From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Recent CME caused issues for satterlite tv?
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2021 10:05:10 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Sat, 11 Dec 2021 10:05 UTC

I only ask since I was told by a friend who is quite near the edge of the
official footprint of the satellites that since around Tuesday to this
morning the pictures have been hit and miss from time to time and apparently
this coincided with a coronal mass ejection occurring in the area of Earth
upsetting propagation. However since the sats are so high in frequency and
beamed, would this really happen, or is it that his dish maybe got slightly
pushed out of line by those very strong winds I wonder.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Re: Recent CME caused issues for satterlite tv?

<sp1uhv$bnv$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29928&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#29928

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: Recent CME caused issues for satterlite tv?
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2021 10:29:19 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:GwGqicVljhO91K0BvGTOS19LnWo=
 by: Tweed - Sat, 11 Dec 2021 10:29 UTC

Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> I only ask since I was told by a friend who is quite near the edge of the
> official footprint of the satellites that since around Tuesday to this
> morning the pictures have been hit and miss from time to time and apparently
> this coincided with a coronal mass ejection occurring in the area of Earth
> upsetting propagation. However since the sats are so high in frequency and
> beamed, would this really happen, or is it that his dish maybe got slightly
> pushed out of line by those very strong winds I wonder.
> Brian

It’s the wind. Direct broadcast satellite frequencies are much too high to
be affected by the ionosphere. The only real danger from a coronal mass
ejection is that the energetic particles could damage the satellite
electronics. That would cause the transmissions to cease. Radiation
hardened electronics and passive shielding techniques for spacecraft are a
known technology these days.

Re: Recent CME caused issues for satterlite tv?

<u$bbUDDmLIthFwwc@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29929&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#29929

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2021 10:52:22 +0000
 by: John Hall - Sat, 11 Dec 2021 10:52 UTC

No problems with Sky here. Admittedly I don't watch an awful lot of TV,
and it's possible there were problems when I wasn't watching.

John Hall

In message <sp1t4s$hei$1@dont-email.me>, "Brian Gaff (Sofa)"
<briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> writes
>I only ask since I was told by a friend who is quite near the edge of the
>official footprint of the satellites that since around Tuesday to this
>morning the pictures have been hit and miss from time to time and apparently
>this coincided with a coronal mass ejection occurring in the area of Earth
>upsetting propagation. However since the sats are so high in frequency and
>beamed, would this really happen, or is it that his dish maybe got slightly
>pushed out of line by those very strong winds I wonder.
> Brian

Re: Recent CME caused issues for satterlite tv?

<sp4p4t$1qql$2@macpro.inf.ed.ac.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29936&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#29936

From: rich...@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2021 12:15:25 +0000 (UTC)
Originator: richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin)
 by: Richard Tobin - Sun, 12 Dec 2021 12:15 UTC

In article <sp1t4s$hei$1@dont-email.me>,
Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) <briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>I only ask since I was told by a friend who is quite near the edge of the
>official footprint of the satellites that since around Tuesday to this
>morning the pictures have been hit and miss from time to time and apparently
>this coincided with a coronal mass ejection occurring in the area of Earth
>upsetting propagation.

Unlikely. All recent solar events have been fairly minor. And if
they caused problems, it will be a lot worse in a couple of years -
we're just coming out of a regular solar minimum.

>However since the sats are so high in frequency and
>beamed, would this really happen, or is it that his dish maybe got slightly
>pushed out of line by those very strong winds I wonder.

Wind is much more likely I think!

-- Richard