Workers of the world, arise! You have nothing to lose but your chairs.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Brexit blamed as London-Paris organisers say next year’s edition will be the last

SubjectAuthor
* Brexit blamed as London-Paris organisers say next yeswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Brexit blamed as London-Paris organisers say next yJNugent
+* Re: Brexit blamed as London-Paris organisers say nexswldx...@gmail.com
|+* Re: Brexit blamed as London-Paris organisers say nexswldx...@gmail.com
||`- Re: Brexit blamed as London-Paris organisers say next yJNugent
|`- Re: Brexit blamed as London-Paris organisers say next yJNugent
+* Re: Brexit blamed as London-Paris organisers say nexswldx...@gmail.com
|`* Re: Brexit blamed as London-Paris organisers say nexswldx...@gmail.com
| +- Re: Brexit blamed as London-ParisSpike
| `* Re: Brexit blamed as London-Paris organisers say nexswldx...@gmail.com
|  `* Re: Brexit blamed as London-ParisSpike
|   `* Re: Brexit blamed as London-Paris organisers say nex tJNugent
|    `* Re: Brexit blamed as London-ParisSpike
|     `* Re: Brexit blamed as London-Paris organisers say nex tJNugent
|      `- Re: Brexit blamed as London-ParisSpike
`* Re: Brexit blamed as London-Paris organisers say nexswldx...@gmail.com
 `* Re: Brexit blamed as London-Paris organisers say nexswldx...@gmail.com
  +- Re: Brexit blamed as London-ParisSpike
  `- Re: Brexit blamed as London-Paris organisers say next year’s edition will be theswldx...@gmail.com

1
Brexit blamed as London-Paris organisers say next year’s edition will be the last

<ca32cc92-ba6b-45fe-9939-b411730f2390n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28978&group=uk.rec.cycling#28978

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 10:26:16 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Brexit_blamed_as_London-Paris_organisers_say_next_ye
ar’s_edition_will_be_the_last
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 17:26 UTC

Next year’s 20th anniversary edition of London-Paris, the three-day ride that features on many cyclists’ bucket list, will be the last in the current format, with organisers blaming the decision in large part on increased costs and logistical headaches in the wake of Brexit.

On the event’s website (link is external), organisers Hotchillee invite would-be participants to join them “one more time” next June for the iconic event, which covers 520km between the British and French capitals.

While other organised London to Paris rides are available, and many people choose to cycle the route independently, what has set the Hotchillee event apart over the years are its sheer scale – 350 cyclists, supported by more than 100 event crew, are expected next year – as well as the availability of rolling road closures on the French leg and a police motorbike escort into Paris.

In recent years, the status of the event has also been enhanced by Hotchillee’s partnership with ASO, with the event finishing the day before the Tour de France’s traditional Champs-Elysees finish, although that will not be the case next year with the Grand Tour finishing in Nice as Paris prepares to host the Olympic and Paralympic Games.

And while organisers cite issues such as problems securing road closures and the event’s carbon footprint as also being factors behind the decision to bring it to an end, it seems clear that the red tape that impacts movement of goods and people between the UK and the EU – a problem also highlighted by British musicians who now have to account for all their equipment when heading to the continent on tour – is the primary stumbling block, and one that proves insurmountable.

According to Cyclingnews.com (link is external), organisers say that the total value of bikes used by people participating in the event last year was £1.7 million, and due to customs changes following Brexit, a carnet for the entire fleet has to be completed to avoid import duties from being applied to each individual bicycle.

No such paperwork was required while the UK remained within the customs union, and the additional costs – plus the prospect of bikes being held at the border if for whatever reason the documentation was unacceptable to customs officials – mean that it is impossible for the event to continue in its current format.

In a statement on its website, Hotchillee said (link is external): “Wanting to offer a more sustainable experience for their riders, the increasing challenge of closing roads and securing permissions for race sections, combined with the ever growing complications of Brexit, Hotchillee’s 20th anniversary edition will be the last in the current format.

