Noone ever built a statue to a critic.

aus+uk / uk.sport.cricket / Re: 42 no balls!

SubjectAuthor
* 42 no balls!miked
+* Re: 42 no balls!John Hall
|`* Re: 42 no balls!John Hall
| `* Re: 42 no balls!miked
|  `* Re: 42 no balls!miked
|   +- Re: 42 no balls!David North
|   `- Re: 42 no balls!John Hall
`* Re: 42 no balls!David North
 `* Re: 42 no balls!miked
  `* Re: 42 no balls!John Hall
   `* Re: 42 no balls!David North
    `* Re: 42 no balls!miked
     `* Re: 42 no balls!David North
      `* Re: 42 no balls!miked
       `* Re: 42 no balls!John Hall
        `* Re: 42 no balls!miked
         `* Re: 42 no balls!dnorth
          `* Re: 42 no balls!miked
           `* Re: 42 no balls!John Hall
            +* Re: 42 no balls!miked
            |`- Re: 42 no balls!John Hall
            `* Re: 42 no balls!max.it
             `* Re: 42 no balls!miked
              `* Re: 42 no balls!John Hall
               +* Re: 42 no balls!miked
               |`- Re: 42 no balls!John Hall
               +- Re: 42 no balls!David North
               `* Re: 42 no balls!Mister Johnson
                `- Re: 42 no balls!miked

Pages:12
42 no balls!

<1de69655e38ac75ef081ecf80caf883f@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29567&group=uk.sport.cricket#29567

Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 00:09:23 +0000
Subject: 42 no balls!
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (miked)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
 by: miked - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 00:09 UTC

Against Yorks at Headingley the leeds/bradfords students bowled
42 no balls in just 46 overs. Maybe the runups were rather wet,
and i dunno if 1 particular bowler had a problem or they all
shared, but it seems rather a lot. But their direction was
fine, not a single wide.

mike

Re: 42 no balls!

<CxAR6$Bb8+AmFwB2@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29570&group=uk.sport.cricket#29570

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: Re: 42 no balls!
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 10:04:11 +0000
 by: John Hall - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 10:04 UTC

In message <1de69655e38ac75ef081ecf80caf883f@www.novabbs.com>, miked
<dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>Against Yorks at Headingley the leeds/bradfords students bowled
>42 no balls in just 46 overs. Maybe the runups were rather wet,
>and i dunno if 1 particular bowler had a problem or they all
>shared, but it seems rather a lot. But their direction was
>fine, not a single wide.
>
>mike

Even for a student side and at the start of the season, that's pretty
poor. Some work on grooving run-ups seems called for.

I'd spotted the university games' potted scores in my newspaper and
realised that, totally devoid of any fanfare, the season had begun. Of
course none of the university matches are f-c any more, but even so it
seems a significant moment.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people

Re: 42 no balls!

<vcyeAyACRGBmFwvh@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29571&group=uk.sport.cricket#29571

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 18:24:02 +0000
 by: John Hall - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 18:24 UTC

In message <CxAR6$Bb8+AmFwB2@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>, John Hall
<john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> writes
>In message <1de69655e38ac75ef081ecf80caf883f@www.novabbs.com>, miked
><dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>>Against Yorks at Headingley the leeds/bradfords students bowled
>>42 no balls in just 46 overs. Maybe the runups were rather wet,
>>and i dunno if 1 particular bowler had a problem or they all
>>shared, but it seems rather a lot. But their direction was
>>fine, not a single wide.
>>
>>mike
>
>Even for a student side and at the start of the season, that's pretty
>poor. Some work on grooving run-ups seems called for.
>
>I'd spotted the university games' potted scores in my newspaper and
>realised that, totally devoid of any fanfare, the season had begun. Of
>course none of the university matches are f-c any more, but even so it
>seems a significant moment.

In another sign of spring, I've just heard my first ice-cream van chimes
of the year.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
from coughing."
Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)

Re: 42 no balls!

<e9a3648ee49b525994812ca40f3433d8@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29573&group=uk.sport.cricket#29573

Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 22:18:25 +0000
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (miked)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
 by: miked - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 22:18 UTC

John Hall wrote:

> In message <CxAR6$Bb8+AmFwB2@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>, John Hall
> <john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> writes
>>In message <1de69655e38ac75ef081ecf80caf883f@www.novabbs.com>, miked
>><dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>>>Against Yorks at Headingley the leeds/bradfords students bowled
>>>42 no balls in just 46 overs. Maybe the runups were rather wet,
>>>and i dunno if 1 particular bowler had a problem or they all
>>>shared, but it seems rather a lot. But their direction was
>>>fine, not a single wide.
>>>
>>>mike
>>
>>Even for a student side and at the start of the season, that's pretty
>>poor. Some work on grooving run-ups seems called for.
>>
>>I'd spotted the university games' potted scores in my newspaper and
>>realised that, totally devoid of any fanfare, the season had begun. Of
>>course none of the university matches are f-c any more, but even so it
>>seems a significant moment.

i think there were some earlier uni matches that were completly rained off
but even so it seems quite an early start. I think the CC starts on april 5th.

