We ARE as gods and might as well get good at it. -- Whole Earth Catalog

aus+uk / uk.railway / Rail strike: RMT union votes for national action

SubjectAuthor
* Rail strike: RMT union votes for national actionCertes
`* Rail strike: RMT union votes for national actionRoland Perry
 +* Rail strike: RMT union votes for national actionSam Wilson
 |+- Rail strike: RMT union votes for national actionCertes
 |+* Rail strike: RMT union votes for national actionRoland Perry
 ||`* Rail strike: RMT union votes for national actionScott
 || `* Rail strike: RMT union votes for national actionRoland Perry
 ||  `* Rail strike: RMT union votes for national actionScott
 ||   `* Rail strike: RMT union votes for national actionRoland Perry
 ||    `- Rail strike: RMT union votes for national actionScott
 |`* Rail strike: RMT union votes for national actionMB
 | `- Rail strike: RMT union votes for national actionCharles Ellson
 `- Rail strike: RMT union votes for national actionMB

1
Rail strike: RMT union votes for national action

<t6jkm8$4jp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29968&group=uk.railway#29968

From: non...@nowhere.net (Certes)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Rail strike: RMT union votes for national action
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 23:02:48 +0100
 by: Certes - Tue, 24 May 2022 22:02 UTC

Railway workers have voted to go on national strike threatening major
summer travel disruption across the UK.

Members of the RMT union have voted in favour of strike action across
Network Rail and 13 train operating companies.

General secretary Mick Lynch said "members want a decent pay rise, job
security and no compulsory redundancies".

The Department for Transport said strikes should always be the last
resort not the first.

<https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61573206>

Re: Rail strike: RMT union votes for national action

<YApjGIi7DcjiFA4$@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29973&group=uk.railway#29973

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 06:39:07 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Wed, 25 May 2022 05:39 UTC

In message <t6jkm8$4jp$1@dont-email.me>, at 23:02:48 on Tue, 24 May
2022, Certes <none@nowhere.net> remarked:
>Railway workers have voted to go on national strike threatening major
>summer travel disruption across the UK.
>
>Members of the RMT union have voted in favour of strike action across
>Network Rail and 13 train operating companies.
>
>General secretary Mick Lynch said "members want a decent pay rise, job
>security and no compulsory redundancies".

Perhaps they should be happy with either a pay rise (with some
redundancies to balance the books), or job security at the old pay.

Although why they deserve a bigger pay rise than nurses, is something
they need to explain fully.

--
Roland Perry

Re: Rail strike: RMT union votes for national action

<t6l1na$leb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29986&group=uk.railway#29986

From: ukr...@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 10:51:22 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:Gjncs4VVRRhOlkyzFrYpSq3upTs=
 by: Sam Wilson - Wed, 25 May 2022 10:51 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <t6jkm8$4jp$1@dont-email.me>, at 23:02:48 on Tue, 24 May
> 2022, Certes <none@nowhere.net> remarked:
>> Railway workers have voted to go on national strike threatening major
>> summer travel disruption across the UK.
>>
>> Members of the RMT union have voted in favour of strike action across
>> Network Rail and 13 train operating companies.
>>
>> General secretary Mick Lynch said "members want a decent pay rise, job
>> security and no compulsory redundancies".
>
> Perhaps they should be happy with either a pay rise (with some
> redundancies to balance the books), or job security at the old pay.
>
> Although why they deserve a bigger pay rise than nurses, is something
> they need to explain fully.

Why nurses get crap pay rises is also something that needs to be explained.

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: Rail strike: RMT union votes for national action

<t6l2jf$r1m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29988&group=uk.railway#29988

From: non...@nowhere.net (Certes)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 12:06:23 +0100
 by: Certes - Wed, 25 May 2022 11:06 UTC

On 25/05/2022 11:51, Sam Wilson wrote:
> Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>> In message <t6jkm8$4jp$1@dont-email.me>, at 23:02:48 on Tue, 24 May
>> 2022, Certes <none@nowhere.net> remarked:
>>> Railway workers have voted to go on national strike threatening major
>>> summer travel disruption across the UK.
>>>
>>> Members of the RMT union have voted in favour of strike action across
>>> Network Rail and 13 train operating companies.
>>>
>>> General secretary Mick Lynch said "members want a decent pay rise, job
>>> security and no compulsory redundancies".
>>
>> Perhaps they should be happy with either a pay rise (with some
>> redundancies to balance the books), or job security at the old pay.
>>
>> Although why they deserve a bigger pay rise than nurses, is something
>> they need to explain fully.
>
> Why nurses get crap pay rises is also something that needs to be explained.

Yes. We can't afford to throw money at everyone, but nurses are a
special case. The derisory rise was untimely and I wouldn't have blamed
them for walking out.

