Have an adequate day.

aus+uk / uk.railway / Weymouth Station forecourt improvements

SubjectAuthor
* Weymouth Station forecourt improvementsMarland
+- Weymouth Station forecourt improvementsTheo
+* Weymouth Station forecourt improvementsRecliner
|`* Weymouth Station forecourt improvementsNobody
| +* Weymouth Station forecourt improvementsRecliner
| |`* Weymouth Station forecourt improvementsNobody
| | `* Weymouth Station forecourt improvementsAnna Noyd-Dryver
| |  `- Weymouth Station forecourt improvementsKen
| `* Weymouth Station forecourt improvementsAnna Noyd-Dryver
|  `* Weymouth Station forecourt improvementsKen
|   `- Weymouth Station forecourt improvementsMarland
`* Weymouth Station forecourt improvementsMuttley
 `* Weymouth Station forecourt improvementsMarland
  `* Weymouth Station forecourt improvementsMuttley
   `* Weymouth Station forecourt improvementsMarland
    +* Weymouth Station forecourt improvementsTheo
    |`* Weymouth Station forecourt improvementsRecliner
    | `* Weymouth Station forecourt improvementsMarland
    |  `* Weymouth Station forecourt improvementsRecliner
    |   +* Weymouth Station forecourt improvementsCharles Ellson
    |   |`- Weymouth Station forecourt improvementsmartin.coffee
    |   `* Weymouth Station forecourt improvementsGraeme Wall
    |    +* Weymouth Station forecourt improvementsMarland
    |    |`- Weymouth Station forecourt improvementsGraeme Wall
    |    `* Weymouth Station forecourt improvementsColinR
    |     `- Weymouth Station forecourt improvementsMarland
    +* Weymouth Station forecourt improvementsAnna Noyd-Dryver
    |`- Weymouth Station forecourt improvementsMarland
    `* Weymouth Station forecourt improvementsMuttley
     +* Weymouth Station forecourt improvementsMarland
     |`* Weymouth Station forecourt improvementsMuttley
     | +- Weymouth Station forecourt improvementsSam Wilson
     | `* Weymouth Station forecourt improvementsMarland
     |  +- Weymouth Station forecourt improvementsGraeme Wall
     |  `- Weymouth Station forecourt improvementsMuttley
     +* Weymouth Station forecourt improvementsAnna Noyd-Dryver
     |`- Weymouth Station forecourt improvementsMuttley
     +* Weymouth Station forecourt improvementsGraeme Wall
     |`- Weymouth Station forecourt improvementsMuttley
     `- Weymouth Station forecourt improvementsColinR

Pages:12
Weymouth Station forecourt improvements

<jeqptqF4neoU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29804&group=uk.railway#29804

From: gemeha...@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Weymouth Station forecourt improvements
Date: 21 May 2022 00:26:34 GMT
 by: Marland - Sat, 21 May 2022 00:26 UTC

These have been going on sometime and progress is listed here

<https://www.dorsetcoasthaveyoursay.co.uk/weymouth-gateway/widgets/38267/faqs>

As part of the final phase the last stub of the harbour branch which still
has track is being cleared
of debris and will become a pedestrian and cycle path with some track left
in place as a marker to its history.
At the time of writing the colour light signal that signalled trains off
the branch is still showing red like it has done since May 1999 since the
last train travelled over the now removed Tramway.
Have any other signals been left active on an unused ,then closed and
mainly lifted line for so long?

GH

Re: Weymouth Station forecourt improvements

<7cx*vLIOy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29811&group=uk.railway#29811

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Weymouth Station forecourt improvements
Date: 21 May 2022 09:39:51 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Sat, 21 May 2022 08:39 UTC

Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
> Have any other signals been left active on an unused ,then closed and
> mainly lifted line for so long?

The signal at Chesterton Junction protecting the St Ives line from trains
from Cambridge stayed red from the last train in 1992 until the line was
lifted for busway conversion around 2006. I think it stayed operational for
a while afterwards until signalling work was done in conjunction with
Cambridge North, which opened in 2017.

Theo

Re: Weymouth Station forecourt improvements

<t6a960$tb7$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29813&group=uk.railway#29813

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 08:51:12 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:Dvtgpc00vpU8bX0ZaIzrziK+dS4=
 by: Recliner - Sat, 21 May 2022 08:51 UTC

Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:

> These have been going on sometime and progress is listed here
>
> <https://www.dorsetcoasthaveyoursay.co.uk/weymouth-gateway/widgets/38267/faqs>
>
> As part of the final phase the last stub of the harbour branch which still
> has track is being cleared
> of debris and will become a pedestrian and cycle path with some track left
> in place as a marker to its history.
> At the time of writing the colour light signal that signalled trains off
> the branch is still showing red like it has done since May 1999 since the
> last train travelled over the now removed Tramway.
> Have any other signals been left active on an unused ,then closed and
> mainly lifted line for so long?

