Where's the man could ease a heart like a satin gown? -- Dorothy Parker, "The Satin Dress"

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Family of cyclist who went missing on charity ride to sue driver who killed him then hid body

SubjectAuthor
* Family of cyclist who went missing on charity ride to sue driver whoswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Family of cyclist who went missing on charity ride toSpike
+* Re: Family of cyclist who went missing on charity ride to sue driverswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Family of cyclist who went missing on charity ride toSpike
+* Re: Family of cyclist who went missing on charity ride to sue driverswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Family of cyclist who went missing on charity ride toSpike
`- Re: Family of cyclist who went missing on charity ride to sue driverswldx...@gmail.com

1
Family of cyclist who went missing on charity ride to sue driver who killed him then hid body

<2a189cee-f260-4f55-9205-e7d97e73d143n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29020&group=uk.rec.cycling#29020

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2023 13:48:45 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Family of cyclist who went missing on charity ride to sue driver who
killed him then hid body
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 30 Jul 2023 20:48 UTC

The family of Tony Parsons, the charity cyclist killed by a hit-and-run driver who then returned to the scene with his twin brother to dispose of the body, are suing the pair for damages.

Alexander McKellar, aged 31, pleaded guilty earlier this week at Glasgow’s High Court to culpable homicide after a crashed into 63-year-old Mr Parsons on the evening of 29 September 2017 near the Bridge of Orchy Hotel in Argyll and Bute.

He and his brother Robert also admitted trying to defeat the ends of justice through disposing of Mr Parson’s corpse in a peat bog on the Auch Estate that was usually used to dump animal carcasses.

The Scottish Sun reports (link is external) that earlier this month, Mr Parsons’ family filed papers with the Court of Session in Edinburgh, Scotland’s equivalent to the High Court, to initiate the legal action.

Explaining the background to the action, a source told the newspaper: “Usually there are few, if any, means for a victim’s family to sue the killer.

“But in this case a vehicle was involved, opening up the prospect of a civil action to recover damages as there is an insurance policy in place.”

The action is being brought for what under Scots law is known as “loss of society,” under which “damages are intended to compensate family members for the distress, anxiety, grief and sorrow caused by the wrongful death of their loved one, together with the loss of their guidance,” according to the Law Society of Scotland.

Following repeated appeals from Police Scotland after he went missing on his ride from Fort William to his home in Tillicoultry, Clackmannanshire, Mr Parsons’ remains were eventually discovered in January 2021, a month after the brothers had initially been arrested.

After last week’s court hearing in Glasgow, Mr Parson’s family said in a statement that he was “much-loved husband, dad, and grandad”, and spoke of the “heartbreak” they went through during the years.

“When he said goodbye and set off on his charity cycle from Fort William that Friday, none of us expected it to be the last time we would be able to see or speak to him,” they said.

“Throughout the six years since he went missing and then the subsequent criminal investigation, we had been left with many unanswered questions and it has been heartbreaking for each and every member of the family being unable to get these answers.

“As you can imagine, not knowing what has happened to someone and then the devastating news that we were provided has taken its toll on all of us as a family,” they added.

The McKellar brothers remain in custody and will be sentenced next month.

https://road.cc/content/news/family-sue-driver-who-killed-cyclist-then-hid-body-302881

Re: Family of cyclist who went missing on charity ride to sue driver who killed him then hid body

<kio1t3FpdpcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29021&group=uk.rec.cycling#29021

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Family of cyclist who went missing on charity ride to
sue driver who killed him then hid body
Date: 30 Jul 2023 21:09:55 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 30 Jul 2023 21:09 UTC

Is it possible one’s vehicle insurance covers claims for culpable homicide
that one has been found guilty of?

--
Spike

Re: Family of cyclist who went missing on charity ride to sue driver who killed him then hid body

<79d0032c-0012-4f1f-a13b-0797a13e80c4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29023&group=uk.rec.cycling#29023

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 01:25:53 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Family of cyclist who went missing on charity ride to sue driver
who killed him then hid body
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 08:25 UTC

QUOTE: The action is being brought for what under Scots law is known as “loss of society,” under which “damages are intended to compensate family members for the distress, anxiety, grief and sorrow caused by the wrongful death of their loved one, together with the loss of their guidance,” according to the Law Society of Scotland. ENDS

There must be a Scottish Mr Arsehole that spotted this little known law - well done.

Re: Family of cyclist who went missing on charity ride to sue driver who killed him then hid body

<kipan4F13pqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29024&group=uk.rec.cycling#29024

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
sue driver who killed him then hid body
Date: 31 Jul 2023 08:46:28 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 08:46 UTC

> QUOTE: The action is being brought for what under Scots law is known as
> “loss of society,” under which “damages are intended to compensate family
> members for the distress, anxiety, grief and sorrow caused by the
> wrongful death of their loved one, together with the loss of their
> guidance,” according to the Law Society of Scotland. ENDS
>
> There must be a Scottish Mr Arsehole that spotted this little known law - well done.

“But in this case a vehicle was involved, opening up the prospect of a
civil action to recover damages as there is an insurance policy in place.”

The family are not the ‘third party’ that is insured by the company.

--
Spike

Re: Family of cyclist who went missing on charity ride to sue driver who killed him then hid body

<67f9f4b5-ae82-4400-b06b-065b7578ce27n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29025&group=uk.rec.cycling#29025

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 03:20:55 -0700 (PDT)
who killed him then hid body
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 10:20 UTC

QUOTE: He and Robert left Parsons alone in the dark, aware that he was still alive, to dump their damaged truck, before returning in another vehicle and moving his now-deceased body to the Auch estate. ENDS

They buried him alive? Total bastards - jail can't come soon enough.

Re: Family of cyclist who went missing on charity ride to sue driver who killed him then hid body

<kiph52F24cmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29026&group=uk.rec.cycling#29026

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
sue driver who killed him then hid body
Date: 31 Jul 2023 10:36:18 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 10:36 UTC

> QUOTE: He and Robert left Parsons alone in the dark, aware that he was
> still alive, to dump their damaged truck, before returning in another
> vehicle and moving his now-deceased body to the Auch estate. ENDS

> They buried him alive?

“…moving his now-deceased body…”

> Total bastards - jail can't come soon enough.

Does the right ending justify the wrong means to attain it?

--
Spike

Re: Family of cyclist who went missing on charity ride to sue driver who killed him then hid body

<6ea53fc3-cebf-4f5f-ac25-a6c284f8df36n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29027&group=uk.rec.cycling#29027

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 05:51:11 -0700 (PDT)
who killed him then hid body
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 12:51 UTC

QUOTE: Deer stalker Alexander would often organise shoots on the estate, and on the night of the incident the siblings were having dinner with a hunting group at the Bridge of Orchy Hotel. ENDS

Anyone who kills wild animals for "sport" is a sick sack anyway.