If you keep anything long enough, you can throw it away.

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Dali Kubik One

SubjectAuthor
* Dali Kubik Onepinnerite
+* Re: Dali Kubik Onelkpo
|+* Re: Dali Kubik Onenewshound
||`* Re: Dali Kubik OneRod Speed
|| `* Re: Dali Kubik OneBrian Gaff \(Sofa\)
||  +- Re: Dali Kubik Onecharles
||  +- Re: Dali Kubik OneSteve Walker
||  +* Re: Dali Kubik OneSteve Walker
||  |+- Re: Dali Kubik OneRoderick Stewart
||  |`* Re: Dali Kubik OnePamela
||  | `* Re: Dali Kubik OneBob Latham
||  |  `* Re: Dali Kubik OneRoderick Stewart
||  |   +- Re: Dali Kubik Onecharles
||  |   `* Re: Dali Kubik OneJim Lesurf
||  |    `* Re: Dali Kubik OnePamela
||  |     +* Re: Dali Kubik OneMax Demian
||  |     |`- Re: Dali Kubik Onewilliamwright
||  |     +- Re: Dali Kubik OneBob Latham
||  |     `- Re: Dali Kubik OneJim Lesurf
||  `- Re: Dali Kubik Onewilliamwright
|`- Re: Dali Kubik Onepinnerite
+- Re: Dali Kubik Onecharles
+* Re: Dali Kubik OneAndy Bennet
|+- Re: Dali Kubik Onepinnerite
|`* Re: Dali Kubik OneGB
| +- Re: Dali Kubik OneRobin
| +* Re: Dali Kubik OneRoderick Stewart
| |`- Re: Dali Kubik OneRoderick Stewart
| `- Re: Dali Kubik OneRod Speed
+- Re: Dali Kubik Onenothanks
`* Re: Dali Kubik OnePaul
 `- Re: Dali Kubik Onepinnerite

Pages:12
Dali Kubik One

<20211215215410.bcc1c22ff61a81be202e4156@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30019&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#30019

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Subject: Dali Kubik One
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 21:54:10 +0000
 by: pinnerite - Wed, 15 Dec 2021 21:54 UTC

I need to buy a soundbar. The spec of the Dali sounds perfect.
Except I will want to fix it to the wall.
It has keyhole fixings on the back.
In my experience with these, it is hard to get a firm fixing.
Furthermore it may induce bass rattle.

Can anyone throw any light on this?

TIA

--
Mint 20.2, kernel 5.4.0-88-generic, Cinnamon 5.0.5
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 16GB of DRAM.

Re: Dali Kubik One

<j1v6ukFspalU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30020&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#30020

From: lkp...@coldmail.com (lkpo)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Dali Kubik One
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 09:01:53 +1100
 by: lkpo - Wed, 15 Dec 2021 22:01 UTC

pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote
> I need to buy a soundbar. The spec of the Dali sounds perfect.
> Except I will want to fix it to the wall.
> It has keyhole fixings on the back.
> In my experience with these, it is hard to get a firm fixing.

I don't fine that a problem with plug boards done that way.

Its really just a matter of how far the screws are screwed into the
rawlplug.

> Furthermore it may induce bass rattle.
>
> Can anyone throw any light on this?

Re: Dali Kubik One

<spdpea$82d$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30021&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#30021

From: sradclif...@gmail.com (newshound)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 22:15:36 +0000
 by: newshound - Wed, 15 Dec 2021 22:15 UTC

On 15/12/2021 22:01, lkpo wrote:
> pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote
>> I need to buy a soundbar. The spec of the Dali sounds perfect.
>> Except I will want to fix it to the wall.
>> It has keyhole fixings on the back.
>> In my experience with these, it is hard to get a firm fixing.
>
> I don't fine that a problem with plug boards done that way.
>
> Its really just a matter of how far the screws are screwed into the
> rawlplug.
>
>> Furthermore it may induce bass rattle.
>>
>> Can anyone throw any light on this?
>
> The screws need to be loose enough for you to engage the bar. Inevitably
this means you could get vibration if the sound levels are high enough.
One answer is to have a suitable soft packing between the bar and the
wall. Something like stick-on window draught strip might be suitable,
you might prefer something thicker. You need to compress the packing
sufficiently to allow the screws to engage, but leaving the packing
sufficiently compressed to suppress "rattle". You could use metal springs.

