Chemist who falls in acid is absorbed in work.

aus+uk / aus.cars / This is weird

SubjectAuthor
* This is weirdMighty Mouse
+* Re: This is weirdalvey
|`- Re: This is weirdMighty Mouse
+* Re: This is weirdNoddy
|`* Re: This is weirdMighty Mouse
| `* Re: This is weirdXeno
|  `* Re: This is weirdMighty Mouse
|   `- Re: This is weirdNoddy
`* Re: This is weirdClocky
 `* Re: This is weirdMighty Mouse
  `* Re: This is weirdNoddy
   `- Re: This is weirdMighty Mouse

1
This is weird

<krj0crFols4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30221&group=aus.cars#30221

From: meo...@pussie.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: This is weird
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 15:39:53 +1100
 by: Mighty Mouse - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 04:39 UTC

Since I've had the ZS, I've had to slam the drivers door hard to close
it. I had assumed it was due to the fitment of the door. but then I
discovered that the door closes easily if the window is down, or even
down just a little bit, so then I concluded that the problem was due to
air pressure in the vehicle. but here's the weird thing, if I'm outside
the car and close the door from the outside, it closes easily, which
doesn't make any sense if the problem is air pressure in the vehicle. ??

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: This is weird

<uj1l7n$1kl1p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30224&group=aus.cars#30224

From: Hans.And...@gmail.com (alvey)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Re: This is weird
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 15:33:38 +1000
 by: alvey - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 05:33 UTC

Mighty Mouse wrote:

> Since I've had the ZS, I've had to slam the drivers door hard to close
> it. I had assumed it was due to the fitment of the door. but then I
> discovered that the door closes easily if the window is down, or even
> down just a little bit, so then I concluded that the problem was due to
> air pressure in the vehicle. but here's the weird thing, if I'm outside
> the car and close the door from the outside, it closes easily, which
> doesn't make any sense if the problem is air pressure in the vehicle. ??

There's an obvious reason felix.
You're one of those people who suck all the air out of the room... :-)

alvey

Re: This is weird

<krj74qFq431U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30233&group=aus.cars#30233

From: meo...@pussie.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 17:35:06 +1100
 by: Mighty Mouse - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 06:35 UTC

alvey wrote:
> Mighty Mouse wrote:
>>
>> Since I've had the ZS, I've had to slam the drivers door hard to
>> close it. I had assumed it was due to the fitment of the door. but
>> then I discovered that the door closes easily if the window is down,
>> or even down just a little bit, so then I concluded that the problem
>> was due to air pressure in the vehicle. but here's the weird thing,
>> if I'm outside the car and close the door from the outside, it closes
>> easily, which doesn't make any sense if the problem is air pressure
>> in the vehicle. ??
>>

> There's an obvious reason felix.
> You're one of those people who suck all the air out of the room... :-)

Oh, OK then..

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: This is weird

<uj1qup$1lebg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30252&group=aus.cars#30252

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 18:11:18 +1100
 by: Noddy - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 07:11 UTC

On 15/11/2023 3:39 pm, Mighty Mouse wrote:

> Since I've had the ZS, I've had to slam the drivers door hard to close
> it. I had assumed it was due to the fitment of the door. but then I
> discovered that the door closes easily if the window is down, or even
> down just a little bit, so then I concluded that the problem was due to
> air pressure in the vehicle. but here's the weird thing, if I'm outside
> the car and close the door from the outside, it closes easily, which
> doesn't make any sense if the problem is air pressure in the vehicle. ??

It may sound stupid, but I've seen similar things and it's been due to
the way the door frame flexes when it's closed. Pushing the outside
handle makes the door shut differently than pulling it from the inside.
I'd also have a look at the top of the passenger's side door next time
you're in the car and shutting the driver's door. On some cars here is
enough force created by the closing of the driver's door to move the top
of the passenger's door open enough to see daylight through the gap :)

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: This is weird

<krja0dFqqllU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30259&group=aus.cars#30259

From: meo...@pussie.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 18:23:56 +1100
 by: Mighty Mouse - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 07:23 UTC

