: is not an identifier

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: procedure for stopping trains formed of 8 coaches

SubjectAuthor
* procedure for stopping trains formed of 8 coachestiny hadron
+* procedure for stopping trains formed of 8 coachesRoland Perry
|`- procedure for stopping trains formed of 8 coachestiny hadron
+* procedure for stopping trains formed of 8 coachesScott
|+- procedure for stopping trains formed of 8 coachesRoland Perry
|`- procedure for stopping trains formed of 8 coachesKen
+* procedure for stopping trains formed of 8 coachesD A Stocks
|+- procedure for stopping trains formed of 8 coachesRecliner
|`- procedure for stopping trains formed of 8 coachesRoland Perry
`- procedure for stopping trains formed of 8 coachesRoger Lynn

1
procedure for stopping trains formed of 8 coaches

<b6ydnRSlE50Wzuz_nZ2dnUU7-c_NnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29010&group=uk.railway#29010

Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 17:08:41 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: tiny.had...@gmail.com (tiny hadron)
Subject: procedure for stopping trains formed of 8 coaches
 by: tiny hadron - Tue, 3 May 2022 16:08 UTC

From <https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/295465.aspx>

"Disruption at East Dulwich expected until the end of the day.

"Can you tell me more about the incident?

"A problem has been identified with the procedure for stopping trains
formed of 8 coaches at East Dulwich, affecting Platform 1. This platform
is used by trains towards London Bridge. In some cases, train doors
would not be in the correct location alongside equipment on the platforms.

"Southern services which call at this station are generally formed of 8
coaches, and therefore we are unable to call at this station in this
direction.

"A plan to reopen the platform is being formulated. Until we can confirm
that the correct procedure is in place, we will only be able to use
Platform 2."

Any suggestions as to what the problem and cause actually might be?

Re: procedure for stopping trains formed of 8 coaches

<38eo5R1YaVciFA33@perry.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29011&group=uk.railway#29011

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 17:21:44 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Tue, 3 May 2022 16:21 UTC

In message <b6ydnRSlE50Wzuz_nZ2dnUU7-c_NnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>, at
17:08:41 on Tue, 3 May 2022, tiny hadron <tiny.hadron@gmail.com>
remarked:
>From <https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/295465.aspx>
>
>"Disruption at East Dulwich expected until the end of the day.
>
>"Can you tell me more about the incident?
>
>"A problem has been identified with the procedure for stopping trains
>formed of 8 coaches at East Dulwich, affecting Platform 1. This
>platform is used by trains towards London Bridge. In some cases, train
>doors would not be in the correct location alongside equipment on the
>platforms.
>
>"Southern services which call at this station are generally formed of 8
>coaches, and therefore we are unable to call at this station in this
>direction.
>
>"A plan to reopen the platform is being formulated. Until we can
>confirm that the correct procedure is in place, we will only be able to
>use Platform 2."
>
>Any suggestions as to what the problem and cause actually might be?

This would normally be the driver's view of a CCTV screen on the
platform, which he might need to pull past in order to fit as many as
eight carriages on the platform.

However, don't the trains in question have in-cab CCTV? And that's not
exactly "train doors" being in the corrt place.

So perhaps SDO for the rear doors of the rear carriage... but if
they were off the platform without SDO you'd think someone would
have noticed it long ago.

--
Roland Perry

Re: procedure for stopping trains formed of 8 coaches

<qPKdnfrFKKtzGez_nZ2dnUU7-fPNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29029&group=uk.railway#29029

Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 20:39:24 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: tiny.had...@gmail.com (tiny hadron)
 by: tiny hadron - Tue, 3 May 2022 19:39 UTC

On 2022-05-03 17:21, Roland Perry wrote:
> In message <b6ydnRSlE50Wzuz_nZ2dnUU7-c_NnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>, at
> 17:08:41 on Tue, 3 May 2022, tiny hadron <tiny.hadron@gmail.com> remarked:
>> From <https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/295465.aspx>
>>
>> "Disruption at East Dulwich expected until the end of the day.

>> "A problem has been identified with the procedure for stopping >> trains formed of 8 coaches at East Dulwich,
>>
>> Any suggestions as to what the problem and cause actually might be?
>
> This would normally be the driver's view of a CCTV screen on the
> platform, which he might need to pull past in order to fit as many as
> eight carriages on the platform.
>
> However, don't the trains in question have in-cab CCTV? And that's not
> exactly "train doors" being in the corrt place.
>
> So perhaps SDO for the rear doors of the rear carriage... but if
> they were off the platform without SDO you'd think someone would
> have noticed it long ago.

