Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 05:47:36 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Man charged after death of Team GB triathlete following bike collision
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 12:47 UTC

A man has been charged in relation to the death of Team GB triathlete Rebecca Comins after a van collided with her bike in June 2022.

Comins, 52, died after the crash which happened as she cycled along the A40 near Raglan in Wales on 2 June. Now, Vasile Barbu, 48, has been charged with causing her death by dangerous driving.

Barbu did not enter a plea as he appeared at Newport Magistrates' Court, with the case being adjourned until 21 August. He has been granted unconditional bail.

Comins represented Great Britain in both European and World Championships during her career. She came ninth in the 2018 Tartu ETU Triathlon European Championships before a 30th place finish at the 2019 ITU World Triathlon Grand Final Lausanne.

Her family posted a touching tribute to the triathlete following her death and asked for time to grieve. In a statement, they said: “Our beautiful Rebecca was taken from us on Thursday, June 2, doing something she loved.

“She was a caring and loving wife to Stephen and an amazing mum to both George and Millie. We ask people to respect our privacy at this sad time and allow us to grieve as a family.”

Comins was a multiple Ironman Wales finisher and as well as being part of Team GB, she represented Dragon Tri Club, Newport Phoenix Cycling Club and Caldicot Running Club. Welsh Triathlon added their own tribute to the 52-year-old.

Becky was a fierce competitor, but with it had a positivity and energy that was infectious. She loved the sport, she loved the training and Becky was central to any social activities across her clubs," they said in a statement.

“Becky will be sadly missed by everyone within our triathlon community and we extend our deepest sympathies to Becky’s family, Steve, George and Millie and her wider friends at this sad time."

As well as competing in triathlons, Comins also worked with Caldicot RFC. And in their tribute, the club said they were "saddened" to hear of her loss..

"The committee, players and members of Caldicot RFC are saddened to hear of the tragic loss of Rebecca Comins," the club said.

"Becky made a huge contribution to the club as our first team sports masseur and first aider. Our condolences and best wishes are extended to Steve, George, Millie and family."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/athletics/rebecca-comins-death-man-charged-30573843