Noddy wrote:
> On 15/11/2023 3:39 pm, Mighty Mouse wrote:
>>
>> Since I've had the ZS, I've had to slam the drivers door hard to
>> close it. I had assumed it was due to the fitment of the door. but
>> then I discovered that the door closes easily if the window is down,
>> or even down just a little bit, so then I concluded that the problem
>> was due to air pressure in the vehicle. but here's the weird thing,
>> if I'm outside the car and close the door from the outside, it closes
>> easily, which doesn't make any sense if the problem is air pressure
>> in the vehicle. ??
>
> It may sound stupid, but I've seen similar things and it's been due to
> the way the door frame flexes when it's closed. Pushing the outside
> handle makes the door shut differently than pulling it from the inside.

interesting, thanks. makes sense

> I'd also have a look at the top of the passenger's side door next time
> you're in the car and shutting the driver's door. On some cars here is
> enough force created by the closing of the driver's door to move the
> top of the passenger's door open enough to see daylight through the
> gap :)

Ok I will

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: This is weird

<uj1v1t$1lvhn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30270&group=aus.cars#30270

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 16:20:40 +0800
 by: Clocky - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 08:20 UTC

On 15/11/2023 12:39 pm, Mighty Mouse wrote:

> Since I've had the ZS, I've had to slam the drivers door hard to close
> it. I had assumed it was due to the fitment of the door. but then I
> discovered that the door closes easily if the window is down, or even
> down just a little bit, so then I concluded that the problem was due to
> air pressure in the vehicle. but here's the weird thing, if I'm outside
> the car and close the door from the outside, it closes easily, which
> doesn't make any sense if the problem is air pressure in the vehicle. ??

Take note if you are closing the door from the outside the same distance
and with the same velocity as you would from inside after getting in.
Depending on the distance and rate of the swing on the door may also be
a factor in the speed in which the air is displaced.

--
In thread "May need to buy petrol soon" Sept 23 2021 11:15:59am
Keithr0 wrote: "He made the assertion either he proves it or he is a

On Sept 23 2021 3:16:29pm Keithr0 wrote:
"He asserts that the claim is true, so, if it is unproven, he is lying."

Re: This is weird

<krjgi7FsermU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30280&group=aus.cars#30280

From: meo...@pussie.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 20:15:51 +1100
 by: Mighty Mouse - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 09:15 UTC

Clocky wrote:
> On 15/11/2023 12:39 pm, Mighty Mouse wrote:
>>
>> Since I've had the ZS, I've had to slam the drivers door hard to
>> close it. I had assumed it was due to the fitment of the door. but
>> then I discovered that the door closes easily if the window is down,
>> or even down just a little bit, so then I concluded that the problem
>> was due to air pressure in the vehicle. but here's the weird thing,
>> if I'm outside the car and close the door from the outside, it closes
>> easily, which doesn't make any sense if the problem is air pressure
>> in the vehicle. ??
>>

> Take note if you are closing the door from the outside the same
> distance and with the same velocity as you would from inside after
> getting in. Depending on the distance and rate of the swing on the
> door may also be a factor in the speed in which the air is displaced.

it won't close properly from inside unless I slam it. on the outside I
just close it normally.

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: This is weird

<krjh0nFsbhcU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30281&group=aus.cars#30281

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 20:23:34 +1100
 by: Xeno - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 09:23 UTC

On 15/11/2023 6:23 pm, Mighty Mouse wrote:
> Noddy wrote:
>> On 15/11/2023 3:39 pm, Mighty Mouse wrote:
>>>
>>> Since I've had the ZS, I've had to slam the drivers door hard to
>>> close it. I had assumed it was due to the fitment of the door. but
>>> then I discovered that the door closes easily if the window is down,
>>> or even down just a little bit, so then I concluded that the problem
>>> was due to air pressure in the vehicle. but here's the weird thing,
>>> if I'm outside the car and close the door from the outside, it closes
>>> easily, which doesn't make any sense if the problem is air pressure
>>> in the vehicle. ??
>>
>> It may sound stupid, but I've seen similar things and it's been due to
>> the way the door frame flexes when it's closed. Pushing the outside
>> handle makes the door shut differently than pulling it from the inside.
>
> interesting, thanks. makes sense

Sounds like a load of old cobblers. Some decades ago, the design of car
doors changed. The older cars used to have a separate window A frame
which would flex easily. These days, and you can look at your own car to
see this, the door consists of an inner and an outer panel, both of
which go right from the bottom to the top of the door. They are much
stronger in the window surrounds because of this - hence the build up of
pressure internally when shutting the door.

>> I'd also have a look at the top of the passenger's side door next time
>> you're in the car and shutting the driver's door. On some cars here is
>> enough force created by the closing of the driver's door to move the
>> top of the passenger's door open enough to see daylight through the
>> gap :)

Maybe on Darren's choice of vehicle. It takes quite a bit of force these
days to move the A frame on decent quality cars, even when you want to
move it.

