Wad some power the giftie gie us To see oursels as others see us. -- R. Burns

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / BBC account

SubjectAuthor
* BBC accountJeff Layman
+* Re: BBC accountAdrian Caspersz
|+* Re: BBC accountJeff Layman
||+- Re: BBC accountBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
||+* Re: BBC accountAdrian Caspersz
|||`- Re: BBC accountJeff Layman
||`* Re: BBC accountPamela
|| `- Re: BBC accountJeff Layman
|`- Re: BBC accountBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
`- Re: BBC accountBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)

1
BBC account

<snrgmf$2h8$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29574&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#29574

From: jmlay...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: BBC account
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 20:39:43 +0000
 by: Jeff Layman - Fri, 26 Nov 2021 20:39 UTC

For an unknown reason my BBC account has just been lost from my TV, and
I've been asked to sign in again - for the first time in well over a
year. Unfortunately, although I'd been able to sign in again with a new
password on my laptop, I couldn't access anything on the TV which
allowed me to sign in to that.

After three attempts I finally got back into the TV. Anybody else had
this issue recently with their BBC account?

--

Jeff

Re: BBC account

<j0d10tF9k88U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29575&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#29575

From: ema...@here.invalid (Adrian Caspersz)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: BBC account
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 21:14:05 +0000
 by: Adrian Caspersz - Fri, 26 Nov 2021 21:14 UTC

On 26/11/2021 20:39, Jeff Layman wrote:
> For an unknown reason my BBC account has just been lost from my TV, and
> I've been asked to sign in again - for the first time in well over a
> year. Unfortunately, although I'd been able to sign in again with a new
> password on my laptop, I couldn't access anything on the TV which
> allowed me to sign in to that.
>
> After three attempts I finally got back into the TV. Anybody else had
> this issue recently with their BBC account?

Don't you just login on the PC, go to a web page and enter the number
that is displayed on the TV.

That's how most smart TVs join these days (BBC/Youtube/CH5/Ch4/4Play),
you don't need to enter the password on the TV.

--
Adrian C

Re: BBC account

<snrm8s$ct7$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29576&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#29576

From: jmlay...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 22:14:51 +0000
 by: Jeff Layman - Fri, 26 Nov 2021 22:14 UTC

On 26/11/2021 21:14, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
> On 26/11/2021 20:39, Jeff Layman wrote:
>> For an unknown reason my BBC account has just been lost from my TV, and
>> I've been asked to sign in again - for the first time in well over a
>> year. Unfortunately, although I'd been able to sign in again with a new
>> password on my laptop, I couldn't access anything on the TV which
>> allowed me to sign in to that.
>>
>> After three attempts I finally got back into the TV. Anybody else had
>> this issue recently with their BBC account?
>>

> Don't you just login on the PC, go to a web page and enter the number
> that is displayed on the TV.
>
> That's how most smart TVs join these days (BBC/Youtube/CH5/Ch4/4Play),
> you don't need to enter the password on the TV.

That's what's supposed to happen. I got logged on using the laptop, but
I could only use iPlayer on the TV as a guest (via a phone PIN). On the
third attempt the TV recognised I was signed in on the laptop and I had
access to iPlayer on the TV.

I find it odd that you can't sign in directly on the TV. Why isn't it
possible to enter a username and password via the TV's iPlayer app
without messing around with a computer/smartphone?

