From: timsnew...@gmail.com (tim...)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: OT: Not the Orient Express
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 16:13:25 +0100
 by: tim... - Mon, 24 May 2021 15:13 UTC

"Marland" <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote in message
news:igpsmeFh8ahU1@mid.individual.net...
> Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:
>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Macron restarts sleeper trains at €19 to stir green economy
>>>
>>> <https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/9bb03338-b98d-11eb-9a91-c8c89595f50e?shareToken=8dc9e0aec757add1071166961461c378>
>>
>> I’ve taken couchettes a couple of times, once Paris-Nice and return, and
>> it
>> was always an enjoyable experience,
>

> My first trip was , 15 years old on a school trip from one of the French
> Ports possibly it was Dunkirk, to Basle. Somehow the booking system had
> gone wrong and my mate and I ended up having to share a compartment with a
> load of similar aged schoolgirls from a school in France who were
> returning
> from a school visit to England . Nothing that would have caused scandal
> took place but they were not too demure changing into their night attire
> which was rather pleasant.
> And to add to the icing on the cake the first part of the journey was
> steam
> hauled.

I have never been in a couchette where anybody changed into their night
attire

A quick count suggest my experiences encompass 10 countries

> GH

Re: OT: Not the Orient Express

<ih23jrF4pkdU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=167&group=uk.railway#167

From: gemeha...@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 24 May 2021 16:46:51 GMT
 by: Marland - Mon, 24 May 2021 16:46 UTC

tim... <timsnews99@gmail.com> wrote:

> "Marland" <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:

>>> I’ve taken couchettes a couple of times, once Paris-Nice and return, and
>>> it
>>> was always an enjoyable experience,
>>

>> My first trip was , 15 years old on a school trip from one of the French
>> Ports possibly it was Dunkirk, to Basle. Somehow the booking system had
>> gone wrong and my mate and I ended up having to share a compartment with a
>> load of similar aged schoolgirls from a school in France who were
>> returning
>> from a school visit to England . Nothing that would have caused scandal
>> took place but they were not too demure changing into their night attire
>> which was rather pleasant.
>> And to add to the icing on the cake the first part of the journey was
>> steam
>> hauled.
>
> I have never been in a couchette where anybody changed into their night
> attire

Changed may be the wrong word , taking off smart outer garments so they
didn’t end up wrinkled
while sleeping in the berth was the reality .

> A quick count suggest my experiences encompass 10 countries

Perhaps your demeanour is a bit strange and people would not feel
comfortable , do you behave like an Autistic train spotter?

GH

Re: OT: Not the Orient Express

<s8jcif$rj4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=240&group=uk.railway#240

From: ema...@domain.com (bob)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 19:36:15 +0200
 by: bob - Tue, 25 May 2021 17:36 UTC

On 2021-05-24 15:13:25 +0000, tim... said:

> "Marland" <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:

>>> I’ve taken couchettes a couple of times, once Paris-Nice and return, and it
>>> was always an enjoyable experience,
>>

>> My first trip was , 15 years old on a school trip from one of the French
>> Ports possibly it was Dunkirk, to Basle. Somehow the booking system had
>> gone wrong and my mate and I ended up having to share a compartment with a
>> load of similar aged schoolgirls from a school in France who were returning
>> from a school visit to England . Nothing that would have caused scandal
>> took place but they were not too demure changing into their night attire
>> which was rather pleasant.
>> And to add to the icing on the cake the first part of the journey was steam
>> hauled.
>
> I have never been in a couchette where anybody changed into their night attire
>
> A quick count suggest my experiences encompass 10 countries

The discussion and publicity material I have seen for the new NightJet
rolling stock seems to imply that the intermediate standard of
accommodation between seats and full sleeper compartments is being
somewhat re-worked, with the conventions of the traditional couchette
being replaced by what is effectively a "capsule hotel" style bed. It
will be interesting to see how passengers treat these.

