It's very inconvenient to be mortal -- you never know when everything may suddenly stop happening.

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: Tcket Macines revisited

SubjectAuthor
* Tcket Macines revisitedGraeme Wall
`* Tcket Macines revisitedRobert
 `* Tcket Macines revisitedGraeme Wall
  `* Tcket Macines revisitedRoland Perry
   `* Tcket Macines revisitedGraeme Wall
    `* Tcket Macines revisitedRoland Perry
     `* Tcket Macines revisitedGraeme Wall
      +- Tcket Macines revisitedRoland Perry
      `- Tcket Macines revisitedRobert

1
Tcket Macines revisited

<t5oj9g$tm3$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29488&group=uk.railway#29488

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Tcket Macines revisited
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 16:53:20 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Sat, 14 May 2022 15:53 UTC

Harking back to an old discussion, one of the ticket machines at
Guildford was being reloaded with a roll of ticket blanks when I
arrived, by one of the regular station staff. Response to a query by
Roland a while back.
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: Tcket Macines revisited

<jeafgoFsfsU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29501&group=uk.railway#29501

From: monst...@spammedia.com (Robert)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Tcket Macines revisited
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 20:50:48 +0100
 by: Robert - Sat, 14 May 2022 19:50 UTC

On 14/05/2022 16:53, Graeme Wall wrote:

> Harking back to an old discussion, one of the ticket machines at
> Guildford was being reloaded with a roll of ticket blanks when I
> arrived, by one of the regular station staff. Response to a query by
> Roland a while back.

What was the query? Booking clerks normally did service / empty the TVMs
at least until I left the railway in 2017. We had contractors who
serviced a handful of unstaffed stations, but that was it.

Ta,
--
Rob
"I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational

Re: Tcket Macines revisited

<t5p2ou$c86$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29502&group=uk.railway#29502

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 21:17:34 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Sat, 14 May 2022 20:17 UTC

On 14/05/2022 20:50, Robert wrote:
> On 14/05/2022 16:53, Graeme Wall wrote:
>
>> Harking back to an old discussion, one of the ticket machines at
>> Guildford was being reloaded with a roll of ticket blanks when I
>> arrived, by one of the regular station staff. Response to a query by
>> Roland a while back.
>
> What was the query? Booking clerks normally did service / empty the TVMs
> at least until I left the railway in 2017. We had contractors who
> serviced a handful of unstaffed stations, but that was it.

Apparently Roland had come across cases of machines not being reloaded
till someone from head office turned up and wondered if that was a
general problem.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: Tcket Macines revisited

<ClM1fRjgPJgiFAwJ@perry.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29522&group=uk.railway#29522

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 06:47:12 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Sun, 15 May 2022 05:47 UTC

In message <t5p2ou$c86$1@dont-email.me>, at 21:17:34 on Sat, 14 May
2022, Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> remarked:
>On 14/05/2022 20:50, Robert wrote:
>> On 14/05/2022 16:53, Graeme Wall wrote:
>>
>>> Harking back to an old discussion, one of the ticket machines at
>>>Guildford was being reloaded with a roll of ticket blanks when I
>>>arrived, by one of the regular station staff. Response to a query by
>>>Roland a while back.

>> What was the query? Booking clerks normally did service / empty the
>>TVMs at least until I left the railway in 2017. We had contractors
>>who serviced a handful of unstaffed stations, but that was it.
>
>Apparently Roland had come across cases of machines not being reloaded
>till someone from head office turned up and wondered if that was a
>general problem.

Not necessarily Head Office, but a team of roving ticket machine
fettlers (who drive, obviously).

Although the machines have recently been replaced where I've seen that
happening, they would often run out on particularly busy days, even when
the ticket office was manned.

Also another particular issue with Guildford is that it's operated by
Network Rail, so I wonder if Graeme noticed who the employer of those
regular station staff might have been?

If Network Rail (and not SWR) that might trigger slightly different
arrangements, because nearby Wanborough is unmanned, so SWR must have a
mobile team already, and they might regard it as more efficient to have
that team do most of the stations.
--
Roland Perry

Re: Tcket Macines revisited

<t5qapn$lpj$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29533&group=uk.railway#29533

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 08:40:39 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Sun, 15 May 2022 07:40 UTC

On 15/05/2022 06:47, Roland Perry wrote:
> In message <t5p2ou$c86$1@dont-email.me>, at 21:17:34 on Sat, 14 May
> 2022, Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> remarked:

>>>  What was the query? Booking clerks normally did service / empty the
>>> TVMs  at least until I left the railway in 2017. We had contractors
>>> who  serviced a handful of unstaffed stations, but that was it.
>>
>> Apparently Roland had come across cases of machines not being reloaded
>> till someone from head office turned up and wondered if that was a
>> general problem.
>
> Not necessarily Head Office, but a team of roving ticket machine
> fettlers (who drive, obviously).
>
> Although the machines have recently been replaced where I've seen that
> happening, they would often run out on particularly busy days, even when
> the ticket office was manned.
>
> Also another particular issue with Guildford is that it's operated by
> Network Rail, so I wonder if Graeme noticed who the employer of those
> regular station staff might have been?
>
> If Network Rail (and not SWR) that might trigger slightly different
> arrangements, because nearby Wanborough is unmanned, so SWR must have a
> mobile team already, and they might regard it as more efficient to have
> that team do most of the stations.