> In another sign of spring, I've just heard my first ice-cream van chimes
> of the year.

cor theyre a bit hopeful. i guess its cos the schools are on holiday.

mike

Re: 42 no balls!

<b2d3f6f916748fa0ffd22b968d60a873@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29575&group=uk.sport.cricket#29575

Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 22:32:52 +0000
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (miked)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
 by: miked - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 22:32 UTC

miked wrote:

> John Hall wrote:

>> In message <CxAR6$Bb8+AmFwB2@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>, John Hall
>> <john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> writes
>>>In message <1de69655e38ac75ef081ecf80caf883f@www.novabbs.com>, miked
>>><dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes

>>>Even for a student side and at the start of the season, that's pretty
>>>poor. Some work on grooving run-ups seems called for.
>>>
>>>I'd spotted the university games' potted scores in my newspaper and
>>>realised that, totally devoid of any fanfare, the season had begun. Of
>>>course none of the university matches are f-c any more, but even so it
>>>seems a significant moment.

> i think there were some earlier uni matches that were completly rained off
> but even so it seems quite an early start. I think the CC starts on april 5th.

>> In another sign of spring, I've just heard my first ice-cream van chimes
>> of the year.

> cor theyre a bit hopeful. i guess its cos the schools are on holiday.

> mike

I just looked at the scores and noticed at Durham

Norris c Mustard b Potts

i think durham had another keeper called mustard some years ago, wonder
if its a dynasty?

mike

Re: 42 no balls!

<l6kh88Fjpe3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29576&group=uk.sport.cricket#29576

From: nos...@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 06:32:39 +0000
 by: David North - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 06:32 UTC

On 27/03/2024 00:09, miked wrote:
> Against Yorks at Headingley the leeds/bradfords students bowled
> 42 no balls in just 46 overs. Maybe the runups were rather wet,
> and i dunno if 1 particular bowler had a problem or they all
> shared, but it seems rather a lot. But their direction was
> fine, not a single wide.

They actually bowled 21 no balls, and were penalised 2 runs for each.

--
David North

Re: 42 no balls!

<l6khpfFjpe3U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29577&group=uk.sport.cricket#29577

From: nos...@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 06:41:50 +0000
 by: David North - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 06:41 UTC

On 27/03/2024 22:32, miked wrote:
> miked wrote:
>
>> John Hall wrote:
>
>>> In message <CxAR6$Bb8+AmFwB2@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>, John Hall
>>> <john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> writes

>> i think there were some earlier uni matches that were completly rained
>> off
>> but even so it seems quite an early start. I think the CC starts on
>> april 5th.
>
>>> In another sign of spring, I've just heard my first ice-cream van
>>> chimes of the year.
>
>> cor theyre a bit hopeful. i guess its cos the schools are on holiday.
>
>> mike
>
> I just looked at the scores and noticed at Durham
>
> Norris    c Mustard    b Potts
>
> i think durham had another keeper called mustard some years ago, wonder
> if its a dynasty?

Yes, it's Haydon Mustard, Phil's son. He played 1 match in the U-19 WC
last month.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/icc-under-19-world-cup-2023-24-1399722/england-under-19s-vs-zimbabwe-under-19s-38th-match-super-sixes-group-2-1399761/full-scorecard

--
David North

Re: 42 no balls!

<QoERt$AYtSBmFwqM@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29579&group=uk.sport.cricket#29579

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 08:33:28 +0000
 by: John Hall - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 08:33 UTC

In message <b2d3f6f916748fa0ffd22b968d60a873@www.novabbs.com>, miked
<dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>miked wrote:
>
>> John Hall wrote:
>
>>> In message <CxAR6$Bb8+AmFwB2@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>, John Hall
>>><john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> writes

>> i think there were some earlier uni matches that were completly rained off
>> but even so it seems quite an early start. I think the CC starts on
>>april 5th.
>
>>> In another sign of spring, I've just heard my first ice-cream van
>>>chimes of the year.
>
>> cor theyre a bit hopeful. i guess its cos the schools are on holiday.

I think they broke up here at lunch-time yesterday. The ice-cream van
didn't come round till about 5, though, so even on a school day the kids
would have been home.

>> mike
>
>I just looked at the scores and noticed at Durham
>
>Norris c Mustard b Potts

I like "Mustard Potts". :)

>i think durham had another keeper called mustard some years ago, wonder
>if its a dynasty?
>
>mike

Checking, yes they are father and son.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
from coughing."
Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)

Re: 42 no balls!

