A fool and his honey are soon parted.

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Ballpark cost of installation(s) nowadays

SubjectAuthor
* Ballpark cost of installation(s) nowadaysChris Green
+* Re: Ballpark cost of installation(s) nowadaysWoody
|+* Re: Ballpark cost of installation(s) nowadaysMax Demian
||+* Re: Ballpark cost of installation(s) nowadayswilliamwright
|||+* Re: Ballpark cost of installation(s) nowadaysChris Green
|||+- Re: Ballpark cost of installation(s) nowadaysBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
|||`* Re: Ballpark cost of installation(s) nowadaysR. Mark Clayton
||| `* Re: Ballpark cost of installation(s) nowadaysSH
|||  `* Re: Ballpark cost of installation(s) nowadaysR. Mark Clayton
|||   `* Re: Ballpark cost of installation(s) nowadaysSH
|||    `* Re: Ballpark cost of installation(s) nowadaysR. Mark Clayton
|||     `* Re: Ballpark cost of installation(s) nowadaysSH
|||      `* Re: Ballpark cost of installation(s) nowadaysSH
|||       `- Re: Ballpark cost of installation(s) nowadaysR. Mark Clayton
||`- Re: Ballpark cost of installation(s) nowadaysBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
|`- Re: Ballpark cost of installation(s) nowadaysBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
+* Re: Ballpark cost of installation(s) nowadaysBrian Gregory
|`* Re: Ballpark cost of installation(s) nowadayscrazy robert
| `* Re: Ballpark cost of installation(s) nowadaysFreeviw Official
|  `- Re: Ballpark cost of installation(s) nowadayskiwisbrown
`- Re: Ballpark cost of installation(s) nowadaysJames Wilson

Pages:12
Ballpark cost of installation(s) nowadays

<havp7i-qnsq.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29727&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#29727

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Ballpark cost of installation(s) nowadays
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2021 17:04:49 +0000
 by: Chris Green - Fri, 3 Dec 2021 17:04 UTC

My daughter is in the process of moving into a new (to her) house.
She wants both Freeview and Freesat in three rooms.

There are currently no (functioning) dishes or aerials. We're in a
marginal Freeview area for Sudbury. (Her house is close to ours)

So what sort of ballpark costs should she expect, preferably with the
Freeview and Freesat costs separated (though can they use a common
'box'?)

She has 'dumb' TVs to show the pictures (HDMI inputs).

As a final rider, is she right to want both Freeview and Freesat or
would Freesat provide everything except a few weird/marginal channels?

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Ballpark cost of installation(s) nowadays

<sodnte$7se$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29728&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#29728

From: harroga...@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: Ballpark cost of installation(s) nowadays
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2021 18:33:18 +0000
 by: Woody - Fri, 3 Dec 2021 18:33 UTC

On Fri 03/12/2021 17:04, Chris Green wrote:
> My daughter is in the process of moving into a new (to her) house.
> She wants both Freeview and Freesat in three rooms.
>
> There are currently no (functioning) dishes or aerials. We're in a
> marginal Freeview area for Sudbury. (Her house is close to ours)
>
> So what sort of ballpark costs should she expect, preferably with the
> Freeview and Freesat costs separated (though can they use a common
> 'box'?)
>
> She has 'dumb' TVs to show the pictures (HDMI inputs).
>

> As a final rider, is she right to want both Freeview and Freesat or
> would Freesat provide everything except a few weird/marginal channels?

There are some channels that are on Freeview that are not on Freesat -
ISTR Ch4HD was one.

Put up a decent multibeam with a single port low gain masthead pre-amp*
to get the signal into a useable margin, then fit a 1-in 4-out amp in
the loft or wherever convenient. You only need one cable to each TV.
*Fringe Electronics make good units, Labgear from Toolstation are also
effective. Also look at www.blake-uk.com in Sheffield.

If using Freesat you will need one box for each user and as you will be
using HDMI connection you will need two cables from the dish to each
position if the Freesat box is a recorder. One dish with an 8-port LNB
will do the job perfectly.
An alternative here is to use a 4-port LNB and feed the four ports into
to a signal multiswitch. Said switch also has a UHF signal input. You
then run one twin (so-called 'shotgun') cable from the switch to each TV
position or a single cable if there is no recording facility and the TV
will have access to both Freesat and Freeview (assuming the TV has a
Freeview tuner!) For LNB look at Inverto Black products.

eBay item 284554041352 is a suitable switch. If you go down this route
better to get a (Sky) Zone2 dish to give a better signal as the switch
is effectively passive. The difference between a quattro and a quad LNB
is that the quattro has fixed outputs whereas the quad replies on the
switch to tell it which output is which. There are four outputs because
there are two frequency bands and two polarities which all need to be
handled independently.

