We are what we are.

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: Where are these half price tickets from the Great British Rail Sale?

SubjectAuthor
* Where are these half price tickets from the Great British Rail Sale?GB
+* Where are these half price tickets from the Great British Rail Sale?Recliner
|`- Where are these half price tickets from the Great British RailGB
+* Where are these half price tickets from the Great British Rail Sale?Roland Perry
|+- Where are these half price tickets from the Great British Rail Sale?Recliner
|`* Where are these half price tickets from the Great British Railmartin.coffee
| `- Where are these half price tickets from the Great British Rail Sale?Roland Perry
`- Where are these half price tickets from the Great British RailCertes

1
Where are these half price tickets from the Great British Rail Sale?

<t4tn2e$1kb$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29078&group=uk.railway#29078

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Where are these half price tickets from the Great British Rail Sale?
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 12:12:14 +0100
 by: GB - Wed, 4 May 2022 11:12 UTC

My wife wants a cheap day return London to Manchester next Wednesday.
All the tickets seem remarkably full price.

£98 for an off peak return.

At that price, she should buy a Senior Railcard, which costs £30 and
saves £33 off the ticket. It's quite likely that this will be her only
rail journey in the next 12 months, though. So, the saving is trivial.

She can shave a few £££ off if she commits to specific trains, but the
saving is small.

Searching for Great British Rail Sale:

https://www.thetrainline.com/trains/deals-discounts/great-british-rail-sale

This just gives standard fares. So, Great British Rail Sale is just hot air?

Re: Where are these half price tickets from the Great British Rail Sale?

<bjo47hh85o9c3etnoff8rj5j8eu2g3qstn@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29081&group=uk.railway#29081

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 04 May 2022 12:26:22 +0100
 by: Recliner - Wed, 4 May 2022 11:26 UTC

On Wed, 4 May 2022 12:12:14 +0100, GB <NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid> wrote:

>My wife wants a cheap day return London to Manchester next Wednesday.
>All the tickets seem remarkably full price.
>
>£98 for an off peak return.
>
>At that price, she should buy a Senior Railcard, which costs £30 and
>saves £33 off the ticket. It's quite likely that this will be her only
>rail journey in the next 12 months, though. So, the saving is trivial.
>
>She can shave a few £££ off if she commits to specific trains, but the
>saving is small.
>

>Searching for Great British Rail Sale:
>
>https://www.thetrainline.com/trains/deals-discounts/great-british-rail-sale
>
>This just gives standard fares. So, Great British Rail Sale is just hot air?

Not hot air, but history (bookings finished on 2 May):
<https://greatbritishrailsale.nationalrail.co.uk/>

Re: Where are these half price tickets from the Great British Rail Sale?

<t4tpuv$8du$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29083&group=uk.railway#29083

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Where are these half price tickets from the Great British Rail
Sale?
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 13:01:37 +0100
 by: GB - Wed, 4 May 2022 12:01 UTC

On 04/05/2022 12:26, Recliner wrote:
> On Wed, 4 May 2022 12:12:14 +0100, GB <NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid> wrote:
>
>> My wife wants a cheap day return London to Manchester next Wednesday.
>> All the tickets seem remarkably full price.
>>
>> £98 for an off peak return.
>>
>> At that price, she should buy a Senior Railcard, which costs £30 and
>> saves £33 off the ticket. It's quite likely that this will be her only
>> rail journey in the next 12 months, though. So, the saving is trivial.
>>
>> She can shave a few £££ off if she commits to specific trains, but the
>> saving is small.
>>

>> Searching for Great British Rail Sale:
>>
>> https://www.thetrainline.com/trains/deals-discounts/great-british-rail-sale
>>
>> This just gives standard fares. So, Great British Rail Sale is just hot air?
>
> Not hot air, but history (bookings finished on 2 May):
> <https://greatbritishrailsale.nationalrail.co.uk/>

Gah!!!!!! :)

Re: Where are these half price tickets from the Great British Rail Sale?

<Rn+R$dTafnciFAzn@perry.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29089&group=uk.railway#29089

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 13:55:54 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Wed, 4 May 2022 12:55 UTC

In message <t4tn2e$1kb$1@dont-email.me>, at 12:12:14 on Wed, 4 May 2022,
GB <NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid> remarked:
>My wife wants a cheap day return London to Manchester next Wednesday.
>All the tickets seem remarkably full price.
>
>£98 for an off peak return.