I don't recollect any CCTV screen there. Your mention of SDO
led me to usefully inform myself at
<https://en.wikipedia.or/wiki/Selective_door_operation> and
<http://www.railway-technical.com/signalling/train-protection.html>.
My guess now, I think it's moderately plausible, is that a static beacon
adjoining the platform failed, leaving the train system without the
station data needed to operate the SDO. Afair the train does overlap
the platform by a couple of doorsworth. And the Southern announcement
refers simply to "a problem with the platform equipment".

I assume there'd be a manual fallback to deal with such a failure if it
was enduring, and that they might well not have felt able to switch to
it immediately with full confidence that they could do so safely.

Re: procedure for stopping trains formed of 8 coaches

<ag137hdbg476qpoulm5t3ojh4l2oel2pc1@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29031&group=uk.railway#29031

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 03 May 2022 20:48:24 +0100
 by: Scott - Tue, 3 May 2022 19:48 UTC

On Tue, 3 May 2022 17:08:41 +0100, tiny hadron <tiny.hadron@gmail.com>
wrote:
[snip]

At Dalmuir I was once given a curious explanation that if a six-car
DMU stopped there, one door was off the platform. The guard used to
stand at that door to make sure no passengers disembarked, until they
were told by the management this not allowed. The guards then opened
only one door and stood there as all passengers were forced to embark
or disembark using that door.

Re: procedure for stopping trains formed of 8 coaches

<t4s7rm$7iv$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29035&group=uk.railway#29035

From: nos...@nospam.com (D A Stocks)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 22:46:28 +0100
 by: D A Stocks - Tue, 3 May 2022 21:46 UTC

"tiny hadron" <tiny.hadron@gmail.com> wrote in message
> From <https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/295465.aspx>
>
> "Disruption at East Dulwich expected until the end of the day.
>
> "Can you tell me more about the incident?
>
> "A problem has been identified with the procedure for stopping trains
> formed of 8 coaches at East Dulwich, affecting Platform 1. This platform
> is used by trains towards London Bridge. In some cases, train doors would
> not be in the correct location alongside equipment on the platforms.
>
> "Southern services which call at this station are generally formed of 8
> coaches, and therefore we are unable to call at this station in this
> direction.
>
> "A plan to reopen the platform is being formulated. Until we can confirm
> that the correct procedure is in place, we will only be able to use
> Platform 2."
>
> Any suggestions as to what the problem and cause actually might be?

AIUI the stop board was moved pending the withdrawl of class 455 stock at
the end of the month meaning the trains (currently 8 car class 455) can no
longer stop with all the doors on the platform.

--
DAS

Re: procedure for stopping trains formed of 8 coaches

<t4s8k3$ch5$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29036&group=uk.railway#29036

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 21:59:31 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:eJcAm6Z+VzYKiNLbwyqbwcJLHfw=
 by: Recliner - Tue, 3 May 2022 21:59 UTC

D A Stocks <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
> "tiny hadron" <tiny.hadron@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> From <https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/295465.aspx>
>>
>> "Disruption at East Dulwich expected until the end of the day.
>>
>> "Can you tell me more about the incident?
>>
>> "A problem has been identified with the procedure for stopping trains
>> formed of 8 coaches at East Dulwich, affecting Platform 1. This platform
>> is used by trains towards London Bridge. In some cases, train doors would
>> not be in the correct location alongside equipment on the platforms.
>>
>> "Southern services which call at this station are generally formed of 8
>> coaches, and therefore we are unable to call at this station in this
>> direction.
>>
>> "A plan to reopen the platform is being formulated. Until we can confirm
>> that the correct procedure is in place, we will only be able to use
>> Platform 2."
>>
>> Any suggestions as to what the problem and cause actually might be?
>

> AIUI the stop board was moved pending the withdrawl of class 455 stock at
> the end of the month meaning the trains (currently 8 car class 455) can no
> longer stop with all the doors on the platform.

I wonder why they removed the 455 stop boards prematurely? I notice
plenty of stop boards remaining for now-withdrawn stock, such as for full
length HSTs on routes that no longer see them, such as the Highland line.

