You have not converted a man because you have silenced him. -- John Viscount Morley

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: Rail industry prepares for summer strikes

SubjectAuthor
* Rail industry prepares for summer strikesRecliner
+* Rail industry prepares for summer strikesScott
|`* Rail industry prepares for summer strikesColinR
| `- Rail industry prepares for summer strikesScott
`* Rail industry prepares for summer strikesRecliner
 `* Rail industry prepares for summer strikesMuttley
  +* Rail industry prepares for summer strikesRecliner
  |`* Rail industry prepares for summer strikesMuttley
  | +* Rail industry prepares for summer strikesSam Wilson
  | |`* Rail industry prepares for summer strikesMuttley
  | | `* Rail industry prepares for summer strikesSam Wilson
  | |  `* Rail industry prepares for summer strikesMuttley
  | |   `- Rail industry prepares for summer strikesSam Wilson
  | `* Rail industry prepares for summer strikesAnna Noyd-Dryver
  |  `* Rail industry prepares for summer strikesMuttley
  |   `* Rail industry prepares for summer strikesSam Wilson
  |    `- Rail industry prepares for summer strikesMuttley
  +* Rail industry prepares for summer strikesScott
  |`* Rail industry prepares for summer strikesRecliner
  | `- Rail industry prepares for summer strikesArthur Figgis
  `* Rail industry prepares for summer strikesCharles Ellson
   `* Rail industry prepares for summer strikesMuttley
    `* Rail industry prepares for summer strikesCharles Ellson
     `* Rail industry prepares for summer strikesRecliner
      +- Rail industry prepares for summer strikesCertes
      +- Rail industry prepares for summer strikesRoland Perry
      `- Rail industry prepares for summer strikesGraeme Wall

Pages:12
Rail industry prepares for summer strikes

<t5sluj$8gm$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29558&group=uk.railway#29558

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Rail industry prepares for summer strikes
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 05:03:15 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:pE0MG6tqDACpEOteM+pXO25/2VI=
 by: Recliner - Mon, 16 May 2022 05:03 UTC

<https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/92e4441c-d47e-11ec-8585-951ab3afb4d2?shareToken=27147263613e2be21ac7e21276fc6f97>

Re: Rail industry prepares for summer strikes

<4t248ht431bqgv8h14rjjn0m9g9tkdr4c1@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29561&group=uk.railway#29561

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Rail industry prepares for summer strikes
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 09:32:05 +0100
 by: Scott - Mon, 16 May 2022 08:32 UTC

On Mon, 16 May 2022 05:03:15 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
<recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

><https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/92e4441c-d47e-11ec-8585-951ab3afb4d2?shareToken=27147263613e2be21ac7e21276fc6f97>

They seem to be rehearsing on ScotRail already:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-61457827

I'm thinking of suggesting to Nicola they should get some advice from
P&O then dismiss all the drivers and employ agency staff :-)

Re: Rail industry prepares for summer strikes

<t5thnp$v2t$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29585&group=uk.railway#29585

From: rai...@greystane.shetland.co.uk (ColinR)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 13:57:36 +0100
 by: ColinR - Mon, 16 May 2022 12:57 UTC

On 16/05/2022 09:32, Scott wrote:
> On Mon, 16 May 2022 05:03:15 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
> <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> <https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/92e4441c-d47e-11ec-8585-951ab3afb4d2?shareToken=27147263613e2be21ac7e21276fc6f97>
>
> They seem to be rehearsing on ScotRail already:
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-61457827
>
> I'm thinking of suggesting to Nicola they should get some advice from
> P&O then dismiss all the drivers and employ agency staff :-)

Ah, but first you would have to change the trains flag to Cyprus and
employ the staff through a Jersey based company ....

--
Colin

Re: Rail industry prepares for summer strikes

<hcq48hlubaaijrvpg5650ssoq9q4qv8pjg@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29590&group=uk.railway#29590

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 16:12:15 +0100
 by: Scott - Mon, 16 May 2022 15:12 UTC

On Mon, 16 May 2022 13:57:36 +0100, ColinR
<rail@greystane.shetland.co.uk> wrote:

>On 16/05/2022 09:32, Scott wrote:
>> On Mon, 16 May 2022 05:03:15 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
>> <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> <https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/92e4441c-d47e-11ec-8585-951ab3afb4d2?shareToken=27147263613e2be21ac7e21276fc6f97>
>>
>> They seem to be rehearsing on ScotRail already:
>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-61457827
>>
>> I'm thinking of suggesting to Nicola they should get some advice from
>> P&O then dismiss all the drivers and employ agency staff :-)
>
>Ah, but first you would have to change the trains flag to Cyprus and
>employ the staff through a Jersey based company ....

