Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end? -- Tom Stoppard

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / "Poor countries like the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany?

SubjectAuthor
* "Poor countries like the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany?swldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: "Poor countries like the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany?Spike
+* Re: "Poor countries like the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany?swldx...@gmail.com
|+- Re: "Poor countries like the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany?Spike
|`- Re: "Poor countries like the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany?swldx...@gmail.com
`- Re: "Poor countries like the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany?JNugent

1
"Poor countries like the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany?

<6ef8c23e-6052-4e7f-a220-362034d6c1abn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29043&group=uk.rec.cycling#29043

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 01:30:00 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: "Poor countries like the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany?
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 08:30 UTC

David Frost, eh? That's a name I'd gone without hearing for a glorious forgetful spell, until now... Boris Johnson's former chief negotiator for exiting the European Union, who later served in the same PM's cabinet in a role created just for him (that was abolished on his departure) has today got more than a few people questioning if he's ever even travelled to the continent he was negotiating our exit from...

Who's going to tell him? Time for the 'Cycling Avengers' to assemble.

ITV commentator and cycling journalist Ned Boulting reckons: "Of course, as is quite often the case I fear, the truth is almost the perfect opposite of what you claim."

While CyclingMikey was keen to share the view from the Netherlands on Frost's comment: "I'm from the Netherlands, Frostie, and we're doing rather a lot better than the UK thanks. Part of that is because we don't waste as much on cars."

Jon Burke, fresh from schooling Nick Ferrari about LTNs live on LBC (link is external), was keen for some more...

In fact, such was the response to Frost's thoughts, he got replies from people in... *deep breath*... the Netherlands, Barcelona, Ireland, Armenia, Switzerland, Sweden, Czech Republic, Germany all united in replies calling 'rubbish

https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-2-august-2023-302933

Re: "Poor countries like the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany?

<kiut5kFu11qU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29044&group=uk.rec.cycling#29044

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 2 Aug 2023 11:32:04 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 11:32 UTC

Bad move by road.cc to pull in Mike van twErp with his claptrap statement
“I'm from the Netherlands, Frostie, and we're doing rather a lot better
than the UK thanks. Part of that is because we don't waste as much on
cars”.

The twErp doesn’t seem to want to grasp the very uncomfortable yet readily
available fact that when it comes to bicycling, the UK and the Netherlands
per-bn miles bicyclist death rates are very close to those of the UK.

And the twErp doesn’t seem to have sussed the also-uncomfortable fact that
when it comes to the major killer diseases, again the Netherlands is very
similar to those of the UK.

So, van twErp, in what sphere of real life matters is ‘the Netherlands
doing rather a lot better than the UK’? Bullshit?

Laugh? I nearly put myself on the ground, matey!

--
Spike

Re: "Poor countries like the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany?

<5bc28f87-f870-419d-bbfc-21421d00a707n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29045&group=uk.rec.cycling#29045

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 06:07:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 13:07 UTC

QUOTE: Kapelmuur | 719 posts | 2 hours ago
5 likes It was pointed out that the same people who campaigned for Brexit are now leading the anti Green propaganda. ENDS

They are also pro-death penalty, so they'd have hanged that poor sod who spent 17 years in jail for a crime he did not commit.

Hate Europe, pro hanging, pro pollution, anti LTN, pro Brexit, pro speeding, pro racism, pro Trump and pro far right media.

Re: "Poor countries like the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany?

<kiv59hFnejU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29046&group=uk.rec.cycling#29046

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 14:50:40 +0100
 by: JNugent - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 13:50 UTC

On 02/08/2023 09:30 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> David Frost, eh? That's a name I'd gone without hearing for a glorious forgetful spell, until now... Boris Johnson's former chief negotiator for exiting the European Union, who later served in the same PM's cabinet in a role created just for him (that was abolished on his departure) has today got more than a few people questioning if he's ever even travelled to the continent he was negotiating our exit from...
>
> Who's going to tell him? Time for the 'Cycling Avengers' to assemble.
>
> ITV commentator and cycling journalist Ned Boulting reckons: "Of course, as is quite often the case I fear, the truth is almost the perfect opposite of what you claim."
>
> While CyclingMikey was keen to share the view from the Netherlands on Frost's comment: "I'm from the Netherlands, Frostie, and we're doing rather a lot better than the UK thanks. Part of that is because we don't waste as much on cars."
>
> Jon Burke, fresh from schooling Nick Ferrari about LTNs live on LBC (link is external), was keen for some more...
>
> In fact, such was the response to Frost's thoughts, he got replies from people in... *deep breath*... the Netherlands, Barcelona, Ireland, Armenia, Switzerland, Sweden, Czech Republic, Germany all united in replies calling 'rubbish
>
> https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-2-august-2023-302933

Could you repeat that lot with the words in the correct order (or even
*a* correct order), please?

Re: "Poor countries like the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany?

<kiv7bqF13e4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29047&group=uk.rec.cycling#29047

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 2 Aug 2023 14:26:02 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 14:26 UTC

> QUOTE: Kapelmuur | 719 posts | 2 hours ago
> 5 likes It was pointed out that the same people who campaigned for Brexit
> are now leading the anti Green propaganda. ENDS
>
> They are also pro-death penalty, so they'd have hanged that poor sod who
> spent 17 years in jail for a crime he did not commit.
>
> Hate Europe, pro hanging, pro pollution, anti LTN, pro Brexit, pro
> speeding, pro racism, pro Trump and pro far right media.

Have you thought of seeing a doctor?

--
Spike

Re: "Poor countries like the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany?

<67232159-3e40-434b-9624-02a71654d6dcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29048&group=uk.rec.cycling#29048

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 08:43:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 2 Aug 2023 15:43 UTC

QUOTE: eburtthebike | 4529 posts | 6 hours ago
10 likes
David Frost, Rishi Sunak and Mark Harper are just three of the out-of-touch tories who think that they are going to win the next election by getting drivers to vote for them, all because they narrowly won Ruislip on a single issue.

Deluded: but then, that is one definition of a tory. ENDS

SPOT ON, BURT OF THIS PARISH!