Re: Dali Kubik One

<j1vgq4F230U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30022&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#30022

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 11:50:08 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 00:50 UTC

newshound <sradcliffe544@gmail.com> wrote
> lkpo wrote
>> pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote

>>> I need to buy a soundbar. The spec of the Dali sounds perfect.
>>> Except I will want to fix it to the wall.
>>> It has keyhole fixings on the back.
>>> In my experience with these, it is hard to get a firm fixing.
>>
>> I don't fine that a problem with plug boards done that way.
>>
>> Its really just a matter of how far the screws are screwed into the
>> rawlplug.
>>
>>> Furthermore it may induce bass rattle.
>>>
>>> Can anyone throw any light on this?

> The screws need to be loose enough for you to engage the bar. Inevitably
> this means you could get vibration if the sound levels are high enough.

Nope, not when the back of the bar is springy enough
so that it isn't loose with the screws engaged.

> One answer is to have a suitable soft packing between the bar and the
> wall. Something like stick-on window draught strip might be suitable, you
> might prefer something thicker. You need to compress the packing
> sufficiently to allow the screws to engage, but leaving the packing
> sufficiently compressed to suppress "rattle". You could use metal springs.

Re: Dali Kubik One

<599ba60168charles@candehope.me.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30023&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#30023

From: char...@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 09:06:14 +0000 (GMT)
 by: charles - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 09:06 UTC

In article <20211215215410.bcc1c22ff61a81be202e4156@gmail.com>,
pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:
> I need to buy a soundbar. The spec of the Dali sounds perfect.
> Except I will want to fix it to the wall.
> It has keyhole fixings on the back.
> In my experience with these, it is hard to get a firm fixing.
> Furthermore it may induce bass rattle.

> Can anyone throw any light on this?

> TIA

If it rattles, you need to put the screw a bit further into the wall, so
there isn't any slack.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Re: Dali Kubik One

<spevnr$86p$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30024&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#30024

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 09:09:11 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 09:09 UTC

I do often wonder how many people have a perfectly adequate sound system of
however many channels in the same room but go out and buy a sound bar, which
in the main is not as well specified as the sound system in the first place.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote in message
> newshound <sradcliffe544@gmail.com> wrote
>> lkpo wrote
>>> pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote

>>> I don't fine that a problem with plug boards done that way.
>>>
>>> Its really just a matter of how far the screws are screwed into the
>>> rawlplug.

>> The screws need to be loose enough for you to engage the bar. Inevitably
>> this means you could get vibration if the sound levels are high enough.
>
> Nope, not when the back of the bar is springy enough
> so that it isn't loose with the screws engaged.
>
>> One answer is to have a suitable soft packing between the bar and the
>> wall. Something like stick-on window draught strip might be suitable, you
>> might prefer something thicker. You need to compress the packing
>> sufficiently to allow the screws to engage, but leaving the packing
>> sufficiently compressed to suppress "rattle". You could use metal
>> springs.