Or just send someone from either Guildford or Woking to deal with it.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: Tcket Macines revisited

<hD6d2Ez6pLgiFAX8@perry.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29535&group=uk.railway#29535

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 09:31:54 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Sun, 15 May 2022 08:31 UTC

In message <t5qapn$lpj$3@dont-email.me>, at 08:40:39 on Sun, 15 May
2022, Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> remarked:
>On 15/05/2022 06:47, Roland Perry wrote:
>> In message <t5p2ou$c86$1@dont-email.me>, at 21:17:34 on Sat, 14 May
>>2022, Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> remarked:

>>> Apparently Roland had come across cases of machines not being
>>>reloaded till someone from head office turned up and wondered if
>>>that was a general problem.

>> Not necessarily Head Office, but a team of roving ticket machine
>>fettlers (who drive, obviously).

>> Although the machines have recently been replaced where I've seen
>>that happening, they would often run out on particularly busy days,
>>even when the ticket office was manned.

>> Also another particular issue with Guildford is that it's operated
>>by Network Rail, so I wonder if Graeme noticed who the employer of
>>those regular station staff might have been?

>> If Network Rail (and not SWR) that might trigger slightly different
>>arrangements, because nearby Wanborough is unmanned, so SWR must have
>>a mobile team already, and they might regard it as more efficient to
>>have that team do most of the stations.
>
>Or just send someone from either Guildford or Woking to deal with it.

Do the station staff have a pool-car sitting waiting for them?

But that begs the question of whether the station staff at Guildford are
NR or SWR, and do they send such staff out when it's quiet at the ticket
counters (at the big stations) to empty the cash from the TVMs at
unmanned stations
--
Roland Perry

Re: Tcket Macines revisited

<t5qffn$lhr$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29538&group=uk.railway#29538

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 10:00:39 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Sun, 15 May 2022 09:00 UTC

On 15/05/2022 09:31, Roland Perry wrote:
> In message <t5qapn$lpj$3@dont-email.me>, at 08:40:39 on Sun, 15 May
> 2022, Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> remarked:
>> On 15/05/2022 06:47, Roland Perry wrote:
>>> In message <t5p2ou$c86$1@dont-email.me>, at 21:17:34 on Sat, 14 May
>>> 2022, Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> remarked:

>>>  Not necessarily Head Office, but a team of roving ticket machine
>>> fettlers (who drive, obviously).
>
>>>  Although the machines have recently been replaced where I've seen
>>> that  happening, they would often run out on particularly busy days,
>>> even when  the ticket office was manned.
>
>>>  Also another particular issue with Guildford is that it's operated
>>> by  Network Rail, so I wonder if Graeme noticed who the employer of
>>> those  regular station staff might have been?
>
>>>  If Network Rail (and not SWR) that might trigger slightly different
>>> arrangements, because nearby Wanborough is unmanned, so SWR must have
>>> a  mobile team already, and they might regard it as more efficient to
>>> have  that team do most of the stations.
>>
>> Or just send someone from either Guildford or Woking to deal with it.
>
> Do the station staff have a pool-car sitting waiting for them?

With a train ever half hour, why would they need a car?

> But that begs the question of whether the station staff at Guildford are
> NR or SWR, and do they send such staff out when it's quiet at the ticket
> counters (at the big stations) to empty the cash from the TVMs at
> unmanned stations

Or, as the PP pointed out, have contractors that deal with such problems.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: Tcket Macines revisited

<$XcaTN6jlNgiFA0M@perry.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29545&group=uk.railway#29545

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 11:43:47 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Sun, 15 May 2022 10:43 UTC

In message <t5qffn$lhr$2@dont-email.me>, at 10:00:39 on Sun, 15 May
2022, Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> remarked:
>On 15/05/2022 09:31, Roland Perry wrote:
>> In message <t5qapn$lpj$3@dont-email.me>, at 08:40:39 on Sun, 15 May
>>2022, Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> remarked:

>>> Or just send someone from either Guildford or Woking to deal with it.

>> Do the station staff have a pool-car sitting waiting for them?
>
>With a train ever half hour, why would they need a car?

Don't be naive. Railway personnel like that don't use the trains, it
takes too long. Not every line has as much as 2tph, and to visit more
than one station will depend on catching a train to the first, doing 5
minutes work, then waiting 25 minutes for the next (and so on).
And we still don't know if the machines at Guildford are run by the same
people as adjacent SWR-operated stations.

Woking to Wanborough is an hour and a half round trip by train.

>> But that begs the question of whether the station staff at Guildford
>>are NR or SWR, and do they send such staff out when it's quiet at the
>>ticket counters (at the big stations) to empty the cash from the TVMs
>>at unmanned stations
>
>Or, as the PP pointed out, have contractors that deal with such problems.

And perhaps the same 'contractors' also replenish the ticket blanks.
--
Roland Perry

Re: Tcket Macines revisited

<jeg8uoF45u1U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29604&group=uk.railway#29604

From: monst...@spammedia.com (Robert)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 01:35:36 +0100
 by: Robert - Tue, 17 May 2022 00:35 UTC

On 15/05/2022 10:00, Graeme Wall wrote:

>>> Or just send someone from either Guildford or Woking to deal with it.

I can only comment as to how things were, but I wouldn't imagine they
have changed that drastically.

>> Do the station staff have a pool-car sitting waiting for them?

There were such cars, yes.

>> But that begs the question of whether the station staff at Guildford
>> are NR or SWR, and do they send such staff out when it's quiet at the
>> ticket counters (at the big stations) to empty the cash from the TVMs
>> at unmanned stations

Guildford have SWR staff. Contractors would handle the TVMs at unmanned
stations and a designated large staffed station would account for them.
Naturally it would not be wise for me comment about the exact procedures
as I would guess they probably haven't changed that much!

Cheers,