From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Le Shuttle boosted by P&O
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 05:15:45 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:qqiw9qmU0QCxtizmFsiAonQFACE=
 by: Recliner - Wed, 11 May 2022 05:15 UTC

Eurotunnel sees light after P&O flounders

<https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/f1b4210a-d08d-11ec-9d8b-0826aa666f4f?shareToken=01b78447a080b52fec0b058e7aae6ad9>

Re: Le Shuttle boosted by P&O

<t5fmc3$h8m$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29295&group=uk.railway#29295

From: martin.c...@round-midnight.org.uk
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Le Shuttle boosted by P&O
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 07:50:41 +0100
 by: martin.c...@round-midnight.org.uk - Wed, 11 May 2022 06:50 UTC

On 11/05/2022 06:15, Recliner wrote:
> Eurotunnel sees light after P&O flounders
>
> <https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/f1b4210a-d08d-11ec-9d8b-0826aa666f4f?shareToken=01b78447a080b52fec0b058e7aae6ad9>

Here are the details of the original two detentions:-
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/foreign-flagged-ships-detained-in-the-uk-during-march-2022-under-paris-mou

Some of the reasons for detentions are shocking. Imagine not having the
stability information booklet available or the fast rescue boats
inoperative! Looking back I cannot see either as reasons for detention
in the past.

I reckon only a shareholder who couldn't care less about passenger
safety would be upset at these detentions.

Re: Le Shuttle boosted by P&O

<t5fpam$dtu$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29296&group=uk.railway#29296

From: MB...@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 08:41:10 +0100
 by: MB - Wed, 11 May 2022 07:41 UTC

On 11/05/2022 07:50, martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk wrote:
> Here are the details of the original two detentions:-
> https://www.gov.uk/government/news/foreign-flagged-ships-detained-in-the-uk-during-march-2022-under-paris-mou
>
> Some of the reasons for detentions are shocking. Imagine not having the
> stability information booklet available or the fast rescue boats
> inoperative! Looking back I cannot see either as reasons for detention
> in the past.
>
> I reckon only a shareholder who couldn't care less about passenger
> safety would be upset at these detentions.

I have wondered if there has been some constructive use of detentions
perhaps encouraged by the unions. But they can be quite strict at time,
I spent an afternoon at Oban waiting to board the Tiree ferry because
there was some sort of fault with the fast rescue boat.

I can't remember now if they fixed it or got permission to sail without
it - I would have thought they could have chartered a local boat to
follow the ferry as rescue boat!

Re: Le Shuttle boosted by P&O

<t5fs5e$c6$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29297&group=uk.railway#29297

From: martin.c...@round-midnight.org.uk
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 09:29:32 +0100
 by: martin.c...@round-midnight.org.uk - Wed, 11 May 2022 08:29 UTC

On 11/05/2022 08:41, MB wrote:
> On 11/05/2022 07:50, martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk wrote:
>> Here are the details of the original two detentions:-
>> https://www.gov.uk/government/news/foreign-flagged-ships-detained-in-the-uk-during-march-2022-under-paris-mou
>>

>> Some of the reasons for detentions are shocking.  Imagine not having the
>> stability information booklet available or the fast rescue boats
>> inoperative!  Looking back I cannot see either as reasons for detention
>> in the past.
>>
>> I reckon only a shareholder who couldn't care less about passenger
>> safety would be upset at these detentions.
>
> I have wondered if there has been some constructive use of detentions
> perhaps encouraged by the unions.  But they can be quite strict at time,
> I spent an afternoon at Oban waiting to board the Tiree ferry because
> there was some sort of fault with the fast rescue boat.
I don't think there was any constructive use of detentions. They all
look consistent with a completely fresh crew unfamiliar with the vessels
they've taken over.

> I can't remember now if they fixed it or got permission to sail without
> it - I would have thought they could have chartered a local boat to
> follow the ferry as rescue boat!

They certainly wouldn't have got permission to sail without it so they
must have fixed it in some way.