Re: Ballpark cost of installation(s) nowadays

<qIKdnQTpE6tW_jf8nZ2dnUU78IWdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29729&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#29729

Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
From: max_dem...@bigfoot.com (Max Demian)
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2021 18:36:50 +0000
 by: Max Demian - Fri, 3 Dec 2021 18:36 UTC

On 03/12/2021 18:33, Woody wrote:
> On Fri 03/12/2021 17:04, Chris Green wrote:
>> My daughter is in the process of moving into a new (to her) house.
>> She wants both Freeview and Freesat in three rooms.
>>
>> There are currently no (functioning) dishes or aerials.  We're in a
>> marginal Freeview area for Sudbury. (Her house is close to ours)
>>
>> So what sort of ballpark costs should she expect, preferably with the
>> Freeview and Freesat costs separated (though can they use a common
>> 'box'?)
>>
>> She has 'dumb' TVs to show the pictures (HDMI inputs).
>>

>> As a final rider, is she right to want both Freeview and Freesat or
>> would Freesat provide everything except a few weird/marginal channels?

Both have a good range of channels. She should decide which platform she
wants.

And avoid printed programme guides as I think they always cover Freeview
and Freesat. They also cover Sky and Virgin: the programme she wants
will always be on a platform she doesn't have.

--
Max Demian

Re: Ballpark cost of installation(s) nowadays

<j0vs47Fs8g9U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29730&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#29730

From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (williamwright)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2021 00:47:03 +0000
 by: williamwright - Sat, 4 Dec 2021 00:47 UTC

On 03/12/2021 18:36, Max Demian wrote:
> On 03/12/2021 18:33, Woody wrote:
>> On Fri 03/12/2021 17:04, Chris Green wrote:
>>> My daughter is in the process of moving into a new (to her) house.
>>> She wants both Freeview and Freesat in three rooms.
>>>
>>> There are currently no (functioning) dishes or aerials.  We're in a
>>> marginal Freeview area for Sudbury. (Her house is close to ours)
>>>
>>> So what sort of ballpark costs should she expect, preferably with the
>>> Freeview and Freesat costs separated (though can they use a common
>>> 'box'?)
>>>
>>> She has 'dumb' TVs to show the pictures (HDMI inputs).
>>>

>>> As a final rider, is she right to want both Freeview and Freesat or
>>> would Freesat provide everything except a few weird/marginal channels?
>
> Both have a good range of channels. She should decide which platform she
> wants.
>
> And avoid printed programme guides as I think they always cover Freeview
> and Freesat. They also cover Sky and Virgin: the programme she wants
> will always be on a platform she doesn't have.

If terrestrial reception *really is* marginal she might as well just do
Freesat. Freesat without Freeview is gloriously easy. Standard Sky dish
with octo (8 output) LNB (the thing on the dish at the front). Two
cables from the LNB to each receiver position. No amplifier in the loft
or anything like that. No need for wallplates etc; cables straight into
the receivers. Put a Freesat receiver/recorder with each TV, or use TV
sets with built-in Freesat. Best to use receiver/recorders that have a
'non Freesat' mode so you can get everything on the satellite; not just
Freesat channels. Where a TV set has an accompanying receiver/recorder
use the TV as a monitor; don't bother with the telly's own tuner;
there's no point. But if you really want to you need an extra cable to
that location from the LNB.

In Yorkshire the whole thing would cost about £450 to £500 + VAT,
installed, assuming all cables were needed.

Bill

Re: Ballpark cost of installation(s) nowadays

<dmsr7i-9lku.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29732&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#29732

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2021 10:32:13 +0000
 by: Chris Green - Sat, 4 Dec 2021 10:32 UTC

williamwright <wrightsaerials@f2s.com> wrote:
> On 03/12/2021 18:36, Max Demian wrote:

> > Both have a good range of channels. She should decide which platform she
> > wants.
> >
> > And avoid printed programme guides as I think they always cover Freeview
> > and Freesat. They also cover Sky and Virgin: the programme she wants
> > will always be on a platform she doesn't have.
> >

> If terrestrial reception *really is* marginal she might as well just do
> Freesat. Freesat without Freeview is gloriously easy. Standard Sky dish
> with octo (8 output) LNB (the thing on the dish at the front). Two
> cables from the LNB to each receiver position. No amplifier in the loft
> or anything like that. No need for wallplates etc; cables straight into
> the receivers. Put a Freesat receiver/recorder with each TV, or use TV
> sets with built-in Freesat. Best to use receiver/recorders that have a
> 'non Freesat' mode so you can get everything on the satellite; not just
> Freesat channels. Where a TV set has an accompanying receiver/recorder
> use the TV as a monitor; don't bother with the telly's own tuner;
> there's no point. But if you really want to you need an extra cable to
> that location from the LNB.
>
> In Yorkshire the whole thing would cost about £450 to £500 + VAT,
> installed, assuming all cables were needed.