<ccebb10ec6c9077454fb953256b43988@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29580&group=uk.sport.cricket#29580

Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 11:10:05 +0000
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (miked)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
 by: miked - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 11:10 UTC

David North wrote:

> On 27/03/2024 00:09, miked wrote:
>> Against Yorks at Headingley the leeds/bradfords students bowled
>> 42 no balls in just 46 overs. Maybe the runups were rather wet,
>> and i dunno if 1 particular bowler had a problem or they all
>> shared, but it seems rather a lot. But their direction was
>> fine, not a single wide.

> They actually bowled 21 no balls, and were penalised 2 runs for each.

I didnt realise it was 2 now. Is that a new rule change for the CC as well,
or has it been so for some time?

mike

Re: 42 no balls!

<MjsuHXASfZBmFwYd@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29581&group=uk.sport.cricket#29581

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 16:16:18 +0000
 by: John Hall - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 16:16 UTC

In message <ccebb10ec6c9077454fb953256b43988@www.novabbs.com>, miked
<dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>David North wrote:
>
>> On 27/03/2024 00:09, miked wrote:
>>> Against Yorks at Headingley the leeds/bradfords students bowled
>>> 42 no balls in just 46 overs. Maybe the runups were rather wet,
>>> and i dunno if 1 particular bowler had a problem or they all
>>> shared, but it seems rather a lot. But their direction was
>>> fine, not a single wide.
>
>> They actually bowled 21 no balls, and were penalised 2 runs for each.
>
>I didnt realise it was 2 now. Is that a new rule change for the CC as well,
>or has it been so for some time?
>
>mike

I think it's been 2 in the CC for quite a few years.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
from coughing."
Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)

Re: 42 no balls!

<l6o4qvF51vrU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29583&group=uk.sport.cricket#29583

From: nos...@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 15:25:18 +0000
 by: David North - Fri, 29 Mar 2024 15:25 UTC

On 28/03/2024 16:16, John Hall wrote:
> In message <ccebb10ec6c9077454fb953256b43988@www.novabbs.com>, miked
> <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>> David North wrote:

>>> They actually bowled 21 no balls, and were penalised 2 runs for each.
>>
>> I didnt realise it was 2 now. Is that a new rule change for the CC as
>> well,
>> or has it been so for some time?
>>
>> mike
>
> I think it's been 2 in the CC for quite a few years.

It appears that the change was introduced to the CC as early as 1993!

--
David North

Re: 42 no balls!

<c394303392bd4d84e7cc52f0fe61d39c@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29584&group=uk.sport.cricket#29584

Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 17:51:29 +0000
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (miked)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
 by: miked - Fri, 29 Mar 2024 17:51 UTC

David North wrote:

> On 28/03/2024 16:16, John Hall wrote:
>> In message <ccebb10ec6c9077454fb953256b43988@www.novabbs.com>, miked
>> <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes

>>> I didnt realise it was 2 now. Is that a new rule change for the CC as
>>> well,
>>> or has it been so for some time?
>>>
>>> mike
>>
>> I think it's been 2 in the CC for quite a few years.

> It appears that the change was introduced to the CC as early as 1993!

crikey i'd never noticed! Is that the same for FC cricket all over? Its
still just 1 in tests and odi isnt it?

mike

Re: 42 no balls!

<l6oepdF74fhU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29585&group=uk.sport.cricket#29585

From: nos...@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 18:15:08 +0000
 by: David North - Fri, 29 Mar 2024 18:15 UTC

On 29/03/2024 17:51, miked wrote:
> David North wrote:
>
>> On 28/03/2024 16:16, John Hall wrote:
>>> In message <ccebb10ec6c9077454fb953256b43988@www.novabbs.com>, miked
>>> <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes

>>> I think it's been 2 in the CC for quite a few years.
>
>> It appears that the change was introduced to the CC as early as 1993!
>
> crikey i'd never noticed! Is that the same for FC cricket all  over?

It seems to be just England and Ireland.

> Its
> still just 1 in tests and odi isnt it?

Yes

--
David North

Re: 42 no balls!

<640a2b03e73201d4a4b903fd94480d9d@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29586&group=uk.sport.cricket#29586

Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2024 16:06:20 +0000
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (miked)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
 by: miked - Sun, 31 Mar 2024 16:06 UTC

David North wrote:

> On 29/03/2024 17:51, miked wrote:
>> David North wrote:

>>> It appears that the change was introduced to the CC as early as 1993!
>>
>> crikey i'd never noticed! Is that the same for FC cricket all  over?

> It seems to be just England and Ireland.