There's a picture of that famously redundant sign on Twitter:
<https://twitter.com/paulcliftonbbc/status/1527589800752160768?s=21&t=8ajzKTlycd2CKNEaQ4WTvA>

Re: Weymouth Station forecourt improvements

<t6abi3$1dmv$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29815&group=uk.railway#29815

From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 09:31:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Sat, 21 May 2022 09:31 UTC

On 21 May 2022 00:26:34 GMT
Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
>These have been going on sometime and progress is listed here
>
><https://www.dorsetcoasthaveyoursay.co.uk/weymouth-gateway/widgets/38267/faqs>
>
>As part of the final phase the last stub of the harbour branch which still
>has track is being cleared
>of debris and will become a pedestrian and cycle path with some track left
>in place as a marker to its history.

So they're creating a Railway Heritage Park by ripping up the railway. Right,
ok. More local council nonsense and money wasting not to mention the removal
of any chance of trains being able to get to the harbour ever again.

Re: Weymouth Station forecourt improvements

<jes4jfFc9qpU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29818&group=uk.railway#29818

From: gemeha...@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 21 May 2022 12:34:55 GMT
 by: Marland - Sat, 21 May 2022 12:34 UTC

<Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
> On 21 May 2022 00:26:34 GMT
> Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
>> These have been going on sometime and progress is listed here
>>
>> <https://www.dorsetcoasthaveyoursay.co.uk/weymouth-gateway/widgets/38267/faqs>
>>
>> As part of the final phase the last stub of the harbour branch which still
>> has track is being cleared
>> of debris and will become a pedestrian and cycle path with some track left
>> in place as a marker to its history.
>
> So they're creating a Railway Heritage Park by ripping up the railway. Right,
> ok. More local council nonsense and money wasting not to mention the removal
> of any chance of trains being able to get to the harbour ever again.

What the eck would you keep it for, the traffic for the harbour branch
dried up long ago.
The only users would be a few anoraks wetting themselves with excitement
at a train in a road giving
an excellent view of a bus garage,loading bays ,car parks and some run down
housing for much of the the route and then enjoying a feeling of
schadenfreude as the train they are on for pleasure disrupts the life of
those along the pretty harbour side bit.

The main part of the tramway was removed over the Winter of 2020-2021 and
an ordinary person now would never realise the roadway once had rails set
in it.
A good photo record of the demolition is hosted on the Cornwall Railways
society website Item 2023
<http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/features-july-to-december-2020.html>
Some photos show just how much track was still in situ under tarmac which
was cleared for removal and that a good proportion was on concrete sleepers
or foundation.
With the tramway section gone and lifted retaining a stub of track in the
extremely unlikely event of it being rebuilt has no point( well until its
disconnected from NR it has one ,sorry.) and compared with the cost of a
such a pie in the eye scheme the cost of rebuilding a few hundred feet of
rotting track on the stub that is left would be minor.
But its not going to happen , Weymouth station is better situated for rail
passengers to town, the Harbour line was for ferry passengers who no longer
pass that way and long disappeared wagon load freight to and from the
Channel Islands. Weymouth Harbour is no longer chasing commercial traffic
what with quay collapse and land development and earns its money from
yachting ,though thankfully the fishing and angling boats that still
provide some real atmosphere haven’t been driven away yet.
Any larger commercial traffic for the area will now be better off
heading for the nearby Port of Portland which has gradually expanded its
facilities since it took over the former Naval Base.
<https://www.portland-port.co.uk>
The Portland Branch was closed in 1965 (last train shown here and some
history here
<https://youtu.be/ZF_GIGvPNHY>. but its route used as a leisure path is
largely unobstructed as far as the Port
That would be a better candidate to throw money at to rebuild, the growing
Port might actually provided some traffic in the future.

GH

Re: Weymouth Station forecourt improvements

<t6atu9$pj4$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29819&group=uk.railway#29819

From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 14:45:29 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Sat, 21 May 2022 14:45 UTC

On 21 May 2022 12:34:55 GMT
Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
><Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>> On 21 May 2022 00:26:34 GMT
>> Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
>>> These have been going on sometime and progress is listed here
>>>

><https://www.dorsetcoasthaveyoursay.co.uk/weymouth-gateway/widgets/38267/faqs>
>>>
>>> As part of the final phase the last stub of the harbour branch which still
>>> has track is being cleared
>>> of debris and will become a pedestrian and cycle path with some track left
>>> in place as a marker to its history.
>>
>> So they're creating a Railway Heritage Park by ripping up the railway. Right,
>
>> ok. More local council nonsense and money wasting not to mention the removal
>> of any chance of trains being able to get to the harbour ever again.
>>

>What the eck would you keep it for, the traffic for the harbour branch
>dried up long ago.