Or Guernsey maybe? I'm sure it could be arranged ...

Re: Rail industry prepares for summer strikes

<t68ue2$795$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29803&group=uk.railway#29803

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 20:41:38 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:9sy1q6XnrCnih3k4JiFKLBiV2+E=
 by: Recliner - Fri, 20 May 2022 20:41 UTC

Ministers fear ‘biggest rail strike in modern history’

<https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ministers-fear-biggest-rail-strike-in-modern-history-509fzzzlp>

Re: Rail industry prepares for summer strikes

<t6a83a$1e6$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29808&group=uk.railway#29808

From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 08:32:42 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Sat, 21 May 2022 08:32 UTC

On Fri, 20 May 2022 20:41:38 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>Ministers fear ‘biggest rail strike in modern history’
>
><https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ministers-fear-biggest-rail-strike-in-moder
>n-history-509fzzzlp>

The usual entitled overpaid left wing troublemakers giving the finger to the
rest of the country. Pity Thatcher isn't still around , she'd have nailed
these fuckers to the wall long ago.

Re: Rail industry prepares for summer strikes

<t6a8c4$ogg$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29810&group=uk.railway#29810

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 08:37:24 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:rtKaFJqcY7oSFdkP1JOZj/W8FwQ=
 by: Recliner - Sat, 21 May 2022 08:37 UTC

<Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 20 May 2022 20:41:38 -0000 (UTC)
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Ministers fear ‘biggest rail strike in modern history’
>>
>> <https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ministers-fear-biggest-rail-strike-in-moder
>> n-history-509fzzzlp>
>
> The usual entitled overpaid left wing troublemakers giving the finger to the
> rest of the country. Pity Thatcher isn't still around , she'd have nailed
> these fuckers to the wall long ago.

<https://twitter.com/__dean___/status/1527725552764960770?s=21&t=8ajzKTlycd2CKNEaQ4WTvA>

Re: Rail industry prepares for summer strikes

<db9h8hhtpdun1ldv4g9h0a07lum6u57mh8@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29812&group=uk.railway#29812

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 09:43:55 +0100
 by: Scott - Sat, 21 May 2022 08:43 UTC

On Sat, 21 May 2022 08:32:42 -0000 (UTC), Muttley@dastardlyhq.com
wrote:

>On Fri, 20 May 2022 20:41:38 -0000 (UTC)
>Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>>Ministers fear ‘biggest rail strike in modern history’
>>
>><https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ministers-fear-biggest-rail-strike-in-moder
>>n-history-509fzzzlp>
>
>The usual entitled overpaid left wing troublemakers giving the finger to the
>rest of the country. Pity Thatcher isn't still around , she'd have nailed
>these fuckers to the wall long ago.

Pretty good interview on Radio Scotland with Neil Bibby (Labour).
About the only thing he had to say was that the SNP government needs
to engage in meaningful talks; also talk about the cost of living
crisis.

When the interviewer put it to him that there are carers, shift
workers and others earning less than £30k who may be unable to get to
work so that drivers already earning £50-60k can earn more money,
Bibby was flummoxed. Said they needed meaningful talks.

Re: Rail industry prepares for summer strikes

<t6abar$1b9a$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29814&group=uk.railway#29814

From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 09:27:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Sat, 21 May 2022 09:27 UTC

On Sat, 21 May 2022 08:37:24 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
><Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 20 May 2022 20:41:38 -0000 (UTC)
>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Ministers fear ‘biggest rail strike in modern history’
>>>

><https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ministers-fear-biggest-rail-strike-in-moder
>
>>> n-history-509fzzzlp>
>>
>> The usual entitled overpaid left wing troublemakers giving the finger to the
>> rest of the country. Pity Thatcher isn't still around , she'd have nailed
>> these fuckers to the wall long ago.
>
><https://twitter.com/__dean___/status/1527725552764960770?s=21&t=8ajzKTlycd2CKN
>EaQ4WTvA>

So no different to an HGV driver then except they don't have to be able to
reverse an 18 metre articulated vehicle around a corner.

Re: Rail industry prepares for summer strikes

<t6bijp$m6q$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29829&group=uk.railway#29829

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 20:38:17 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:qkjnr31h8J1hdrurhlE9ChbtBYI=
 by: Recliner - Sat, 21 May 2022 20:38 UTC

Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sat, 21 May 2022 08:32:42 -0000 (UTC), Muttley@dastardlyhq.com
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 20 May 2022 20:41:38 -0000 (UTC)
>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Ministers fear ‘biggest rail strike in modern history’
>>>
>>> <https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ministers-fear-biggest-rail-strike-in-moder
>>> n-history-509fzzzlp>
>>
>> The usual entitled overpaid left wing troublemakers giving the finger to the
>> rest of the country. Pity Thatcher isn't still around , she'd have nailed
>> these fuckers to the wall long ago.
>>
> Pretty good interview on Radio Scotland with Neil Bibby (Labour).
> About the only thing he had to say was that the SNP government needs
> to engage in meaningful talks; also talk about the cost of living
> crisis.
>
> When the interviewer put it to him that there are carers, shift
> workers and others earning less than £30k who may be unable to get to
> work so that drivers already earning £50-60k can earn more money,
> Bibby was flummoxed. Said they needed meaningful talks.

From
<https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/05/21/tories-poised-torpedo-unions-threat-bring-country-standstill>

The Conservatives are threatening to launch a double-pronged attack against
trade unions in an effort to break their stranglehold on the public.

Grant Shapps, the Transport Secretary, told The Telegraph that the
Government was poised to draw up laws requiring minimum numbers of rail
staff to work during a strike. The law would make any industrial action
illegal if those levels were not met.

The intervention came as a ballot of 40,000 Rail, Maritime and Transport
Workers (RMT) union members was due to close on Tuesday, with Mick Lynch,
the body’s general secretary, having warned that a strike would “bring the
country to a standstill”.

The Transport Salaried Staffs’ Association, which has vowed to coordinate
with the RMT, has threatened the biggest disruption since the General
Strike in 1926, over job cuts and pay freezes.

Separately, Nadhim Zahawi, the Education Secretary, is planning to loosen
the grip of trade unions on schools.

Mr Zahawi is examining plans to bolster the rights of teachers who choose
not to join unions. He wants to amend the Employment Relations Act to
enshrine the rights of teachers to be accompanied to grievance and
disciplinary meetings by an external lawyer or representative of a body
other than a union.

Currently, the law only requires employers to allow staff to be joined by a
trade union representative or colleague.

Government sources suggested that many teachers join unions simply to
protect themselves in the event that they face allegations of abuse.

Re: Rail industry prepares for summer strikes

<eo3j8h93g3ejgd8k7u0ob2jbjam68gc9m3@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29836&group=uk.railway#29836

From: charlese...@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 02:26:47 +0100
 by: Charles Ellson - Sun, 22 May 2022 01:26 UTC

wrote:

>On Fri, 20 May 2022 20:41:38 -0000 (UTC)
>Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>>Ministers fear ‘biggest rail strike in modern history’
>>
>><https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ministers-fear-biggest-rail-strike-in-moder
>>n-history-509fzzzlp>
>
>The usual entitled overpaid left wing troublemakers giving the finger to the
>rest of the country. Pity Thatcher isn't still around , she'd have nailed
>these fuckers to the wall long ago.

"Entitled left wingers"?
You think none of them are filthy capitalists[TM]?
The Tories provided the foundations by passing the railways into the
hands of competing companies who to some extent have been outbidding
each other for the drivers services. People who find their incomes
increased will often increase their spend on long term commitments
such as mortgages etc. (some for the council housing that Thatcher
gave away) with an ongoing need to make sure their income keeps pace.

Re: Rail industry prepares for summer strikes

<1eKdnSXFDIXTfBT_nZ2dnUU7-TmdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29839&group=uk.railway#29839

Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 08:07:58 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: afig...@example.invalid (Arthur Figgis)
 by: Arthur Figgis - Sun, 22 May 2022 07:07 UTC

On 21/05/2022 21:38, Recliner wrote:

> The Transport Salaried Staffs’ Association, which has vowed to coordinate
> with the RMT, has threatened the biggest disruption since the General
> Strike in 1926, over job cuts and pay freezes.

Does that mean random people get to have a go at driving trams and things?

Asking for a friend.
--
Arthur Figgis

Re: Rail industry prepares for summer strikes

<t6cr55$mg9$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29842&group=uk.railway#29842

From: ukr...@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 08:10:13 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:80GOkueqNyYoIdvLW512ZQsSyB4=
 by: Sam Wilson - Sun, 22 May 2022 08:10 UTC

<Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 21 May 2022 08:37:24 -0000 (UTC)
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> <Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>>>>

>> <https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ministers-fear-biggest-rail-strike-in-moder

>>> The usual entitled overpaid left wing troublemakers giving the finger to the
>>> rest of the country. Pity Thatcher isn't still around , she'd have nailed
>>> these fuckers to the wall long ago.
>>
>> <https://twitter.com/__dean___/status/1527725552764960770?s=21&t=8ajzKTlycd2CKN
>> EaQ4WTvA>
>
> So no different to an HGV driver then except they don't have to be able to
> reverse an 18 metre articulated vehicle around a corner.

So you didn’t actually read it then, or are you just pleading poetic
licence?

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: Rail industry prepares for summer strikes

<t6df84$n3o$4@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29850&group=uk.railway#29850

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 13:53:08 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:BmMujSx0CfD0cFWg8fuexg/AsSE=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Sun, 22 May 2022 13:53 UTC

<Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 21 May 2022 08:37:24 -0000 (UTC)
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> <Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>>>>

>> <https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ministers-fear-biggest-rail-strike-in-moder

>>> The usual entitled overpaid left wing troublemakers giving the finger to the
>>> rest of the country. Pity Thatcher isn't still around , she'd have nailed
>>> these fuckers to the wall long ago.
>>
>> <https://twitter.com/__dean___/status/1527725552764960770?s=21&t=8ajzKTlycd2CKN
>> EaQ4WTvA>
>
> So no different to an HGV driver then except they don't have to be able to
> reverse an 18 metre articulated vehicle around a corner.

HGVs drive at full speed in 50m visibility fog? And take up to a mile to
stop?

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: Rail industry prepares for summer strikes

<t6fj2f$1gns$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29866&group=uk.railway#29866

From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 09:10:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Mon, 23 May 2022 09:10 UTC

On Sun, 22 May 2022 02:26:47 +0100
Charles Ellson <charlesellson@btinternet.com> wrote:
>On Sat, 21 May 2022 08:32:42 -0000 (UTC), Muttley@dastardlyhq.com
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 20 May 2022 20:41:38 -0000 (UTC)
>>Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>Ministers fear ‘biggest rail strike in modern history’
>>>
>>><https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ministers-fear-biggest-rail-strike-in-mod
>er
>>>n-history-509fzzzlp>
>>
>>The usual entitled overpaid left wing troublemakers giving the finger to the
>>rest of the country. Pity Thatcher isn't still around , she'd have nailed
>>these fuckers to the wall long ago.
>>
>"Entitled left wingers"?
>You think none of them are filthy capitalists[TM]?

They parade as lefties, standing up for "the people". Public sector workers
are all entitled - bullet proof pensions and the sense that they deserve
inflation linked payrises when almost no one in the private sector is getting
them.

Re: Rail industry prepares for summer strikes

<t6fj3e$1hmo$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29867&group=uk.railway#29867

From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 09:11:10 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Mon, 23 May 2022 09:11 UTC

On Sun, 22 May 2022 08:10:13 -0000 (UTC)
Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:
><Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 21 May 2022 08:37:24 -0000 (UTC)
>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>>

><https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ministers-fear-biggest-rail-strike-in-moder

>the
>>>

><https://twitter.com/__dean___/status/1527725552764960770?s=21&t=8ajzKTlycd2CKN
>
>>> EaQ4WTvA>
>>
>> So no different to an HGV driver then except they don't have to be able to
>> reverse an 18 metre articulated vehicle around a corner.
>
>So you didn’t actually read it then, or are you just pleading poetic
>licence?

I read it. And driving an HGV or a bus is harder. End.

Re: Rail industry prepares for summer strikes

<t6fj8f$1jsc$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29868&group=uk.railway#29868

From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 09:13:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Mon, 23 May 2022 09:13 UTC

On Sun, 22 May 2022 13:53:08 -0000 (UTC)
Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> wrote:
><Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 21 May 2022 08:37:24 -0000 (UTC)
>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>>

><https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ministers-fear-biggest-rail-strike-in-moder

>the
>>>

><https://twitter.com/__dean___/status/1527725552764960770?s=21&t=8ajzKTlycd2CKN
>
>>> EaQ4WTvA>
>>
>> So no different to an HGV driver then except they don't have to be able to
>> reverse an 18 metre articulated vehicle around a corner.
>>

>HGVs drive at full speed in 50m visibility fog? And take up to a mile to
>stop?

Such hardship. Tell me - when was the last time driving your train you had
to worry about other trains cutting in front of you or being in your blind
spot? Or worry about whether your train could fit the loading gauge of your
route? Or have to navigate it around narrow streets with a load of other
pissed off drivers behind as you then have to reverse it blind around a corner?

You train drivers have a cushy little number and get paid a lot for doing not
much IMO.

Re: Rail industry prepares for summer strikes

<t6gbol$vj0$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29900&group=uk.railway#29900

From: ukr...@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 16:12:05 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:2xsBWn7PX0FGMldABh8f7y3reEQ=
 by: Sam Wilson - Mon, 23 May 2022 16:12 UTC

<Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 22 May 2022 08:10:13 -0000 (UTC)
> Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:
>> <Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>>>>>>

>> <https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ministers-fear-biggest-rail-strike-in-moder

>> the
>>>>

>> <https://twitter.com/__dean___/status/1527725552764960770?s=21&t=8ajzKTlycd2CKN

>>> So no different to an HGV driver then except they don't have to be able to
>>> reverse an 18 metre articulated vehicle around a corner.
>>
>> So you didn’t actually read it then, or are you just pleading poetic
>> licence?
>
> I read it. And driving an HGV or a bus is harder. End.

Genuine questions: 1) You’ve done both so you can compare them? 2) HGV
drivers have to have repeat driving tests periodically?

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: Rail industry prepares for summer strikes

<t6gbsv$or$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29901&group=uk.railway#29901

From: ukr...@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 16:14:23 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:w3i9ZiffefwerbmM2j6mXM9CkvA=
 by: Sam Wilson - Mon, 23 May 2022 16:14 UTC

<Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 22 May 2022 13:53:08 -0000 (UTC)
> Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> wrote:
>> <Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>>>>>>

>> <https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ministers-fear-biggest-rail-strike-in-moder

>> the
>>>>

>> <https://twitter.com/__dean___/status/1527725552764960770?s=21&t=8ajzKTlycd2CKN

>>> So no different to an HGV driver then except they don't have to be able to
>>> reverse an 18 metre articulated vehicle around a corner.
>>>

>> HGVs drive at full speed in 50m visibility fog? And take up to a mile to
>> stop?
>
> Such hardship. Tell me - when was the last time driving your train you had
> to worry about other trains cutting in front of you or being in your blind
> spot? Or worry about whether your train could fit the loading gauge of your
> route? Or have to navigate it around narrow streets with a load of other
> pissed off drivers behind as you then have to reverse it blind around a corner?
>
> You train drivers have a cushy little number and get paid a lot for doing not
> much IMO.

Different skill sets - difficult to make a direct comparison of which is
harder, don’t you think?