The company’s founder, Sven Thiele, added: “We, the organisers, crew and riders have enjoyed so many years of inspirational London-Paris experiences.

“For two decades we’ve supported riders with rolling closed roads, mechanical, medical, lead car, motorbike outrider and logistical vehicle support. In recent years we’ve been making some small but significant changes as we move toward a greener future.

“We will use this as an opportunity to celebrate 20 years of a wonderful event in an exciting format that has allowed us to expand our global family far beyond what I dreamt of in the early days.”

Places for the event, costing from £1,950 and including three nights’ 3- or 4-star accommodation, are available through the Hotchillee website (link is external), and the company says that it will continue to offer the Gravel version of the ride (link is external), the route of which mainly comprises off-road sections, and takes place next year from 19-22 September.

https://road.cc/content/news/brexit-blamed-london-paris-ride-set-end-next-year-302871

Re: Brexit blamed as London-Paris organisers say next year’s edition will be the last

<kil2efFas5mU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28980&group=uk.rec.cycling#28980

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re:_Brexit_blamed_as_London-Paris_organisers_say_next_y
ear’s_edition_will_be_the_last
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 19:00:47 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 18:00 UTC

> Next year’s 20th anniversary edition of London-Paris, the three-day ride that features on many chav-cyclists’ bucket list, will be the last in the current format, with organisers blaming the decision in large part on increased costs and logistical headaches in the wake of Brexit.

And despite that good news, there are still some idiots who say the UK's
regaining of its independence was a Bad Thing.

[ ... ]

> https://road.cc/content/news/brexit-blamed-london-paris-ride-set-end-next-year-302871

Ah... the loonies...

Re: Brexit blamed as London-Paris organisers say next year’s edition will be the last

<8e3eac45-6afd-468e-8215-f4b3c0decbb3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28982&group=uk.rec.cycling#28982

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 11:33:55 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re:_Brexit_blamed_as_London-Paris_organisers_say_nex
t_year’s_edition_will_be_the_last
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 18:33 UTC

QUOTE: According to Cyclingnews.com (link is external), organisers say that the total value of bikes used by people participating in the event last year was £1.7 million, and due to customs changes following Brexit, a carnet for the entire fleet has to be completed to avoid import duties from being applied to each individual bicycle.

No such paperwork was required while the UK remained within the customs union, and the additional costs – plus the prospect of bikes being held at the border if for whatever reason the documentation was unacceptable to customs officials – mean that it is impossible for the event to continue in its current format. ENDS

What happened to all of the promises that the single market would still be in force?
Yet another lie?

Re: Brexit blamed as London-Paris organisers say next year’s edition will be the last

<064e8d39-651a-4580-ac26-62d67cfec9e2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28984&group=uk.rec.cycling#28984

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 11:39:49 -0700 (PDT)
t_year’s_edition_will_be_the_last
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 18:39 UTC

London to Paris - the hard way
Run 87 miles - Swim the English Channel - Cycle 181 miles

IS STILL ON.

https://enduroman.com/

Re: Brexit blamed as London-Paris organisers say next year’s edition will be the last

<41d22b0a-fd0d-4004-a554-1305ae23cfd9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28985&group=uk.rec.cycling#28985

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 12:32:14 -0700 (PDT)
t_year’s_edition_will_be_the_last
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 19:32 UTC

Pissing on their own bonfire! :
A famous annual car event from London to Brighton could take place for the last time this year with organisers blaming the 2023 expansion of the capital’s Ultra Low Emission Zone.

The London to Brighton Mini Run takes place every spring and sees more than 2,000 owners of the iconic British car travel the 45-mile journey in convoy.

The run started in 1986 attracting 220 cars and has grown to attract more than 2,000 Mini Cooper enthusiasts.

In 2022, the start point for the event was moved from Crystal Palace Park to Cheam Recreation Ground.

The park is outside of the current ULEZ area but from August 29 the zone, which charges the most polluting cars £12.50 a day, will cover the whole of London.