What the eck do we need to spend 2% on defense for. Russia is our friend and
trading partner! Things change.

>housing for much of the the route and then enjoying a feeling of
>schadenfreude as the train they are on for pleasure disrupts the life of
>those along the pretty harbour side bit.

Disrupt how?

>With the tramway section gone and lifted retaining a stub of track in the
>extremely unlikely event of it being rebuilt has no point( well until its
>disconnected from NR it has one ,sorry.) and compared with the cost of a

Obviously it'll never be rebuilt, it would cost millions. As opposed to
leaving it in situ which cost nothing and caused zero inconvenience except to
a few muppet cyclists.

>pass that way and long disappeared wagon load freight to and from the
>Channel Islands. Weymouth Harbour is no longer chasing commercial traffic

Because obviously everything remains the same forever.

Re: Weymouth Station forecourt improvements

<qb0i8hh0jnra87ubthp7l3tp6usaui4rm1@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29821&group=uk.railway#29821

From: joc...@soccer.com (Nobody)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 08:18:25 -0700
 by: Nobody - Sat, 21 May 2022 15:18 UTC

On Sat, 21 May 2022 08:51:12 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
<recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> These have been going on sometime and progress is listed here
>>
>> <https://www.dorsetcoasthaveyoursay.co.uk/weymouth-gateway/widgets/38267/faqs>
>>
>> As part of the final phase the last stub of the harbour branch which still
>> has track is being cleared
>> of debris and will become a pedestrian and cycle path with some track left
>> in place as a marker to its history.
>> At the time of writing the colour light signal that signalled trains off
>> the branch is still showing red like it has done since May 1999 since the
>> last train travelled over the now removed Tramway.
>> Have any other signals been left active on an unused ,then closed and

>> mainly lifted line for so long?
>
>There's a picture of that famously redundant sign on Twitter:
> <https://twitter.com/paulcliftonbbc/status/1527589800752160768?s=21&t=8ajzKTlycd2CKNEaQ4WTvA>

"Which I love for being so completely pointless." Someone's on track.

Being that old, one would think the likely incandescent bulb inside
would've burned out.

Re: Weymouth Station forecourt improvements

<t6b1ca$uja$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29823&group=uk.railway#29823

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 15:44:10 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:Hvg2lW43ND11MePyrqgev/+sRpk=
 by: Recliner - Sat, 21 May 2022 15:44 UTC

Nobody <jock@soccer.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 21 May 2022 08:51:12 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
> <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> These have been going on sometime and progress is listed here
>>>
>>> <https://www.dorsetcoasthaveyoursay.co.uk/weymouth-gateway/widgets/38267/faqs>
>>>
>>> As part of the final phase the last stub of the harbour branch which still
>>> has track is being cleared
>>> of debris and will become a pedestrian and cycle path with some track left
>>> in place as a marker to its history.
>>> At the time of writing the colour light signal that signalled trains off
>>> the branch is still showing red like it has done since May 1999 since the
>>> last train travelled over the now removed Tramway.
>>> Have any other signals been left active on an unused ,then closed and
>
>>> mainly lifted line for so long?
>>
>> There's a picture of that famously redundant sign on Twitter:
>> <https://twitter.com/paulcliftonbbc/status/1527589800752160768?s=21&t=8ajzKTlycd2CKNEaQ4WTvA>
>
> "Which I love for being so completely pointless." Someone's on track.
>
> Being that old, one would think the likely incandescent bulb inside
> would've burned out.

It probably has done, multiple times, and been duly replaced. As one of the
tweets in the thread says:

If it wasn't lit, the "is the signal lit" sensor would detect it, and the
interlocking would panic and lock down the surrounding active railway
lines. It's probably simpler to leave it there than to modify the
interlocking…

Re: Weymouth Station forecourt improvements

<jesmibFfkheU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29825&group=uk.railway#29825

From: gemeha...@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 21 May 2022 17:41:31 GMT
 by: Marland - Sat, 21 May 2022 17:41 UTC

<Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
> On 21 May 2022 12:34:55 GMT
> Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
>> <Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>>>>

>> <https://www.dorsetcoasthaveyoursay.co.uk/weymouth-gateway/widgets/38267/faqs>

>>> So they're creating a Railway Heritage Park by ripping up the railway. Right,
>>
>>> ok. More local council nonsense and money wasting not to mention the removal
>>> of any chance of trains being able to get to the harbour ever again.
>>>

>> What the eck would you keep it for, the traffic for the harbour branch
>> dried up long ago.
>
> What the eck do we need to spend 2% on defense for. Russia is our friend and
> trading partner! Things change.
>
>> housing for much of the the route and then enjoying a feeling of
>> schadenfreude as the train they are on for pleasure disrupts the life of
>> those along the pretty harbour side bit.
>
> Disrupt how?