> Ok I will

What you would be better off doing would be to enter the vehicle, sit in
the seat and turn off the AC recirculate and onto fresh air. Then shut
the door. Try it with key on and key off - or with the fob present for
keyless start. While you're at it, try having someone else shut the door
from the outside while you're seated in the vehicle. And again when
you're not. Experiment a little.

The recirc. flap in the AC unit is the likely culprit. It's normal
behaviour courtesy of buying a car designed for Chinese city pollution
levels.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: This is weird

<krjj6nFt7v8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30295&group=aus.cars#30295

From: meo...@pussie.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 21:00:53 +1100
 by: Mighty Mouse - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 10:00 UTC

Xeno wrote:
> On 15/11/2023 6:23 pm, Mighty Mouse wrote:
>> Noddy wrote:

>>> It may sound stupid, but I've seen similar things and it's been due
>>> to the way the door frame flexes when it's closed. Pushing the
>>> outside handle makes the door shut differently than pulling it from
>>> the inside.
>>
>> interesting, thanks. makes sense
>
> Sounds like a load of old cobblers. Some decades ago, the design of
> car doors changed. The older cars used to have a separate window A
> frame which would flex easily. These days, and you can look at your
> own car to see this, the door consists of an inner and an outer panel,
> both of which go right from the bottom to the top of the door. They
> are much stronger in the window surrounds because of this - hence the
> build up of pressure internally when shutting the door.
>>
>>> I'd also have a look at the top of the passenger's side door next
>>> time you're in the car and shutting the driver's door. On some cars
>>> here is enough force created by the closing of the driver's door to
>>> move the top of the passenger's door open enough to see daylight
>>> through the gap :)
>>>
> Maybe on Darren's choice of vehicle. It takes quite a bit of force
> these days to move the A frame on decent quality cars, even when you
> want to move it.
>>
>> Ok I will
>>

> What you would be better off doing would be to enter the vehicle, sit
> in the seat and turn off the AC recirculate and onto fresh air. Then
> shut the door.

it's on fresh air by default

> Try it with key on and key off

OK

> - or with the fob present for keyless start. While you're at it, try
> having someone else shut the door from the outside while you're seated
> in the vehicle.
> And again when you're not. Experiment a little.

OK

> The recirc. flap in the AC unit is the likely culprit. It's normal
> behaviour courtesy of buying a car designed for Chinese city pollution
> levels.

I think these days car design has to be a composite and compromise of
all it's markets requirements

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: This is weird

<uj25n7$1ms0q$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30309&group=aus.cars#30309

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 21:15:02 +1100
 by: Noddy - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 10:15 UTC

On 15/11/2023 8:15 pm, Mighty Mouse wrote:

> it won't close properly from inside unless I slam it. on the outside I
> just close it normally.

There is also the leverage factor to take into account.

If you're like most people you shut the door on the outside with your
hand on the handle, in which case you are pushing the door at it's
furthest point from the hinge/pivot (or near enough to it) and are
employing the higher degree of mechanical leverage than you would be if
you were pulling the door closed on the inside using a handle that's
near the centre of the door.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: This is weird

<krjl07Ftjl1U4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30319&group=aus.cars#30319

From: meo...@pussie.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 21:31:35 +1100
 by: Mighty Mouse - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 10:31 UTC

Noddy wrote:
> On 15/11/2023 8:15 pm, Mighty Mouse wrote:
>
>> it won't close properly from inside unless I slam it. on the outside
>> I just close it normally.
>
> There is also the leverage factor to take into account.
>
> If you're like most people you shut the door on the outside with your
> hand on the handle, in which case you are pushing the door at it's
> furthest point from the hinge/pivot (or near enough to it) and are
> employing the higher degree of mechanical leverage than you would be
> if you were pulling the door closed on the inside using a handle
> that's near the centre of the door.

hmmm...

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: This is weird

<uj2794$1ms0q$7@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30325&group=aus.cars#30325

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 21:41:39 +1100
 by: Noddy - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 10:41 UTC

On 15/11/2023 9:00 pm, Mighty Mouse wrote:

> I think these days car design has to be a composite and compromise of
> all it's markets requirements

Some cars are. Generally the cheaper the car the more the degree of
compromise.

Regards,
Noddy.