From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Asus Z170-K
Date: 28 Jan 2023 10:17:55 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sat, 28 Jan 2023 10:17 UTC

This board has given good service, even though I hate it because I bent
all the CPU chips on the first one :-(

I have just spend 24 hours finding drivers for the SMBus and Intel
Management Engine because a Windows (10) update overwrote the proper
drivers, anyway fixed now.

I bought it about 6 years ago, If I decided to update, and I'm not sure I
do, what processor/chipset need to get similar/better performance?

A not very detailed investigation doesn't seem to turn up anything with
similar performance (admittedly based just on clock speed) let alone faster.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.

Re: Asus Z170-K

<k3ke37F4h7kU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3025&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3025

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Asus Z170-K
Date: 28 Jan 2023 11:09:28 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Sat, 28 Jan 2023 11:09 UTC

On 28 Jan 2023 at 10:17:55 GMT, ""Jeff Gaines"" <jgnewsid@outlook.com>
wrote:

> I bought it about 6 years ago, If I decided to update, and I'm not sure I
> do, what processor/chipset need to get similar/better performance?
>
> A not very detailed investigation doesn't seem to turn up anything with
> similar performance (admittedly based just on clock speed) let alone faster.

I'm running a Z170i/i7 from 2016 and have felt no need to upgrade.
They're up to Z6xx series now.

Around 2018 the internal interconnects in Intel chips got a biiiig
upgrade, so if you need faster multicore stuff it could make a
significant boost - at the same clock speeds. An i3 12xx series is going
to be considerably faster than an i5-7600K (the top end i5 at the time
you and I bought our machines) despite having lower clock speeds, for
instance.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"Don't drag me down to your level, meat."
-- Red Robot #C-63

Re: Asus Z170-K

<xn0nxduog6xp5000@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3026&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3026

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 28 Jan 2023 11:12:34 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sat, 28 Jan 2023 11:12 UTC

On 28/01/2023 in message <xn0nxdt8bj5sg000@news.individual.net> Jeff
Gaines wrote:

>I have just spend 24 hours finding drivers for the SMBus and Intel
>Management Engine because a Windows (10) update overwrote the proper
>drivers, anyway fixed now.

Just to add to this I have just discovered that the over-writing of the
drivers meant all my drive letters became jumbled and some backups failed.
I am now checking if any were written to the wrong place.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
I take full responsibility for what happened - that is why the person that

Re: Asus Z170-K

<xn0nxduszdhq4001@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3027&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3027

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 28 Jan 2023 11:17:40 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sat, 28 Jan 2023 11:17 UTC

On 28/01/2023 in message <k3ke37F4h7kU1@mid.individual.net> Jaimie
Vandenbergh wrote:

>Around 2018 the internal interconnects in Intel chips got a biiiig
>upgrade, so if you need faster multicore stuff it could make a
>significant boost - at the same clock speeds. An i3 12xx series is going
>to be considerably faster than an i5-7600K (the top end i5 at the time
>you and I bought our machines) despite having lower clock speeds, for
>instance.

Many thanks Jaimie :-)

The only multi core app I have is Cinebench which I occasionally run on
the HP Z620 just to see 24 cores in action!

I posted an update on the driver issue, may be worth your checking Device
Manager. I found lots of reports of the issue when I was trying to find
what caused it but haven't seen any general reports of it.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
I take full responsibility for what happened - that is why the person that
was responsible went immediately.
(Gordon Brown, April 2009)

Re: Asus Z170-K

<k3l3tcF7qj4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3028&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3028

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 28 Jan 2023 17:21:48 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Sat, 28 Jan 2023 17:21 UTC

On 28 Jan 2023 at 11:17:40 GMT, ""Jeff Gaines"" <jgnewsid@outlook.com>
wrote:

> On 28/01/2023 in message <k3ke37F4h7kU1@mid.individual.net> Jaimie
> Vandenbergh wrote:
>
>> Around 2018 the internal interconnects in Intel chips got a biiiig
>> upgrade, so if you need faster multicore stuff it could make a
>> significant boost - at the same clock speeds. An i3 12xx series is going
>> to be considerably faster than an i5-7600K (the top end i5 at the time
>> you and I bought our machines) despite having lower clock speeds, for
>> instance.
>
> Many thanks Jaimie :-)
>
> The only multi core app I have is Cinebench which I occasionally run on
> the HP Z620 just to see 24 cores in action!
>
> I posted an update on the driver issue, may be worth your checking Device
> Manager. I found lots of reports of the issue when I was trying to find
> what caused it but haven't seen any general reports of it.

Thanks - I've actually not booted up the winbox lately, so maybe I'll
have missed the bad update... fingers crossed!

Cheers - Jaimie (might leave it another couple of weeks to be sure)
--
d> It's OK. I'm an atheist catholic.
g> So you just feel guilty for /no readily apparent reason/.