They would have to suspend parking to get a train through so the traders
may lose income from visitors ,it was bad enough when the line was in
regular use with people leaving cars too close
which had to be bumped out of the way and they were things like Vivas and
Morris 1100’s.
A modern car is usually much heavier and would need recovery vehicles to
move, mean while you have a train gumming up a road which is an important
link .
Weymouth is also busier with leisure visitors than it has been for years ,
it has just had its 2 trains per hour service to Waterloo reinstated to
cope with demand. <https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-61443348>
and a lot of them hang out around the harbour, I know that when Health and
safety is mentioned it can bring up cries of derision but running a train
within feet of pedestrians crowding around the area some of whom will be
young children with no road sense and others people semi inebriated from
the waterfront bars is not the wisest thing to do unless you can employ a
large team of people to walk alongside and keep them back.

>> With the tramway section gone and lifted retaining a stub of track in the
>> extremely unlikely event of it being rebuilt has no point( well until its
>> disconnected from NR it has one ,sorry.) and compared with the cost of a
>
> Obviously it'll never be rebuilt, it would cost millions. As opposed to
> leaving it in situ which cost nothing and caused zero inconvenience except to
> a few muppet cyclists.

>> pass that way and long disappeared wagon load freight to and from the
>> Channel Islands. Weymouth Harbour is no longer chasing commercial traffic
>
> Because obviously everything remains the same forever.

Precisely , The need for a rail link to Weymouth Harbour became obsolete
about 3 decades ago
and economically some time before that. It was a shame to see something
unusual go
but the stub that remains was a weed grown and litter attracting mess ,
turning into an accessible
path while keeping some rails as a memento isn’t too bad a thing to do with
it, better than incorporating into a car park.
Leaving it as it is would just see it disappear under vegetation and fly
tipping while it rots away completely.

GH

Re: Weymouth Station forecourt improvements

<dtai8hl8migfqndablkjrd0neus59eustf@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29826&group=uk.railway#29826

From: joc...@soccer.com (Nobody)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 11:18:12 -0700
 by: Nobody - Sat, 21 May 2022 18:18 UTC

On Sat, 21 May 2022 15:44:10 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
<recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>Nobody <jock@soccer.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 21 May 2022 08:51:12 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
>> <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> There's a picture of that famously redundant sign on Twitter:
>>> <https://twitter.com/paulcliftonbbc/status/1527589800752160768?s=21&t=8ajzKTlycd2CKNEaQ4WTvA>
>>
>> "Which I love for being so completely pointless." Someone's on track.
>>
>> Being that old, one would think the likely incandescent bulb inside
>> would've burned out.
>>

>It probably has done, multiple times, and been duly replaced. As one of the
>tweets in the thread says:
>
>If it wasn't lit, the "is the signal lit" sensor would detect it, and the
>interlocking would panic and lock down the surrounding active railway
>lines. It's probably simpler to leave it there than to modify the
>interlocking…

Years back, during Usenet average-user heydays, a poster to a.b.p.rail
from New Zealand used to travel a lot near the North Island Main Trunk
Line. His clue of a photo op was that the CTC signals were 'lit'. The
system was visually turned off if no traffic was active.

Re: Weymouth Station forecourt improvements

<5cx*-tLOy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29830&group=uk.railway#29830

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 21 May 2022 22:05:01 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Sat, 21 May 2022 21:05 UTC

Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
> Weymouth is also busier with leisure visitors than it has been for years ,
> it has just had its 2 trains per hour service to Waterloo reinstated to
> cope with demand. <https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-61443348>
> and a lot of them hang out around the harbour, I know that when Health and
> safety is mentioned it can bring up cries of derision but running a train
> within feet of pedestrians crowding around the area some of whom will be
> young children with no road sense and others people semi inebriated from
> the waterfront bars is not the wisest thing to do unless you can employ a
> large team of people to walk alongside and keep them back.

This was the last train. Looks like mayhem, and that was only a one-off
working:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPnuLF9X6TA

Theo

Re: Weymouth Station forecourt improvements

<t6blc2$9b6$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29831&group=uk.railway#29831

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 21:25:22 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:QeA3MEnP3z11Q6X2qK6RG/Mo6rs=
 by: Recliner - Sat, 21 May 2022 21:25 UTC

Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
>> Weymouth is also busier with leisure visitors than it has been for years ,
>> it has just had its 2 trains per hour service to Waterloo reinstated to
>> cope with demand. <https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-61443348>
>> and a lot of them hang out around the harbour, I know that when Health and
>> safety is mentioned it can bring up cries of derision but running a train
>> within feet of pedestrians crowding around the area some of whom will be
>> young children with no road sense and others people semi inebriated from
>> the waterfront bars is not the wisest thing to do unless you can employ a
>> large team of people to walk alongside and keep them back.
>
> This was the last train. Looks like mayhem, and that was only a one-off
> working:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPnuLF9X6TA

A driver's view video might be interesting!