Thank you Bill, that's just the sort of information I was after.

We live at the other end of the same village on one of the highest
points (which isn't very high, this is Suffolk) and need a good[ish]
aerial mounted at the Sudbury end of the house and quite carefully
aimed at Sudbury to get reliable reception. It doesn't have a
masthead amplifier but the amplifier that drives the multiple sockets
around the house is up in the loft as close as possible to the lead-in
from the aerial. I think (though it's difficult to tell really) that
her house won't have such a good 'view' towards Sudbury.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Ballpark cost of installation(s) nowadays

<xn0n686jnwzcy7q01d@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29733&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#29733

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: 4 Dec 2021 10:41:10 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sat, 4 Dec 2021 10:41 UTC

On 04/12/2021 in message <dmsr7i-9lku.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu> Chris Green
wrote:

>williamwright <wrightsaerials@f2s.com> wrote:

>>>Both have a good range of channels. She should decide which platform she
>>>wants.
>>>
>>>And avoid printed programme guides as I think they always cover Freeview
>>>and Freesat. They also cover Sky and Virgin: the programme she wants
>>>will always be on a platform she doesn't have.
>>>

>>If terrestrial reception *really is* marginal she might as well just do
>>Freesat. Freesat without Freeview is gloriously easy. Standard Sky dish
>>with octo (8 output) LNB (the thing on the dish at the front). Two
>>cables from the LNB to each receiver position. No amplifier in the loft
>>or anything like that. No need for wallplates etc; cables straight into
>>the receivers. Put a Freesat receiver/recorder with each TV, or use TV
>>sets with built-in Freesat. Best to use receiver/recorders that have a
>>'non Freesat' mode so you can get everything on the satellite; not just
>>Freesat channels. Where a TV set has an accompanying receiver/recorder
>>use the TV as a monitor; don't bother with the telly's own tuner;
>>there's no point. But if you really want to you need an extra cable to
>>that location from the LNB.
>>
>>In Yorkshire the whole thing would cost about £450 to £500 + VAT,
>>installed, assuming all cables were needed.
>>
>Thank you Bill, that's just the sort of information I was after.
>
>We live at the other end of the same village on one of the highest
>points (which isn't very high, this is Suffolk) and need a good[ish]
>aerial mounted at the Sudbury end of the house and quite carefully
>aimed at Sudbury to get reliable reception. It doesn't have a
>masthead amplifier but the amplifier that drives the multiple sockets
>around the house is up in the loft as close as possible to the lead-in
>from the aerial. I think (though it's difficult to tell really) that
>her house won't have such a good 'view' towards Sudbury.

Is streaming over the Internet a viable option? When I lived in a smallish
village there was no TV reception and the Internet was supplied on a piece
of damp string :-(

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
You can't tell which way the train went by looking at the tracks

Re: Ballpark cost of installation(s) nowadays

<sofho1$24i$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29734&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#29734

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2021 11:00:11 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Sat, 4 Dec 2021 11:00 UTC

Yes it all used to be so simple in the analogue days. Of course one must not
forget Internet delivered channels as well.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Woody" <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> On Fri 03/12/2021 17:04, Chris Green wrote:
>> My daughter is in the process of moving into a new (to her) house.
>> She wants both Freeview and Freesat in three rooms.
>>
>> There are currently no (functioning) dishes or aerials. We're in a
>> marginal Freeview area for Sudbury. (Her house is close to ours)
>>
>> So what sort of ballpark costs should she expect, preferably with the
>> Freeview and Freesat costs separated (though can they use a common
>> 'box'?)
>>
>> She has 'dumb' TVs to show the pictures (HDMI inputs).
>>

>> As a final rider, is she right to want both Freeview and Freesat or
>> would Freesat provide everything except a few weird/marginal channels?
>>
> There are some channels that are on Freeview that are not on Freesat -
> ISTR Ch4HD was one.
>
> Put up a decent multibeam with a single port low gain masthead pre-amp* to
> get the signal into a useable margin, then fit a 1-in 4-out amp in the
> loft or wherever convenient. You only need one cable to each TV.
> *Fringe Electronics make good units, Labgear from Toolstation are also
> effective. Also look at www.blake-uk.com in Sheffield.
>
> If using Freesat you will need one box for each user and as you will be
> using HDMI connection you will need two cables from the dish to each
> position if the Freesat box is a recorder. One dish with an 8-port LNB
> will do the job perfectly.
> An alternative here is to use a 4-port LNB and feed the four ports into to
> a signal multiswitch. Said switch also has a UHF signal input. You then
> run one twin (so-called 'shotgun') cable from the switch to each TV
> position or a single cable if there is no recording facility and the TV
> will have access to both Freesat and Freeview (assuming the TV has a
> Freeview tuner!) For LNB look at Inverto Black products.
>
> eBay item 284554041352 is a suitable switch. If you go down this route
> better to get a (Sky) Zone2 dish to give a better signal as the switch is
> effectively passive. The difference between a quattro and a quad LNB is
> that the quattro has fixed outputs whereas the quad replies on the switch
> to tell it which output is which. There are four outputs because there are
> two frequency bands and two polarities which all need to be handled
> independently.