>> Its
>> still just 1 in tests and odi isnt it?

> Yes

but in the kent innings today, 22 nb 10 lb 5b, total 37, same at taunton 1nb = 1run. Have the bbc
got it wrong or are the scorers unaware?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/scorecard/ECKE1217160

these are all uni matches so whats the difference from the durham match?

mike

Re: 42 no balls!

<jH$mLuAN8ZCmFwn3@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29587&group=uk.sport.cricket#29587

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2024 18:36:13 +0100
 by: John Hall - Sun, 31 Mar 2024 17:36 UTC

In message <640a2b03e73201d4a4b903fd94480d9d@www.novabbs.com>, miked
<dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>David North wrote:

>>> crikey i'd never noticed! Is that the same for FC cricket all
>>>over?
>
>> It seems to be just England and Ireland.
>
>>> Its
>>> still just 1 in tests and odi isnt it?
>
>> Yes
>
>but in the kent innings today, 22 nb 10 lb 5b, total 37, same at
>taunton 1nb = 1run. Have the bbc
>got it wrong or are the scorers unaware?
>https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/scorecard/ECKE1217160
>
>these are all uni matches so whats the difference from the durham match?
>
>mike

I think the nb are shown as the number of runs accruing rather than the
number of no balls bowled. So 11 were bowled, each costing two runs.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
from coughing."
Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)

Re: 42 no balls!

<d1b862cf508f21b90021cabfeffecb12@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29588&group=uk.sport.cricket#29588

Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2024 21:27:13 +0000
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (miked)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
References: <1de69655e38ac75ef081ecf80caf883f@www.novabbs.com> <l6kh88Fjpe3U1@mid.individual.net> <ccebb10ec6c9077454fb953256b43988@www.novabbs.com> <MjsuHXASfZBmFwYd@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <l6o4qvF51vrU1@mid.individual.net> <c394303392bd4d84e7cc52f0fe61d39c@www.novabbs.com> <l6oepdF74fhU2@mid.individual.net> <640a2b03e73201d4a4b903fd94480d9d@www.novabbs.com> <jH$mLuAN8ZCmFwn3@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>
 by: miked - Sun, 31 Mar 2024 21:27 UTC

John Hall wrote:

> In message <640a2b03e73201d4a4b903fd94480d9d@www.novabbs.com>, miked
> <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>>David North wrote:

>>> It seems to be just England and Ireland.

>>> Yes
>>
>>but in the kent innings today, 22 nb 10 lb 5b, total 37, same at
>>taunton 1nb = 1run. Have the bbc
>>got it wrong or are the scorers unaware?
>>https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/scorecard/ECKE1217160
>>
>>these are all uni matches so whats the difference from the durham match?
>>
>>mike

> I think the nb are shown as the number of runs accruing rather than the
> number of no balls bowled. So 11 were bowled, each costing two runs.

ok i'm being dense, good thing i was never a scorer!

mike

Re: 42 no balls!

<f37654f2d32708ee8c5f71ea3fb7a0e7@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29589&group=uk.sport.cricket#29589

Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 12:28:56 +0000
From: use...@lanefarm.plus.com (dnorth)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
References: <1de69655e38ac75ef081ecf80caf883f@www.novabbs.com> <l6kh88Fjpe3U1@mid.individual.net> <ccebb10ec6c9077454fb953256b43988@www.novabbs.com> <MjsuHXASfZBmFwYd@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <l6o4qvF51vrU1@mid.individual.net> <c394303392bd4d84e7cc52f0fe61d39c@www.novabbs.com> <l6oepdF74fhU2@mid.individual.net> <640a2b03e73201d4a4b903fd94480d9d@www.novabbs.com> <jH$mLuAN8ZCmFwn3@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <d1b862cf508f21b90021cabfeffecb12@www.novabbs.com>
 by: dnorth - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 12:28 UTC

miked wrote:

> John Hall wrote:

>> In message <640a2b03e73201d4a4b903fd94480d9d@www.novabbs.com>, miked
>> <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes

>>>but in the kent innings today, 22 nb 10 lb 5b, total 37, same at
>>>taunton 1nb = 1run. Have the bbc
>>>got it wrong or are the scorers unaware?
>>>https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/scorecard/ECKE1217160
>>>
>>>these are all uni matches so whats the difference from the durham match?
>>>
>>>mike

>> I think the nb are shown as the number of runs accruing rather than the
>> number of no balls bowled. So 11 were bowled, each costing two runs.

> ok i'm being dense, good thing i was never a scorer!

Cricinfo's bowling figures usually show the actual number of wides and no-balls each bowler bowled.

Failing that, if a scorecard shows the number of balls each batsman faced, it will include no-balls (but not wides), so if you add them up and subtract 6 times the number of overs bowled in the innings, that should give you the number of no-balls bowled. That's what I did for the Headingley match to arrive at the conclusion that the penalty was 2 runs.