Re: Weymouth Station forecourt improvements

<jetbnhFje6oU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29834&group=uk.railway#29834

From: gemeha...@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 21 May 2022 23:42:41 GMT
 by: Marland - Sat, 21 May 2022 23:42 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>> Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
>>> Weymouth is also busier with leisure visitors than it has been for years ,
>>>

>>>I know that when Health and
>>> safety is mentioned it can bring up cries of derision but running a train
>>> within feet of pedestrians crowding around the area some of whom will be
>>> young children with no road sense and others people semi inebriated from
>>> the waterfront bars is not the wisest thing to do unless you can employ a
>>> large team of people to walk alongside and keep them back.
>>
>> This was the last train. Looks like mayhem, and that was only a one-off
>> working:
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPnuLF9X6TA
>
> A driver's view video might be interesting!

Video 125 did one on a special a few years before , the area didn’t seem
quite so busy but an example of the regular car bumping required can be
seen at 7.30
<https://youtu.be/V0JAL1nKvog>

GH

Re: Weymouth Station forecourt improvements

<t6bvfv$4qn$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29835&group=uk.railway#29835

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 00:18:07 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:Ohj+PhuZXHi/UYypcdsa4+062bc=
 by: Recliner - Sun, 22 May 2022 00:18 UTC

Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

>>> This was the last train. Looks like mayhem, and that was only a one-off
>>> working:
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPnuLF9X6TA
>>
>> A driver's view video might be interesting!
>>

> Video 125 did one on a special a few years before , the area didn’t seem
> quite so busy but an example of the regular car bumping required can be
> seen at 7.30
> <https://youtu.be/V0JAL1nKvog>

Thanks, yes, a modern heavy car wouldn't be nearly as easy to move. You can
see why they needed a team of three blokes to lead the loco. It's also
apparent that the single track that still remained was the remnant of a
much more complex docks track network.

Re: Weymouth Station forecourt improvements

<rtbj8htphbksmvc1u8m0jel8ca2kakrts5@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29837&group=uk.railway#29837

From: charlese...@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 04:38:43 +0100
 by: Charles Ellson - Sun, 22 May 2022 03:38 UTC

On Sun, 22 May 2022 00:18:07 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
<recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> A driver's view video might be interesting!
>>>

>> Video 125 did one on a special a few years before , the area didn’t seem
>> quite so busy but an example of the regular car bumping required can be
>> seen at 7.30
>> <https://youtu.be/V0JAL1nKvog>
>>

>Thanks, yes, a modern heavy car wouldn't be nearly as easy to move. You can
>see why they needed a team of three blokes to lead the loco. It's also
>apparent that the single track that still remained was the remnant of a
>much more complex docks track network.

ISTR there is a farmer who specialises in swift removal of obstructing
vehicles. ;-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGTADk2rnPE

Re: Weymouth Station forecourt improvements

<t6cphj$dgd$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29840&group=uk.railway#29840

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 08:42:43 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Sun, 22 May 2022 07:42 UTC

On 22/05/2022 01:18, Recliner wrote:
> Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> A driver's view video might be interesting!
>>>

>> Video 125 did one on a special a few years before , the area didn’t seem
>> quite so busy but an example of the regular car bumping required can be
>> seen at 7.30
>> <https://youtu.be/V0JAL1nKvog>
>>

> Thanks, yes, a modern heavy car wouldn't be nearly as easy to move. You can
> see why they needed a team of three blokes to lead the loco. It's also
> apparent that the single track that still remained was the remnant of a
> much more complex docks track network.

I remember the tramway from the 1950s and there was a lot of shunting of
goods vans for the traffic in potatoes and tomatoes from the Channel
Isles. The quay lines were operated by 3 pannier tanks. Passenger
services were much more limited, operating in conjunction with the once
a day sailings of the St Julien.

My one and only trip over the line was on a special excursion on the
Orient Express, as was, in the 1980s.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: Weymouth Station forecourt improvements

<t6cq31$eg7$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29841&group=uk.railway#29841

From: martin.c...@round-midnight.org.uk
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 08:52:01 +0100
 by: martin.c...@round-midnight.org.uk - Sun, 22 May 2022 07:52 UTC

On 22/05/2022 04:38, Charles Ellson wrote:
> On Sun, 22 May 2022 00:18:07 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
> <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Video 125 did one on a special a few years before , the area didn’t seem
>>> quite so busy but an example of the regular car bumping required can be
>>> seen at 7.30
>>> <https://youtu.be/V0JAL1nKvog>
>>>

>> Thanks, yes, a modern heavy car wouldn't be nearly as easy to move. You can
>> see why they needed a team of three blokes to lead the loco. It's also
>> apparent that the single track that still remained was the remnant of a
>> much more complex docks track network.
>>
> ISTR there is a farmer who specialises in swift removal of obstructing
> vehicles. ;-)
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGTADk2rnPE

A very satisfying video. It's a shame more selfish car drivers are not
dealt with in a similar manner.