--

Jeff

Re: BBC account

<snstda$910$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29577&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#29577

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 09:22:45 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Sat, 27 Nov 2021 09:22 UTC

I get eternally annoyed with the bbc. Back last year when I got my tv, I got
a friend to put in the details and it accepted them, but did not echo the
keys from the bluetooth keyboard. All was well till about a week ago when
Alexa the tv and almost everything else said you are not logged into your
account and my log in was wrong when I retried it on a puter. I feel that
the way they carry on, they should take their dummies away. Almost makes you
want to be a hacker.
Now also of course both Alexa ad the TV firmware had an update recently and
its my guess one of those or both has tried to log in with corrupted
details and locked me out, which of course means going in and creating a new
account. Since I don't watch a lot of TV and most bbc radio stations can be
accessed by Alexa ask my tuner radio to play bbc radio Solent or what ever,
with no bbc sounds account, I'm noot rushing to do it.
Bah humbug.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Jeff Layman" <jmlayman@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> For an unknown reason my BBC account has just been lost from my TV, and
> I've been asked to sign in again - for the first time in well over a year.
> Unfortunately, although I'd been able to sign in again with a new password
> on my laptop, I couldn't access anything on the TV which allowed me to
> sign in to that.
>
> After three attempts I finally got back into the TV. Anybody else had this
> issue recently with their BBC account?
>
> --
>
> Jeff

Re: BBC account

<snstfe$9cc$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29578&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#29578

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 09:23:53 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Sat, 27 Nov 2021 09:23 UTC

For me thatis not an option as it can't read the thing.

"Adrian Caspersz" <email@here.invalid> wrote in message
> On 26/11/2021 20:39, Jeff Layman wrote:
>> For an unknown reason my BBC account has just been lost from my TV, and
>> I've been asked to sign in again - for the first time in well over a
>> year. Unfortunately, although I'd been able to sign in again with a new
>> password on my laptop, I couldn't access anything on the TV which allowed
>> me to sign in to that.
>>
>> After three attempts I finally got back into the TV. Anybody else had
>> this issue recently with their BBC account?
>>

> Don't you just login on the PC, go to a web page and enter the number that
> is displayed on the TV.
>
> That's how most smart TVs join these days (BBC/Youtube/CH5/Ch4/4Play), you
> don't need to enter the password on the TV.
>
> --
> Adrian C

Re: BBC account

<snstk0$a7t$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29579&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#29579

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 09:26:19 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Sat, 27 Nov 2021 09:26 UTC

I did not even know about this, since its not obvious on the tv or alexa
app for that matter.
Next you will find its via a qr code I suppose. sigh, badly thought out
again.

> On 26/11/2021 21:14, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
>> On 26/11/2021 20:39, Jeff Layman wrote:
>>> For an unknown reason my BBC account has just been lost from my TV, and
>>> I've been asked to sign in again - for the first time in well over a
>>> year. Unfortunately, although I'd been able to sign in again with a new
>>> password on my laptop, I couldn't access anything on the TV which
>>> allowed me to sign in to that.
>>>
>>> After three attempts I finally got back into the TV. Anybody else had
>>> this issue recently with their BBC account?
>>>

>> Don't you just login on the PC, go to a web page and enter the number
>> that is displayed on the TV.
>>
>> That's how most smart TVs join these days (BBC/Youtube/CH5/Ch4/4Play),
>> you don't need to enter the password on the TV.
>
> That's what's supposed to happen. I got logged on using the laptop, but I
> could only use iPlayer on the TV as a guest (via a phone PIN). On the
> third attempt the TV recognised I was signed in on the laptop and I had
> access to iPlayer on the TV.
>
> I find it odd that you can't sign in directly on the TV. Why isn't it
> possible to enter a username and password via the TV's iPlayer app without
> messing around with a computer/smartphone?
>
> --
>
> Jeff

Re: BBC account

<j0ehupFibnpU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29581&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#29581

From: ema...@here.invalid (Adrian Caspersz)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 11:09:12 +0000
 by: Adrian Caspersz - Sat, 27 Nov 2021 11:09 UTC

On 26/11/2021 22:14, Jeff Layman wrote:

> I find it odd that you can't sign in directly on the TV. Why isn't it
> possible to enter a username and password via the TV's iPlayer app
> without messing around with a computer/smartphone?

Perhaps on-screen keyboards are too complicated for each platform, or
the TV platform is too insecure to be trusted with hashing and
communicating passwords.

