It is often easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission. -- Grace Murray Hopper

aus+uk / uk.railway / Heaton-Edinburgh ECS via Carlisle

SubjectAuthor
* Heaton-Edinburgh ECS via CarlisleSam Wilson
+* Heaton-Edinburgh ECS via CarlisleRoland Perry
|`* Heaton-Edinburgh ECS via CarlisleSam Wilson
| `- Heaton-Edinburgh ECS via CarlisleRoland Perry
`- Heaton-Edinburgh ECS via CarlisleKen

1
Heaton-Edinburgh ECS via Carlisle

<t5voi2$r1t$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29617&group=uk.railway#29617

From: ukr...@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Heaton-Edinburgh ECS via Carlisle
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 09:06:10 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:jYWXC+HujEEN56sAGDKL/GYN1+U=
 by: Sam Wilson - Tue, 17 May 2022 09:06 UTC

Last week I had occasion to pass Carstairs southbound and on the northbound
track of the WCML, apparently waiting for the line to Edinburgh, was a
5-car LNER Azuma. I had a quick look at RTT and it seems to have been this
one, an ECS move from Heaton (Newcastle) to Edinburgh. I’m guessing this
must run for route familiarisation for diversions rather than being a
sensible way to get a train from Newcastle to Edinburgh. Would there be
any other reason?

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:N50056/2022-05-10/detailed#allox_id=0

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: Heaton-Edinburgh ECS via Carlisle

<wCmJ2H4JI4giFAFJ@perry.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29624&group=uk.railway#29624

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Heaton-Edinburgh ECS via Carlisle
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 12:07:53 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Tue, 17 May 2022 11:07 UTC

In message <t5voi2$r1t$1@dont-email.me>, at 09:06:10 on Tue, 17 May 2022, Sam
Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> remarked:

>Last week I had occasion to pass Carstairs southbound and on the northbound
>track of the WCML, apparently waiting for the line to Edinburgh, was a
>5-car LNER Azuma. I had a quick look at RTT and it seems to have been this
>one, an ECS move from Heaton (Newcastle) to Edinburgh. I’m guessing this
>must run for route familiarisation for diversions rather than being a
>sensible way to get a train from Newcastle to Edinburgh. Would there be
>any other reason?
>
>https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:N50056/2022-05-10/detailed#allox
>_id=0

It's often instructive to see "what happened next"...

ECS to Glasgow

<https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:N50058/2022-05-10/detailed#allo
x_id=0>

And back to Edinburgh

<https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:N50059/2022-05-10/detailed>

And then Heaton

<https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:N50061/2022-05-10/detailed#allo
x_id=0>
--
Roland Perry

Re: Heaton-Edinburgh ECS via Carlisle

<t60224$t7m$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29628&group=uk.railway#29628

From: ukr...@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 11:48:20 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:g1iXEhB1qL441+/dOfUoDchBEyw=
 by: Sam Wilson - Tue, 17 May 2022 11:48 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <t5voi2$r1t$1@dont-email.me>, at 09:06:10 on Tue, 17 May 2022, Sam
> Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> remarked:
>
>> Last week I had occasion to pass Carstairs southbound and on the northbound
>> track of the WCML, apparently waiting for the line to Edinburgh, was a
>> 5-car LNER Azuma. I had a quick look at RTT and it seems to have been this
>> one, an ECS move from Heaton (Newcastle) to Edinburgh. I’m guessing this
>> must run for route familiarisation for diversions rather than being a
>> sensible way to get a train from Newcastle to Edinburgh. Would there be
>> any other reason?
>>
>> https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:N50056/2022-05-10/detailed#allox
>> _id=0
>
> It's often instructive to see "what happened next"...
>
> ECS to Glasgow
>
> <https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:N50058/2022-05-10/detailed#allo
> x_id=0>
>
> And back to Edinburgh
>
> <https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:N50059/2022-05-10/detailed>
>
> And then Heaton
>
> <https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:N50061/2022-05-10/detailed#allo
> x_id=0>

Thank you - I’ll think of that next time. Interesting that it went around
the Edinburgh south suburban line on diesel before switching back to
electric at Slateford and then back to Heaton by way of Carlisle.

Thanks again,

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: Heaton-Edinburgh ECS via Carlisle

<CCDFmi$dD5giFAyi@perry.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29633&group=uk.railway#29633

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 13:11:09 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Tue, 17 May 2022 12:11 UTC

In message <t60224$t7m$1@dont-email.me>, at 11:48:20 on Tue, 17 May
2022, Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> remarked:
>Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>> In message <t5voi2$r1t$1@dont-email.me>, at 09:06:10 on Tue, 17 May 2022, Sam
>> Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> remarked:
>>
>>> Last week I had occasion to pass Carstairs southbound and on the northbound
>>> track of the WCML, apparently waiting for the line to Edinburgh, was a
>>> 5-car LNER Azuma. I had a quick look at RTT and it seems to have been this
>>> one, an ECS move from Heaton (Newcastle) to Edinburgh. I’m guessing this
>>> must run for route familiarisation for diversions rather than being a
>>> sensible way to get a train from Newcastle to Edinburgh. Would there be
>>> any other reason?
>>>

>>>https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:N50056/2022-05-10/detai
>>>led#allox
>>> _id=0
>>
>> It's often instructive to see "what happened next"...
>>
>> ECS to Glasgow
>>

>><https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:N50058/2022-05-10/detai
>>led#allo
>> x_id=0>
>>
>> And back to Edinburgh
>>
>> <https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:N50059/2022-05-10/detailed>
>>
>> And then Heaton
>>

>><https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:N50061/2022-05-10/detai
>>led#allo
>> x_id=0>
>
>Thank you - I’ll think of that next time. Interesting that it went around
>the Edinburgh south suburban line on diesel before switching back to
>electric at Slateford and then back to Heaton by way of Carlisle.
>
>Thanks again,

You're welcome. It's a habit I have (time permitting) for special
workings and tours.

These days I usually see railtours only when ECS (which they do during
the day) because they tend to only around on the day at 7am or 10pm.
Also movements to and from Papworth sidings are quite fun.
--
Roland Perry

Re: Heaton-Edinburgh ECS via Carlisle

<6r698h59dfianespuo515ji83v65mp3lcj@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29649&group=uk.railway#29649

From: ken...@birchanger.com (Ken)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 08:10:04 +0100
 by: Ken - Wed, 18 May 2022 07:10 UTC

On Tue, 17 May 2022 09:06:10 -0000 (UTC), Sam Wilson
<ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:

>Last week I had occasion to pass Carstairs southbound and on the northbound
>track of the WCML, apparently waiting for the line to Edinburgh, was a
>5-car LNER Azuma. I had a quick look at RTT and it seems to have been this
>one, an ECS move from Heaton (Newcastle) to Edinburgh. I’m guessing this
>must run for route familiarisation for diversions rather than being a
>sensible way to get a train from Newcastle to Edinburgh. Would there be
>any other reason?
>
>https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:N50056/2022-05-10/detailed#allox_id=0
>
>Sam

The Newcastle - Carlisle line is used as an LNER diversionary route to
Edinburgh quite often so LNER presumably have some drivers signing it
and therefore needing to drive it from time to time.