Re: 42 no balls!

<53100dcd7115a9d06bb7b860c6626e09@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29590&group=uk.sport.cricket#29590

Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 17:13:58 +0000
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (miked)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
References: <1de69655e38ac75ef081ecf80caf883f@www.novabbs.com> <l6kh88Fjpe3U1@mid.individual.net> <ccebb10ec6c9077454fb953256b43988@www.novabbs.com> <MjsuHXASfZBmFwYd@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <l6o4qvF51vrU1@mid.individual.net> <c394303392bd4d84e7cc52f0fe61d39c@www.novabbs.com> <l6oepdF74fhU2@mid.individual.net> <640a2b03e73201d4a4b903fd94480d9d@www.novabbs.com> <jH$mLuAN8ZCmFwn3@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <d1b862cf508f21b90021cabfeffecb12@www.novabbs.com> <f37654f2d32708ee8c5f71ea3fb7a0e7@www.novabbs.com>
 by: miked - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 17:13 UTC

dnorth wrote:

> miked wrote:

>> John Hall wrote:

>>> I think the nb are shown as the number of runs accruing rather than the
>>> number of no balls bowled. So 11 were bowled, each costing two runs.

>> ok i'm being dense, good thing i was never a scorer!

> Cricinfo's bowling figures usually show the actual number of wides and no-balls each bowler bowled.

> Failing that, if a scorecard shows the number of balls each batsman faced, it will include no-balls (but not wides), so if you add them up and subtract 6 times the number of overs bowled in the innings, that should give you the number of no-balls bowled. That's what I did for the Headingley match to arrive at the conclusion that the penalty was 2 runs.

I also noticed that in these uni matches a nummber of county batters ret inj, when theyve made a
score, i spose they could all be injured [Denly Bell-D, Abell, Northeast], although i hope not,
usually its ret out, when a team wants to rest a batter and give someone else practice, like in
all those tour matches england play. Although in the somerset match both their openers seem to
have ret out in the 2nd dig. These matches are now not FC but 'other' arnt they, so i wouldnt
think its cos if they ret inj it betters their average!

mike

Re: 42 no balls!

<JKqkwIBmuFDmFwqQ@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29591&group=uk.sport.cricket#29591

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 20:25:26 +0100
<MjsuHXASfZBmFwYd@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <l6o4qvF51vrU1@mid.individual.net>
<c394303392bd4d84e7cc52f0fe61d39c@www.novabbs.com>
<l6oepdF74fhU2@mid.individual.net>
<640a2b03e73201d4a4b903fd94480d9d@www.novabbs.com>
<jH$mLuAN8ZCmFwn3@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>
<d1b862cf508f21b90021cabfeffecb12@www.novabbs.com>
<f37654f2d32708ee8c5f71ea3fb7a0e7@www.novabbs.com>
<53100dcd7115a9d06bb7b860c6626e09@www.novabbs.com>
 by: John Hall - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 19:25 UTC

In message <53100dcd7115a9d06bb7b860c6626e09@www.novabbs.com>, miked
<dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>dnorth wrote:
>
>> miked wrote:

>>> ok i'm being dense, good thing i was never a scorer!
>
>> Cricinfo's bowling figures usually show the actual number of wides
>>and no-balls each bowler bowled.
>
>> Failing that, if a scorecard shows the number of balls each batsman
>>faced, it will include no-balls (but not wides), so if you add them up
>>and subtract 6 times the number of overs bowled in the innings, that
>>should give you the number of no-balls bowled. That's what I did for
>>the Headingley match to arrive at the conclusion that the penalty was 2 runs.
>
>I also noticed that in these uni matches a nummber of county batters
>ret inj, when theyve made a
>score, i spose they could all be injured [Denly Bell-D, Abell,
>Northeast], although i hope not, usually its ret out, when a team wants
>to rest a batter and give someone else practice, like in all those tour
>matches england play. Although in the somerset match both their openers
>seem to have ret out in the 2nd dig. These matches are now not FC but
>'other' arnt they, so i wouldnt think its cos if they ret inj it
>betters their average!
>
>mike

I agree, you wouldn't think they'd be too bothered about what their
average would be in non-fc matches. But that number of "ret inj" does
seem suspicious.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
from coughing."
Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)

Re: 42 no balls!

