From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.tv
Subject: iView
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 17:07:28 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Mon, 17 May 2021 07:07 UTC

Looks like the ABC is going to require that you have an account before
you can use iView. I wonder what they are going to do with the details
that you'll need to enter.

Re: iView

<s7v1c2$i8m$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31&group=aus.tv#31

From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: aus.tv
Subject: Re: iView
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 00:22:27 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Tue, 18 May 2021 00:22 UTC

keithr0 <user@account.invalid> wrote:
> Looks like the ABC is going to require that you have an account before
> you can use iView. I wonder what they are going to do with the details
> that you'll need to enter.

In short, they'll pass it on to all and sundry just like a
commercial organisation would. With the usual assurances that
they won't be selling your info directly, though they are
apparantly using various third-party services to promote and sell
their paid products. See below.

This might prevent youtube-dl from working (when it actually does,
which has been rare in my limited experience), which is a shame.
I really don't use iView myself at all though anyway, only the
direct video download URLs which can still be found in the page
source code at the homepages for shows like 4 Corners and Foreign
Correspondent. Even then, only if I missed the TV broadcast
(entertainment shows usually get repeated to death on TV anyway).

It'll annoy me a lot if those shows switch to only hosting videos
on iView though.

https://help.abc.net.au/hc/en-us/articles/360001154976-ABC-Privacy-Policy

"Information that is personally identifiable to the ABC**

If you have registered for an ABC Account, or subscribed to an ABC
newsletter, we may combine information from your registration with
the information we collect about your use of our digital services,
and other information you provide to us. This is done in order to
analyse how you and other people use our digital services in detail
and, where you have opted to receive such communications, to send
you email and other communications that might be of interest to
you. This information may also be used to provide personalised
services or content suggestions based on your previous use of our
digital services. The combined information may include information
that is collected about your use of our digital services while you
are not signed in, and information that was collected before you
registered or signed in. Where the combined information can be used
to identify you, we may use and disclose it in accordance with this
Privacy Policy."

"1.3 Disclosure of personal information

We may disclose your personal information that we collect to our:

*technology service providers, including, internet service
providers, app service providers, cloud hosting service
providers, software suppliers, and maintenance and support
service providers and security services on a confidential
basis so that they can provide services to us

*ABC online store fulfilment partners and delivery service
providers

*marketing and promotions service providers; and
analytics service providers.

As described above in the section on \u201cThird party cookies,
beacons and other technologies\u201d, we may also allow some of our
marketing and promotions service providers, as well as our
analytics and ratings service providers, to collect information
about your use of ABC digital services along with identifiers for
your device or browser.

We may separately disclose the information we collect about your
use of ABC digital services to third parties along with those same
identifiers. This includes disclosure to marketing and promotions
service providers, via a technology service provider called
Tealium, in order to serve you with more personalised and relevant
content. We may also disclose this information to some of our other
technology service providers.

Some third parties, such as Google and Facebook, may be able to
match information about your use of our digital services with
personal information they already have about you. The information
we disclose to Facebook, via Tealium, may also show them your email
address but only if it is already used for an account on their site.

These third parties may be located in Australia or outside
Australia, including but not limited to New Zealand, Singapore, the
UK, the Netherlands, Ireland, Israel, India, Canada and the USA.

The ABC has a statutory obligation to take contractual measures to
ensure that its contracted service providers do not do an act or
engage in a practice that would breach an Australian Privacy
Principle if done or engaged in by the ABC.

The ABC will not sell or receive payment for licensing or
disclosing your personal information.

The ABC may include links to third party content on its website and
in other electronic communications. The ABC does not have any
control over the privacy practices of those third parties. Please
check the website of each relevant third party for details of their
privacy policies. The ABC does not control who links to the
ABC\u2019s site."

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: iView

<igh4aoFq5daU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32&group=aus.tv#32

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.tv
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 16:14:47 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Tue, 18 May 2021 06:14 UTC

On 18/05/2021 10:22 am, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
> [...]
>
> These third parties may be located in Australia or outside
> Australia, including but not limited to New Zealand, Singapore, the
> UK, the Netherlands, Ireland, Israel, India, Canada and the USA.
>
> The ABC has a statutory obligation to take contractual measures to
> ensure that its contracted service providers do not do an act or
> engage in a practice that would breach an Australian Privacy
> Principle if done or engaged in by the ABC.
>
> The ABC will not sell or receive payment for licensing or
> disclosing your personal information.
>
> The ABC may include links to third party content on its website and
> in other electronic communications. The ABC does not have any
> control over the privacy practices of those third parties. Please
> check the website of each relevant third party for details of their
> privacy policies. The ABC does not control who links to the

Watching TV on air is anonymous, watching it on the internet is not.