Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 06:56:31 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Girl, 9, killed after being struck by tractor while riding bike is named
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 13:56 UTC

A nine-year-old girl who died in a crash with a tractor while riding her bike has been named.

Naomi Ferrans was struck during her school lunch break near New Cumnock, Ayrshire.

The collision in Castle Place happened at around 12.35pm on Monday.

Emergency services attended but the youngster was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police Scotland said the driver stopped after the crash and enquiries are ongoing to establish the full circumstances.

The road was closed for more than seven hours for investigations after the tragedy happened.

Tributes have poured in for Naomi following her death, with one person describing her on Facebook as "one of a kind" with a "cheeky personality".

"No matter where she was, she brought smiles to people's faces, may you rest in peace little angel," the tribute said.

Naomi played for Cumnock Juniors Girls FC, which shared a tribute describing how she will be "forever in our thoughts", along with a broken heart emoji.

The club said all training had been cancelled in the wake of the fatal collision.

'Completely heartbroken'

Local councillor Neill Watts said: "This is an absolutely awful tragedy to happen within our community.

"Words cannot express the feelings of sadness.

"I know the New Cumnock community is in deep shock and completely heartbroken by this incident.

"My thoughts and prayers with the family and the community in New Cumnock at this extremely difficult and emotional time."

Inspector Craig Beaver said: "Our thoughts are with the family and friends of Naomi at this difficult time and we ask that their privacy is respected.

"Our enquiries are ongoing and we are appealing for anyone who witnessed the incident and who hasn't already spoken to officers to get in touch.

"I would also appeal to anyone who was in the area around the time and who may have dash-cam footage which could assist to contact us."

https://news.sky.com/story/east-ayrshire-girl-9-dies-after-crash-involving-bicycle-and-tractor-in-new-cumnock-12964743