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: Rail industry prepares for summer strikes

<lvbn8h9d63umaukdd9g8bacbf58pj1b6ef@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29902&group=uk.railway#29902

From: charlese...@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 17:16:29 +0100
 by: Charles Ellson - Mon, 23 May 2022 16:16 UTC

On Mon, 23 May 2022 09:10:39 -0000 (UTC), Muttley@dastardlyhq.com
wrote:

>On Sun, 22 May 2022 02:26:47 +0100
>Charles Ellson <charlesellson@btinternet.com> wrote:
>>On Sat, 21 May 2022 08:32:42 -0000 (UTC), Muttley@dastardlyhq.com
>>wrote:

>>er
>>>
>>>The usual entitled overpaid left wing troublemakers giving the finger to the
>>>rest of the country. Pity Thatcher isn't still around , she'd have nailed
>>>these fuckers to the wall long ago.
>>>
>>"Entitled left wingers"?
>>You think none of them are filthy capitalists[TM]?
>
>They parade as lefties, standing up for "the people". Public sector workers
>are all entitled - bullet proof pensions and the sense that they deserve
>inflation linked payrises when almost no one in the private sector is getting
>them.

"Inflation-linked" ? They are linked to the CPI half a year before the
revision date. The 12 month CPI to April 2022 was 7.8%; pensions went
up by 3.1%, the same as my private sector pension.

Re: Rail industry prepares for summer strikes

<t6h3p0$q5p$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29926&group=uk.railway#29926

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 23:01:52 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:75Yk+BwEqCLHkcyaZNaocRe96p8=
 by: Recliner - Mon, 23 May 2022 23:01 UTC

Signallers are centre of attention in vote over national rail strike

<https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/signallers-are-centre-of-attention-in-vote-over-national-rail-strike-0k0x53m5c>

Re: Rail industry prepares for summer strikes

<t6h70v$c91$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29927&group=uk.railway#29927

From: non...@nowhere.net (Certes)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 00:57:19 +0100
 by: Certes - Mon, 23 May 2022 23:57 UTC

On 24/05/2022 00:01, Recliner wrote:
> Signallers are centre of attention in vote over national rail strike
>
> <https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/signallers-are-centre-of-attention-in-vote-over-national-rail-strike-0k0x53m5c>

Apparently they're "holding the levers", in a departure from the usual
set of clichés.

Re: Rail industry prepares for summer strikes

<cQiiymPXcHjiFApo@perry.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29929&group=uk.railway#29929

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 07:11:35 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Tue, 24 May 2022 06:11 UTC

In message <t6h3p0$q5p$1@dont-email.me>, at 23:01:52 on Mon, 23 May
2022, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:

>Signallers are centre of attention in vote over national rail strike
>
><https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/signallers-are-centre-of-attention-i
>n-vote-over-national-rail-strike-0k0x53m5c>

I remember a signallers strike back in 1970, which I wouldn't have
otherwise noticed apart from attending a summer-school (similar to
modern day Smallpeice Trust) at one of the Universities in Central
London.

To keep as many passengers as possible on the move, they doubled up the
length of the EMUs (to perhaps 8+8) resulting in them having to stop
twice at most stations. At the terminus in London they would only have
had a handful of platforms open, so must have accommodated the
over-length trains by leaving some of it hanging off the country end.
--
Roland Perry

Re: Rail industry prepares for summer strikes

<t6hvfu$ncb$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29931&group=uk.railway#29931

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 07:54:54 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Tue, 24 May 2022 06:54 UTC

On 24/05/2022 00:01, Recliner wrote:
> Signallers are centre of attention in vote over national rail strike
>
> <https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/signallers-are-centre-of-attention-in-vote-over-national-rail-strike-0k0x53m5c>

Welcome to the wonderful world of the nationalised railways.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: Rail industry prepares for summer strikes

<t6hvki$1jqs$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29932&group=uk.railway#29932

From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 06:57:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Tue, 24 May 2022 06:57 UTC

On Mon, 23 May 2022 16:12:05 -0000 (UTC)
Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:
><Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 22 May 2022 08:10:13 -0000 (UTC)
>> Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:
>>>>>>>

><https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ministers-fear-biggest-rail-strike-in-moder

>>> the

><https://twitter.com/__dean___/status/1527725552764960770?s=21&t=8ajzKTlycd2CKN

>>> So you didn’t actually read it then, or are you just pleading poetic
>>> licence?
>>
>> I read it. And driving an HGV or a bus is harder. End.
>
>Genuine questions: 1) You’ve done both so you can compare them? 2) HGV
>drivers have to have repeat driving tests periodically?

1) I've never driven a train but I've got an HGV and bus license (though I've
never driven either commercially, only privately).
2) No, only a medical every 5 years if you're over 40. Not sure what happens
after 65, haven't checked.