The cheapest I can see is splitting tickets at Crewe for £55. But it
depends how fixed her travel times are.

>At that price, she should buy a Senior Railcard, which costs £30 and
>saves £33 off the ticket. It's quite likely that this will be her only
>rail journey in the next 12 months, though. So, the saving is trivial.
>
>She can shave a few £££ off if she commits to specific trains, but the
>saving is small.
>
>Searching for Great British Rail Sale:
>
>https://www.thetrainline.com/trains/deals-discounts/great-british-rail-sale
>
>This just gives standard fares. So, Great British Rail Sale is just hot air?

It always was hot air, because just 1% of journeys could ever have been
covered. And that's before we allow for specific flows at specific times
to have sold out.

But as I posted here on April 25th, highlighting a not very well
publicised deadline:

"A million off-peak, mostly advance, train tickets have gone
on sale, discounted by up to 50%. To get the lower prices you have
to book by 23.59 on 2 May, and travel between 25 April and 27 May."
*************************

If this sale was designed to encourage discretionary (or even impulse)
travel towards the end of May, it was structurally failed.
--
Roland Perry

Re: Where are these half price tickets from the Great British Rail Sale?

<env47h5f2ve1sr56pqhavsmouae162jjkm@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29090&group=uk.railway#29090

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 04 May 2022 14:26:21 +0100
 by: Recliner - Wed, 4 May 2022 13:26 UTC

On Wed, 4 May 2022 13:55:54 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:

>In message <t4tn2e$1kb$1@dont-email.me>, at 12:12:14 on Wed, 4 May 2022,
>GB <NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid> remarked:
>>My wife wants a cheap day return London to Manchester next Wednesday.
>>All the tickets seem remarkably full price.
>>
>>£98 for an off peak return.
>
>The cheapest I can see is splitting tickets at Crewe for £55. But it
>depends how fixed her travel times are.
>
>>At that price, she should buy a Senior Railcard, which costs £30 and
>>saves £33 off the ticket. It's quite likely that this will be her only
>>rail journey in the next 12 months, though. So, the saving is trivial.
>>
>>She can shave a few £££ off if she commits to specific trains, but the
>>saving is small.
>>
>>Searching for Great British Rail Sale:
>>
>>https://www.thetrainline.com/trains/deals-discounts/great-british-rail-sale
>>
>>This just gives standard fares. So, Great British Rail Sale is just hot air?
>
>It always was hot air, because just 1% of journeys could ever have been
>covered. And that's before we allow for specific flows at specific times
>to have sold out.
>
>But as I posted here on April 25th, highlighting a not very well
>publicised deadline:
>
> "A million off-peak, mostly advance, train tickets have gone
> on sale, discounted by up to 50%. To get the lower prices you have
> to book by 23.59 on 2 May, and travel between 25 April and 27 May."
> *************************
>
>If this sale was designed to encourage discretionary (or even impulse)
>travel towards the end of May, it was structurally failed.

Yes, the equivalent Scottish scheme is much better.

Re: Where are these half price tickets from the Great British Rail Sale?

<t55cbq$756$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29163&group=uk.railway#29163

From: martin.c...@round-midnight.org.uk
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Sale?
Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 09:58:34 +0100
 by: martin.c...@round-midnight.org.uk - Sat, 7 May 2022 08:58 UTC

On 04/05/2022 13:55, Roland Perry wrote:
> In message <t4tn2e$1kb$1@dont-email.me>, at 12:12:14 on Wed, 4 May 2022,
> GB <NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid> remarked:
>> My wife wants a cheap day return London to Manchester next Wednesday.
>> All the tickets seem remarkably full price.
>>
>> £98 for an off peak return.
>
> The cheapest I can see is splitting tickets at Crewe for £55. But it
> depends how fixed her travel times are.
>
>> At that price, she should buy a Senior Railcard, which costs £30 and
>> saves £33 off the ticket. It's quite likely that this will be her only
>> rail journey in the next 12 months, though. So, the saving is trivial.
>>
>> She can shave a few £££ off if she commits to specific trains, but the
>> saving is small.
>>
>> Searching for Great British Rail Sale:
>>
>> https://www.thetrainline.com/trains/deals-discounts/great-british-rail-sale
>>