A post from the organisers on Facebook reads: “If it’s always been on your bucket list of things to do one year, then I’d recommend getting a ticket for this year, or you may miss the amazing experience.

“Sadly I have to announce this is probably going to be the last London to Brighton Mini Run due to the extension of the ULEZ.”

The ULEZ charge applies to cars which do not meet emissions standards, usually meaning petrol cars made before 2006 and diesel vehicles made before 2015 will be affected.

There is an exemption for some classic cars from the charge. These are cars which are registered under the historic tax class, this is available for cars built before 1979.

The ultra low emission zone is being expanded with the aim of combating pollution, the climate emergency and congestion.

However, Sutton Council, the borough which covers Cheam Recreation Ground, has come out against the expansion saying it will cut people off from their families and work.

Councillor Barry Lewis, chair of Sutton Council’s environment and sustainable transport committee, said: “This is the wrong decision at this time. Mayor Khan is leaving Londoners high and dry by ignoring Sutton Council, residents and businesses in the ULEZ consultation. His short-sighted expansion of the scheme will cut the people of Sutton off from work, family and security.

“Sutton is proud to be one of London’s most sustainable boroughs. But expanding ULEZ at this time without good bus and train services to outer London boroughs will only isolate people.”

Re: Brexit blamed as London-Paris organisers say next year’s edition will be the last

<kiljrbFdi1fU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28986&group=uk.rec.cycling#28986

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
ear’s_edition_will_be_the_last
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 23:57:47 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 22:57 UTC

> QUOTE: According to Cyclingnews.com (link is external), organisers say that the total value of bikes used by people participating in the event last year was £1.7 million, and due to customs changes following Brexit, a carnet for the entire fleet has to be completed to avoid import duties from being applied to each individual bicycle.
>
> No such paperwork was required while the UK remained within the customs union, and the additional costs – plus the prospect of bikes being held at the border if for whatever reason the documentation was unacceptable to customs officials – mean that it is impossible for the event to continue in its current format. ENDS
>
> What happened to all of the promises that the single market would still be in force?
> Yet another lie?

Win/win?

Or even, as the case now may be, win/lose?

In this case, who cares?

Except to rejoice at the discontinuance of racing on the highway, I mean.

Re: Brexit blamed as London-Paris organisers say next year’s edition will be the last

<kiljseFdi1fU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28987&group=uk.rec.cycling#28987

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
ear’s_edition_will_be_the_last
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 23:58:23 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sat, 29 Jul 2023 22:58 UTC

> London to Paris - the hard way
> Run 87 miles - Swim the English Channel - Cycle 181 miles
>
> IS STILL ON.
>
> https://enduroman.com/

Do let us know when you've completed it, won't you?

Re: Brexit blamed as London-Paris organisers say next year’s edition will be the last

<e77b7cf6-b9a2-49d6-a9c7-a6751f98cab2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28989&group=uk.rec.cycling#28989

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2023 23:09:51 -0700 (PDT)
t_year’s_edition_will_be_the_last
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 30 Jul 2023 06:09 UTC

QUOTE:
“Sadly I have to announce this is probably going to be the last London to Brighton Mini Run due to the extension of the ULEZ.” ENDS

Yes - what a shame you can't spew out your toxic fumes into the air that we breathe - what an imposition.

Re: Brexit blamed as London-Paris organisers say nex t year’s edition will be the last

<kimmnqFioa6U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28992&group=uk.rec.cycling#28992

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Brexit blamed as London-Paris
Date: 30 Jul 2023 08:53:14 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 30 Jul 2023 08:53 UTC

> QUOTE:
> “Sadly I have to announce this is probably going to be the last London to
> Brighton Mini Run due to the extension of the ULEZ.” ENDS
>
> Yes - what a shame you can't spew out your toxic fumes into the air that
> we breathe - what an imposition.

You have a car. It’s use spews toxic air - whether that is at local or
national level is immaterial.

Over 70% of UK electricity was produced from oil and gas last year, so even
if your spewer is an EV, it still causes toxic fumes to be spewed. Aren’t
you ashamed of yourself?