Re: Dali Kubik One

<PsKdnbtQiLhwnyb8nZ2dnUU78cednZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30025&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#30025

Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
From: abe...@benj.com (Andy Bennet)
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 09:12:13 +0000
 by: Andy Bennet - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 09:12 UTC

On 15/12/2021 21:54, pinnerite wrote:
> I need to buy a soundbar. The spec of the Dali sounds perfect.
> Except I will want to fix it to the wall.
> It has keyhole fixings on the back.
> In my experience with these, it is hard to get a firm fixing.
> Furthermore it may induce bass rattle.
>
> Can anyone throw any light on this?
>
> TIA

If you use countersunk screws you can fine tune the tightness

Re: Dali Kubik One

<20211216100954.884261c3c1642c3d3ec63830@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30026&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#30026

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 10:09:54 +0000
 by: pinnerite - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 10:09 UTC

On Thu, 16 Dec 2021 09:12:13 +0000
Andy Bennet <aben@benj.com> wrote:

> On 15/12/2021 21:54, pinnerite wrote:
> > I need to buy a soundbar. The spec of the Dali sounds perfect.
> > Except I will want to fix it to the wall.
> > It has keyhole fixings on the back.
> > In my experience with these, it is hard to get a firm fixing.
> > Furthermore it may induce bass rattle.
> >
> > Can anyone throw any light on this?
> >
> > TIA
> >

> If you use countersunk screws you can fine tune the tightness

I recently had to hang a Netgear Switch on a couple of woodscrews.
This is only a few inches across yet was a nightmare to get the tension right.
There are better ways of designing things. My first Switch slid diown onto a purpose-designed plate that was held by two screws. As the Switch was lowered onto the plate (actually two of them), it tightened. Gravity held it there.
A couple of keyholes that are place so that you cannot get to the heads of the screws without removing the device is just a throwaway solution.

I was hoping to hear from someone who had actually mounted one of these.

However, as usual the suggestions here invariably lead to motivating the brain cells. I may line the rear edges with draught excluder strip before pressing it onto the screw heads.

Thank you and everyone who replied for their help.

Alan

--
Mint 20.2, kernel 5.4.0-88-generic, Cinnamon 5.0.5
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 16GB of DRAM.

Re: Dali Kubik One

<599baed447charles@candehope.me.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30028&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#30028

From: char...@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 10:42:37 +0000 (GMT)
 by: charles - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 10:42 UTC

In article <spevnr$86p$1@dont-email.me>, Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)
<briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> I do often wonder how many people have a perfectly adequate sound system
> of however many channels in the same room but go out and buy a sound bar,
> which in the main is not as well specified as the sound system in the
> first place.
> Brian
I have a perfectly good sound system which can be fed from my main tv. the
tv in the kitchen benefits from a sound bar - as does this computer.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Re: Dali Kubik One

<spf7g4$nnr$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30032&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#30032

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 11:21:42 +0000
 by: GB - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 11:21 UTC

On 16/12/2021 09:12, Andy Bennet wrote:
> On 15/12/2021 21:54, pinnerite wrote:
>> I need to buy a soundbar. The spec of the Dali sounds perfect.
>> Except I will want to fix it to the wall.
>> It has keyhole fixings on the back.
>> In my experience with these, it is hard to get a firm fixing.
>> Furthermore it may induce bass rattle.
>>
>> Can anyone throw any light on this?
>>
>> TIA
>>

> If you use countersunk screws you can fine tune the tightness

I normally use countersunk screws, because that's what I have, but my
impression is that pan head would be better. (I usually only do this for
extension sockets.)

Re: Dali Kubik One

<spf7ma$roc$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30033&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#30033

From: ste...@walker-family.me.uk (Steve Walker)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 11:24:58 +0000
 by: Steve Walker - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 11:24 UTC

On 16/12/2021 09:09, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
> I do often wonder how many people have a perfectly adequate sound system of
> however many channels in the same room but go out and buy a sound bar, which
> in the main is not as well specified as the sound system in the first place.
> Brian

Re: Dali Kubik One

<spf7su$tgv$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30034&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#30034

From: ste...@walker-family.me.uk (Steve Walker)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 11:28:29 +0000
 by: Steve Walker - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 11:28 UTC

On 16/12/2021 09:09, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
> I do often wonder how many people have a perfectly adequate sound system of
> however many channels in the same room but go out and buy a sound bar, which
> in the main is not as well specified as the sound system in the first place.
> Brian

I have an excellent HiFi in the same room as the TV, but am considering
buying a soundbar. The HiFi speakers are positioned directly opposite
the settee for the best listening position, while the TV is in the
corner, for the best viewing position from more than one location in the
room. It's no good having stereo sound for the TV, when the audio and
visual source positions aren't matched.