Re: Ballpark cost of installation(s) nowadays

<sofhvh$6b6$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29735&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#29735

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2021 11:04:11 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Sat, 4 Dec 2021 11:04 UTC

Yes and that is always going to be the case. It used to be in the old days
that the film you wanted to see was only on Midland not on London etc, so
not a lot of change. To be honest though, I've really been disappointed with
Freeview, too much duplication and re runs and crap imported stuff of very
little value other than to fill up schedule slots.
I mean how much does it cost to show a bloke with a camera round your
house?

"Max Demian" <max_demian@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> On 03/12/2021 18:33, Woody wrote:
>> On Fri 03/12/2021 17:04, Chris Green wrote:
>>> My daughter is in the process of moving into a new (to her) house.
>>> She wants both Freeview and Freesat in three rooms.
>>>
>>> There are currently no (functioning) dishes or aerials. We're in a
>>> marginal Freeview area for Sudbury. (Her house is close to ours)
>>>
>>> So what sort of ballpark costs should she expect, preferably with the
>>> Freeview and Freesat costs separated (though can they use a common
>>> 'box'?)
>>>
>>> She has 'dumb' TVs to show the pictures (HDMI inputs).
>>>

>>> As a final rider, is she right to want both Freeview and Freesat or
>>> would Freesat provide everything except a few weird/marginal channels?
>
> Both have a good range of channels. She should decide which platform she
> wants.
>
> And avoid printed programme guides as I think they always cover Freeview
> and Freesat. They also cover Sky and Virgin: the programme she wants will
> always be on a platform she doesn't have.
>
> --
> Max Demian

Re: Ballpark cost of installation(s) nowadays

<sofi4j$94i$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29736&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#29736

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2021 11:06:54 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Sat, 4 Dec 2021 11:06 UTC

As a matter of interest, who makes Multibeam aerials these days, I have an
old Jbeam on in my loft, and its a big brute and quite heavy.

"williamwright" <wrightsaerials@f2s.com> wrote in message
> On 03/12/2021 18:36, Max Demian wrote:

>> Both have a good range of channels. She should decide which platform she
>> wants.
>>
>> And avoid printed programme guides as I think they always cover Freeview
>> and Freesat. They also cover Sky and Virgin: the programme she wants will
>> always be on a platform she doesn't have.
>>

> If terrestrial reception *really is* marginal she might as well just do
> Freesat. Freesat without Freeview is gloriously easy. Standard Sky dish
> with octo (8 output) LNB (the thing on the dish at the front). Two cables
> from the LNB to each receiver position. No amplifier in the loft or
> anything like that. No need for wallplates etc; cables straight into the
> receivers. Put a Freesat receiver/recorder with each TV, or use TV sets
> with built-in Freesat. Best to use receiver/recorders that have a 'non
> Freesat' mode so you can get everything on the satellite; not just Freesat
> channels. Where a TV set has an accompanying receiver/recorder use the TV
> as a monitor; don't bother with the telly's own tuner; there's no point.
> But if you really want to you need an extra cable to that location from
> the LNB.
>
> In Yorkshire the whole thing would cost about �450 to �500 + VAT,
> installed, assuming all cables were needed.
>
> Bill

Re: Ballpark cost of installation(s) nowadays

<sofig9$fso$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29737&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#29737

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2021 11:13:08 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Sat, 4 Dec 2021 11:13 UTC

If I recall from a fiend who moved up to Suffolk, its quite flat and
sometimes during temperature inversions you got severe fading and increases
in the strength of the signals dependent on the channels. It was actually
more obvious in the analogue days of course on digital it was more break-up.
I'm told this is multipath effects as the prismatic effects of the different
atmospheric densities moved in between. You used to get similar trying to
get at Rowridge from here on the FM band when the FM band was not so chock
full of pirates. grin.