Re: procedure for stopping trains formed of 8 coaches

<bmj8ki-nhk.ln1@castle.rilynn.me.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29037&group=uk.railway#29037

From: use...@rilynn.me.uk (Roger Lynn)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 3 May 2022 22:33:31 +0100
 by: Roger Lynn - Tue, 3 May 2022 21:33 UTC

On 03/05/2022 17:08, tiny hadron wrote:
> From <https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/295465.aspx>
>
> "Disruption at East Dulwich expected until the end of the day.
>
> "Can you tell me more about the incident?
>
> "A problem has been identified with the procedure for stopping trains
> formed of 8 coaches at East Dulwich, affecting Platform 1. This platform
> is used by trains towards London Bridge. In some cases, train doors
> would not be in the correct location alongside equipment on the platforms.
>
> "Southern services which call at this station are generally formed of 8
> coaches, and therefore we are unable to call at this station in this
> direction.
>
> "A plan to reopen the platform is being formulated. Until we can confirm
> that the correct procedure is in place, we will only be able to use
> Platform 2."
>
> Any suggestions as to what the problem and cause actually might be?

The "8 car stop" sign is broken or missing?

Re: procedure for stopping trains formed of 8 coaches

<dV+yzdAZjhciFARN@perry.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29044&group=uk.railway#29044

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 07:10:33 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Wed, 4 May 2022 06:10 UTC

In message <ag137hdbg476qpoulm5t3ojh4l2oel2pc1@4ax.com>, at 20:48:24 on
Tue, 3 May 2022, Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> remarked:
>On Tue, 3 May 2022 17:08:41 +0100, tiny hadron <tiny.hadron@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>[snip]
>
>At Dalmuir I was once given a curious explanation that if a six-car
>DMU stopped there, one door was off the platform. The guard used to
>stand at that door to make sure no passengers disembarked, until they
>were told by the management this not allowed. The guards then opened
>only one door and stood there as all passengers were forced to embark
>or disembark using that door.

I was on a summer special (several motley Sprinters cobbled together)
from Nottingham to Skegness. And it was too long for several of the
intermediate station stops, and as you describe above the only way on
and off the train there was through one door - in the very front
vestibule.

It was made particularly awkward by the number of pushchairs and other
paraphernalia cluttering the aisles.
--
Roland Perry

Re: procedure for stopping trains formed of 8 coaches

<RF8xX5AQmhciFAxG@perry.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29045&group=uk.railway#29045

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 07:13:36 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Wed, 4 May 2022 06:13 UTC

In message <t4s7rm$7iv$3@dont-email.me>, at 22:46:28 on Tue, 3 May 2022,
D A Stocks <nospam@nospam.com> remarked:
>"tiny hadron" <tiny.hadron@gmail.com> wrote in message news:b6ydnRSlE50
>Wzuz_nZ2dnUU7-c_NnZ2d@brightview.co.uk...
>> From <https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/295465.aspx>
>>
>> "Disruption at East Dulwich expected until the end of the day.
>>
>> "Can you tell me more about the incident?
>>
>> "A problem has been identified with the procedure for stopping trains
>>formed of 8 coaches at East Dulwich, affecting Platform 1. This
>>platform is used by trains towards London Bridge. In some cases,
>>train doors would not be in the correct location alongside equipment
>>on the platforms.
>>
>> "Southern services which call at this station are generally formed of
>>8 coaches, and therefore we are unable to call at this station in
>>this direction.
>>
>> "A plan to reopen the platform is being formulated. Until we can
>>confirm that the correct procedure is in place, we will only be able
>>to use Platform 2."
>>
>> Any suggestions as to what the problem and cause actually might be?
>

>AIUI the stop board was moved pending the withdrawl of class 455 stock
>at the end of the month

<https://www.railadvent.co.uk/2022/03/southern-to-run-special-farewell-
train-for-class-455s.html>

--
Roland Perry

Re: procedure for stopping trains formed of 8 coaches

<toe47h5h24tog38rabvev168dshu80k1e7@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29057&group=uk.railway#29057

From: ken...@birchanger.com (Ken)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 04 May 2022 09:42:51 +0100
 by: Ken - Wed, 4 May 2022 08:42 UTC

On Tue, 03 May 2022 20:48:24 +0100, Scott
<newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

>On Tue, 3 May 2022 17:08:41 +0100, tiny hadron <tiny.hadron@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>[snip]
>
>At Dalmuir I was once given a curious explanation that if a six-car
>DMU stopped there, one door was off the platform. The guard used to
>stand at that door to make sure no passengers disembarked, until they
>were told by the management this not allowed. The guards then opened
>only one door and stood there as all passengers were forced to embark
>or disembark using that door.

I missed a train at 42nd. Street to Howard Beach, for JFK, back in the
80s when this was the system in use there. Just one door opened (or
perhaps car?) opened and you had to board there. TBF there was a sign
with an arrow saying 'Trains for JFK' but I assumed the sign was
telling me which platform to use, not where, specifically, I had to
stand.
I think it was done that way to ensure that you'd paid the
supplementary fare for the airport as opposed to what was then, I
think, a flat fare on the NY Subway.