<86e5a9ec833f0b845414c32f917f838e@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29592&group=uk.sport.cricket#29592

Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 22:19:43 +0000
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (miked)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
References: <1de69655e38ac75ef081ecf80caf883f@www.novabbs.com> <l6kh88Fjpe3U1@mid.individual.net> <ccebb10ec6c9077454fb953256b43988@www.novabbs.com> <MjsuHXASfZBmFwYd@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <l6o4qvF51vrU1@mid.individual.net> <c394303392bd4d84e7cc52f0fe61d39c@www.novabbs.com> <l6oepdF74fhU2@mid.individual.net> <640a2b03e73201d4a4b903fd94480d9d@www.novabbs.com> <jH$mLuAN8ZCmFwn3@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <d1b862cf508f21b90021cabfeffecb12@www.novabbs.com> <f37654f2d32708ee8c5f71ea3fb7a0e7@www.novabbs.com> <53100dcd7115a9d06bb7b860c6626e09@www.novabbs.com> <JKqkwIBmuFDmFwqQ@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>
 by: miked - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 22:19 UTC

John Hall wrote:

> In message <53100dcd7115a9d06bb7b860c6626e09@www.novabbs.com>, miked
> <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>>dnorth wrote:

>>> Cricinfo's bowling figures usually show the actual number of wides
>>>and no-balls each bowler bowled.
>>
>>> Failing that, if a scorecard shows the number of balls each batsman
>>>faced, it will include no-balls (but not wides), so if you add them up
>>>and subtract 6 times the number of overs bowled in the innings, that
>>>should give you the number of no-balls bowled. That's what I did for
>>>the Headingley match to arrive at the conclusion that the penalty was 2 runs.
>>
>>I also noticed that in these uni matches a nummber of county batters
>>ret inj, when theyve made a
>>score, i spose they could all be injured [Denly Bell-D, Abell,
>>Northeast], although i hope not, usually its ret out, when a team wants
>>to rest a batter and give someone else practice, like in all those tour
>>matches england play. Although in the somerset match both their openers
>>seem to have ret out in the 2nd dig. These matches are now not FC but
>>'other' arnt they, so i wouldnt think its cos if they ret inj it
>>betters their average!
>>
>>mike

> I agree, you wouldn't think they'd be too bothered about what their
> average would be in non-fc matches. But that number of "ret inj" does
> seem suspicious.

i get the scores from BBC website, so it might be an error, and they
all are ret out, but Bell-D was ok enough to bat in the 2nd.

mike

Re: 42 no balls!

<940p0j1170ckj17mrkv9ng23h255nf4nos@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29593&group=uk.sport.cricket#29593

From: max...@tea.time (max.it)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2024 23:16:40 +0100
References: <MjsuHXASfZBmFwYd@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <l6o4qvF51vrU1@mid.individual.net> <c394303392bd4d84e7cc52f0fe61d39c@www.novabbs.com> <l6oepdF74fhU2@mid.individual.net> <640a2b03e73201d4a4b903fd94480d9d@www.novabbs.com> <jH$mLuAN8ZCmFwn3@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <d1b862cf508f21b90021cabfeffecb12@www.novabbs.com> <f37654f2d32708ee8c5f71ea3fb7a0e7@www.novabbs.com> <53100dcd7115a9d06bb7b860c6626e09@www.novabbs.com> <JKqkwIBmuFDmFwqQ@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>
 by: max.it - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 22:16 UTC

On Tue, 2 Apr 2024 20:25:26 +0100, John Hall <john_nospam@jhall.co.uk>
wrote:

>In message <53100dcd7115a9d06bb7b860c6626e09@www.novabbs.com>, miked
><dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>>dnorth wrote:

>>> Cricinfo's bowling figures usually show the actual number of wides
>>>and no-balls each bowler bowled.
>>
>>> Failing that, if a scorecard shows the number of balls each batsman
>>>faced, it will include no-balls (but not wides), so if you add them up
>>>and subtract 6 times the number of overs bowled in the innings, that
>>>should give you the number of no-balls bowled. That's what I did for
>>>the Headingley match to arrive at the conclusion that the penalty was 2 runs.
>>
>>I also noticed that in these uni matches a nummber of county batters
>>ret inj, when theyve made a
>>score, i spose they could all be injured [Denly Bell-D, Abell,
>>Northeast], although i hope not, usually its ret out, when a team wants
>>to rest a batter and give someone else practice, like in all those tour
>>matches england play. Although in the somerset match both their openers
>>seem to have ret out in the 2nd dig. These matches are now not FC but
>>'other' arnt they, so i wouldnt think its cos if they ret inj it
>>betters their average!
>>
>>mike
>
>I agree, you wouldn't think they'd be too bothered about what their
>average would be in non-fc matches. But that number of "ret inj" does
>seem suspicious.

