perry

Re: How does the modern railway view mainline steam?

<dB2y27ikKtbiFAIT@perry.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28909&group=uk.railway#28909

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 19:34:12 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Sun, 1 May 2022 18:34 UTC

In message <t4mekk$nl8$1@dont-email.me>, at 18:05:24 on Sun, 1 May 2022,
Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> remarked:
>On 01/05/2022 17:41, Roland Perry wrote:
>> In message <t4lohq$97d$1@dont-email.me>, at 11:48:25 on Sun, 1 May
>>2022, Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> remarked:

>>> An "Old England" hotel in Scotland?

>> Macdonald being a famous Old English brand, presumably?
>> It's a chain of hotel/resorts, and the fairly consistent experience
>>comes from the parent company.

>> I wouldn't be at all surprised to discover that it was formerly
>>known as "The Old England Hotel", just like their one on the Thames
>>was formerly called "The Compleat Angler" (now the Macdonald Compleat
>>Angler).
>
>Just struck me as an odd name for a hotel in Scotland.

It isn't. It's the name of just one of their hotels, which is in the
Lake District on Recliner's recent railtour.

The one I stayed at had a completely different name different name
(apart from starting "Macdonald...")
--
Roland Perry

Re: How does the modern railway view mainline steam?

<t4mo3a$9pf$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28916&group=uk.railway#28916

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 20:46:50 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Sun, 1 May 2022 19:46 UTC

On 01/05/2022 19:34, Roland Perry wrote:
> In message <t4mekk$nl8$1@dont-email.me>, at 18:05:24 on Sun, 1 May 2022,
> Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> remarked:
>> On 01/05/2022 17:41, Roland Perry wrote:
>>> In message <t4lohq$97d$1@dont-email.me>, at 11:48:25 on Sun, 1 May
>>> 2022,  Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> remarked:

>>>  Macdonald being a famous Old English brand, presumably?
>>>  It's a chain of hotel/resorts, and the fairly consistent experience
>>> comes from the parent company.
>
>>>  I wouldn't be at all surprised to discover that it was formerly
>>> known as  "The Old England Hotel", just like their one on the Thames
>>> was formerly  called "The Compleat Angler" (now the Macdonald
>>> Compleat Angler).
>>
>> Just struck me as an odd name for a hotel in Scotland.
>
> It isn't. It's the name of just one of their hotels, which is in the
> Lake District on Recliner's recent railtour.
>
> The one I stayed at had a completely different name different name
> (apart from starting "Macdonald...")

Ah, hence my confusion.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: How does the modern railway view mainline steam?

<t4mpd1$kqe$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28917&group=uk.railway#28917

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 20:09:05 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:1FtFFGveKpKZ5IiZpX53dWIMg9s=
 by: Recliner - Sun, 1 May 2022 20:09 UTC

Roger Lynn <usenet@rilynn.me.uk> wrote:
> On 01/05/2022 00:03, Recliner wrote:
>> I've just returned from the Great Britain XIV, and wondered how the staff
>> in the modern railway view the 1930s museum pieces getting in the way of
>> the modern services? I get the impression thst the NR signallers and route
>> planners tolerate, but don't welcome, steam trains. They don't allow them
>> to get ahead of their very unambitious schedules, and platform staff
>> clearly don't like the photographers. We were also warned that drivers
>> report any instances they spot of cameras protruding out of charter train
>> windows.
>>
>> Our vintage diesel and five museum piece steam locos worked very well,
>> with no problems.
>
> Do you know why it was diverted away from the Berks & Hants yesterday? We
> were lucky* to spot it in Wiltshire, and that wasn't the only diverted train
> we noticed.

That change of route happened at least three weeks earlier, as it was in
the printed itinerary supplied. So, whatever the reason, it was well known
in advance.

> * Lucky because it wasn't supposed to be anywhere near us, and I happened to
> notice the unusual workings on Realtime Trains, and we were going to be near
> the railway at the appropriate time. We don't get many steam tours coming
> this way.

Re: How does the modern railway view mainline steam?

<t4mpf1$ld5$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28918&group=uk.railway#28918

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 20:10:09 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:BKlGfcpwLqybUO9ADsBL39cxWig=
 by: Recliner - Sun, 1 May 2022 20:10 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <t4mekk$nl8$1@dont-email.me>, at 18:05:24 on Sun, 1 May 2022,
> Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> remarked:
>> On 01/05/2022 17:41, Roland Perry wrote:
>>> In message <t4lohq$97d$1@dont-email.me>, at 11:48:25 on Sun, 1 May
>>> 2022, Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> remarked:

>>> Macdonald being a famous Old English brand, presumably?
>>> It's a chain of hotel/resorts, and the fairly consistent experience
>>> comes from the parent company.
>
>>> I wouldn't be at all surprised to discover that it was formerly
>>> known as "The Old England Hotel", just like their one on the Thames
>>> was formerly called "The Compleat Angler" (now the Macdonald Compleat
>>> Angler).
>>
>> Just struck me as an odd name for a hotel in Scotland.
>
> It isn't. It's the name of just one of their hotels, which is in the
> Lake District on Recliner's recent railtour.
>
> The one I stayed at had a completely different name different name
> (apart from starting "Macdonald...")

Yes, perhaps it was the Macdonald Forest Hills Resort in The Trossachs?

Re: How does the modern railway view mainline steam?

<t4mqtb$tj$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28920&group=uk.railway#28920

From: ukr...@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 20:34:51 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:YjkiV1vFkhU0tzuW8udhfRyt/sc=
 by: Sam Wilson - Sun, 1 May 2022 20:34 UTC

Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On 01/05/2022 10:16, Roland Perry wrote:
>> In message <t4lhvq$p1t$1@dont-email.me>, at 08:56:26 on Sun, 1 May 2022,
>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> Yes, that's right. Mine was in the MacDonald Old England Hotel & Spa,
>>> right
>>> on the lake.
>>
>> I stayed in one of those near Loch Lomond one Xmas. It was brilliant.
>>
>> It was also the first place I became suspicious of "All local produce"
>> (see also NXEC etc) being used, because about half the stuff I would
>> only expect to find in a local cash-and-carry, not a farm.
>
> An "Old England" hotel in Scotland?

I think that particular one, probably on Loch Ard, is just a MacDonald
without being notably English.

We got rid of the North British, though.

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: How does the modern railway view mainline steam?

<t4mrrl$816$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28921&group=uk.railway#28921

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 20:51:01 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:AnRiJeL5mlNACdxlUi2RG98lOiY=
 by: Recliner - Sun, 1 May 2022 20:51 UTC

Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On 01/05/2022 19:34, Roland Perry wrote:
>> In message <t4mekk$nl8$1@dont-email.me>, at 18:05:24 on Sun, 1 May 2022,
>> Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> remarked:

>>> Just struck me as an odd name for a hotel in Scotland.
>>
>> It isn't. It's the name of just one of their hotels, which is in the
>> Lake District on Recliner's recent railtour.
>>
>> The one I stayed at had a completely different name different name
>> (apart from starting "Macdonald...")
>
> Ah, hence my confusion.

MacDonald operates an upmarket chain of hotels, each retaining its own
name, reflecting its history, but usually prefixed by 'MacDonald'. It's a
brand, like Intercontinental or Sheraton.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macdonald_Hotels

The Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa Ascot, Nr Windsor
Macdonald Highlands Hotel Aviemore
Macdonald Norwood Hall Hotel Aberdeen
Macdonald Aviemore Hotel Aviemore
Macdonald Morlich Hotel Aviemore
Macdonald Highland Lodges Aviemore
Macdonald Bath Spa Bath
Macdonald Burlington Hotel Birmingham
Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa Camberley
Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf & Spa Cheshire
The Lymm Hotel Cheshire
Macdonald New Blossoms Hotel Chester
Macdonald Hill Valley Spa, Hotel & Golf Whitchurch
Macdonald Holyrood Hotel Edinburgh
Macdonald Houstoun House Uphall, Nr Livingston
Macdonald Crutherland House East Kilbride
Macdonald Inchyra Hotel & Spa Central Scotland
Swan Hotel Grasmere
Macdonald Drumossie Hotel Inverness
Macdonald Loch Rannoch Hotel & Resort Kinloch Rannoch
Macdonald Compleat Angler Hotel Marlow
Macdonald Marine Hotel & Spa North Berwick
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Resort Nr Aberfoyle
Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel Nr Chester
Macdonald Pittodrie Hotel Nr Aberdeen
Macdonald Linden Hall, Golf & Country Club Nr Morpeth
Macdonald Manchester Hotel Manchester
Macdonald Botley Park Hotel, Golf & Spa Nr Southampton
Macdonald Cardrona Hotel, Golf & Spa Peebles Nr Edinburgh
Macdonald Tickled Trout Hotel Preston
Macdonald Alveston Manor Hotel Stratford-upon-Avon
Macdonald Swan's Nest Hotel Stratford-upon-Avon
Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort The New Forest
Macdonald Leeming House Ullswater
Macdonald Ansty Hall Warwickshire
Macdonald Kilhey Court Hotel & Spa Wigan
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa Windermere
Macdonald Windsor Hotel Windsor
Macdonald Bear Hotel Woodstock

Re: How does the modern railway view mainline steam?

<a8ot6hh04soias58snbr057j42npn60qn4@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28922&group=uk.railway#28922

From: charlese...@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 01 May 2022 22:52:11 +0100
 by: Charles Ellson - Sun, 1 May 2022 21:52 UTC

On Sun, 1 May 2022 19:40:14 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk>
wrote:

>In message <09ft6hd4urevik4a2ujqdrive7nofvj9ca@4ax.com>, at 18:07:59 on
>Sun, 1 May 2022, Charles Ellson <charlesellson@btinternet.com> remarked:
>>On Sun, 1 May 2022 17:41:03 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>In message <t4lohq$97d$1@dont-email.me>, at 11:48:25 on Sun, 1 May 2022,
>>>Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> remarked:

>>>Macdonald being a famous Old English brand, presumably?
>>>
>>>It's a chain of hotel/resorts, and the fairly consistent experience
>>>comes from the parent company.
>>>
>>>I wouldn't be at all surprised to discover that it was formerly known as
>>>"The Old England Hotel", just like their one on the Thames was formerly
>>>called "The Compleat Angler" (now the Macdonald Compleat Angler).
>>>
>>Correct.
>>https://imagelinkglobal.com/products/ILEA000635734/
>>[Bowness-on-Windermere, Boat Station and Old England Hotel 1893]
>>Like many other things, "Old" as in Victorian?
>
> "The Old England started life as a Georgian residence until the
> first inn keeper, Thomas Ullock, opened the hotel in 1745. Since
> then, the hotel has served as a stellar location for beautiful
> weddings and professional business events."

Trigger's Broom?

"Good examples of large 19th century mansions and purpose-built
hotels, located to take advantage of views over Windermere, e.g. The
Old England,....."
"The opening of the Kendal to Windermere railway line in 1847 was the
catalyst for an expansion of the town [......] By the end of the 19th
century over 100 lodging houses had been built and a further three
large hotels created –The Belsfield, The Hydro and The Old England."
"The Belsfield Hotel, The Hydro Hotel and The Old England Hotel are
19th century hotels, all listed grade II."
[https://studylib.net/doc/7400332/bowness-conservation-area-appraisal-and-management-plan]

Re: How does the modern railway view mainline steam?

<t4nsb4$ekd$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28924&group=uk.railway#28924

From: MB...@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 07:05:25 +0100
 by: MB - Mon, 2 May 2022 06:05 UTC

On 01/05/2022 09:41, Roland Perry wrote:
> One hopes so, but a three (or was it four) day tour I looked at a couple
> of years ago said guests had to make their own arrangements.
>
> How many vacant B&B are there in Kyle of Lochalsh, for example?
>
> The trip above mentions Bowness-on-Windermere (half an hour, and
> numerous hotels) as the overnight accommodation for the stop at
> Grange-over-Sands.

With Kyle having a quick big old hotel, I am surprised the organisers
did not make a block booking at the hotel but I suppose some people are
on tight budgets.