Re: Rail strike: RMT union votes for national action

<CfDVhKrRJhjiFArd@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29990&group=uk.railway#29990

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 12:26:09 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Wed, 25 May 2022 11:26 UTC

In message <t6l1na$leb$1@dont-email.me>, at 10:51:22 on Wed, 25 May
2022, Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> remarked:
>Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>> In message <t6jkm8$4jp$1@dont-email.me>, at 23:02:48 on Tue, 24 May
>> 2022, Certes <none@nowhere.net> remarked:
>>> Railway workers have voted to go on national strike threatening major
>>> summer travel disruption across the UK.
>>>
>>> Members of the RMT union have voted in favour of strike action across
>>> Network Rail and 13 train operating companies.
>>>
>>> General secretary Mick Lynch said "members want a decent pay rise, job
>>> security and no compulsory redundancies".
>>
>> Perhaps they should be happy with either a pay rise (with some
>> redundancies to balance the books), or job security at the old pay.
>>
>> Although why they deserve a bigger pay rise than nurses, is something
>> they need to explain fully.
>
>Why nurses get crap pay rises is also something that needs to be explained.

Because it's a "public sector pay" issue. And there's not enough money
to go round. Which makes it all the more odd for the rail unions to have
been clamouring for years to be returned to the public sector.

Be careful what you wish for!
--
Roland Perry

Re: Rail strike: RMT union votes for national action

<h9ke9h9mp20qm7ahkv6t5j5vemdbql4tkg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30506&group=uk.railway#30506

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2022 12:47:05 +0100
 by: Scott - Wed, 1 Jun 2022 11:47 UTC

On Wed, 25 May 2022 12:26:09 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk>
wrote:

>In message <t6l1na$leb$1@dont-email.me>, at 10:51:22 on Wed, 25 May
>2022, Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> remarked:
>>Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <t6jkm8$4jp$1@dont-email.me>, at 23:02:48 on Tue, 24 May
>>> 2022, Certes <none@nowhere.net> remarked:

>>> Perhaps they should be happy with either a pay rise (with some
>>> redundancies to balance the books), or job security at the old pay.
>>>
>>> Although why they deserve a bigger pay rise than nurses, is something
>>> they need to explain fully.
>>
>>Why nurses get crap pay rises is also something that needs to be explained.
>
>Because it's a "public sector pay" issue. And there's not enough money
>to go round. Which makes it all the more odd for the rail unions to have
>been clamouring for years to be returned to the public sector.
>
>Be careful what you wish for!

Network Rail is surely a 'public sector pay' issue.

As is ScotRail.

The opportunity to be part of Scotland's Railway run for the benefit
of the people of Scotland has not dissuaded Aslef members declining to
work rest days.

Re: Rail strike: RMT union votes for national action

<t77moa$t5n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30511&group=uk.railway#30511

From: MB...@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2022 13:40:43 +0100
 by: MB - Wed, 1 Jun 2022 12:40 UTC

On 25/05/2022 06:39, Roland Perry wrote:
> Although why they deserve a bigger pay rise than nurses, is something
> they need to explain fully.

They will just say their aim is to overthrow the democratically elected
government then EVERYONE will be given huge pay rises. (Corbyn school
of economics)

Re: Rail strike: RMT union votes for national action

<t77msi$t5n$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30512&group=uk.railway#30512

From: MB...@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2022 13:42:59 +0100
 by: MB - Wed, 1 Jun 2022 12:42 UTC

On 25/05/2022 11:51, Sam Wilson wrote:
> Why nurses get crap pay rises is also something that needs to be explained.

Easy, because they will never go on strike.

Re: Rail strike: RMT union votes for national action

<YPpTFMNhy4liFAoi@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30520&group=uk.railway#30520

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2022 16:58:25 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Wed, 1 Jun 2022 15:58 UTC

In message <h9ke9h9mp20qm7ahkv6t5j5vemdbql4tkg@4ax.com>, at 12:47:05 on
Wed, 1 Jun 2022, Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> remarked:
>On Wed, 25 May 2022 12:26:09 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk>
>wrote:
>
>>In message <t6l1na$leb$1@dont-email.me>, at 10:51:22 on Wed, 25 May
>>2022, Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> remarked:

>>>Why nurses get crap pay rises is also something that needs to be explained.
>>
>>Because it's a "public sector pay" issue. And there's not enough money
>>to go round. Which makes it all the more odd for the rail unions to have
>>been clamouring for years to be returned to the public sector.
>>
>>Be careful what you wish for!
>
>Network Rail is surely a 'public sector pay' issue.
>
>As is ScotRail.