Re: Weymouth Station forecourt improvements

<jeugllFpuqcU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29843&group=uk.railway#29843

From: gemeha...@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 22 May 2022 10:13:09 GMT
 by: Marland - Sun, 22 May 2022 10:13 UTC

Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> My one and only trip over the line was on a special excursion on the
> Orient Express, as was, in the 1980s.

The Weymouth Harbour Master of the time was on that as a guest,I got to
know him a few years later
after he left the position but he mentioned it occasionally. The other
thing he spoke about was that around that time Weymouth Harbour was still
hoping to attract business and there was a serious suggestion to import car
parts possibly for Ford and use the tramway for freight again.
He gave the impression an empty test train was once worked in the early
hours but that could be exaggeration or false memory on his part and I
have never found any evidence such a move took place.
Alas he had reached that stage of life where any memories he retains could
not be recalled easily when I last met him just before Covid restrictions
stopped the occasional visit so even if I find he is still living in his
house it may be difficult to hold conversation .

GH

Re: Weymouth Station forecourt improvements

<t6d6kp$u2t$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29844&group=uk.railway#29844

From: rai...@greystane.shetland.co.uk (ColinR)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 12:26:19 +0100
 by: ColinR - Sun, 22 May 2022 11:26 UTC

On 22/05/2022 08:42, Graeme Wall wrote:
> On 22/05/2022 01:18, Recliner wrote:
>> Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Video 125 did one on a special a few years before , the area didn’t seem
>>> quite so busy but an example of the regular car bumping required can be
>>> seen at 7.30
>>> <https://youtu.be/V0JAL1nKvog>
>>>

>> Thanks, yes, a modern heavy car wouldn't be nearly as easy to move.
>> You can
>> see why they needed a team of three blokes to lead the loco. It's also
>> apparent that the single track that still remained was the remnant of a
>> much more complex docks track network.
>
> I remember the tramway from the 1950s and there was a lot of shunting of
> goods vans for the traffic in potatoes and tomatoes from the Channel
> Isles. The quay lines were operated by 3 pannier tanks. Passenger
> services were much more limited, operating in conjunction with the once
> a day sailings of the St Julien.
>
> My one and only trip over the line was on a special excursion on the
> Orient Express, as was, in the 1980s.

When I worked on the ferries I was sometimes able to get a quick relief
and join the boat train at the ferryport, or walking to the old cargo
berth and jumping on the train as it passed at walking pace!

Much quicker to Southampton than walking to the conventional station and
joining the "all stations" train to Bournemouth and Southampton!

Still, less attractive motive power than a pannier, a class 33.

--
Colin

Re: Weymouth Station forecourt improvements

<t6d87d$8o1$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29845&group=uk.railway#29845

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 12:53:17 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Sun, 22 May 2022 11:53 UTC

On 22/05/2022 11:13, Marland wrote:
> Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>

>> My one and only trip over the line was on a special excursion on the
>> Orient Express, as was, in the 1980s.
>>
> The Weymouth Harbour Master of the time was on that as a guest,I got to
> know him a few years later
> after he left the position but he mentioned it occasionally. The other
> thing he spoke about was that around that time Weymouth Harbour was still
> hoping to attract business and there was a serious suggestion to import car
> parts possibly for Ford and use the tramway for freight again.

That was mentioned at the time I seem to recall. The main reason for the
trip was the recommissioning of a refurbished Sealink ferry for the
Channel Island routes.

> He gave the impression an empty test train was once worked in the early
> hours but that could be exaggeration or false memory on his part and I
> have never found any evidence such a move took place.

Given the tight curves and resulting flange squeal, that wouldn't have
been a popular move.

> Alas he had reached that stage of life where any memories he retains could
> not be recalled easily when I last met him just before Covid restrictions
> stopped the occasional visit so even if I find he is still living in his
> house it may be difficult to hold conversation .

That's a shame

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: Weymouth Station forecourt improvements

<jeuq1tFrmnjU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29846&group=uk.railway#29846

From: gemeha...@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 22 May 2022 12:53:17 GMT
<t6d6kp$u2t$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Marland - Sun, 22 May 2022 12:53 UTC

ColinR <rail@greystane.shetland.co.uk> wrote:
> On 22/05/2022 08:42, Graeme Wall wrote:

>> My one and only trip over the line was on a special excursion on the
>> Orient Express, as was, in the 1980s.
>>

> When I worked on the ferries I was sometimes able to get a quick relief
> and join the boat train at the ferryport, or walking to the old cargo
> berth and jumping on the train as it passed at walking pace!
>
> Much quicker to Southampton than walking to the conventional station and
> joining the "all stations" train to Bournemouth and Southampton!