Re: Dali Kubik One

<9255f2b8-2fe8-006c-93de-5fee7c1a65f1@outlook.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30035&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#30035

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 11:34:17 +0000
 by: Robin - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 11:34 UTC

On 16/12/2021 11:21, GB wrote:
> On 16/12/2021 09:12, Andy Bennet wrote:
>> On 15/12/2021 21:54, pinnerite wrote:
>>> I need to buy a soundbar. The spec of the Dali sounds perfect.
>>> Except I will want to fix it to the wall.
>>> It has keyhole fixings on the back.
>>> In my experience with these, it is hard to get a firm fixing.
>>> Furthermore it may induce bass rattle.
>>>
>>> Can anyone throw any light on this?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>

>> If you use countersunk screws you can fine tune the tightness
>>

> I normally use countersunk screws, because that's what I have, but my
> impression is that pan head would be better. (I usually only do this for
> extension sockets.)

and round head a tad better still as they add an element of
"self-centering" when mounting - though that may be just my delusion

--
Robin

Re: Dali Kubik One

<v99mrg51k3onh8d81qa3djr4bglg7ohlh7@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30038&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#30038

From: rjf...@escapetime.myzen.co.uk (Roderick Stewart)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 11:45:07 +0000
 by: Roderick Stewart - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 11:45 UTC

On Thu, 16 Dec 2021 11:28:29 +0000, Steve Walker
<steve@walker-family.me.uk> wrote:

>On 16/12/2021 09:09, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
>> I do often wonder how many people have a perfectly adequate sound system of
>> however many channels in the same room but go out and buy a sound bar, which
>> in the main is not as well specified as the sound system in the first place.
>> Brian
>
>I have an excellent HiFi in the same room as the TV, but am considering
>buying a soundbar. The HiFi speakers are positioned directly opposite
>the settee for the best listening position, while the TV is in the
>corner, for the best viewing position from more than one location in the
>room. It's no good having stereo sound for the TV, when the audio and
>visual source positions aren't matched.

You might do better to find a way of rearranging what you've already
got, rather than spend money on something new that probably won't
sound as good.

I've always assumed that the usual place for a TV became a corner
because this was a good way of hiding the depth of the box necessary
to house the neck of a CRT, but this no longer applies. Also, the
space opposite most of the seating would commonly be occupied by a
fireplace, but with modern central heating there's no need for
fireplaces so in many homes this need no longer apply either.

Rod.

Re: Dali Kubik One

<in9mrg5f8f2r84p9n687qq9kul63hupkkh@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30040&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#30040

From: rjf...@escapetime.myzen.co.uk (Roderick Stewart)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 11:48:14 +0000
 by: Roderick Stewart - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 11:48 UTC

On Thu, 16 Dec 2021 11:21:42 +0000, GB <NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid>
wrote:

>On 16/12/2021 09:12, Andy Bennet wrote:
>> On 15/12/2021 21:54, pinnerite wrote:
>>> I need to buy a soundbar. The spec of the Dali sounds perfect.
>>> Except I will want to fix it to the wall.
>>> It has keyhole fixings on the back.
>>> In my experience with these, it is hard to get a firm fixing.
>>> Furthermore it may induce bass rattle.
>>>
>>> Can anyone throw any light on this?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>

>> If you use countersunk screws you can fine tune the tightness
>>

>I normally use countersunk screws, because that's what I have, but my
>impression is that pan head would be better. (I usually only do this for
>extension sockets.)