"Chris Green" <cl@isbd.net> wrote in message
> williamwright <wrightsaerials@f2s.com> wrote:

>> > Both have a good range of channels. She should decide which platform
>> > she
>> > wants.
>> >
>> > And avoid printed programme guides as I think they always cover
>> > Freeview
>> > and Freesat. They also cover Sky and Virgin: the programme she wants
>> > will always be on a platform she doesn't have.
>> >

>> If terrestrial reception *really is* marginal she might as well just do
>> Freesat. Freesat without Freeview is gloriously easy. Standard Sky dish
>> with octo (8 output) LNB (the thing on the dish at the front). Two
>> cables from the LNB to each receiver position. No amplifier in the loft
>> or anything like that. No need for wallplates etc; cables straight into
>> the receivers. Put a Freesat receiver/recorder with each TV, or use TV
>> sets with built-in Freesat. Best to use receiver/recorders that have a
>> 'non Freesat' mode so you can get everything on the satellite; not just
>> Freesat channels. Where a TV set has an accompanying receiver/recorder
>> use the TV as a monitor; don't bother with the telly's own tuner;
>> there's no point. But if you really want to you need an extra cable to
>> that location from the LNB.
>>
>> In Yorkshire the whole thing would cost about �450 to �500 + VAT,
>> installed, assuming all cables were needed.
>>
> Thank you Bill, that's just the sort of information I was after.
>
> We live at the other end of the same village on one of the highest
> points (which isn't very high, this is Suffolk) and need a good[ish]
> aerial mounted at the Sudbury end of the house and quite carefully
> aimed at Sudbury to get reliable reception. It doesn't have a
> masthead amplifier but the amplifier that drives the multiple sockets
> around the house is up in the loft as close as possible to the lead-in
> from the aerial. I think (though it's difficult to tell really) that
> her house won't have such a good 'view' towards Sudbury.
>
> --
> Chris Green
> �

Re: Ballpark cost of installation(s) nowadays

<94911a49-27a5-44bc-9d1c-4d15d4ce75een@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29741&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#29741

Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2021 05:07:10 -0800 (PST)
From: notyalck...@gmail.com (R. Mark Clayton)
 by: R. Mark Clayton - Sat, 4 Dec 2021 13:07 UTC

On Saturday, 4 December 2021 at 00:47:05 UTC, wrightsaerials@aol.com wrote:
> On 03/12/2021 18:36, Max Demian wrote:

> > Both have a good range of channels. She should decide which platform she
> > wants.
> >
> > And avoid printed programme guides as I think they always cover Freeview
> > and Freesat. They also cover Sky and Virgin: the programme she wants
> > will always be on a platform she doesn't have.
> >
> If terrestrial reception *really is* marginal she might as well just do
> Freesat. Freesat without Freeview is gloriously easy. Standard Sky dish
> with octo (8 output) LNB (the thing on the dish at the front). Two
> cables from the LNB to each receiver position. No amplifier in the loft
> or anything like that. No need for wallplates etc; cables straight into
> the receivers. Put a Freesat receiver/recorder with each TV, or use TV
> sets with built-in Freesat. Best to use receiver/recorders that have a
> 'non Freesat' mode so you can get everything on the satellite; not just
> Freesat channels. Where a TV set has an accompanying receiver/recorder
> use the TV as a monitor; don't bother with the telly's own tuner;
> there's no point. But if you really want to you need an extra cable to
> that location from the LNB.
>
> In Yorkshire the whole thing would cost about £450 to £500 + VAT,
> installed, assuming all cables were needed.
>
> Bill

Very good.

About the only channel on Freeview , but not on Freesat here is a local Manchester one.

All the TV's with built in Freesat I have come across (LG, Toshiba, Medion and IIRC Samsung) all have non Freesat channels as well, indeed most of them have DiSEqC ability and can switch between four satellites!

Which reminds me, how much to install a 90cm Wavefrontier toroidal dish, 13x4 or 16x4 multi-switch (walk up access to dish position)?

Best for Freeview probably a decent aerial with a mast head amp and a passive reactive splitter or decent aerial and three / four way amplifier.

Re: Ballpark cost of installation(s) nowadays

<ohqmqg5gk84fnv164l5nads64b7hqnvlfp@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29742&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#29742

From: rjf...@escapetime.myzen.co.uk (Roderick Stewart)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2021 13:22:25 +0000
 by: Roderick Stewart - Sat, 4 Dec 2021 13:22 UTC

On 4 Dec 2021 10:41:10 GMT, "Jeff Gaines" <jgaines_newsid@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

[...]
[...]
>Is streaming over the Internet a viable option? When I lived in a smallish
>village there was no TV reception and the Internet was supplied on a piece
>of damp string :-(

I have Freeview and internet streaming, but if I had neither and had
to start again from scratch with only one of them I would choose
internet. Provided there is an internet service with sufficient speed
for TV streaming, an Amazon stick or equivalent will provide the most
services most quickly for the least expense.

Provided... of course. I appreciate this may not apply in a village.

Rod.

