From: bas...@spamspamspam.com (Basil Jet)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Marston Vale
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2021 00:44:46 +0100
 by: Basil Jet - Thu, 1 Jul 2021 23:44 UTC

https://www.londonnorthwesternrailway.co.uk/sites/default/files/assets/download_ct/20210514/KhiVaAoAB4FVOEMaz1Cswfs-KVYw-u93QWGmTR25TwY/ln_f_web_may_2021.pdf

The timetable shows only a train every two hours, taking about 45
minutes. Other hours seem to have a pair of buses leaving the start at
the same time, one of which serves about two-thirds of the stations and
takes about an hour, and the other of which serves every station and
takes about 85 minutes. I can't believe my eyes. Are they trying to kill
the line or what? I know there was some problem with availability of the
D-Trains, but this has been going on for years now.

--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
1979 - Eine Symphonie Des Grauens - The Monochrome Set

Re: Marston Vale

<ik9f9eF4errU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2949&group=uk.railway#2949

From: use...@page2.eu (Clive Page)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Marston Vale
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2021 22:37:50 +0100
 by: Clive Page - Fri, 2 Jul 2021 21:37 UTC

On 02/07/2021 00:44, Basil Jet wrote:

> https://www.londonnorthwesternrailway.co.uk/sites/default/files/assets/download_ct/20210514/KhiVaAoAB4FVOEMaz1Cswfs-KVYw-u93QWGmTR25TwY/ln_f_web_may_2021.pdf
>
> The timetable shows only a train every two hours, taking about 45 minutes. Other hours seem to have a pair of buses leaving the start at the same time, one of which serves about two-thirds of the stations and takes about an hour, and the other of which serves every station and takes about 85 minutes. I can't believe my eyes. Are they trying to kill the line or what? I know there was some problem with availability of the D-Trains, but this has been going on for years now.

For what must now be about a year, the local BBC 3 counties Radio traffic news has had a regular item saying that trains are all replaced by buses because of a "shortage of staff". That is so obviouly a lie that I'm amazed that the BBC reporters kept falling for the line, but they did.

One notes that the East-West rail service will use this track - my guess is that the railway authorities are doing their best to ensure that the services are so unattractive that all stations on the line can be closed on the grounds of lack of demand, thus making it much easier to run Oxford to Bedford expresses (and maybe even to Cambridge, but whether the next ice age will arrive first must be an open question).

--
Clive Page