--
Spike

Re: Brexit blamed as London-Paris organisers say next year’s edition will be the last

<b1e65046-4383-4857-89ef-2491bfa6bf81n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28994&group=uk.rec.cycling#28994

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2023 03:31:08 -0700 (PDT)
t_year’s_edition_will_be_the_last
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 30 Jul 2023 10:31 UTC

On Sunday, July 30, 2023 at 7:09:53 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> QUOTE:
> “Sadly I have to announce this is probably going to be the last London to Brighton Mini Run due to the extension of the ULEZ.” ENDS
>
> Yes - what a shame you can't spew out your toxic fumes into the air that we breathe - what an imposition.

QUOTE: Does Brighton have good air quality?

The air quality is generally acceptable for most individuals. However, sensitive groups may experience minor to moderate symptoms from long-term exposure. ENDS

All the better for you lot staying away then.

Re: Brexit blamed as London-Paris organisers say nex t year’s edition will be the last

<kimtnrFjraiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28995&group=uk.rec.cycling#28995

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 30 Jul 2023 10:52:43 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 30 Jul 2023 10:52 UTC

> On Sunday, July 30, 2023 at 7:09:53 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>> QUOTE:
>> “Sadly I have to announce this is probably going to be the last London
>> to Brighton Mini Run due to the extension of the ULEZ.” ENDS
>>
>> Yes - what a shame you can't spew out your toxic fumes into the air that
>> we breathe - what an imposition.
>
> QUOTE: Does Brighton have good air quality?
>
> The air quality is generally acceptable for most individuals. However,
> sensitive groups may experience minor to moderate symptoms from long-term exposure. ENDS
>
> All the better for you lot staying away then.

I recall some bicycle ride or other last year from London to Brighton to
‘…get out of the polluted air of London and enjoy the fresh air of
Brighton’, the only snag being the air there that day being more polluted
than London’s!

Bicyclists, eh, not the brightest of sparks.

--
Spike

Re: Brexit blamed as London-Paris organisers say nex t year’s edition will be the last

<kimuoaFjv6rU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28997&group=uk.rec.cycling#28997

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re:_Brexit_blamed_as_London-Paris_organisers_say_nex_t_
year’s_edition_will_be_the_last
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2023 12:10:02 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sun, 30 Jul 2023 11:10 UTC

[pretending to answer only his own posts, said:]

>> On Sunday, July 30, 2023 at 7:09:53 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com [the Chief Chav] wrote:

>>> QUOTE:
>>> “Sadly I have to announce this is probably going to be the last London
>>> to Brighton Mini Run due to the extension of the ULEZ.” ENDS
>>>
>>> Yes - what a shame you can't spew out your toxic fumes into the air that
>>> we breathe - what an imposition.
>>
>> QUOTE: Does Brighton have good air quality?
>>
>> The air quality is generally acceptable for most individuals. However,
>> sensitive groups may experience minor to moderate symptoms from long-term exposure. ENDS
>>
>> All the better for you lot staying away then.
>
> I recall some bicycle ride or other last year from London to Brighton to
> ‘…get out of the polluted air of London and enjoy the fresh air of
> Brighton’, the only snag being the air there that day being more polluted
> than London’s!
>
> Bicyclists, eh, not the brightest of sparks.

As bad as Brighton is these days (hardly the Grand lady of British
holiday resorts), I find it hard to believe that the place - adjacent,
one must bear in mind, to the English Channel - has any serious
atmospheric pollution.

Re: Brexit blamed as London-Paris organisers say next year’s edition will be the last

<fd53600a-3654-4ea3-97cb-ad2a30f237a1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28999&group=uk.rec.cycling#28999

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2023 05:28:26 -0700 (PDT)
t_year’s_edition_will_be_the_last
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 30 Jul 2023 12:28 UTC

QUOTE: A problem also highlighted by British musicians who now have to account for all their equipment when heading to the continent on tour – is the primary stumbling block, and one that proves insurmountable. ENDS
----------------------------
Night after night, the Beatles honed their harmonies in the clubs of Hamburg.