There is only retired out or retired not out to choose from. Retired
injured would be retired not out because of the possibility of the
batsman being repaired and resuming his innings.
It's one of those mystical scoring things involving the side notes and
filling in things in the right place post match.
You can't be retired out until after you have had the opportunity to
not resume your innings even if you never intended to and the
opposition skipper would have refused permission anyway. So you have
to wait in kind of semi retirement until after the match until you can
be recorded as retired out. Also the scorers won't know why the
batsman has retired until the umpires tell them.

max.it

Re: 42 no balls!

<440e00cf6cac2efbc5d5d593544b00e2@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29595&group=uk.sport.cricket#29595

Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 00:08:35 +0000
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (miked)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
References: <MjsuHXASfZBmFwYd@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <l6o4qvF51vrU1@mid.individual.net> <c394303392bd4d84e7cc52f0fe61d39c@www.novabbs.com> <l6oepdF74fhU2@mid.individual.net> <640a2b03e73201d4a4b903fd94480d9d@www.novabbs.com> <jH$mLuAN8ZCmFwn3@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <d1b862cf508f21b90021cabfeffecb12@www.novabbs.com> <f37654f2d32708ee8c5f71ea3fb7a0e7@www.novabbs.com> <53100dcd7115a9d06bb7b860c6626e09@www.novabbs.com> <JKqkwIBmuFDmFwqQ@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <940p0j1170ckj17mrkv9ng23h255nf4nos@4ax.com>
 by: miked - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 00:08 UTC

max.it wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Apr 2024 20:25:26 +0100, John Hall <john_nospam@jhall.co.uk>
> wrote:
>>In message <53100dcd7115a9d06bb7b860c6626e09@www.novabbs.com>, miked
>><dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes

>>>I also noticed that in these uni matches a nummber of county batters
>>>ret inj, when theyve made a
>>>score, i spose they could all be injured [Denly Bell-D, Abell,
>>>Northeast], although i hope not, usually its ret out, when a team wants
>>>to rest a batter and give someone else practice, like in all those tour
>>>matches england play. Although in the somerset match both their openers
>>>seem to have ret out in the 2nd dig. These matches are now not FC but
>>>'other' arnt they, so i wouldnt think its cos if they ret inj it
>>>betters their average!
>>>
>>>mike
>>
>>I agree, you wouldn't think they'd be too bothered about what their
>>average would be in non-fc matches. But that number of "ret inj" does
>>seem suspicious.
>>
> There is only retired out or retired not out to choose from. Retired
> injured would be retired not out because of the possibility of the
> batsman being repaired and resuming his innings.
> It's one of those mystical scoring things involving the side notes and
> filling in things in the right place post match.
> You can't be retired out until after you have had the opportunity to
> not resume your innings even if you never intended to and the
> opposition skipper would have refused permission anyway. So you have
> to wait in kind of semi retirement until after the match until you can
> be recorded as retired out. Also the scorers won't know why the
> batsman has retired until the umpires tell them.

> max.it

thanks

Also in Kents game it seems as if both Denlys, father and son played
on the same team. At least Joe batted, and Jadyn bowled. I wondered
whether this had happened before for a county, and was told on another
forum [within 10 minutes!] that it was the Lillywhites, but this must
have been like 150 yrs ago!

Not for county teams, but some other places on the net said that
Bedi and his son played in matches together, so did Geoff Marsh and
his son, and Lillee and his son also at least once, but the status
of any of those matches wasnt mentioned.

mike

Re: 42 no balls!

<HfK31sBmpQDmFwbe@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29598&group=uk.sport.cricket#29598

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 08:51:02 +0100
<MjsuHXASfZBmFwYd@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <l6o4qvF51vrU1@mid.individual.net>
<c394303392bd4d84e7cc52f0fe61d39c@www.novabbs.com>
<l6oepdF74fhU2@mid.individual.net>
<640a2b03e73201d4a4b903fd94480d9d@www.novabbs.com>
<jH$mLuAN8ZCmFwn3@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>
<d1b862cf508f21b90021cabfeffecb12@www.novabbs.com>
<f37654f2d32708ee8c5f71ea3fb7a0e7@www.novabbs.com>
<53100dcd7115a9d06bb7b860c6626e09@www.novabbs.com>
<JKqkwIBmuFDmFwqQ@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>
<86e5a9ec833f0b845414c32f917f838e@www.novabbs.com>
 by: John Hall - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 07:51 UTC

In message <86e5a9ec833f0b845414c32f917f838e@www.novabbs.com>, miked
<dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>John Hall wrote:
>
>> In message <53100dcd7115a9d06bb7b860c6626e09@www.novabbs.com>, miked
>><dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes

>>>I also noticed that in these uni matches a nummber of county batters
>>>ret inj, when theyve made a
>>>score, i spose they could all be injured [Denly Bell-D, Abell,
>>>Northeast], although i hope not, usually its ret out, when a team
>>>wants to rest a batter and give someone else practice, like in all
>>>those tour matches england play. Although in the somerset match both
>>>their openers seem to have ret out in the 2nd dig. These matches are
>>>now not FC but 'other' arnt they, so i wouldnt think its cos if they
>>>ret inj it betters their average!
>>>
>>>mike
>
>> I agree, you wouldn't think they'd be too bothered about what their
>>average would be in non-fc matches. But that number of "ret inj" does
>>seem suspicious.
>
>i get the scores from BBC website, so it might be an error, and they
>all are ret out, but Bell-D was ok enough to bat in the 2nd.
>
>mike

I've had a look on CricketArchive at their scorecard for the Kent match.
It gives both Bell-Drummond and Joe Denly as being "retired hurt".
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
from coughing."
Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)

Re: 42 no balls!

<efXxl$ASkQDmFw4i@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29599&group=uk.sport.cricket#29599

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 08:45:22 +0100
<940p0j1170ckj17mrkv9ng23h255nf4nos@4ax.com>
<440e00cf6cac2efbc5d5d593544b00e2@www.novabbs.com>
 by: John Hall - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 07:45 UTC

In message <440e00cf6cac2efbc5d5d593544b00e2@www.novabbs.com>, miked
<dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>Also in Kents game it seems as if both Denlys, father and son played
>on the same team. At least Joe batted, and Jadyn bowled.

I see that Joe Denly is only 38, so he must have become a father when
still pretty young.

> I wondered whether this had happened before for a county, and was told
>on another forum [within 10 minutes!] that it was the Lillywhites, but
>this must have been like 150 yrs ago!
>
>Not for county teams, but some other places on the net said that Bedi
>and his son played in matches together, so did Geoff Marsh and his son,
>and Lillee and his son also at least once, but the status
>of any of those matches wasnt mentioned.

There's a much more recent instance in England than the Lillywhites. In
1931, at the age of 52 George Gunn scored 183 for Notts against
Warwickshire, with his son scoring 100 not out in the same innings, both
scoring hundreds being a unique occurrence in first-class cricket.

I suspect that there are more recent instances than that in county
cricket of father and son playing together, but without both of then
scoring centuries of course.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
from coughing."
Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)

Re: 42 no balls!

<8185b97417c3a42a8233747323088822@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29601&group=uk.sport.cricket#29601

Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 21:43:44 +0000
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (miked)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
References: <MjsuHXASfZBmFwYd@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <l6o4qvF51vrU1@mid.individual.net> <c394303392bd4d84e7cc52f0fe61d39c@www.novabbs.com> <l6oepdF74fhU2@mid.individual.net> <640a2b03e73201d4a4b903fd94480d9d@www.novabbs.com> <jH$mLuAN8ZCmFwn3@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <d1b862cf508f21b90021cabfeffecb12@www.novabbs.com> <f37654f2d32708ee8c5f71ea3fb7a0e7@www.novabbs.com> <53100dcd7115a9d06bb7b860c6626e09@www.novabbs.com> <JKqkwIBmuFDmFwqQ@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <940p0j1170ckj17mrkv9ng23h255nf4nos@4ax.com> <440e00cf6cac2efbc5d5d593544b00e2@www.novabbs.com> <efXxl$ASkQDmFw4i@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>
 by: miked - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 21:43 UTC

John Hall wrote:

> In message <440e00cf6cac2efbc5d5d593544b00e2@www.novabbs.com>, miked
> <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>>Also in Kents game it seems as if both Denlys, father and son played
>>on the same team. At least Joe batted, and Jadyn bowled.

> I see that Joe Denly is only 38, so he must have become a father when
> still pretty young.

>> I wondered whether this had happened before for a county, and was told
>>on another forum [within 10 minutes!] that it was the Lillywhites, but
>>this must have been like 150 yrs ago!
>>
>>Not for county teams, but some other places on the net said that Bedi
>>and his son played in matches together, so did Geoff Marsh and his son,
>>and Lillee and his son also at least once, but the status
>>of any of those matches wasnt mentioned.

> There's a much more recent instance in England than the Lillywhites. In
> 1931, at the age of 52 George Gunn scored 183 for Notts against
> Warwickshire, with his son scoring 100 not out in the same innings, both
> scoring hundreds being a unique occurrence in first-class cricket.

> I suspect that there are more recent instances than that in county
> cricket of father and son playing together, but without both of then
> scoring centuries of course.

That really is so remarkable i'm surprised its not better known. Imagine what
the media would do with that today, but i expect back in the day, they
just had a pint in the pub. Incidentally wiki says that when play ended
Gunn jr was on 95 but Charles Harris persuaded Arthur Carr the Warwicks
captain to continue so young Gunn could get his 100. There must be something
wrong with this as Carr was of course the Notts captain!

mike

mike