I managed two trips over the line, the 1st one when I was still a
schoolboy with a mate while we were exploring Southern England on a
railrover.
Amongst the Terms and Conditions was a mention that it wasn’t valid on
Continental Boat trains,
when the ticket inspector raised this point we argued that the Weymouth
service was called a Channel Island Boat train and that was how it was
described on the attached Coach Roof Boards., and that the Channel Islands
were not part of the Continent.
He either accepted we were right or could not be bothered to argue with a
couple of know all 16 year olds and went on his way.

Second one I just got on a Weymouth bound one at Southampton which I think
was a scheduled stop anyway, if it wasn’t then I just got lucky.

Incidentally though peoples opinions differ on wether the tramway rails
should have been left in situ but filled in their removal has made a
general tidying up of the quayside easier with a view of making it more
presentable and allowing cafes and bars a bit more outside space.

This surface coating was being applied last week
<https://youtu.be/c96BgApPmok>
though the pavement is going to be redone as the colour shade has turned
out wrong.
<https://youtu.be/7wE_a9G4XbE>

Rails have been left in place out of trafficked areas at King Street and
on the curve at Cosens Quay as a nod to the past and some will be left on
the stub that was the part of the subject of this thread.

GH

Re: Weymouth Station forecourt improvements

<t6df8f$n65$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29851&group=uk.railway#29851

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 13:53:19 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:lmG+PU0MeqLulmGo0HEG7dzenwg=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Sun, 22 May 2022 13:53 UTC

Nobody <jock@soccer.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 21 May 2022 08:51:12 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
> <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> These have been going on sometime and progress is listed here
>>>
>>> <https://www.dorsetcoasthaveyoursay.co.uk/weymouth-gateway/widgets/38267/faqs>
>>>
>>> As part of the final phase the last stub of the harbour branch which still
>>> has track is being cleared
>>> of debris and will become a pedestrian and cycle path with some track left
>>> in place as a marker to its history.
>>> At the time of writing the colour light signal that signalled trains off
>>> the branch is still showing red like it has done since May 1999 since the
>>> last train travelled over the now removed Tramway.
>>> Have any other signals been left active on an unused ,then closed and
>
>>> mainly lifted line for so long?
>>
>> There's a picture of that famously redundant sign on Twitter:
>> <https://twitter.com/paulcliftonbbc/status/1527589800752160768?s=21&t=8ajzKTlycd2CKNEaQ4WTvA>
>
> "Which I love for being so completely pointless." Someone's on track.
>
> Being that old, one would think the likely incandescent bulb inside
> would've burned out.

It will have still been lit because it was interlocked with the signalling
system; so it will have been replaced whenever it failed, and IIRC filament
lamps are replaced routinely before failure anyway.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: Weymouth Station forecourt improvements

<t6df8g$n65$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29852&group=uk.railway#29852

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 13:53:20 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:5CyYUMtbJYXeWh9tSNspbzTvig0=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Sun, 22 May 2022 13:53 UTC

Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
> <Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>> On 21 May 2022 12:34:55 GMT
>> Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
>>>>>

>>> <https://www.dorsetcoasthaveyoursay.co.uk/weymouth-gateway/widgets/38267/faqs>

>>> What the eck would you keep it for, the traffic for the harbour branch
>>> dried up long ago.
>>
>> What the eck do we need to spend 2% on defense for. Russia is our friend and
>> trading partner! Things change.
>>
>>> housing for much of the the route and then enjoying a feeling of
>>> schadenfreude as the train they are on for pleasure disrupts the life of
>>> those along the pretty harbour side bit.
>>
>> Disrupt how?
>>
> They would have to suspend parking to get a train through so the traders
> may lose income from visitors ,it was bad enough when the line was in
> regular use with people leaving cars too close
> which had to be bumped out of the way and they were things like Vivas and
> Morris 1100’s.
> A modern car is usually much heavier and would need recovery vehicles to
> move, mean while you have a train gumming up a road which is an important
> link .
> Weymouth is also busier with leisure visitors than it has been for years ,
> it has just had its 2 trains per hour service to Waterloo reinstated to
> cope with demand. <https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-61443348>
> and a lot of them hang out around the harbour, I know that when Health and
> safety is mentioned it can bring up cries of derision but running a train
> within feet of pedestrians crowding around the area some of whom will be
> young children with no road sense and others people semi inebriated from
> the waterfront bars is not the wisest thing to do unless you can employ a
> large team of people to walk alongside and keep them back.

OTOH trams manage fine, and Bristol Harbour Railway manages without even
the driver at the front of the train.