But now, British bands trying to fine-tune their sound by playing in Europe are struggling to make ends meet – or giving up entirely – because of the barriers created by Brexit, a charity for musicians has said.

Walt Disco, an up-and-coming goth-glam band from Glasgow, have told of the near farcical barriers they faced on a recent tour taking in gigs in Ireland and the Netherlands.

The first challenge was to complete the customs forms to get an ATA carnet, or instruments passport, to get a waiver for their van at border control.

For Walt Disco’s lead singer, Jocelyn Si, 24, this meant buying their first bathroom scales and weighing themselves with and without each instrument to notify customs of the weight of their temporary exports.

The next challenge, on arrival in Belfast, was to work out how to get clearance to travel across the border into the EU and on to Dublin.

“You think you get off the ferry and all you have to do is hand over the paperwork. But no … you have to find the customs area, which isn’t in the ferry port. You have to drive around Belfast to find it,” said their manager Hamish Fingland, a reference to the lack of implementation of the Northern Ireland protocol.

After their gig in Dublin they took a ferry back via the UK to go to the continent, but had to take a more expensive “freight” route as their equipment was now a declarable item.

In Schiphol airport in Amsterdam there was similar confusion as they left for a further gig in Texas.

“We allowed ourselves three hours so we could go to customs on each side of the airport, well in advance of a show, but it was so hard to find anybody in the airport who knew where we were to go. We’d go to one customs bit and they’d say, ‘No, you need to go to the other end of the airport,’” said Si.

At £570, the ATA carnet for the instruments eats into the marginal income small bands look forward to in a world that is already proving more expensive because of the price of petrol.

Live performances can account for 90%-95% of a band’s income, according to Help Musicians, but Brexit has cut into one of their most important revenue streams, restricting them to £1,000 worth of merchandise before they get into a higher taxable bracket.

For Walt Disco this is not good, equating to just 50 vinyl records at £20 each, a fraction of what they would hope to sell after a performance to a typical 500-strong crowd.

“Genuinely we were getting to the stage where you’re thinking, ‘Is it worth going to that place to play at the moment?’” said Fingland.

“This is about careers. It’s not about a selling a box of spanners into the EU. It’s about whether careers in music can be sustained for 10, 20, 40 years.”

Walt Disco’s experience was typical for small bands trying to forge their careers with EU tours in 2022, said James Ainscough, the chief executive of Help Musicians, which established a £250,000 fund this spring to help young musicians deal with Brexit.

“The time the Beatles spent performing in Hamburg before their record contract was formative to their sound,” said Ainscough. “It’s where they learned their harmonies and learned how to play incredibly tightly and come together as a band. You only get that from the act of performing live frequently and seeing what works and what doesn’t before a crowd.

“The barriers Brexit has put up means these types of careers are being held back, possibly even curtailed as some musicians will give up.

“Most musicians are freelancers. They are small businesses. They’re exactly the kind of people that the Conservative party ought to be cherishing. These are people who, in Norman Tebbit’s terminology, got on their bikes and went off and found work.

“One of the cool things they ought to do is take the shackles off the music industry and allow UK music to get back to the global stage.”

Si has another view: “They probably know that musicians and creative people are not Conservative voters. Why would they appease us? From a Scottish perspective, a lot of Scottish musicians can’t wait to vote for independence because that feels like our only way back to the EU.”

Re: Brexit blamed as London-Paris organisers say nex t year’s edition will be the last

<kin9fjFlkjrU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29005&group=uk.rec.cycling#29005

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 30 Jul 2023 14:13:07 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 30 Jul 2023 14:13 UTC

JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:
> On 30/07/2023 11:52 am, Spike wrote:
>
>> swldx...@gmail.com <swldxer1958@gmail.com> [the Chief Chav] wrote:
>
> [pretending to answer only his own posts, said:]

>>> QUOTE: Does Brighton have good air quality?
>>>
>>> The air quality is generally acceptable for most individuals. However,
>>> sensitive groups may experience minor to moderate symptoms from long-term exposure. ENDS
>>>
>>> All the better for you lot staying away then.
>>
>> I recall some bicycle ride or other last year from London to Brighton to
>> ‘…get out of the polluted air of London and enjoy the fresh air of
>> Brighton’, the only snag being the air there that day being more polluted
>> than London’s!
>>
>> Bicyclists, eh, not the brightest of sparks.
>
> As bad as Brighton is these days (hardly the Grand lady of British
> holiday resorts), I find it hard to believe that the place - adjacent,
> one must bear in mind, to the English Channel - has any serious
> atmospheric pollution.

It was one of those days when The Wind Was In From Africa and bringing
pollution from Europe, which happens now and then.

--
Spike

Re: Brexit blamed as London-Paris organisers say nex t year’s edition will be the last

<kinchtFm1lgU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29006&group=uk.rec.cycling#29006

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
year’s_edition_will_be_the_last
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2023 16:05:33 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sun, 30 Jul 2023 15:05 UTC

On 30/07/2023 03:13 pm, Spike wrote:
> JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:
>> On 30/07/2023 11:52 am, Spike wrote:
>>
>>> swldx...@gmail.com <swldxer1958@gmail.com> [the Chief Chav] wrote:

>>> I recall some bicycle ride or other last year from London to Brighton to
>>> ‘…get out of the polluted air of London and enjoy the fresh air of
>>> Brighton’, the only snag being the air there that day being more polluted
>>> than London’s!
>>>
>>> Bicyclists, eh, not the brightest of sparks.
>>
>> As bad as Brighton is these days (hardly the Grand lady of British
>> holiday resorts), I find it hard to believe that the place - adjacent,
>> one must bear in mind, to the English Channel - has any serious
>> atmospheric pollution.
>
> It was one of those days when The Wind Was In From Africa and bringing
> pollution from Europe, which happens now and then.

It can't last long, even when it happens.

Re: Brexit blamed as London-Paris organisers say nex t year’s edition will be the last

<kind3bFm6d6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29007&group=uk.rec.cycling#29007

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 30 Jul 2023 15:14:51 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 30 Jul 2023 15:14 UTC

JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:
> On 30/07/2023 03:13 pm, Spike wrote:
>> JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:

>>> As bad as Brighton is these days (hardly the Grand lady of British
>>> holiday resorts), I find it hard to believe that the place - adjacent,
>>> one must bear in mind, to the English Channel - has any serious
>>> atmospheric pollution.
>>
>> It was one of those days when The Wind Was In From Africa and bringing
>> pollution from Europe, which happens now and then.
>
> It can't last long, even when it happens.

We’ve been on holiday in the West Country at times when TWIIFA, and it can
last 2-3 days, with the pollution hanging there like a dark fog, quite
unpleasant.

--
Spike

Re: Brexit blamed as London-Paris organisers say next year’s edition will be the last

<4b15dcc1-b597-49f6-aaa9-3a8433d1bbcan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29011&group=uk.rec.cycling#29011

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2023 08:29:40 -0700 (PDT)
t_year’s_edition_will_be_the_last
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 30 Jul 2023 15:29 UTC

David Furnish, Elton John’s husband, has attacked the deluge of Brexit red tape and extra costs choking UK musicians trying to tour the EU, as the scale of the slump in British performers in Europe is revealed.

New analysis shared with The Independent shows that the number of British performers playing festivals across Europe this year is one-third less than before Brexit.

And the number of European acts playing at this year’s Glastonbury has plummeted by half compared to the years before Brexit, according to figures from the Best for Britain campaign group.

Mr Furnish, chief executive of Sir Elton’s Rocket Entertainment Group, said: “The new generation of artists coming through unfortunately are now finding themselves, for touring Europe, with a lot of red tape, a lot of complications and a lot of additional costs in order to launch and build a global music career.”