Robin

Re: OT: Not the Orient Express

<s8jfkn$upv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=249&group=uk.railway#249

From: timsnew...@gmail.com (tim...)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 19:28:38 +0100
 by: tim... - Tue, 25 May 2021 18:28 UTC

> tim... <timsnews99@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> "Marland" <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote in message

>>> My first trip was , 15 years old on a school trip from one of the
>>> French
>>> Ports possibly it was Dunkirk, to Basle. Somehow the booking system had
>>> gone wrong and my mate and I ended up having to share a compartment with
>>> load of similar aged schoolgirls from a school in France who were
>>> returning
>>> from a school visit to England . Nothing that would have caused scandal
>>> took place but they were not too demure changing into their night attire
>>> which was rather pleasant.
>>> And to add to the icing on the cake the first part of the journey was
>>> steam
>>> hauled.
>>
>> I have never been in a couchette where anybody changed into their night
>> attire
>>

> Changed may be the wrong word , taking off smart outer garments so they
> didn’t end up wrinkled
> while sleeping in the berth was the reality .
>
>> A quick count suggest my experiences encompass 10 countries
>
> Perhaps your demeanour is a bit strange and people would not feel
> comfortable , do you behave like an Autistic train spotter?

Nope

Re: OT: Not the Orient Express

<s8kc19$293r$1@gal.iecc.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=284&group=uk.railway#284

From: joh...@taugh.com (John Levine)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 02:33:13 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: johnl@iecc.com (John Levine)
 by: John Levine - Wed, 26 May 2021 02:33 UTC

According to bob <email@domain.com>:
>The discussion and publicity material I have seen for the new NightJet
>rolling stock seems to imply that the intermediate standard of
>accommodation between seats and full sleeper compartments is being
>somewhat re-worked, with the conventions of the traditional couchette
>being replaced by what is effectively a "capsule hotel" style bed. It
>will be interesting to see how passengers treat these.

Sounds like old fashioned North American upper and lower bunks, which had privacy curtains. I gather
people generally put on pajamas either doing contortions behind the curtains or perhaps in the washroom.

In the US, Amtrak now has only rooms and roomettes with closable
doors, but the Via Rail Canadian still has a few upper and lower
bunks. See page 19 of this flyer:

https://www.viarail.ca/sites/all/files/media/pdfs/111139179-1-Sales-tools_Anglais_WEB.pdf

--
Regards,
John Levine, johnl@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",

Re: OT: Not the Orient Express

<s8kv7h$5bj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=297&group=uk.railway#297

From: ema...@domain.com (bob)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 10:00:50 +0200
 by: bob - Wed, 26 May 2021 08:00 UTC

On 2021-05-26 02:33:13 +0000, John Levine said:

> According to bob <email@domain.com>:
>> The discussion and publicity material I have seen for the new NightJet
>> rolling stock seems to imply that the intermediate standard of
>> accommodation between seats and full sleeper compartments is being
>> somewhat re-worked, with the conventions of the traditional couchette
>> being replaced by what is effectively a "capsule hotel" style bed. It
>> will be interesting to see how passengers treat these.
>
> Sounds like old fashioned North American upper and lower bunks, which
> had privacy curtains. I gather
> people generally put on pajamas either doing contortions behind the
> curtains or perhaps in the washroom.
>
> In the US, Amtrak now has only rooms and roomettes with closable
> doors, but the Via Rail Canadian still has a few upper and lower
> bunks. See page 19 of this flyer:
>
> https://www.viarail.ca/sites/all/files/media/pdfs/111139179-1-Sales-tools_Anglais_WEB.pdf

Under the old nomenclature, the Manor Cars were built as 4-4-5-1, that
is 4 sections, 4 roomettes, 5 bedrooms and 1 compartment, while the
Chateau cars were built as 4-8-3-0-1, that is 4 sections, 8 roomettes,
3 bedrooms and 1 drawing room (a larger compartment for up to 3
people). In the '80s when the cars were converted from steam heat to
HEP, one of the sections in each car was replaced by a shower cubicle.
VIA no longer distinguishes between bedrooms and compartments, so if
you are booking a double bedroom, try to get room F in a Manor, as that
is the compartment, so is larger than the others. Some of the Chateau
cars have been reasigned to other routes, such as Winnipeg-Churchill
and others have been rebuit as Prestige cars, with 6 en-suite double
bedrooms, so most of the sleepers on The Candian are Manor cars.

The Manor and Chateau cars were built with large bathrooms at the
section end, gender segregated (unusual for a train), intended to serve
as changing rooms for the section passengers. Unlike a couchette, the
sections are made up with full bed linen (stored in the upper berth in
day mode), and based on my observation when I travelled on it in 2019,
the section passengers generally to get changed into conventional night
wear. Part of this is the difference between a simple evening to
morning overnight train and a full multi-day long haul trip. On my
trip the only non-Prestige Chateau car in the train was used for crew
accommodation for the staff from the various lounge and dining cars.

Robin