If the harbour train ran every day, you'd alter the parking
bays/permissions to make sure it was never obstructed.

One of the bigger problems with Weymouth Harbour line is that if you run a
through train to the branch from elsewhere, you can't serve the mainline
station unless you build a new platform; so to run shuttles from the
station to the harbour would also have required a new platform. The more
sensible alternative perhaps would have been to run tramway-type vehicles.

Also IIRC the tramway went quite a way out of the way for a journey which
end-to-end really wasn't that far by foot. A quick Google suggests around
twice as far.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: Weymouth Station forecourt improvements

<t6df8g$n65$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29853&group=uk.railway#29853

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 13:53:20 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:KrD8MFsDH/gR8vnZWdBQ7/CtVl8=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Sun, 22 May 2022 13:53 UTC

Nobody <jock@soccer.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 21 May 2022 15:44:10 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
> <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Nobody <jock@soccer.com> wrote:

>>> "Which I love for being so completely pointless." Someone's on track.
>>>
>>> Being that old, one would think the likely incandescent bulb inside
>>> would've burned out.
>>>

>> It probably has done, multiple times, and been duly replaced. As one of the
>> tweets in the thread says:
>>
>> If it wasn't lit, the "is the signal lit" sensor would detect it, and the
>> interlocking would panic and lock down the surrounding active railway
>> lines. It's probably simpler to leave it there than to modify the
>> interlocking…
>
> Years back, during Usenet average-user heydays, a poster to a.b.p.rail
> from New Zealand used to travel a lot near the North Island Main Trunk
> Line. His clue of a photo op was that the CTC signals were 'lit'. The
> system was visually turned off if no traffic was active.

Different systems have different methods of working!

I know of a handful of approach-lit [1] signals on NR and LU, provided for
specific local circumstances.

[1] the signal needs to be proved to be lit before the route can be set
towards it.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: Weymouth Station forecourt improvements

<jev7dtFu6a7U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29855&group=uk.railway#29855

From: gemeha...@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 22 May 2022 16:41:33 GMT
 by: Marland - Sun, 22 May 2022 16:41 UTC

Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> wrote:
> Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:

>> Weymouth is also busier with leisure visitors than it has been for years ,
>> it has just had its 2 trains per hour service to Waterloo reinstated to
>> cope with demand. <https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-61443348>
>> and a lot of them hang out around the harbour, I know that when Health and
>> safety is mentioned it can bring up cries of derision but running a train
>> within feet of pedestrians crowding around the area some of whom will be
>> young children with no road sense and others people semi inebriated from
>> the waterfront bars is not the wisest thing to do unless you can employ a
>> large team of people to walk alongside and keep them back.
>>

> OTOH trams manage fine, and Bristol Harbour Railway manages without even
> the driver at the front of the train.
They do , but even high platform trams like Manchester uses do a pretty
good job of shrouding the running gear and the clearance between tram and
ground is fairly tight,
British Mainline stock has a much bigger gap and I can imagine some twerp
rather than wait for the train to pass ducking under a coach as it passes
at walking pace and misjudging it.
Bristol Harbour is interesting but has greater clearances ,pedestrians are
not squeezed into a fairly narrow gap between train and a building or
narrow pavement as occurred in several locations at Weymouth , besides
seeing what is going on around two wagons and a brakevan top and tailed by
small industrial steam locos is easier than around six or more main line
coaches.
Do modern generation trams have the life guard trays that the first
generation ones had?

> If the harbour train ran every day, you'd alter the parking
> bays/permissions to make sure it was never obstructed.

Didn’t work in times past and I don’t think motorists behaviour has
improved, if anything it has got worse and with vehicles being larger would
happen more often. OK you can issue parking fines or tow vehicles away but
the delay still takes place and it would usually be people who thought “I’m
only going to be a couple of minutes which turns into 30 that cause
problems rather than people in proper spaces.

> One of the bigger problems with Weymouth Harbour line is that if you run a
> through train to the branch from elsewhere, you can't serve the mainline
> station unless you build a new platform; so to run shuttles from the
> station to the harbour would also have required a new platform. The more
> sensible alternative perhaps would have been to run tramway-type vehicles.

One of Parry’s people movers failed on a test,you would have thought
someone would have cleaned the flangeway to give it a chance.

<https://youtu.be/YQNS_WxHfXc>

> Also IIRC the tramway went quite a way out of the way for a journey which
> end-to-end really wasn't that far by foot. A quick Google suggests around
> twice as far.

Indeed,
Visitors to Weymouth by train are better served by the main station from
which its a pleasant stroll either through the streets or along the Sea
Front if they wish to get to the Harbour.
The actual tramway was only scenically interesting for about half its
length so would not be particularly attractive as a ride for pleasure, and
in a vehicle that would not have represented the lines history accurately.

Still its gone now so our discussions can only be about what could have
happened.
GH