Pan head screws are easier for locating things with keyhole slots, and
you can adjust the tightness, but it takes very small adjustments.

Rod.

Re: Dali Kubik One

<ht9mrgt564tjs91cj11r058bf9aj80ofu0@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30041&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#30041

From: rjf...@escapetime.myzen.co.uk (Roderick Stewart)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 11:49:23 +0000
 by: Roderick Stewart - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 11:49 UTC

On Thu, 16 Dec 2021 11:48:14 +0000, Roderick Stewart
<rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

>On Thu, 16 Dec 2021 11:21:42 +0000, GB <NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid>
>wrote:

>>> If you use countersunk screws you can fine tune the tightness
>>>

>>I normally use countersunk screws, because that's what I have, but my
>>impression is that pan head would be better. (I usually only do this for
>>extension sockets.)
>
>Pan head screws are easier for locating things with keyhole slots, and
>you can adjust the tightness, but it takes very small adjustments.
>
>Rod.

Actually I meant round heads.

Rod.

Re: Dali Kubik One

<j20uckF89bmU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30047&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#30047

From: notha...@aolbin.com
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 13:48:05 +0000
 by: notha...@aolbin.com - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 13:48 UTC

On 15/12/2021 21:54, pinnerite wrote:
> I need to buy a soundbar. The spec of the Dali sounds perfect.
> Except I will want to fix it to the wall.
> It has keyhole fixings on the back.
> In my experience with these, it is hard to get a firm fixing.
> Furthermore it may induce bass rattle.
>
> Can anyone throw any light on this?
>
> TIA

Make a sub-base, slightly larger than the bar, with counterbored holes
for soundbar fixings. Attach bar to sub-base (nuts and csk screw,
tightened from the back). Attach sub-base to wall. If the soundbar
fixings are int he central area I'd be tempted to use the narrowest
possible sub-base.

Re: Dali Kubik One

<j217srFa3j4U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30051&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#30051

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 03:30:17 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 16:30 UTC

GB <NOTsomeone@microsoft.invalid> wrote
> Andy Bennet wrote
>> pinnerite wrote

>>> I need to buy a soundbar. The spec of the Dali sounds perfect.
>>> Except I will want to fix it to the wall.
>>> It has keyhole fixings on the back.
>>> In my experience with these, it is hard to get a firm fixing.
>>> Furthermore it may induce bass rattle.

>>> Can anyone throw any light on this?

>> If you use countersunk screws you can fine tune the tightness

> I normally use countersunk screws, because that's what
> I have, but my impression is that pan head would be
> better. (I usually only do this for extension sockets.)

Yeah, I find they work better because they are flat where they
touch the keyhole slot. pinnerite clearly hates them tho.

Re: Dali Kubik One

<XnsAE02AD76D52E837B93@144.76.35.252>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30055&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#30055

From: pamela.p...@gmail.com (Pamela)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 17:03:07 GMT
 by: Pamela - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 17:03 UTC

On 11:28 16 Dec 2021, Steve Walker said:

> On 16/12/2021 09:09, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
>> I do often wonder how many people have a perfectly adequate sound
>> system of however many channels in the same room but go out and buy
>> a sound bar, which in the main is not as well specified as the
>> sound system in the first place.
>> Brian
>
> I have an excellent HiFi in the same room as the TV, but am
> considering buying a soundbar. The HiFi speakers are positioned
> directly opposite the settee for the best listening position, while
> the TV is in the corner, for the best viewing position from more
> than one location in the room. It's no good having stereo sound for
> the TV, when the audio and visual source positions aren't matched.

Even with enhanced stereo effects a soundbar doesn't really immerse the
viewer in the sound, no matter how swanky it is.

Trouble is a multi speaker system needs wires. Two speakers are okay but
four or more could be a nuisance.