Re: Ballpark cost of installation(s) nowadays

<m2ks7i-2d101.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29748&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#29748

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2021 17:11:18 +0000
 by: Chris Green - Sat, 4 Dec 2021 17:11 UTC

Roderick Stewart <rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> On 4 Dec 2021 10:41:10 GMT, "Jeff Gaines" <jgaines_newsid@yahoo.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
> [...]
> [...]
> >
> >Is streaming over the Internet a viable option? When I lived in a smallish
> >village there was no TV reception and the Internet was supplied on a piece
> >of damp string :-(
>
> I have Freeview and internet streaming, but if I had neither and had
> to start again from scratch with only one of them I would choose
> internet. Provided there is an internet service with sufficient speed
> for TV streaming, an Amazon stick or equivalent will provide the most
> services most quickly for the least expense.
>
> Provided... of course. I appreciate this may not apply in a village.

OP here. We actually have rather good internet, at our house we have
FTTC that bangs against the maximum speed endstops (80Mbs down 20Mbs up).
I think our daughter's new house is close to a cabinet as well.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Ballpark cost of installation(s) nowadays

<j11n16F8e8kU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29749&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#29749

From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (williamwright)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2021 17:32:22 +0000
 by: williamwright - Sat, 4 Dec 2021 17:32 UTC

On 04/12/2021 10:32, Chris Green wrote:
> I think (though it's difficult to tell really) that
> her house won't have such a good 'view' towards Sudbury.

To assess, roughly, think more about the path towards the tx rather than
the height of the rx site. Look towards Sudbury from each location. How
far can you see?

Bill

Re: Ballpark cost of installation(s) nowadays

<jn3t7i-jr011.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29759&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#29759

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2021 21:38:27 +0000
 by: Chris Green - Sat, 4 Dec 2021 21:38 UTC

williamwright <wrightsaerials@f2s.com> wrote:
> On 04/12/2021 10:32, Chris Green wrote:
> > I think (though it's difficult to tell really) that
> > her house won't have such a good 'view' towards Sudbury.
>
> To assess, roughly, think more about the path towards the tx rather than
> the height of the rx site. Look towards Sudbury from each location. How
> far can you see?

We can see a fair old way, maybe a mile or so. It's more difficult to
gauge at my daughter's house as there's more bits and pieces (trees,
sheds, etc.) in the way. Next time I'm there I'll go upstairs and
stare knowledgeably out of the window! :-)

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Ballpark cost of installation(s) nowadays

<9h6pqg5iggt6e7obnrdsb29hjjtvs5ksru@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29762&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#29762

From: rjf...@escapetime.myzen.co.uk (Roderick Stewart)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2021 11:07:13 +0000
 by: Roderick Stewart - Sun, 5 Dec 2021 11:07 UTC

On Sat, 4 Dec 2021 17:11:18 +0000, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:

>Roderick Stewart <rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 4 Dec 2021 10:41:10 GMT, "Jeff Gaines" <jgaines_newsid@yahoo.co.uk>
>> wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>> [...]
>> >
>> >Is streaming over the Internet a viable option? When I lived in a smallish
>> >village there was no TV reception and the Internet was supplied on a piece
>> >of damp string :-(
>>
>> I have Freeview and internet streaming, but if I had neither and had
>> to start again from scratch with only one of them I would choose
>> internet. Provided there is an internet service with sufficient speed
>> for TV streaming, an Amazon stick or equivalent will provide the most
>> services most quickly for the least expense.
>>
>> Provided... of course. I appreciate this may not apply in a village.
>>
>OP here. We actually have rather good internet, at our house we have
>FTTC that bangs against the maximum speed endstops (80Mbs down 20Mbs up).
>I think our daughter's new house is close to a cabinet as well.

Well there's your answer then. You can have thousands of radio and
television channels and catchup services without any aerials or dishes
ot other expensive installation at all. Just get a streaming device
and try it out. In my opinion, this is what high speed internet is
for. You certainly don't need 80Mb/s for email or Whatsapp.

Even an old computer could be pressed into service as a media
streamer. That's what I started with some years ago, until it became
feasible to buy something smaller and less power hungry without
cooling fans. Once your computer has been set up with easy shortcuts
for the services you want, you'll be able to control everything with
only a standard wireless mouse on the coffee table, so it won't even
be complicated to use.

Rod.

Re: Ballpark cost of installation(s) nowadays

<soi825$d7i$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29763&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#29763

From: dav...@ex.djwhome.demon.invalid (David Woolley)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2021 11:33:25 +0000
 by: David Woolley - Sun, 5 Dec 2021 11:33 UTC

On 05/12/2021 11:07, Roderick Stewart wrote:
> In my opinion, this is what high speed internet is
> for.

It's certainly what DSL was designed for. The original research for
this was done at least a decade before September became eternal, and the
envisaged use was video on demand.

