Chemist who falls in acid will be tripping for weeks.

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / Re: Old US radio shows

SubjectAuthor
* Old US radio showsBrian Gaff
`* Re: Old US radio showsAbandoned Trolley
 +* Re: Old US radio showsAbandoned Trolley
 |`- Re: Old US radio showsBrian Gaff
 `* Re: Old US radio showsBrian Gaff
  `* Re: Old US radio showsmaus
   `* Re: Old US radio showsJohn Williamson
    +- Re: Old US radio showsJohn Williamson
    `* Re: Old US radio showsmaus
     `- Re: Old US radio showsBrian Gaff

1
Old US radio shows

<upe45e$1kvpi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29265&group=uk.rec.sheds#29265

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Old US radio shows
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 18:39:39 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 18:39 UTC

have you noticed the number of radio stations on the internet, sorry
pedants, I know its not really radio, which have old US radio shows of all
kinds including dramas in vastly varying quality Some are clearly taken from
transcriptions from the AFN network, but others sound like they have no
clicks and have been recorded from an am radio. Historically though, tape
recording did not really appear until some time in the last war, and some of
the recordings date from the 30s. Its really interesting on the ones
recorded off air to hear the advertisements within them. Corny or what.
Just search for old time radio on Alexas my tuner radio skill. I found
around 7, including one in South Africa, which if nothing else is
interesting as it has their own take on series derived from other countries
like calling all cars and The Avengers.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Re: Old US radio shows

<upflfn$203ni$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29269&group=uk.rec.sheds#29269

From: fre...@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: Old US radio shows
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 08:41:27 +0000
 by: Abandoned Trolley - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 08:41 UTC

On 31/01/2024 18:39, Brian Gaff wrote:
> have you noticed the number of radio stations on the internet, sorry
> pedants, I know its not really radio, which have old US radio shows of all
> kinds including dramas in vastly varying quality Some are clearly taken from
> transcriptions from the AFN network, but others sound like they have no
> clicks and have been recorded from an am radio. Historically though, tape
> recording did not really appear until some time in the last war, and some of
> the recordings date from the 30s. Its really interesting on the ones
> recorded off air to hear the advertisements within them. Corny or what.
> Just search for old time radio on Alexas my tuner radio skill. I found
> around 7, including one in South Africa, which if nothing else is
> interesting as it has their own take on series derived from other countries
> like calling all cars and The Avengers.
> Brian

Theres quite a bit of that stuff on youtube as well, along with a lot of
old US tv shows.

I was watching an episode of Mr Edd recently with Clint Eastwood as a guest

Re: Old US radio shows

<upflh1$203ni$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29270&group=uk.rec.sheds#29270

From: fre...@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 08:42:09 +0000
 by: Abandoned Trolley - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 08:42 UTC

> Theres quite a bit of that stuff on youtube as well, along with a lot of
> old US tv shows.
>
> I was watching an episode of Mr Edd recently with Clint Eastwood as a guest

Sorry - "Mr Ed" !!

Re: Old US radio shows

<upga3n$23q05$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29282&group=uk.rec.sheds#29282

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 14:33:25 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 14:33 UTC

Dragnet is one on the radio channels. Lots of adverts for cigarettes in
them, which considering they were smoking all the time was hardly surprising
I suppose.
Brian

--

--:
"Abandoned Trolley" <fred@fred-smith.co.uk> wrote in message
> On 31/01/2024 18:39, Brian Gaff wrote:
>> have you noticed the number of radio stations on the internet, sorry
>> pedants, I know its not really radio, which have old US radio shows of
>> all
>> kinds including dramas in vastly varying quality Some are clearly taken
>> from
>> transcriptions from the AFN network, but others sound like they have no
>> clicks and have been recorded from an am radio. Historically though, tape
>> recording did not really appear until some time in the last war, and some
>> of
>> the recordings date from the 30s. Its really interesting on the ones
>> recorded off air to hear the advertisements within them. Corny or what.
>> Just search for old time radio on Alexas my tuner radio skill. I found
>> around 7, including one in South Africa, which if nothing else is
>> interesting as it has their own take on series derived from other
>> countries
>> like calling all cars and The Avengers.
>> Brian
>>

> Theres quite a bit of that stuff on youtube as well, along with a lot of
> old US tv shows.
>
> I was watching an episode of Mr Edd recently with Clint Eastwood as a
> guest

Re: Old US radio shows

<upga6c$23qd4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29283&group=uk.rec.sheds#29283

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 14:34:50 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 14:34 UTC

Just horsing around. The radio has of course got The Lone Ranger as apposed
to the loan arranger which is something quite different.
Brian

--

--:

>> Theres quite a bit of that stuff on youtube as well, along with a lot of
>> old US tv shows.
>>
>> I was watching an episode of Mr Edd recently with Clint Eastwood as a
>> guest
>

> Sorry - "Mr Ed" !!