Re: Dali Kubik One

<spgtvt$4h3$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30062&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#30062

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 21:51:29 -0500
 by: Paul - Fri, 17 Dec 2021 02:51 UTC

On 12/15/2021 4:54 PM, pinnerite wrote:
> I need to buy a soundbar. The spec of the Dali sounds perfect.
> Except I will want to fix it to the wall.
> It has keyhole fixings on the back.
> In my experience with these, it is hard to get a firm fixing.
> Furthermore it may induce bass rattle.
>
> Can anyone throw any light on this?
>
> TIA

It's 4x25W, so you've got two 25W woofers.

The cabinet is on page 3. If the end caps come
off easily, you can get a ratchet in there and
tighten up some screws. I'd fit one in the
top of the slot first, to define the level of
the soundbar, then put an additional screw at
the bottom of the slot, for rigidity. I would
try to find studs for this in the wall. Maybe by
some miracle the holes are on standard stud spacing?

https://www.dali-speakers.com/media/1667/kubik-one-whitepaper.pdf

You might also place a padding behind the unit and
make the screws a bit longer. I'd probably pick up a
couple lengths of screw at the store to cover both
possibilities. Try without the padding first and
do a sound test.

I think you'd need a wee bit more power than that
to cause problems. Like my buddy at work, who invited
a few of us over to see his home-built *stereo*
36 inch subs (front facing). Now, those made all
the gypsum board in the house shake :-) That could
have been a couple hundred watts each. Each cabinet had
more than one sand bag in it, to keep the subs
planted on the floor. To move the subs, you have to
open them, remove the sand first, then reposition
the subs. And really, what's the point of moving them ?
It's just one HUGE subsonic signal and it doesn't matter
where those things sat.

Paul

Re: Dali Kubik One

<j22m2vFieg9U2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30066&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#30066

From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (williamwright)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 05:38:39 +0000
 by: williamwright - Fri, 17 Dec 2021 05:38 UTC

On 16/12/2021 09:09, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
> I do often wonder how many people have a perfectly adequate sound system of
> however many channels in the same room but go out and buy a sound bar, which
> in the main is not as well specified as the sound system in the first place.

It's very common.

Bill

Re: Dali Kubik One

<20211217093359.c0e1e65c49c813d218298ad9@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30072&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#30072

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 09:33:59 +0000
 by: pinnerite - Fri, 17 Dec 2021 09:33 UTC

On Thu, 16 Dec 2021 21:51:29 -0500
Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

> On 12/15/2021 4:54 PM, pinnerite wrote:
> > I need to buy a soundbar. The spec of the Dali sounds perfect.
> > Except I will want to fix it to the wall.
> > It has keyhole fixings on the back.
> > In my experience with these, it is hard to get a firm fixing.
> > Furthermore it may induce bass rattle.
> >
> > Can anyone throw any light on this?
> >
> > TIA
> >

> It's 4x25W, so you've got two 25W woofers.
>
> The cabinet is on page 3. If the end caps come
> off easily, you can get a ratchet in there and
> tighten up some screws. I'd fit one in the
> top of the slot first, to define the level of
> the soundbar, then put an additional screw at
> the bottom of the slot, for rigidity. I would
> try to find studs for this in the wall. Maybe by
> some miracle the holes are on standard stud spacing?
>
> https://www.dali-speakers.com/media/1667/kubik-one-whitepaper.pdf
>
> You might also place a padding behind the unit and
> make the screws a bit longer. I'd probably pick up a
> couple lengths of screw at the store to cover both
> possibilities. Try without the padding first and
> do a sound test.
>
> I think you'd need a wee bit more power than that
> to cause problems. Like my buddy at work, who invited
> a few of us over to see his home-built *stereo*
> 36 inch subs (front facing). Now, those made all
> the gypsum board in the house shake :-) That could
> have been a couple hundred watts each. Each cabinet had
> more than one sand bag in it, to keep the subs
> planted on the floor. To move the subs, you have to
> open them, remove the sand first, then reposition
> the subs. And really, what's the point of moving them ?
> It's just one HUGE subsonic signal and it doesn't matter
> where those things sat.
>
> Paul

After reading the first few responses I bit the bullet and ordered one (and an audio/optical lead. neve come across those before). But I had not considered pulling the ends off might give access to the keyhole slots.

