I will make you shorter by the head. -- Elizabeth I

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Guide Dogs charity launches campaign against drivers parking on pavements

SubjectAuthor
* Guide Dogs charity launches campaign against drivers parking on pavementsSimon Mason
+- Re: Guide Dogs charity launches campaign against driversSpike
+* Re: Guide Dogs charity launches campaign against drivers parking on pavementsSimon Mason
|`* Re: Guide Dogs charity launches campaign against driversSpike
| `- Re: Guide Dogs charity launches campaign against drivers parkingJNugent
+- Re: Guide Dogs charity launches campaign against drivers parking on pavementsSimon Mason
+* Re: Guide Dogs charity launches campaign against drivers parking on pavementsSimon Mason
|+- Re: Guide Dogs charity launches campaign against driversSpike
|`- Re: Guide Dogs charity launches campaign against drivers parkingJNugent
+- Re: Guide Dogs charity launches campaign against drivers parking on pavementsSimon Mason
+* Re: Guide Dogs charity launches campaign against drivers parking on pavementsSimon Mason
|+- Re: Guide Dogs charity launches campaign against driversSpike
|`- Re: Guide Dogs charity launches campaign against drivers parkingJNugent
+* Re: Guide Dogs charity launches campaign against drivers parking on pavementsSimon Mason
|+- Re: Guide Dogs charity launches campaign against driversSpike
|`- Re: Guide Dogs charity launches campaign against drivers parkingJNugent
+* Re: Guide Dogs charity launches campaign against drivers parking on pavementsSimon Mason
|`- Re: Guide Dogs charity launches campaign against driversSpike
`* Re: Guide Dogs charity launches campaign against drivers parking on pavementsSimon Mason
 +- Re: Guide Dogs charity launches campaign against drivers parkingJNugent
 `* Re: Guide Dogs charity launches campaign against drivers parking on pavementsSimon Mason
  `- Re: Guide Dogs charity launches campaign against drivers parking on pavementsSimon Mason

1
Guide Dogs charity launches campaign against drivers parking on pavements

<4743fa97-d583-40d0-b4cd-71584154ebe4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30369&group=uk.rec.cycling#30369

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 05:22:51 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Guide Dogs charity launches campaign against drivers parking on pavements
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 12:22 UTC

The Guide Dogs charity has started a petition calling on the Government to crack down on pavement parking.

The organisation, which supports people with sight loss, said vehicles obstructing footpaths could cause those with vision impairments huge difficulties as they're forced to walk in the road.

For those who use guide dogs often their only option is to step into busy roads as they move around parked cars – this puts them at risk.

Clare Williams, who owns guide dog Quita, told the BBC pavement parking makes simple tasks an 'obstacle course'.

The Department for Transport launched a consultation in 2020 but the charity said no progress had been made since. The Government said a response would be published in due course.

Clare Williams, who owns guide dog Quita, said pavement parking makes simple tasks an 'obstacle course'.

The charity, which supports people with sight loss, has started a petition which calls on the Government to crack down on pavement parking

Ms Williams, from Smethwick, said: 'Pavement parking is not just a nuisance, it's dangerous for all pedestrians but especially those of us with visual impairments.

'In my experience, simple tasks like going shopping can turn into a scary obstacle course as my guide dog helps me to negotiate cars parked on the pavement meaning we have to walk in the road until we have passed the car.

Ms Williams added that she takes her own safety 'very seriously' and does not want to have to walk in the road.

Eleanor Briggs, from Guide Dogs, which is based in Bishop's Tachbrook, Warwickshire, said cars blocking the way undermines pedestrians with vision impairments' confidence to live independently.

'This daily threat can mean people can't safely get to work, education or to see friends.

'We welcomed the Government's recognition of the problem, but now is the time to make good on their promise of action and give local councils the power to tackle problem pavement parking in their areas,' she added.

A DfT spokesman said: 'Everyone should be able to navigate their streets without obstacle, and we continue to work with charities to keep pavements clear.'

They added that local authorities do have powers to prohibit pavement parking.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12539839/Guide-Dogs-charity-launches-campaign-against-drivers-parking-pavements-forcing-blind-partially-sighted-walkers-road.html

Re: Guide Dogs charity launches campaign against drivers parking on pavements

<kn09aoFsuf0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30371&group=uk.rec.cycling#30371

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Guide Dogs charity launches campaign against drivers
parking on pavements
Date: 20 Sep 2023 13:10:48 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 13:10 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

> The Guide Dogs charity has started a petition calling on the Government
> to crack down on pavement…

Yes? Yes?

> parking.

For just a wild moment there, one was expecting to see the word ‘pavement’
followed by ‘cycling’.

--
Spike

Re: Guide Dogs charity launches campaign against drivers parking on pavements

<bcf7458d-af6a-4863-b6a3-05eaa30f91a8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30372&group=uk.rec.cycling#30372

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 06:44:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 13:44 UTC

Shadow boy, Sheffield, United Kingdom, 2 hours ago

Also prevents prams and wheelchairs passing safely.

Re: Guide Dogs charity launches campaign against drivers parking on pavements

<kn0vm3F1tbkU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30399&group=uk.rec.cycling#30399

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
parking on pavements
Date: 20 Sep 2023 19:32:19 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 19:32 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
> Shadow boy, Sheffield, United Kingdom, 2 hours ago
>
> Also prevents prams and wheelchairs passing safely.

Pavement parking means less chance for a pedestrian to be mown down by a
pavement cyclists.

You can see why cyclists want the pavement cleared, using prams,
pushchairs, and the visually-handicapped as a lever.

--
Spike

Re: Guide Dogs charity launches campaign against drivers parking on pavements

<95874a24-679f-4258-b953-616db0deaae8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30401&group=uk.rec.cycling#30401

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 12:40:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 19:40 UTC

tax payer, Chester, United Kingdom, 8 hours ago

No Parking on Verges & Kerbs - got MY VOTE -

Re: Guide Dogs charity launches campaign against drivers parking on pavements

<15f622ea-1cd9-4369-9b0e-f75f6cd1501en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30407&group=uk.rec.cycling#30407

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 13:03:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 20:03 UTC

QUOTE: The organisation, which supports people with sight loss, said vehicles obstructing footpaths could cause those with vision impairments huge difficulties as they're forced to walk in the road. ENDS

No pedestrian should be "forced" to walk in the road due to selfish drivers - disabled or not.

Re: Guide Dogs charity launches campaign against drivers parking on pavements

<kn135tF2e4qU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30408&group=uk.rec.cycling#30408

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
parking on pavements
Date: 20 Sep 2023 20:31:57 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 20:31 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
> QUOTE: The organisation, which supports people with sight loss, said
> vehicles obstructing footpaths could cause those with vision impairments
> huge difficulties as they're forced to walk in the road. ENDS
>
> No pedestrian should be "forced" to walk in the road due to selfish
> drivers - disabled or not.

Tell that to Auriol Grey.

--
Spike

Re: Guide Dogs charity launches campaign against drivers parking on pavements

<6fb15730-25d0-4a0b-ab0c-c8217347a66en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30412&group=uk.rec.cycling#30412

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 14:03:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 21:03 UTC

QUOTE: Ms Williams, from Smethwick, said: 'Pavement parking is not just a nuisance, it's dangerous for all pedestrians but especially those of us with visual impairments.

'In my experience, simple tasks like going shopping can turn into a scary obstacle course as my guide dog helps me to negotiate cars parked on the pavement meaning we have to walk in the road until we have passed the car.

Ms Williams added that she takes her own safety 'very seriously' and does not want to have to walk in the road. ENDS

Good thing that your guide dog is trained to deal with these selfish twats.
You should not have to put up with their unwelcome and hazardous behaviours.
Take care!

Re: Guide Dogs charity launches campaign against drivers parking on pavements

<kn22d1F7384U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30424&group=uk.rec.cycling#30424

From: jennings...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Guide Dogs charity launches campaign against drivers parking
on pavements
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 00:24:49 -0500
 by: JNugent - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 05:24 UTC

On 20/09/2023 14:32, Spike wrote:
> Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Shadow boy, Sheffield, United Kingdom, 2 hours ago
>>
>> Also prevents prams and wheelchairs passing safely.
>
> Pavement parking means less chance for a pedestrian to be mown down by a
> pavement cyclists.
>
> You can see why cyclists want the pavement cleared, using prams,
> pushchairs, and the visually-handicapped as a lever.

+1.

Re: Guide Dogs charity launches campaign against drivers parking on pavements

<kn22epF7384U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30425&group=uk.rec.cycling#30425

From: jennings...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
on pavements
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 00:25:45 -0500
 by: JNugent - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 05:25 UTC

On 20/09/2023 15:03, Simon Mason wrote:

> QUOTE: The organisation, which supports people with sight loss, said vehicles obstructing footpaths could cause those with vision impairments huge difficulties as they're forced to walk in the road. ENDS
>
> No pedestrian should be "forced" to walk in the road due to selfish drivers - disabled or not.

No pedestrian should be forced to walk in the road due to selfish chavs
on bikes (like May Sun) - disabled or not.

Re: Guide Dogs charity launches campaign against drivers parking on pavements

<e06799d4-ab78-4a0d-a07a-2b6d77de25adn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30429&group=uk.rec.cycling#30429

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 22:56:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 05:56 UTC

QUOTE: 'This daily threat can mean people can't safely get to work, education or to see friends. 'We welcomed the Government's recognition of the problem, but now is the time to make good on their promise of action and give local councils the power to tackle problem pavement parking in their areas,' she added ENDS

Start clamping the bastards - that'll stop it.

Re: Guide Dogs charity launches campaign against drivers parking on pavements

<kn2c43F8id7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30430&group=uk.rec.cycling#30430

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
parking on pavements
Date: 21 Sep 2023 08:10:43 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 08:10 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
> QUOTE: 'This daily threat can mean people can't safely get to work,
> education or to see friends. 'We welcomed the Government's recognition of
> the problem, but now is the time to make good on their promise of action
> and give local councils the power to tackle problem pavement parking in
> their areas,' she added ENDS

> Start clamping the bastards - that'll stop it.

If you clamp the bastard’s vehicles, they won’t be able to drive them away
and so the problem will be worse!

You didn’t think this one through, did you?

--
Spike

Re: Guide Dogs charity launches campaign against drivers parking on pavements

<cfede1f0-17e1-4f5b-99f1-129f0c3ad0ddn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30434&group=uk.rec.cycling#30434

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 02:55:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 09:55 UTC

QUOTE: A DfT spokesman said: 'Everyone should be able to navigate their streets without obstacle, and we continue to work with charities to keep pavements clear.' ENDS

You also need to alter the selfish mindset of the idiots who block pavements for vulnerable people and fine them hard.

Re: Guide Dogs charity launches campaign against drivers parking on pavements

<kn2ibrF9h95U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30435&group=uk.rec.cycling#30435

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
parking on pavements
Date: 21 Sep 2023 09:57:15 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 09:57 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
> QUOTE: A DfT spokesman said: 'Everyone should be able to navigate their
> streets without obstacle, and we continue to work with charities to keep
> pavements clear.' ENDS

> You also need to alter the selfish mindset of the idiots who block
> pavements for vulnerable people and fine them hard.

Tell that to Auriol Grey.

--
Spike

Re: Guide Dogs charity launches campaign against drivers parking on pavements

<0ce4e150-4ee8-4059-ae5e-db13f52c68edn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30438&group=uk.rec.cycling#30438

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 03:03:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 10:03 UTC

QUOTE: Clare Williams, who owns guide dog Quita, told the BBC pavement parking makes simple tasks an 'obstacle course'. ENDS

They don't give a toss, Clare.

Re: Guide Dogs charity launches campaign against drivers parking on pavements

<kn34opFcbj4U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30455&group=uk.rec.cycling#30455

From: jennings...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
on pavements
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 10:11:22 -0500
 by: JNugent - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 15:11 UTC

On 21/09/2023 00:56, Simon Mason wrote:
> QUOTE: 'This daily threat can mean people can't safely get to work, education or to see friends. 'We welcomed the Government's recognition of the problem, but now is the time to make good on their promise of action and give local councils the power to tackle problem pavement parking in their areas,' she added ENDS
>
> Start clamping the bastards - that'll stop it.

Er...

You haven't thought that through, have you? :-)

Keep to the mopping and polishing.

Re: Guide Dogs charity launches campaign against drivers parking on pavements

<kn34r5Fcbj4U4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30457&group=uk.rec.cycling#30457

From: jennings...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
on pavements
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 10:12:37 -0500
 by: JNugent - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 15:12 UTC

On 21/09/2023 04:55, Simon Mason wrote:

> QUOTE: A DfT spokesman said: 'Everyone should be able to navigate their streets without obstacle...

....unles they're in a car or delivery van?

Re: Guide Dogs charity launches campaign against drivers parking on pavements

<81e6b79b-3f6e-42e3-8ae2-d5ddee4c54a8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30459&group=uk.rec.cycling#30459

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 08:15:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 15:15 UTC

AN URGENT warning has been issued to drivers as police officers begin a crackdown on motorists who leave their cars on pavements.

South Yorkshire Police embarked on a campaign to end dangerous parking earlier this year. Since then, over 400 drivers have been punished by the police for committing parking offences in Sheffield. The force has now warned that motorists will face action if their cars are adjudged to be blocking a pavement or a cycle lane.

It added that drivers who parked in a way that impeded cyclists and pedestrians would face £100 fines and three points on their licence, YorkshireLive reported.

Since the operation started in May, South Yorkshire Police received 261 tips from members of the public, who were invited to share images and videos of inconsiderate and selfish parkers.

Officers added that they took action in most of the cases. Some of those cases have even made their way to court. Inspector Kevin Smith said: "We are beginning to see some cases go to court, which will be the ultimate test of the procedure.

“That 261 doesn't include TORs (Traffic Offence Reports) issued by my newly trained PCSOs/PCs for dangerous parking offences they have witnessed – that figure would be north of 400.”

The force added that it will not be stopping any time soon and is asking the public to report any incidents of dangerous parking.

[...]

The police's operational document reads: "The police cannot be everywhere. This initiative relies on the help of active citizens to help enforce the law and make the roads safer.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1662157/driver-warning-parking-police-crackdown-pavement-parking

Re: Guide Dogs charity launches campaign against drivers parking on pavements

<kn3o0rFfa4qU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30468&group=uk.rec.cycling#30468

From: jennings...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
on pavements
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 15:39:56 -0500
 by: JNugent - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 20:39 UTC

On 21/09/2023 10:15, Simon Mason wrote:

> AN URGENT warning has been issued to drivers as police officers begin a crackdown on motorists who leave their cars on pavements.
>
> South Yorkshire Police embarked on a campaign to end dangerous parking earlier this year. Since then, over 400 drivers have been punished by the police for committing parking offences in Sheffield. The force has now warned that motorists will face action if their cars are adjudged to be blocking a pavement or a cycle lane.
>
> It added that drivers who parked in a way that impeded cyclists and pedestrians would face £100 fines and three points on their licence, YorkshireLive reported.

Under which Section of which Act?

Re: Guide Dogs charity launches campaign against drivers parking on pavements

<c04ed6de-1a37-4d0f-bb6e-dc699e68313an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30472&group=uk.rec.cycling#30472

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 13:44:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 20:44 UTC

The introduction of a Traffic Regulation Order in the New Year would allow parking enforcement officers to clamp down on drivers who park on the pavement. Fines for £70 (£35 if paid within 14 days) will apply under the new rules.

The ban will be enforced across the city centre in phases and will include some of the busiest streets such as West Street and Arundel Gate. Signs will inform drivers of the ban.

The police can still fine drivers for obstructing the footway.

Councillor Douglas Johnson, Executive Member for Executive Member for Climate Change, Environment and Transport at Sheffield City Council said:

“We know that pavement parking is a real problem in the city centre, with parked cars causing dangers and inconvenience for people every-day, as it restricts access and often forces people out into the road. People using wheelchairs and prams are often most affected.