Re: Old US radio shows

<slrnurnetj.gja.maus@debian.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29288&group=uk.rec.sheds#29288

From: mau...@debian.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 1 Feb 2024 15:41:39 GMT
 by: maus - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 15:41 UTC

On 2024-02-01, Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dragnet is one on the radio channels. Lots of adverts for cigarettes in
> them, which considering they were smoking all the time was hardly surprising
> I suppose.
> Brian

John Wayne, in "the Quite Man", had to light a gasper in every scene,
almost, and he died from cancer.

There was a radio thing once about Sir Walter Raleigh explaining to King
James, (I and extra) what tobacco was for.

--
greymausg@mail.com
"Boris, our once and future PM."

Re: Old US radio shows

<l21trrFenj5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29290&group=uk.rec.sheds#29290

From: johnwill...@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 16:06:19 +0000
 by: John Williamson - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 16:06 UTC

On 01/02/2024 15:41, maus wrote:
> On 2024-02-01, Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Dragnet is one on the radio channels. Lots of adverts for cigarettes in
>> them, which considering they were smoking all the time was hardly surprising
>> I suppose.
>> Brian
>>

> John Wayne, in "the Quite Man", had to light a gasper in every scene,
> almost, and he died from cancer.
>
> There was a radio thing once about Sir Walter Raleigh explaining to King
> James, (I and extra) what tobacco was for.

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ4-JFKAXVM

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Old US radio shows

<l21u4uFenj5U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29291&group=uk.rec.sheds#29291

From: johnwill...@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 16:11:10 +0000
 by: John Williamson - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 16:11 UTC

On 01/02/2024 16:06, John Williamson wrote:
> On 01/02/2024 15:41, maus wrote:
>> There was a radio thing once about Sir Walter Raleigh explaining to King
>> James, (I and extra) what tobacco was for.
>>
> This one?
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ4-JFKAXVM

A link to the full version.

https://youtu.be/j4ZLb4afIJw

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Old US radio shows

<slrnurnkrd.5me.maus@debian.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29293&group=uk.rec.sheds#29293

From: mau...@debian.org (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 1 Feb 2024 17:22:53 GMT
 by: maus - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 17:22 UTC

On 2024-02-01, John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:
> On 01/02/2024 15:41, maus wrote:
>> On 2024-02-01, Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Dragnet is one on the radio channels. Lots of adverts for cigarettes in
>>> them, which considering they were smoking all the time was hardly surprising
>>> I suppose.
>>> Brian
>>>

>> John Wayne, in "the Quite Man", had to light a gasper in every scene,
>> almost, and he died from cancer.
>>
>> There was a radio thing once about Sir Walter Raleigh explaining to King
>> James, (I and extra) what tobacco was for.
>>
> This one?
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ4-JFKAXVM

Yup/. Still makes me laugh. In real life, AFAIK, James was very anti

tobacco

--
greymausg@mail.com
"Boris, our once and future PM."

Re: Old US radio shows

<upiftl$2ieb6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29298&group=uk.rec.sheds#29298

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2024 10:20:19 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Fri, 2 Feb 2024 10:20 UTC

Yes I remember the Bob Newhart one very well.
I was listing to a radio channel on Alexa last night called Sci Fi Old time
radio, and low and behold they played an old original Star trek, and a
next generation complete with audio description it said, done by the Sci Fi
Channel. This begs the question, then if these stations can get hold of AD
stuff, why do we not get it on the repeats of these shows on Freeview? There
is something broken here where it seems the AD does not travel with the
original shows. The fact that one assumes these tracks were done by UK
companies might well suggest that the place a lot of the Freeview channels
are getting them from is the original, and thus completely bypassing the AD
specifically done for the UK.
This sort of thing also goes on with films and other series as well. It
seems that not all freeview transmitters are even capable of AD as the flag
vanishes on my Samsung sets on film and legend channels, where as the ones
with AD do not always show AD except for the commercials where these exist.
I think the word shambles describes it well.

Brian

--

--: