"Silent gratitude isn't very much use to anyone." -- G. B. Stearn

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Re: Loading.... Buffering...

+* Re: Loading.... Buffering...Indy Jess John
|+* Re: Loading.... Buffering...Andy Burns
||`* Re: Loading.... Buffering...Andy Burns
|| `- Re: Loading.... Buffering...Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)
|`- Re: Loading.... Buffering...Jim Lesurf
`- Re: Loading.... Buffering...Mark Undrill

<sqh9nd$eov$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30443&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#30443

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Loading.... Buffering...
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 09:28:09 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 09:28 UTC

On some of the free online channels on my samsung TV despite a fast
internet connection, and it being up close to the router, on some channels
you get this drop out and it might happen several times while you watch a
program.
Intriguingly, in the main it does not affect the program at all, it tends
to be just as the ad breaks start or during them, as if the ads were coming
from a different server with a poor bandwidth or different routing. Has
anyone else encountered this. Similarly, on the Amazon Echo Dot which is
connected to the music account, one often now gets a small dropout as well.
That never used to happen. Monitoring of the broadband sees an almost
perfect 200 meg feed and a 20meg feed back with little latency, but if you
watch specific pings you do tend to get issues. Are we seeing overload of
the internet at certain times, places and routings? So it does not matter
what reliability your broadband has if the system falls apart
internationally then. Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Re: Loading.... Buffering...

<sqhbgk$ocb$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30444&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#30444

From: bathwatc...@OMITTHISgooglemail.com (Indy Jess John)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: Loading.... Buffering...
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 09:58:43 +0000
 by: Indy Jess John - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 09:58 UTC

On 29/12/2021 09:28, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
> So it does not matter
> what reliability your broadband has if the system falls apart
> internationally then.

Your broadband speed is only the first leg of an internet connection. It
is what you get for the connection to your ISP. Anything that isn't
available on your ISP's own server has to contend with all other uses of
the external links.

With much of the working population currently working from home and the
pandemic plus the winter weather encouraging more use of mobiles and
home computers for entertainment, the internet usage has more than
doubled according to some reports in the press. This is bound to make
queues for packets awaiting transmission on the busiest links.

This is most noticeable on popular services such as Youtube videos. At
busy times the almost unwatchable because of the duration of all the
pauses, and I don't bother with the stream as it arrives, I let it get
to end then play it again from the browser cache.

Jim

Re: Loading.... Buffering...

<sqhcmg$vlv$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30445&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#30445

From: spa...@invalid.invalid (Mark Undrill)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 10:18:55 +0000
 by: Mark Undrill - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 10:18 UTC

On 29/12/2021 09:28, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
> On some of the free online channels on my samsung TV despite a fast
> internet connection, and it being up close to the router, on some channels
> you get this drop out and it might happen several times while you watch a
> program.
> Intriguingly, in the main it does not affect the program at all, it tends
> to be just as the ad breaks start or during them, as if the ads were coming
> from a different server with a poor bandwidth or different routing. Has
> anyone else encountered this.
>
> <snip>

As far as I know, Ad breaks in streams from commercial channel services
ARE served from different servers which the streaming device has to "go
fetch" when it encounters an ad break marker in the stream. I expect
this is what you are experiencing.

Mark

Re: Loading.... Buffering...

<j32spkFnb43U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30446&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#30446

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 10:49:23 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 10:49 UTC

Indy Jess John wrote:

> With much of the working population currently working from home and the pandemic
> plus the winter weather encouraging more use of mobiles and home computers for
> entertainment, the internet usage has more than doubled according to some
> reports in the press.

Sounds about right, for my main customer we tripled the bandwidth going into
covid, and actually usage only doubled, but it's nice to have the headroom.

> This is bound to make queues for packets awaiting
> transmission on the busiest links.

Thankfully I have noticed no such thing.

> This is most noticeable on popular services such as Youtube videos. At busy
> times the almost unwatchable because of the duration of all the pauses, and I
> don't bother with the stream as it arrives, I let it get to end then play it
> again from the browser cache.

Again, that doesn't happen here, I watch far more youtube than TV, and buffering
is almost non-existent, I can scrub-back and forth along timelines.

Videos from "newspaper" websites are the ones that I find buffer for ever, I
assume they are bandwidth started at the server-end.

Re: Loading.... Buffering...

<j32t3mFnbroU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30447&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#30447

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 10:54:45 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 10:54 UTC

Andy Burns wrote:

> Videos from "newspaper" websites are the ones that I find buffer for ever, I
> assume they are bandwidth started at the server-end.

s/started/starved/

Re: Loading.... Buffering...

<59a277188cnoise@audiomisc.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30448&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#30448

From: noi...@audiomisc.co.uk (Jim Lesurf)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 14:47:14 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Jim Lesurf - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 14:47 UTC

In article <sqhbgk$ocb$1@dont-email.me>, Indy Jess John
<bathwatchdog@OMITTHISgooglemail.com> wrote:

> This is most noticeable on popular services such as Youtube videos. At
> busy times the almost unwatchable because of the duration of all the
> pauses, and I don't bother with the stream as it arrives, I let it get
> to end then play it again from the browser cache.

FWIW since we have a useable limit-per-month that only actually applies
between 9am and 12-midnight I simply use get-iplayer for BBC and the
equivalent for yootoob to fetch items as AV files. These generally actually
come far quicker than 'watching'. And can then be played from the local
file.

I get most of them before 9am so keep well clear of the 'cap' on my
connection quantity/month. That in turn means the connection is usually
fast during the day as well as I don't get a local 'throttle' applied if I
actually have fetched more than what would be the limit if during the
limited periods. So can also occasionally get something just before I want
to watch it.

Jim

Electronics https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/intro/electron.htm

Re: Loading.... Buffering...

<sqknt5$ego$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30473&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#30473

From: bria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Brian Gaff \(Sofa\))
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 16:48:32 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) - Thu, 30 Dec 2021 16:48 UTC

I think often the beginnings of lack of net neutrality in the states can be
to blame where certain services pay for packet priority over some networks.
I hope somebody has stop this free for all in the US brought in by Mr Trump.