Re: Ballpark cost of installation(s) nowadays

<j13of2Fk71rU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29766&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#29766

From: tonygam...@compuserve.com (Tony Gamble)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2021 12:09:06 +0000
 by: Tony Gamble - Sun, 5 Dec 2021 12:09 UTC

On 05/12/2021 11:07, Roderick Stewart wrote:

> Well there's your answer then. You can have thousands of radio and
> television channels and catchup services without any aerials or dishes
> ot other expensive installation at all. Just get a streaming device
> and try it out. In my opinion, this is what high speed internet is
> for. You certainly don't need 80Mb/s for email or Whatsapp.
>
> Even an old computer could be pressed into service as a media
> streamer. That's what I started with some years ago, until it became
> feasible to buy something smaller and less power hungry without
> cooling fans. Once your computer has been set up with easy shortcuts
> for the services you want, you'll be able to control everything with
> only a standard wireless mouse on the coffee table, so it won't even
> be complicated to use.
>
> Rod.

Agreed about speed.

Our download is half that and it handles 4k movies streamed. As I said
on the next thread I normally download them but, if pressured for time,
I run them online and get little buffering.

Tony

Re: Ballpark cost of installation(s) nowadays

<7pqdnROgC9Q5MDH8nZ2dnUU78cGdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29771&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#29771

Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
From: max_dem...@bigfoot.com (Max Demian)
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2021 12:16:36 +0000
 by: Max Demian - Sun, 5 Dec 2021 12:16 UTC

On 05/12/2021 11:07, Roderick Stewart wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Dec 2021 17:11:18 +0000, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
>> Roderick Stewart <rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>>> On 4 Dec 2021 10:41:10 GMT, "Jeff Gaines" <jgaines_newsid@yahoo.co.uk>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> [...]
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> I have Freeview and internet streaming, but if I had neither and had
>>> to start again from scratch with only one of them I would choose
>>> internet. Provided there is an internet service with sufficient speed
>>> for TV streaming, an Amazon stick or equivalent will provide the most
>>> services most quickly for the least expense.
>>>
>>> Provided... of course. I appreciate this may not apply in a village.
>>>
>> OP here. We actually have rather good internet, at our house we have
>> FTTC that bangs against the maximum speed endstops (80Mbs down 20Mbs up).
>> I think our daughter's new house is close to a cabinet as well.
>
> Well there's your answer then. You can have thousands of radio and
> television channels and catchup services without any aerials or dishes
> ot other expensive installation at all. Just get a streaming device
> and try it out. In my opinion, this is what high speed internet is
> for. You certainly don't need 80Mb/s for email or Whatsapp.

What about us dinosaurs who like to record stuff, possibly burning to
DVD? I think that's more difficult with streaming. And avoiding adverts.

--
Max Demian

Re: Ballpark cost of installation(s) nowadays

<81epqgl0fuea27rgb4cvjktvijhvrh7ejl@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29774&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#29774

From: rjf...@escapetime.myzen.co.uk (Roderick Stewart)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
References: <havp7i-qnsq.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu> <sodnte$7se$1@dont-email.me> <qIKdnQTpE6tW_jf8nZ2dnUU78IWdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk> <j0vs47Fs8g9U1@mid.individual.net> <dmsr7i-9lku.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu> <xn0n686jnwzcy7q01d@news.individual.net> <ohqmqg5gk84fnv164l5nads64b7hqnvlfp@4ax.com> <m2ks7i-2d101.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu> <9h6pqg5iggt6e7obnrdsb29hjjtvs5ksru@4ax.com> <7pqdnROgC9Q5MDH8nZ2dnUU78cGdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2021 13:21:26 +0000
 by: Roderick Stewart - Sun, 5 Dec 2021 13:21 UTC

On Sun, 5 Dec 2021 12:16:36 +0000, Max Demian <max_demian@bigfoot.com>
wrote:

>On 05/12/2021 11:07, Roderick Stewart wrote:

>>> OP here. We actually have rather good internet, at our house we have
>>> FTTC that bangs against the maximum speed endstops (80Mbs down 20Mbs up).
>>> I think our daughter's new house is close to a cabinet as well.
>>
>> Well there's your answer then. You can have thousands of radio and
>> television channels and catchup services without any aerials or dishes
>> ot other expensive installation at all. Just get a streaming device
>> and try it out. In my opinion, this is what high speed internet is
>> for. You certainly don't need 80Mb/s for email or Whatsapp.
>
>What about us dinosaurs who like to record stuff, possibly burning to
>DVD? I think that's more difficult with streaming. And avoiding adverts.

I have several boxes of DVD recordings I've never watched. It probably
seemed worth doing at first, but I stopped bothering to save TV
programmes on DVD many years ago when I realised I wasn't watching
them and it was unlikely anyone else would ever want to watch them
either. Then internet streaming became a thing, and it was clear there
was even less point in saving stuff that was easily available already,
most of it at higher quality than DVD.

Netflix and Amazon material doesn't include adverts, and ITV and
Channel 4 streaming services offer the option of watching without
adverts for a small subscription fee.

Rod.