On this Amazon stick, iPlayer offered me an option to use a landline, to
sign up without a mobile or computer. However, most (if not all) users
of the Amazon stick are _very_ connected to the internet and email, so I
don't think there will be many takers of that feature.

--
Adrian C

Re: BBC account

<sntc1m$79t$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29584&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#29584

From: jmlay...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 13:32:37 +0000
 by: Jeff Layman - Sat, 27 Nov 2021 13:32 UTC

On 27/11/2021 11:09, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
> On 26/11/2021 22:14, Jeff Layman wrote:
>>
>> I find it odd that you can't sign in directly on the TV. Why isn't it
>> possible to enter a username and password via the TV's iPlayer app
>> without messing around with a computer/smartphone?
>
> Perhaps on-screen keyboards are too complicated for each platform, or
> the TV platform is too insecure to be trusted with hashing and
> communicating passwords.

Perhaps, but the tv iPlayer app must be communicating with the iPlayer
server at the BBC for them to know it's me and that I've previously
signed up with them. So it's sending ID info of some sort across the
internet from my tv to the BBC.

I don't have any other "catch-up" accounts (ITV hub, My5, etc). Do they
all require computer sign-on first before allowing access via the TV app?

> On this Amazon stick, iPlayer offered me an option to use a landline, to
> sign up without a mobile or computer. However, most (if not all) users
> of the Amazon stick are _very_ connected to the internet and email, so I
> don't think there will be many takers of that feature.

My iPlayer app also has that option. There is limited access to iPlayer
via a PIN obtained by phoning the BBC. The access lasts for a day only.

--

Jeff

Re: BBC account

<XnsADF071EB6FB0537B93@144.76.35.252>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29600&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#29600

From: pamela.p...@gmail.com (Pamela)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 11:11:55 GMT
 by: Pamela - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 11:11 UTC

On 22:14 26 Nov 2021, Jeff Layman said:

> On 26/11/2021 21:14, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
>> On 26/11/2021 20:39, Jeff Layman wrote:
>>> For an unknown reason my BBC account has just been lost from my
>>> TV, and I've been asked to sign in again - for the first time in
>>> well over a year. Unfortunately, although I'd been able to sign in
>>> again with a new password on my laptop, I couldn't access anything
>>> on the TV which allowed me to sign in to that.
>>>
>>> After three attempts I finally got back into the TV. Anybody else
>>> had this issue recently with their BBC account?
>>>

>> Don't you just login on the PC, go to a web page and enter the
>> number that is displayed on the TV.
>>
>> That's how most smart TVs join these days
>> (BBC/Youtube/CH5/Ch4/4Play), you don't need to enter the password
>> on the TV.
>
> That's what's supposed to happen. I got logged on using the laptop,
> but I could only use iPlayer on the TV as a guest (via a phone PIN).
> On the third attempt the TV recognised I was signed in on the laptop
> and I had access to iPlayer on the TV.

Bad internet connection?

> I find it odd that you can't sign in directly on the TV. Why isn't
> it possible to enter a username and password via the TV's iPlayer
> app without messing around with a computer/smartphone?

Re: BBC account

<so1vul$dh7$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29610&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#29610

From: jmlay...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 07:36:51 +0000
 by: Jeff Layman - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 07:36 UTC

On 28/11/2021 11:11, Pamela wrote:
> On 22:14 26 Nov 2021, Jeff Layman said:

>> That's what's supposed to happen. I got logged on using the laptop,
>> but I could only use iPlayer on the TV as a guest (via a phone PIN).
>> On the third attempt the TV recognised I was signed in on the laptop
>> and I had access to iPlayer on the TV.
>
> Bad internet connection?

Very unlikely. It happened several times over 15 minutes of trying to
sign in, and I was able to "sign in" as a guest for 24 hours. The rest
of my internet stuff goes through the same wifi connection and that was
fine throughout.

--

Jeff