“This proposed ban will help to make sure that people can get where they want to go safely and easily. We need to make sure that our city centre is inclusive and accessible for everyone who visits and we’re taking this step to stop people parking selfishly and hindering others.

“We receive a high number of complaints about pavement parking and I’m pleased that we’re now able to take this action which will hopefully act as a deterrent to those who choose to break the rules. There are plenty of on-street and off-street cark parks in the city centre that are available to use, and I want it to be clear that parking on the pavement is not an option.”

Parking enforcement officers can currently fine drivers for parking on the pavement or grass verges if they have parked on a street with waiting restrictions i.e. yellow lines. Under the new plans, fines can also be issued to vehicles parked on a footpath next to:

Controlled crossing zigzags
Bus stop clearways
Parking bays
Unrestricted roads

Residents and business affected by the proposals will be contacted directly to inform them of the plans with the opportunity to provide feedback. They will be able to flag up any real difficulties that the proposals could cause them, which will be considered by the council.

https://sheffnews.com/news/new-plans-to-clamp-down-on-city-centre-pavement-parking

Re: Guide Dogs charity launches campaign against drivers parking on pavements

<kn3pijFfj4cU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30484&group=uk.rec.cycling#30484

From: aero.sp...@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
parking on pavements
Date: 21 Sep 2023 21:06:27 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 21:06 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
> QUOTE: Clare Williams, who owns guide dog Quita, told the BBC pavement
> parking makes simple tasks an 'obstacle course'. ENDS
>
> They don't give a toss, Clare.

Heaven help the poor, and the maimed, and the halt, and the blind, when
pavements are cleared and cyclists speed along them shouting “Get out of
the fucking way, I’m not stopping!”. They don’t give a toss, you see.

--
Spike

Re: Guide Dogs charity launches campaign against drivers parking on pavements

<febd9d06-3489-46b5-b560-5271b092bc79n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30488&group=uk.rec.cycling#30488

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 14:12:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 21:12 UTC

The authority’s cabinet will meet next week to sign off its response to the Department for Transport (DfT) consultation which could see a London-style total ban on pavement parking rolled out across England.

The draft response which members are asked to agree on says the council supports the idea of traffic wardens being given authority to ticket cars for obstructing pavements, which can currently only be dealt with by way of a police-issued fixed penalty notice.

The report, by Steve Brown, the council’s head of highways and environment, says a change in the law is needed to put an end to the problem, but does not go as far as to support a complete nationwide ban.

It says the second of the DfT’s three options would best address the issue. Option one is that ongoing improvements to traffic regulation orders are sufficient, while option three is a complete ban.

Option two, which cabinet members are urged to support, is: “Legislative change to allow local authorities with civil parking enforcement (CPE) powers to enforce against ‘unnecessary obstruction of the pavement’.”

This would not however remove enforcement powers from the police, who would still be responsible for dealing with the most serious incidents.

The report adds that clear guidance would be required from government to help define an “unnecessary obstruction”.

It says: “Without such clarity the council could potentially become the arbiter between those understandably wanting clear pavements for accessibility and those who live in narrow streets who have no choice than to park on the footway near their homes or to receive deliveries and still allow the free flow of traffic on a case by case basis potentially leading to a further lack of clarity.

“Therefore, whilst redefining responsibilities for enforcement could be welcomed in offering a joined-up approach to the end-user, necessary guidance providing clarification on definitions and enforcement protocols should be included within any new powers transferred to the local authority so that everyone can be clear on what constitutes a contravention.

“It is recommended that a request for such guidance is included within our response to the consultation if this option were to be selected by government.”

The report says a complete ban, except in areas specifically designated by the council for pavement parking, would “present several issues in respect of visual impact, impact upon our town’s local economies and potential maintenance issues”.

Shropshire Council has received 15 complaints from members of the public about pavement parking in the last two years, and the report adds: “It is safe to assume that there are potentially many unreported concerns or comments relating to this issue.”

Cabinet members will discuss the report and agree the council’s response to the consultation at a meeting on Monday.