Re: Ballpark cost of installation(s) nowadays

<j142sfFm6ecU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29777&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#29777

From: tonygam...@compuserve.com (Tony Gamble)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2021 15:06:55 +0000
 by: Tony Gamble - Sun, 5 Dec 2021 15:06 UTC

On 05/12/2021 12:16, Max Demian wrote:

> What about us dinosaurs who like to record stuff, possibly burning to
> DVD? I think that's more difficult with streaming. And avoiding adverts.

My Humax is not going to last forever and they now only make the
Freeview version.

I was wondering whether to replace it with whatever brand does Freesat
when it eventually dies.

Wondering as catch up is so all embracing and I download my films direct
from the internet. I can get any film (almost) that has been made -
totally free - on an Android app.

Tony

Re: Ballpark cost of installation(s) nowadays

<rpspqglsb9gvpsr9ggceibc1rol8i5uulp@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29787&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#29787

From: rjf...@escapetime.myzen.co.uk (Roderick Stewart)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
References: <havp7i-qnsq.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu> <sodnte$7se$1@dont-email.me> <qIKdnQTpE6tW_jf8nZ2dnUU78IWdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk> <j0vs47Fs8g9U1@mid.individual.net> <dmsr7i-9lku.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu> <xn0n686jnwzcy7q01d@news.individual.net> <ohqmqg5gk84fnv164l5nads64b7hqnvlfp@4ax.com> <m2ks7i-2d101.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu> <9h6pqg5iggt6e7obnrdsb29hjjtvs5ksru@4ax.com> <7pqdnROgC9Q5MDH8nZ2dnUU78cGdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk> <j142sfFm6ecU1@mid.individual.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2021 17:15:37 +0000
 by: Roderick Stewart - Sun, 5 Dec 2021 17:15 UTC

On Sun, 5 Dec 2021 15:06:55 +0000, Tony Gamble
<tonygamble@compuserve.com> wrote:

>On 05/12/2021 12:16, Max Demian wrote:
>

>> What about us dinosaurs who like to record stuff, possibly burning to
>> DVD? I think that's more difficult with streaming. And avoiding adverts.
>>

>My Humax is not going to last forever and they now only make the
>Freeview version.
>
>I was wondering whether to replace it with whatever brand does Freesat
>when it eventually dies.
>
>Wondering as catch up is so all embracing and I download my films direct
>from the internet. I can get any film (almost) that has been made -
>totally free - on an Android app.
>
>Tony

When my Freeview recorder fails, which it must do one day because it
has moving parts, I definitely won't replace it with another.

Rod.

Re: Ballpark cost of installation(s) nowadays

<j14b5eFnoliU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29788&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#29788

From: notha...@aolbin.com
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2021 17:28:14 +0000
 by: notha...@aolbin.com - Sun, 5 Dec 2021 17:28 UTC

On 05/12/2021 15:06, Tony Gamble wrote:
> On 05/12/2021 12:16, Max Demian wrote:
>

>> What about us dinosaurs who like to record stuff, possibly burning to
>> DVD? I think that's more difficult with streaming. And avoiding adverts.
>>

> My Humax is not going to last forever and they now only make the
> Freeview version.
>
> I was wondering whether to replace it with whatever brand does Freesat
> when it eventually dies.
>
> Wondering as catch up is so all embracing and I download my films direct
> from the internet. I can get any film (almost) that has been made -
> totally free - on an Android app.
>
> Tony

Care to name the App?

Re: Ballpark cost of installation(s) nowadays

<j14nv1Fq6caU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29793&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#29793

From: tonygam...@compuserve.com (Tony Gamble)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2021 21:06:34 +0000
 by: Tony Gamble - Sun, 5 Dec 2021 21:06 UTC

On 05/12/2021 17:28, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:

> Care to name the App?

Cinema HD.

There are assorted clones that do not work but I think this is the
genuine source

https://cinemahdapkapp.com/v2-apks/

Come back if you have problems.

Don't forget it is Android so if you are using a PC you need something
like Bluestacks.

Re: Ballpark cost of installation(s) nowadays

<j14ticFr819U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29794&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#29794

From: notha...@aolbin.com
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2021 22:42:19 +0000
<j142sfFm6ecU1@mid.individual.net> <j14b5eFnoliU1@mid.individual.net>
<j14nv1Fq6caU1@mid.individual.net>
 by: notha...@aolbin.com - Sun, 5 Dec 2021 22:42 UTC

On 05/12/2021 21:06, Tony Gamble wrote:
> On 05/12/2021 17:28, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
>

>> Care to name the App?
>
> Cinema HD.
>
> There are assorted clones that do not work but I think this is the
> genuine source
>
> https://cinemahdapkapp.com/v2-apks/
>
> Come back if you have problems.
>
> Don't forget it is Android so if you are using a PC you need something
> like Bluestacks.

Thanks, but cinemahd has lots of negative feedback on GooglePlay