Calling for ministers to ease the bureaucratic burden, he said live music was “such an important part of the British cultural landscape”, with UK acts “leading the world” for decades.

Sir Elton has previously declared that he is “sick to death” of Brexit, with the superstar attacking the Tory government for a “philistine” failure to acknowledge the “crucifying” impact of red tape on touring performers.

The number of British performers scheduled to take to stages across the major festivals in Europe this summer has fallen by 32 per cent compared to 2017-19, the new figures show.

The findings mark a slight improvement on last year when British musicians playing post-Covid European festivals had fallen by 45 per cent compared to the immediate years before Brexit.

But the sobering statistics have reinforced fears around the lasting impact Britain’s “third country” status is having on young British bands and singers.

The Independent revealed in 2021 that the Tory government rejected an EU offer of visa-free tours by musicians to all countries in the bloc, despite blaming Brussels for the permits required.

A “standard” proposal to exempt performers from costs and bureaucracy for 90 days was turned down, sparking criticism from Radiohead frontman Thom Yorke, Charlatans star Tim Burgess, Laura Marling and others.

The government said the majority of EU members – including Spain, France and Germany – had made clear that visa-free routes were available to touring UK artists.

But both British and EU bands have struggled with Brexit changes. German punk band Trigger Cut revealed they were recently denied entry into the UK, having been asked for extra “certificates of sponsorship” from all the venues they were booked to play.

Naomi Smith, chief executive of the internationalist campaign group Best for Britain, said emerging talent was “shamefully starved” of the opportunities enjoyed by previous generations.

Music industry bosses have been invited to share their experience and views at Trade Unlocked 2023, a conference at the NEC in Birmingham next month that seeks to shape trade policies ahead of the next election.

Deborah Annetts, head of the Incorporated Society of Musicians, said the “piles” of post-Brexit paperwork “continues to cost opportunities for emerging artists”.

Ms Annetts, a member of the UK Trade and Business Commission, said the conference offered musicians “the chance to make their voice heard and work with other industries to effect meaningful change”.

It comes as Noel Gallagher branded Brexit an “absolute unmitigated disaster” and blaming the UK’s exit for food shortages. “There’s no f****** eggs in the supermarket.”

The Oasis and High Flying Birds songwriter told The Big Issue: “I feel sorry for young people growing up in this country now – Brexit has been a f****** absolute unmitigated disaster.”

The rock star said: “And it will be a living nightmare until some politician has the balls to put a referendum in a manifesto and run on it and go back into the EU.”

A spokesperson for the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport said: “Musicians and artists in the creative industries are an absolutely vital part of our economy and we are committed to helping them succeed. We are supporting them to adapt to the new arrangements with the European Union and make touring and performing easier.”

Re: Brexit blamed as London-Paris organisers say nex t year’s edition will be the last

<kingndFmo91U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29016&group=uk.rec.cycling#29016

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 30 Jul 2023 16:16:45 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 30 Jul 2023 16:16 UTC

> New analysis shared with The Independent shows that the number of British
> performers playing festivals across Europe this year is one-third less than before Brexit.

So somehow two-thirds are managing to play in festivals in the EU. What
are the remaining one-third doing about it, apart from whinging?

--
Spike

Re: Brexit blamed as London-Paris organisers say next year’s edition will be the last

<c2390e1f-c000-4ba7-a0c8-cc59d62917cbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29018&group=uk.rec.cycling#29018

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2023 09:33:05 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re:_Brexit_blamed_as_London-Paris_organisers_say_next_year’s_edition_will_be_the_last
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 30 Jul 2023 16:33 UTC

Gammons fuming over "new" EU red tape:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F2TGC5cWMAALxai?format=jpg&name=medium

QUOTE: It's called taking back control of your borders. 😂
"I never see this headline regarding the United States or Canada imposing the very same thing on UK travellers. They won't tell you in the story that the UK approved this whilst being inside the EU or that the chair of ETIAS at the time was British. " ENDS
OH DEAR!