It's amazing how nice people are to you when they know you're going away. -- Michael Arlen

aus+uk / uk.comp.homebuilt / Years spent building structures with software that's becoming obsolete.

SubjectAuthor
* Years spent building structures with software that's becoming obsolete.Mike Halmarack
+* Re: Years spent building structures with software that's becoming obsolete.Jeff Gaines
|`- Re: Years spent building structures with software that's becoming obsolete.Mike Halmarack
`* Re: Years spent building structures with software that's becomingAdrian Caspersz
 +- Re: Years spent building structures with software that's becoming obsolete.Mike Halmarack
 `- Re: Years spent building structures with software that's becomingVir Campestris

1
Years spent building structures with software that's becoming obsolete.

<jfuvrh5b88jt2d3fkvcedbuie6d6s0m96h@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2977&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2977

From: mikehalm...@gmail.com (Mike Halmarack)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Years spent building structures with software that's becoming obsolete.
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2023 12:30:51 +0000
 by: Mike Halmarack - Thu, 12 Jan 2023 12:30 UTC

Classic Shell for instance. It does still work ATM but is said to be
at the end of its development. Does anyone think that the standard Win
10/11 start menu is structured for the user's benefit? I can't see it.

My main problem though is with Dexpot, the best virtual desktop app
for Window I ever found. Recently the Desktop Manager ribbon has
become awfully minute on a couple of my Win 10 PCs.
No developments since 2017 and even folks who've donated can't get a
solution to this problem implemented.

Is there anything like a standard way of enlarging a certain feature
of such a program, that could be done by outside influences?
--

Mike

Re: Years spent building structures with software that's becoming obsolete.

<xn0nwri8j7gre8002@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2978&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2978

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 12 Jan 2023 14:08:40 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Thu, 12 Jan 2023 14:08 UTC

On 12/01/2023 in message <jfuvrh5b88jt2d3fkvcedbuie6d6s0m96h@4ax.com> Mike
Halmarack wrote:

>Classic Shell for instance. It does still work ATM but is said to be
>at the end of its development. Does anyone think that the standard Win
>10/11 start menu is structured for the user's benefit? I can't see it.

Now open source and going strong:

https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Tell me what you need, and I'll tell you how to get along without it.

Re: Years spent building structures with software that's becoming obsolete.

<k2dm5mFmg99U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2979&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2979

From: ema...@here.invalid (Adrian Caspersz)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Years spent building structures with software that's becoming
obsolete.
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2023 18:28:05 +0000
 by: Adrian Caspersz - Fri, 13 Jan 2023 18:28 UTC

On 12/01/2023 12:30, Mike Halmarack wrote:
> Classic Shell for instance. It does still work ATM but is said to be
> at the end of its development. Does anyone think that the standard Win
> 10/11 start menu is structured for the user's benefit? I can't see it.
>
> My main problem though is with Dexpot, the best virtual desktop app
> for Window I ever found. Recently the Desktop Manager ribbon has
> become awfully minute on a couple of my Win 10 PCs.
> No developments since 2017 and even folks who've donated can't get a
> solution to this problem implemented.

I'd make a Linux-window hybrid, having virtualised windows as a
subsystem to a saner linux desktop environment, delivering multiple
windows application window frames over either RDP or VNC.

The entire opposite to Microsoft's WSL intentions, it's what I do daily
- main machine is Debian XFCE, with windows stuff occasionally popping
up and dismissed.

> Is there anything like a standard way of enlarging a certain feature
> of such a program, that could be done by outside influences?

Crap native way. Stick the ribbon under the windows magnifier
application? :-p

There is even an API for that but it is 32-bit only, and probably
renders a pixelated mess.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/winauto/magapi/magapi-intro

--
Adrian C

Re: Years spent building structures with software that's becoming obsolete.

<l1u4shtsmjo2pkis9r3ki92j48t4voo50p@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2982&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2982

From: mikehalm...@gmail.com (Mike Halmarack)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 09:39:36 +0000
 by: Mike Halmarack - Sat, 14 Jan 2023 09:39 UTC

On 12 Jan 2023 14:08:40 GMT, "Jeff Gaines" <jgnewsid@outlook.com>
wrote:

>On 12/01/2023 in message <jfuvrh5b88jt2d3fkvcedbuie6d6s0m96h@4ax.com> Mike
>Halmarack wrote:
>
>>Classic Shell for instance. It does still work ATM but is said to be
>>at the end of its development. Does anyone think that the standard Win
>>10/11 start menu is structured for the user's benefit? I can't see it.
>
>Now open source and going strong:
>
>https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu

Ta muchly
--

Mike

Re: Years spent building structures with software that's becoming obsolete.

<53u4shpgecfp7eakkbk9bvdod0pgad7uii@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2983&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2983

From: mikehalm...@gmail.com (Mike Halmarack)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 09:41:41 +0000
 by: Mike Halmarack - Sat, 14 Jan 2023 09:41 UTC

On Fri, 13 Jan 2023 18:28:05 +0000, Adrian Caspersz
<email@here.invalid> wrote:

>On 12/01/2023 12:30, Mike Halmarack wrote:
>> Classic Shell for instance. It does still work ATM but is said to be
>> at the end of its development. Does anyone think that the standard Win
>> 10/11 start menu is structured for the user's benefit? I can't see it.
>>
>> My main problem though is with Dexpot, the best virtual desktop app
>> for Window I ever found. Recently the Desktop Manager ribbon has
>> become awfully minute on a couple of my Win 10 PCs.
>> No developments since 2017 and even folks who've donated can't get a
>> solution to this problem implemented.
>
>I'd make a Linux-window hybrid, having virtualised windows as a
>subsystem to a saner linux desktop environment, delivering multiple
>windows application window frames over either RDP or VNC.
>
>The entire opposite to Microsoft's WSL intentions, it's what I do daily
>- main machine is Debian XFCE, with windows stuff occasionally popping
>up and dismissed.
>>
>> Is there anything like a standard way of enlarging a certain feature
>> of such a program, that could be done by outside influences?
>
>Crap native way. Stick the ribbon under the windows magnifier
>application? :-p
>
>There is even an API for that but it is 32-bit only, and probably
>renders a pixelated mess.
>
>https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/winauto/magapi/magapi-intro

Thanks for the interesting, if big job, solutions.
--

Mike

Re: Years spent building structures with software that's becoming obsolete.

<tq398d$2mp57$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2984&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2984

From: vir.camp...@invalid.invalid (Vir Campestris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
obsolete.
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2023 10:34:53 +0000
 by: Vir Campestris - Mon, 16 Jan 2023 10:34 UTC

On 13/01/2023 18:28, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
> I'd make a Linux-window hybrid, having virtualised windows as a
> subsystem to a saner linux desktop environment, delivering multiple
> windows application window frames over either RDP or VNC.

I've switched to Linux, and put my old Windows install from my old PC in
a VM.

A few things don't work - I haven't yet got it to talk to my PVR over
the network, and it won't talk to the USB digitiser I want to grab all
my VHS tapes. But I'm sure I'll work it out in the end...

Andy