Yes, but there are rather more nurses than train drivers, and paid from
a different ministerial budget.
--
Roland Perry

Re: Rail strike: RMT union votes for national action

<3oug9h9godngane3obr2fm401b49nmj3pc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30552&group=uk.railway#30552

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2022 09:58:48 +0100
 by: Scott - Thu, 2 Jun 2022 08:58 UTC

On Wed, 1 Jun 2022 16:58:25 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk>
wrote:

>In message <h9ke9h9mp20qm7ahkv6t5j5vemdbql4tkg@4ax.com>, at 12:47:05 on
>Wed, 1 Jun 2022, Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> remarked:
>>On Wed, 25 May 2022 12:26:09 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>In message <t6l1na$leb$1@dont-email.me>, at 10:51:22 on Wed, 25 May
>>>2022, Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> remarked:

>>>Because it's a "public sector pay" issue. And there's not enough money
>>>to go round. Which makes it all the more odd for the rail unions to have
>>>been clamouring for years to be returned to the public sector.
>>>
>>>Be careful what you wish for!
>>
>>Network Rail is surely a 'public sector pay' issue.
>>
>>As is ScotRail.
>
>Yes, but there are rather more nurses than train drivers, and paid from
>a different ministerial budget.

I can't see that argument finding much traction (if you excuse the
pun). If the SNP want to take ScotRail into public ownership, I think
many others in the public sector will say they deserve equal
treatment. Politically, will the SNP be able to resist this when they
may soon be looking for votes in a referendum?

(This is not intended as a comment for or against Scottish
independence)

Re: Rail strike: RMT union votes for national action

<GnHUvnlVmamiFAQI@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30594&group=uk.railway#30594

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2022 07:26:29 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Fri, 3 Jun 2022 06:26 UTC

In message <3oug9h9godngane3obr2fm401b49nmj3pc@4ax.com>, at 09:58:48 on
Thu, 2 Jun 2022, Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> remarked:
>On Wed, 1 Jun 2022 16:58:25 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk>
>wrote:
>
>>In message <h9ke9h9mp20qm7ahkv6t5j5vemdbql4tkg@4ax.com>, at 12:47:05 on
>>Wed, 1 Jun 2022, Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> remarked:

>>>Network Rail is surely a 'public sector pay' issue.
>>>
>>>As is ScotRail.
>>
>>Yes, but there are rather more nurses than train drivers, and paid from
>>a different ministerial budget.
>
>I can't see that argument finding much traction (if you excuse the
>pun). If the SNP want to take ScotRail into public ownership, I think
>many others in the public sector will say they deserve equal
>treatment.

That equal treatment going forward, for "them" (Scotrail staff) would be
low pay rises. I can't help feeling the RMT doesn't agree.

>Politically, will the SNP be able to resist this when they
>may soon be looking for votes in a referendum?

I'd vote for a strong government that treated public sector railway
employees equally with existing ones. *Especially* as an end to
privatisation is what the rail unions have been calling for all these
years.

--
Roland Perry

Re: Rail strike: RMT union votes for national action

<07hj9h1kjvialjv3oaeic6adjog1ihb5m5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30597&group=uk.railway#30597

From: charlese...@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2022 09:23:17 +0100
 by: Charles Ellson - Fri, 3 Jun 2022 08:23 UTC

On Wed, 1 Jun 2022 13:42:59 +0100, MB <MB@nospam.net> wrote:

>On 25/05/2022 11:51, Sam Wilson wrote:
>> Why nurses get crap pay rises is also something that needs to be explained.
>
>Easy, because they will never go on strike.

They already have on several occasions.

Re: Rail strike: RMT union votes for national action

<gqij9hpuaclm5ltthcnmpu22r1cuurk76p@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30599&group=uk.railway#30599

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2022 09:52:38 +0100
 by: Scott - Fri, 3 Jun 2022 08:52 UTC

On Fri, 3 Jun 2022 07:26:29 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk>
wrote:

>In message <3oug9h9godngane3obr2fm401b49nmj3pc@4ax.com>, at 09:58:48 on
>Thu, 2 Jun 2022, Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> remarked:
>>On Wed, 1 Jun 2022 16:58:25 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>In message <h9ke9h9mp20qm7ahkv6t5j5vemdbql4tkg@4ax.com>, at 12:47:05 on
>>>Wed, 1 Jun 2022, Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> remarked:

>>>Yes, but there are rather more nurses than train drivers, and paid from
>>>a different ministerial budget.
>>
>>I can't see that argument finding much traction (if you excuse the
>>pun). If the SNP want to take ScotRail into public ownership, I think
>>many others in the public sector will say they deserve equal
>>treatment.
>
>That equal treatment going forward, for "them" (Scotrail staff) would be
>low pay rises. I can't help feeling the RMT doesn't agree.
>
>>Politically, will the SNP be able to resist this when they
>>may soon be looking for votes in a referendum?
>
>I'd vote for a strong government that treated public sector railway
>employees equally with existing ones. *Especially* as an end to
>privatisation is what the rail unions have been calling for all these
>years.
>
>>(This is not intended as a comment for or against Scottish
>>independence)

When I was employed in the public sector (before I retired), I
jokingly suggested we should disaffiliate from our existing union and
affiliate to the RMT instead then ask brother Crow to lead the pay
talks.