Thank you.

Alan

--
Mint 20.2, kernel 5.4.0-88-generic, Cinnamon 5.0.5
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 16GB of DRAM.

Re: Dali Kubik One

<599c2dc048bob@sick-of-spam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30075&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#30075

From: bob...@sick-of-spam.invalid (Bob Latham)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 09:48:53 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Bob Latham - Fri, 17 Dec 2021 09:48 UTC

In article <XnsAE02AD76D52E837B93@144.76.35.252>,
Pamela <pamela.private.mailbox@gmail.com> wrote:

> Even with enhanced stereo effects a soundbar doesn't really immerse
> the viewer in the sound, no matter how swanky it is.

Blimey! I agree with Pamela. :-)

In two rooms here (not the main hi-fi room) I have a Denon mini
system RCD-N9 and two speakers. They replaced two Sony sound bars.
Much better INHO.

Bob.

Re: Dali Kubik One

<561prg93p1qkksd6c8e5cogdua22juiv0c@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30083&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#30083

From: rjf...@escapetime.myzen.co.uk (Roderick Stewart)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 12:46:05 +0000
 by: Roderick Stewart - Fri, 17 Dec 2021 12:46 UTC

On Fri, 17 Dec 2021 09:48:53 +0000 (GMT), Bob Latham
<bob@sick-of-spam.invalid> wrote:

>In article <XnsAE02AD76D52E837B93@144.76.35.252>,
> Pamela <pamela.private.mailbox@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Even with enhanced stereo effects a soundbar doesn't really immerse
>> the viewer in the sound, no matter how swanky it is.
>
>Blimey! I agree with Pamela. :-)
>
>In two rooms here (not the main hi-fi room) I have a Denon mini
>system RCD-N9 and two speakers. They replaced two Sony sound bars.
>Much better INHO.
>
>Bob.

Similar story here. I have a pair of Bowers and Wilkins loudspeakers
either side of my TV screen, and I've never heard any modern sound
system that could honestly stand comparison with it. I bought the
loudspeakers around 1970, when hi-fi equipment was designed for sound,
not for looks, and good loudspeakers were built into proper wooden
boxes, not plastic tubes.

Rod.

Re: Dali Kubik One

<599c3f7c2ccharles@candehope.me.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30085&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#30085

From: char...@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 13:02:35 +0000 (GMT)
 by: charles - Fri, 17 Dec 2021 13:02 UTC

In article <561prg93p1qkksd6c8e5cogdua22juiv0c@4ax.com>,
Roderick Stewart <rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Dec 2021 09:48:53 +0000 (GMT), Bob Latham
> <bob@sick-of-spam.invalid> wrote:

> >In article <XnsAE02AD76D52E837B93@144.76.35.252>,
> > Pamela <pamela.private.mailbox@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Even with enhanced stereo effects a soundbar doesn't really immerse
> >> the viewer in the sound, no matter how swanky it is.
> >
> >Blimey! I agree with Pamela. :-)
> >
> >In two rooms here (not the main hi-fi room) I have a Denon mini
> >system RCD-N9 and two speakers. They replaced two Sony sound bars.
> >Much better INHO.
> >
> >Bob.

> Similar story here. I have a pair of Bowers and Wilkins loudspeakers
> either side of my TV screen, and I've never heard any modern sound
> system that could honestly stand comparison with it. I bought the
> loudspeakers around 1970, when hi-fi equipment was designed for sound,
> not for looks, and good loudspeakers were built into proper wooden
> boxes, not plastic tubes.

I've a pair of KEF Cabdenzas, now stored in the loft since management
thinks they are ugly.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England