>> This just gives standard fares. So, Great British Rail Sale is just
>> hot air?
>
> It always was hot air, because just 1% of journeys could ever have been
> covered. And that's before we allow for specific flows at specific times
> to have sold out.
>
> But as I posted here on April 25th, highlighting a not very well
> publicised deadline:
>
>   "A million off-peak, mostly advance, train tickets have gone
>     on sale, discounted by up to 50%. To get the lower prices you have
>     to book by 23.59 on 2 May, and travel between 25 April and 27 May."
>     *************************
>
> If this sale was designed to encourage discretionary (or even impulse)
> travel towards the end of May, it was structurally failed.
It was obviously designed to exclude the school's half terms.

Re: Where are these half price tickets from the Great British Rail Sale?

<5u7LtslKbjdiFA+M@perry.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29166&group=uk.railway#29166

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 10:07:22 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Sat, 7 May 2022 09:07 UTC

In message <t55cbq$756$1@dont-email.me>, at 09:58:34 on Sat, 7 May 2022,
martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk remarked:
>On 04/05/2022 13:55, Roland Perry wrote:
>> In message <t4tn2e$1kb$1@dont-email.me>, at 12:12:14 on Wed, 4 May
>>2022, GB <NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid> remarked:
>>> My wife wants a cheap day return London to Manchester next
>>>Wednesday. All the tickets seem remarkably full price.
>>>
>>> £98 for an off peak return.
>> The cheapest I can see is splitting tickets at Crewe for £55. But it
>>depends how fixed her travel times are.
>>
>>> At that price, she should buy a Senior Railcard, which costs £30 and
>>>saves £33 off the ticket. It's quite likely that this will be her
>>>only rail journey in the next 12 months, though. So, the saving is
>>>trivial.
>>>
>>> She can shave a few £££ off if she commits to specific trains, but
>>>the saving is small.
>>>
>>> Searching for Great British Rail Sale:
>>>

>>>https://www.thetrainline.com/trains/deals-discounts/great-british-rail
>>>-sale
>>>
>>> This just gives standard fares. So, Great British Rail Sale is just
>>>hot air?
>> It always was hot air, because just 1% of journeys could ever have
>>been covered. And that's before we allow for specific flows at
>>specific times to have sold out.
>> But as I posted here on April 25th, highlighting a not very well
>>publicised deadline:
>>   "A million off-peak, mostly advance, train tickets have gone
>>     on sale, discounted by up to 50%. To get the lower prices you have
>>     to book by 23.59 on 2 May, and travel between 25 April and 27 May."
>>     *************************
>> If this sale was designed to encourage discretionary (or even
>>impulse) travel towards the end of May, it was structurally failed.

>It was obviously designed to exclude the school's half terms.

Yes, but that's disjoint from the sale ending so early. They could have
(and in many cases did) just block out availability those particular
days.

Of course, it's quite interesting in its own right that they think a
significant part of their target market for the sale is families with
school age children. They are the ones most likely to have a car, having
given up on rail travel as uneconomic years ago.
--
Roland Perry

Re: Where are these half price tickets from the Great British Rail Sale?

<t5apjo$jtc$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29264&group=uk.railway#29264

From: non...@nowhere.net (Certes)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Sale?
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 11:15:20 +0100
 by: Certes - Mon, 9 May 2022 10:15 UTC

On 04/05/2022 12:12, GB wrote:
> My wife wants a cheap day return London to Manchester next Wednesday.
> All the tickets seem remarkably full price.
>
> £98 for an off peak return.
>
> At that price, she should buy a Senior Railcard, which costs £30 and
> saves £33 off the ticket. It's quite likely that this will be her only
> rail journey in the next 12 months, though. So, the saving is trivial.
>
> She can shave a few £££ off if she commits to specific trains, but the
> saving is small.
>
> Searching for Great British Rail Sale:
>
> https://www.thetrainline.com/trains/deals-discounts/great-british-rail-sale
>
> This just gives standard fares. So, Great British Rail Sale is just hot
> air?

A reminder for anyone heading north that the ScotRail half-price sale
ends on Sunday (15 May 2022). Travel by end of May.
<https://www.scotrail.co.uk/sale>